Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Who's John ShinRa? ❯ Tears on Her Face ( Chapter 29 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: I do not own the rights to FFVII.
 
 
Chapter 29: Tears on Her Face
 
The morning breeze cooled the crisp air as Cid Highwind walked through the growing town of Kalm. He felt refreshed with a renewed vigor that inspired him. He hadn't woken up so energized in a long time and a wry smile crept on his face as he realized why. He stretched out his arms wondering when Shera would wake-up. It was unusual for Cid to work without getting Shera to help him, but this morning she looked so peaceful when she slept. He didn't have the heart to wake her. Besides, he wanted to inspect the Highwind alone this morning. It was Cid's way of helping him think with a clear conscious. There were a lot of things he wanted to do and he needed to find the direction where the wind was blowing him.
 
He finally found the Highwind parked just outside the city limits. She was a shining example of beauty as the waking dawn shed its light on her metal frame. Cid stroked the side of airship with a gentleness he didn't know he possessed until recently. The simple smoothness of her curves and almost unblemished surface brought a smile to his lips. Sliding his fingers against her, he thought he could hear her sigh in satisfaction. Her frame was sturdy weathering all types of storms, yet at the same time malleable to his touch. It was with pride that he learned every nut and bolt on her as well as the way she would shift ever so slightly to the right whenever he pushed too hard. She was always there for him and stood by him in even the worst of times. Gazing proudly at the large airship he wondered if he could build another beauty like her, one he could build with Shera: together.
 
“Well girl. You do me proud,” Cid smiled as he ran his hand down the side of the Highwind.
 
Cid turned in time to see Nanaki walking up towards him with Kaya in tow and Sersa being carried in a stretcher by Johnson and Burns.
 
“Yo, Nanaki! You guys ready to head off?” Cid asked.
 
“We're ready. I think Kaya's eager to finally see Cosmo Canyon.” Nanaki smiled at his mate who looked apprehensively at the Highwind.
 
“How does that large mechanical building fly?” Kaya asked.
 
“I could stand here for hours explaining the technical side of flying, but that might bore ya. But you don't have to worry about a thing. The Highwind's the best airship on this planet and I should know. Your boyfriend over there has ridden it plenty of times so he can vouch for me.”
 
Nanaki rubbed his nose in Kaya's mane tenderly. “It's safe. You'll enjoy the view you get while up in the air so don't worry.”
 
“I'm sure. I'm just a bit nervous. There are so many things that are new to me.” Kaya turned to Sersa as she was being carried onto the airship. “Mother? Have you ever been on one of these before?”
 
“Yes, a long time ago when I was still a cub. These things were much smaller back then,” Sersa replied before she was carted into the main hull of the Highwind.
 
Nanaki turned to Cid with a bright smiled on his face. “So I guess we'll be parting for now.”
 
“Yeah. Don't worry about things over here. Barret and I have it all covered.”
 
Nanaki shook his head and tried his best not to laugh. “Be sure to let me know if anything comes up. I can come over and help if the need arises.”
 
Cid laughed as he scratched Nanaki behind the ears. “We will. For now just enjoy your time in Cosmo Canyon. And be sure to tell old Bugenhagen we said `hi.'”
 
“I'll be sure to do that. I can't wait to introduce him to Kaya.”
 
“I'm excited too. Do you think that your grandfather will like me?” Kaya asked Nanaki.
 
“He will. I'm sure of it.”
 
Cid watched the pair's close interaction with a smile on his face. Normally, he would make a rude or off-colored remark to kill the mood, but today he enjoyed watching the couple interact. He would have continued to enjoy the cute scene had he not heard the shrill scream of someone calling his name.
 
“HIGHWIND!”
 
Cid turned to see an extremely irate woman by the name of Donna Wallace walking towards him with murderous rage in her eyes. Behind Donna, Cid could see Shera wearing nothing but a bed sheet trying to reason with the woman. However, the soft sounds of Shera's voice were drowned out by Donna's echoing scream.
 
“You best be getting this girl to a church right now mister or there's gonna be a lotta pain in your future!” Donna's voice boomed across the plains.
 
“Ah hell!” Cid cursed before running over to Shera to try and protect her dignity.
 
“Don't you `ah hell' me! Come over here so you can save this girl some of her honor.”
 
“Ms. Wallace, it's really alright. It might be a bit rushed to have us get married right away,” Shera stammered with a blush. She was trying her best to cover herself with the thin sheets, which did more to attract attention to her, especially the attention of men.
 
“Shera! I don't need you walking out of here naked,” Cid draped his bomber jacket around her shoulders. “Lord knows what all these perverts in town are thinking.” Cid glared at the group of men who had gathered as he rubbed Shera's shoulders tenderly.
 
“The only pervert I see here is you Mr. Highwind! I can't believe you took advantage of her like that!” Donna said.
 
“I didn't take advantage of Shera. We're both consenting adults.”
 
“Then you both can consent to getting married like honest folks. Now come on while I get Shera something more decent to wear,” Donna grabbed Cid's arm and dragged him along with her. Shera hugged the jacket around her with one of her arms while the other clung to Cid with her dear life.
 
Nanaki and Kaya stood still in their spots as they watched the humans march or be dragged off to a church. Nanaki watched in amusement while Kaya's ear twitched in curiosity.
 
“Do all humans mate like that?” Kaya asked.
 
“No, not all. Whatever you see Cid do, never think of it as normal. Cid is . . . unique that way.” Nanaki answered.
 
 
* * *
 
 
Rufus passed through the bouncing beam of light once again as he skidded Mortius to a halt. It was his tenth run of the track that night and one of the few times he had beaten Tifa since they've been practicing. Panting, he stumbled off of Mortius and gave the chocobo an appreciative pat on the side before letting the bird wander off to the trough of water nearby. Rufus sat down on the brightly lit track and sighed. He never knew that racing took so much energy.
 
Tifa had finished dismounting Sabina and let the chocobo drink heavily from the water trough, which made Rufus realize that he was incredibly thirsty. Licking his parched lips, he stared at the two chocobos slurping up water with satisfaction. He was so preoccupied with watching the chocobos drink, he didn't notice Tifa handing him a bottle of water until he felt the cold bottle pressed up against his neck.
 
“Here. I got these from the cooler in the staging room nearby,” Tifa smiled.
 
“Thanks.” Rufus gratefully took the water and chugged the refreshing liquid down. Tifa had regained some of her cheer after ironing out the agreement with Dio over the use of Cloud's name. It was probably because of the training, but a part of him hoped that it was because he played a part in helping her feel better.
 
Tifa joined Rufus on the floor sipping on her water. “You've definitely improved in the last few runs we've had. I think you might have a chance against Joe tomorrow.”
 
“I better. That bastard needs to learn the word humility. But thanks for helping me out.”
 
“Don't worry about it. I'm just as invested in this race as you are.” Tifa said as she watched Sabina and Mortius nuzzling affectionately against each other. “Sabina deserves to have a choice in who she wants to mate with.”
 
Rufus chuckled. “I think Sabina's already chosen. She probably doesn't want anyone else as her mate.”
 
“Too true. You can't ever force these things. They just sorta . . . happen.” Tifa smiled turning to face her friend. “Right?”
 
Rufus nodded, looking into Tifa's eyes. “Love's like that.”
 
Before either of them could say anything else, Yuffie trotted towards them on Maru who happily bounced up and down, sharing the excitement of her mistress.
 
“Alright guys! I've got everything set up for tomorrow so we can catch Chaos!” Yuffie said as she jumped off of Maru, carelessly dropping some pamphlets on the ground. “I had a little trouble getting past those dumb F.U.C.'s, but I had Ace distract them while I snuck past.”
 
Rufus stared at Yuffie debating whether or not he should strangle her to death.
 
“That's good to hear. I hope you didn't have too much trouble with those people you were talking about,” Tifa said.
 
“Oh, you mean the F.U.C.'s? Nah, they were harmless.” Yuffie scrambled on the ground and picked up one of the fallen pamphlets. “Here, let me show you.”
 
Rufus and Tifa leaned in to read the leaflet. On the pamphlet was information about the cruel treatment of racing chocobos after they've lost their value on the tracks. There were statistics and pictures of sad looking chocobos that were waiting for the slaughter. It was a fairly effective leaflet trying to persuade people away from chocobo racing. However, the pamphlet's biggest flaw was the large bold letters that stood out from everything else: Sponsored by the Friends for Underprivileged Chocobos.
 
Pausing for a moment, Rufus wasn't sure if he should burst out laughing or start to feel sympathy for racing chocobos. “Is this supposed to be a joke or are they serious?”
 
“Well, if you saw how serious they were when they were protesting, I'm sure you'd know that they weren't joking. But their name is seriously lame. I wonder who came up with their name? Probably the head of the F.U.C.'s or someone who's a fuckhead!” Yuffie giggled.
 
Tifa and Rufus stared at Yuffie for a moment before bursting out into fits of laughter.
 
“That's the dumbest name I've ever heard an organization give itself. It is just me or is everyone in Gold Saucer a bunch of idiots?” Rufus asked clutching his stomach.
 
Tifa nodded her head as she laughed. “You're right, they're all idiots!”
 
“More like dumb fucks!” Yuffie grinned.
 
Rufus and Tifa laughed even harder, leaning against each other for support. Tifa was laughing so hard, she was practically crying. They were so tired from racing that anything Yuffie said sounded hilarious and holding one another for support seemed natural. It also didn't help that Yuffie noticed how close they were getting and was now purposely trying to get them to laugh so hard that they would fall all over each other into a precariously intimate position. The young ninja was far too crafty for her own good.
 
Unfortunately, her plans were foiled by her ever-so-endearing boyfriend who barged in with the layouts for the plan tomorrow. “Hey Babe. I brought the blueprints of the racetrack like you wanted me to.”
 
Tifa and Rufus's laughter died down as they sat up straight. Yuffie pouted as she watched them remove their hands from each other and bring them back to their sides. She glared at Ace briefly before grabbing the blueprints from him and sitting down hastily in front of her comrades.
 
“Okay, listen up folks! Here's a blueprint of the racetrack. All those little X's are places were I put up traps along the track. Memorize them. I don't want to hear anyone complain that they didn't know where a trap was. I was even nice and drew the safest path you should run.” Yuffie smirked as she handed out copies of the blueprints to everyone. “I talked Dio into canceling any races tomorrow before the `Weakest Chocobo' so no one accidentally springs one of the traps I've been taking my time setting up. Tomorrow during the races, we're going to ride on one of the chocobos that's competing in the `Weakest Chocobo.'”
 
“You're letting me ride one too, right?” Ace asked.
 
“You betcha! You're riding on `Dog Food' since he's the biggest.”
 
“Sweet! I'll get to use my board-blade again,” Ace pumped his fist in the air.
 
Tifa shook her head remembering the last time Ace fought while Rufus tried his best to stifle a laugh.
 
“Tifa. I have you riding `Glue,' while I'm going to take `Cannon Fodder.' Both our chocobos aren't that fast and hard to control so we've gotta be careful. John, you're going to ride the new chocobo who's going to join the race tomorrow. I hear that the chocobo's pretty fast, just not suitable for the races. Not sure why.”
 
“Guess I'll find out tomorrow. So is the game plan to shoot on sight or are we supposed to lure him to a certain spot?” Rufus asked.
 
“It's shoot on sight! I'm hoping we'll be able to kill Chaos off when he least expects it. He'll be distracted by the thoughts of chasing after dinner and won't think that dinner's going to fight back.” Yuffie said triumphantly. “And if we don't manage to kill Chaos and he escapes, Dio's going to seal up the hole he goes through with metal, cement and anything else that will keep him away.”
 
Rufus nodded his head after hearing Yuffie's plan. “So it looks like we've only got one shot at him tomorrow and if we fail, hopefully he'll get the message that he's not wanted at Gold Saucer.”
 
“Exactamundo!” Yuffie said cheerfully. “Now that everyone knows the plan, I need to double check all the traps to make sure that they're working properly. Come on Ace, let's go.”
 
As Ace and Yuffie walked off together, Tifa thought she saw the ninja wink at her before running off down the track. Tifa sighed as she shook her head at the young girl. She turned back and smiled as she saw Sabina and Mortius cuddled up next to each other sleeping. John's right. They already have chosen each other as mates. It would be cruel to separate them.
 
Rufus smiled also witnessing the interaction between Sabina and Mortius. Watching the two chocobos warmed his heart as he memorized the scene. He was racing to preserve the bond that the two chocobos shared. If chocobos were anything like humans, then both of them would be heartbroken if they had to be split apart.
 
“I'm going to win,” Rufus said suddenly.
 
“Huh?”
 
“I'm going to win, Tifa. No matter what. I won't let Joe beat me. I swear it.” Rufus stared at Mortius and Sabina as he made his oath.
 
Tifa gazed at him with respect as she nodded her head in agreement. “Yeah, you'll win. I just wish there was more we could do to help get you ready for tomorrow.”
 
Rufus sat and thought for a moment before his head shot up. “Hey, Tifa? Do you think Ester could get us some videos of Joe's races? I think if maybe I watch him race, I can get an idea as to how to beat him.”
 
“That's a great idea. Follow me. Let's go see if Ester has any.” Tifa sat up and dusted herself off before running out to the jockey holding area.
 
After speaking with Ester for a few minutes, Rufus and Tifa found themselves in a private room with a video screen and a stack of tapes covering Joe's races.
 
“Okay, this should be recordings of all of Joe's races. Think you'll be okay on your own for a while?” Tifa asked.
 
“Yeah. This will keep me entertained for the rest of the evening. I'm sure if I study them enough, I can figure out some strategy to beat him.” Rufus said as he scanned the various tapes.
 
“Well don't stay up too late. You have an important race tomorrow. I'll take care of getting Mortius into the stables so he can rest properly.” Tifa said as she opened the door to leave. “Oh, John?”
 
“Hmm?”
 
“In case I don't get a chance to tell you tomorrow, Good Luck!”
 
Rufus smiled and nodded his head. He felt his confidence rise as Tifa's lithe figure walked out of the room leaving him with the video's of Joe's races. With people like Tifa and Yuffie supporting him, he had to win. Losing was not going to be an option.
 
He pulled his attention back to the video monitor and began the tiresome task of studying the races. So far the results were all the same. Joe would pull in front and somehow keep Teioh at a strong pace throughout the race until the finish. Teioh would never tire: he was almost like a machine. No one seemed to be able to keep up with Joe, not even Cloud who skillfully rode Mortius in all of his races. Winning against Joe seemed to be a far stretch based on the videos. Joe had the clear advantage with Teioh and he always ran the same route skillfully maneuvering through the twists and turns on the track. His racing was flawless. Rufus was about to switch to the next tape when he noticed something peculiar about Teioh during the race he was watching. Pausing, Rufus rewound the tape until he could see the anomaly again. Not quite believing his eyes, he played the scene over and over again. He checked another tape to make sure that what he was seeing wasn't simply a trick of the camera. But the results were the same. Rufus sat back in his chair solemnly finally realizing the secret behind Joe's winning streak. Now was the question of how he was going to use this information to his advantage.
 
 
* * *
 
 
She couldn't believe it. It was the day she had always dreamed of since she was a little girl and now she was finally living it. Shera was getting married. Elmyra had somehow found a plain white wedding dress for her to wear and Donna had forced Cid into a dusty old tuxedo that one of the residents of Kalm loaned him. Shera felt a little self-conscious about wearing all white considering, but this was the only dress Elmyra could find in town on such short notice. She was surprised that only two hours after Donna had found her in Cid's bed that she was now waiting inside a small church in Kalm.
 
A part of her was still in disbelief that she and Cid had gotten as close as they had recently. Before Cid left to fight Sephiroth, she would have never thought that Cid Highwind would have any sort of romantic or sexual feelings for her. That left her with the doubt of whether or not Cid really wanted to go through with this. She didn't know if he loved her or was only going to marry her because Donna would string him up by his toes until he did. After all, she'd never heard him say those three words yet.
 
“Ms. Shera?” a soft voice asked.
 
Shera looked down to see Marlene dressed in a frilly pink dress staring up at her with soft brown eyes. “Yes Marlene?”
 
“You look really pretty.”
 
Shera smiled at the child's sincerity. If only Cid could be like that. “Thank you Marlene. You look beautiful too in that cute pink dress.”
 
“Auntie Elmyra picked it out for me. She says that I'm going to be the flower girl,” Marlene said as she curtsied.
 
“And what a beautiful flower girl you'll be,” Shera said trying to hide the doubt on her face.
 
Marlene gazed up curiously at Shera's face. “Aren't you happy Ms. Shera?”
 
“Oh, I'm happy. After all, I'm getting married, right?” Shera stammered, startled over the girl's question.
 
“But, you look sad. Are you sad about something?”
 
Shera didn't know how to answer that question. She was sad, but how could you explain to a young girl that you weren't sure if your future husband loved you the same way that you did. “I don't know sweetie. I don't know why I'm sad.”
 
Marlene pursed her lips for a moment before breaking out into a smile. “Don't worry Ms. Shera. Un'ca Cid will make you happy once you get married. He told me so.”
 
“He did?”
 
“Un huh! He said so this morning while you were still sleeping. So don't be sad cause Un'ca Cid wants you to be happy.”
 
Shera smiled hearing Marlene's words. She squat down and kissed the little girl on the cheek and brushed a stray lock of hair back. “Thank you Marlene. I think I can be happy now.”
 
The door opened and Barret walked in wearing a suit that was made for a man with slightly more fat than muscle. “You girls ready?”
 
“Yeah!” Marlene said excitedly as Shera shyly nodded her head.
 
“That's my girl. Come on. Let's show everyone the pretty dress that Elmyra bought you.” Barret took Marlene's hand. “Shera, once you hear the music, that's your cue to come out. Try not to give the old man a heart attack with your good looks,” Barret said with a wink.
 
Shera stood in the room by herself blushing as she recalled what Marlene told her. Cid wanted to make her happy. Maybe this marriage could work. Maybe she could find herself living the dream of becoming Shera Highwind in both body and soul. And maybe, just maybe, deep down underneath that gruff exterior, Cid actually loved her.
 
Before she had time to ruminate on the matter anymore, the soft tones of an organ echoed through the church. It was time. Taking a deep breath, Shera hesitantly opened the door and stepped out onto the aisle that was sprinkled with flower petals. Raising her head, she saw Cid's jaw drop. His eyes never left hers as she saw his face brighten every step she took towards him. She couldn't believe it at first, but as she drew closer and closer to the alter, it was unmistakable. Cid loved her.
 
Shera couldn't stop the tears from spilling down her cheeks. She knew that she was going to cry at her wedding, but never did she think she would break down like she did. Once she reached Cid, he started to wipe away her tears with the sleeve of his jacket. His face was etched in worry and seeing that only made Shera cry even more because it showed that Cid cared.
 
“Shera, what's wrong? You don't like this? We can stop if ya want?” Cid asked completely unsure of himself.
 
Shera shook her head as she held onto Cid's hand tenderly. It was wet with all of the tears she'd been crying; tears that he was catching in his rough calloused hands. “Nothing's wrong. I don't want to stop this.”
 
“But . . . you're crying.”
 
Shera looked into Cid's blue eyes and laughed, sniffing away a few tears. “I'm happy Cid. I'm crying because . . . you make me happy. I'm sorry I made you worry.”
 
Cid shook his head with a wry smile. “I'll never understand women. But as long as you're happy.”
 
The ceremony was short and to the point. Exactly the way Cid and Shera wanted it. Barret had made them a pair of rings out of some scraps of mythril that he collected in the mines. Donna and Casey had thrown some streamers and white chiffon around the church to set the mood. Everyone contributed what he or she could and though it wasn't the wedding that Shera had always dreamed of, it was still perfect. Even their first kiss as husband and wife felt right. He was gentle yet possessive at the same time. He didn't even seem to mind when a bit of her lipstick remained smudged on the corner of his lips. She was now Shera Highwind, Cid's wife. That was all that mattered.
 
 
* * *
 
 
Kaya stared with wide-eyes as she watched the ground move faster than she ever imagined. Trees looked like tiny green dots as large mountains seemed to be only pebbles lying on the ground. The clouds looked more and more like white powder puffs of rabbit fur the closer she was to it. She couldn't even describe the shimmering sea of the ocean when they finally flew past that. It was the first time she had seen it and the sight took her breath away. She always wondered what it was like to fly like a bird and now she knew: it was exhilarating.
 
“This is so much fun. I can't believe we're actually flying.”
 
Nanaki laughed. “You remind me of when I first flew in the Highwind some time ago. But after a while, you get used to it.”
 
“Do you ever lose the excitement?”
 
“No, never.” Nanaki smiled licking Kaya's nose.
 
“So we'll be in Cosmo Canyon soon?”
 
“Yes, soon.”
 
“I'm so excited. I can't stop moving. Though I wish we could have stayed to see Cid and Shera mate. I was curious as to what it would be like.”
 
Nanaki nearly choked hearing Kaya, forgetting that she wasn't accustomed to the different human interactions and customs.
 
“I do not think they would have appreciated that dear Kaya.” Sersa smirked. “Humans are different when it comes to their mating rituals. They make it very complicated and sometimes do unnecessary and confusing things that will take some time for you to understand.”
 
“But mother, will I ever get a chance to see some human customs?”
 
Nanaki quickly answered. “There have been occasional weddings in Cosmo Canyon. I'm sure you'll have a chance to see them. As much as I would have liked to see Shera and Cid get married as well, I know Cid and given the situation, he probably didn't want anyone to see him get married.”
 
Sersa pursed her lips in confusion. “Humans are so confusing.”
 
Sersa chuckled as he listened to the conversation. Watching Nanaki and Kaya playing with each other lightened the mood. The moving scenery also helped ease her mind off of the pain in her muscles. The world really was a beautiful place and she was glad that she got to see it in all of its splendor and glory from the Highwind. If she had the energy, Sersa would probably be walking around excitedly as her daughter. But what energy she had she needed to save. She was born in Cosmo Canyon and she would die there.
 
“How much longer until we get to Cosmo Canyon?” Sersa asked the pilot.
 
“Fifteen more minutes or so. We just past over the Wutai-Cosmo strait so it shouldn't be too long now.”
 
Sersa nodded and returned to watching her daughter and her mate playfully interact. Those two were special. They were going to be the Canyon's future, she could feel it.
 
Meanwhile, deep within the tunnels of Cosmo Canyon, an old man laboriously floated down the stairs. It had been getting harder and harder to move around the canyon these days. His bones creaked more and his eyes were used to younger, more youthful days when he didn't need to squint as much. Bugenhagen was getting old, too old. He thought he had at least another decade or two in him. The cheerful old man laughed to himself. If anything, at least his heart stayed young. But it wasn't the time to think about things like that. Nanaki was returning home and Bugenhagen was determined to great him when he arrived.
 
Just as Bugenhagen had managed to make his way outside to the canyon floor, the wind picked up blowing dust and debris around. The noise from the Highwind drew many of the town's residents out to watch the curious sight. The Highwind touched down and the people of Cosmo Canyon smiled as they saw their protector and hero run out of the airship towards the town.
 
Shouts of joy echoed off the rocks. “Nanaki is home! The Guardian of Cosmo Canyon has returned!”
 
Nanaki leaped into the center of the crowd, relishing the welcome his friends were giving him. He peered out into the crowd looking for the familiar face of his grandfather. He didn't have to look far as the loud boisterous laugh of Bugenhagen rang nearby.
 
“Grandfather!”
 
“It's good to see you Nanaki. I see you've been well. Is there any reason for your happiness lately?” Bugenhagen asked suspiciously.
 
“Yes there is. I want you to meet her,” Nanaki said in a rush as he bounced back and forth.
 
Bugenhagen watched in amusement as Nanaki ran through the crowd only to return a short time later with his new mate. She stood tall and confident with only a slight tinge of nervousness in her eyes. There was no hesitation when she bowed graciously before him with an air that spoke of her respect for him.
 
“Honorable Elder Bugenhagen. It is a pleasure to meet you. I am Kaya, daughter of Sersa, mate of Nanaki. I wish that you take me in as a resident of Cosmo Canyon and an adopted granddaughter.”
 
“Oh no sweet child. The honor is mine,” Bugenhagen bowed his head politely. “For you have made my grandson happy and there's nothing more that this old man could ask for.”
 
Kaya's eyes lit up as she heard the kind remarks. She looked towards Nanaki who winked at her with a smile. “Thank you Bugenhagen. I'm grateful that you all will have me.”
 
Bugenhagen smiled at Kaya and then gazed up to see someone he hadn't seen in a long time. She was weak and could barely stand on her own legs, but she was also strong-willed and remembered the respect and teachings of the Canyon. “Sersa, it's been a while my child.”
 
“Hello Elder Bugenhagen. It has been a while.” Sersa said with a reserved smile. Her knees were shaking, but she could not fall. It would be a stain on her honor and pride to show disrespect to an Elder despite her injuries. She also had to atone for what she did and for running away when her tribe was in need. She was afraid back then, but lost that fear long ago. “Elder, I--”
 
Bugenhagen raised his hand to interrupt her. “Rest. You're injured and I worry more for your health than whether or not you remember our customs. We'll talk later.”
 
Sersa collapsed down on the floor in exhaustion. “Thank you Elder.”
 
Kaya rushed to her mother's side, eyes laced with worry. “Are you alright Mother? Do you need anything?”
 
“I'm fine Kaya. I just need to lie here for a moment.” Sersa smiled as she breathed in the fresh air and smelled the fine dust of the canyon. “It's good to be back home.”
 
“So this is home now.” Kaya said softly. “It's beautiful.”
 
“Isn't my dear?” Bugenhagen asked. “Nanaki, why don't you show your blushing bride around the canyon. Sersa and I have a lot of catching up to do.”
 
“Yes grandfather.” Nanaki bowed to both Bugenhagen and Sersa before he left, talking animatedly to Kaya.
 
Bugenhagen and Sersa watched passively as the two lovers walked away from the town square. The crowd slowly dispersed, following Nanaki and his chosen mate. The Elder and Sersa patiently waited until they were the only ones left standing.
 
Sersa eyed the Elder warily before finally speaking. “I see that the Cosmo Candle still burns as brightly as ever.”
 
“It burns to light the paths of all the children of Cosmo Canyon. Even yourself.”
 
“That may be, but I do not think I am worthy of its radiant light.”
 
Bugenhagen chuckled. “I never thought I'd see the day when the proud Sersa, daughter of Merinda felt that she was unworthy of anything. Is there any reason why you should feel unworthy of the Candle's warmth?”
 
“Yes, I afraid that there is,” Sersa said as she bowed her head low. “As everyone knew, I was involved with Nattak. But I made a mistake with him. I was careless and accidentally showed him all the weaknesses of Cosmo Canyon. I already heard from Nanaki the grave consequences for my actions. I fear that Cosmo Canyon will never be the same because of me.”
 
Bugenhagen sat down and sighed as he looked at Sersa with sympathy and acceptance. “None of my wisdom can completely wash away the guilt you must be feeling. But I do not think that the Candle will shy its rays away from you because you fell in love. Everyone makes mistakes. The real question is what your intentions were when you made the mistake and the reparations you've made to repair it. I think in your case, you had no intention of providing someone in the Gi tribe with the canyon's weaknesses. I know you too well. It was not your fault that some rebel Gi used that information against us. You didn't know what would happen. And in terms of the reparations, I think you've done enough by bringing your daughter into this world. She and Nanaki may very well be the last of their kind. You give the canyon hope and because of that, the Candle will always bless you with its warmth.”
 
The Cosmo Candle blazed brightly for a second as if agreeing with Bugenhagen's words. Sersa closed her eyes as warm tears spilled from her eyes. She felt like a great weight had been lifted off of her. “Thank you Elder for your kind words and for finding a way to forgive me for what I have done.”
 
“Why should I forgive you when I should be thanking you for making sure that Nanaki will be happy when I finally pass on.” Bugenhagen smiled. “We're both not getting any younger and as much as great-grandchildren would lighten this old man's heart, I fear that neither of us will be able to see that.”
 
“Then you know?” Sersa looked up at Bugenhagen expectantly.
 
“Yes. I know. When you've lived as long as I have and have seen as many people on the verge of death, you learn to see the signs. Are you afraid?”
 
Sersa shook her head.
 
“Good. As you should be. But come. Tell me more about what you've been doing since I last saw you and what you've taught Kaya.” Bugenhagen laughed boisterously.
 
Hours passed in Cosmo Canyon as the sun slowly started to set in the East. The Highwind had long since departed returning to Kalm and the news about this afternoon's surprise visit had already spread throughout the entire canyon. The sky was painted in purples and pinks stretching across the sky to infinity. It was on top of a cliff overlooking the vast plains of the canyon where Nanaki and Kaya stood before a hero.
 
Taking a cautious step, Nanaki walked forward pausing next to the stone statue of the brave Seto. “Father, I've returned. I know we haven't talked much, but I wanted you to meet someone. She's my mate, Kaya.”
 
Kaya walked in front of Seto and bowed in respect. “Hello honorable Seto. I am Kaya, daughter of Sersa and your son's chosen mate.”
 
Though Seto couldn't move, the pair almost thought that his mouth curled up in a smile underneath the stone.
 
“I'm glad you approve. I hope that we'll be able to visit you again soon to show you your grandchildren.” Nanaki said as he smiled secretly to Kaya. “But we wanted to watch the sunset with you tonight if that's alright with you. Kaya has never seen a Cosmo Canyon sunset and I wanted her to share that experience with you.”
 
Small teardrops trickled down the façade of Seto's face as he stood with his son and daughter-in-law. Though Seto had seen the sun set in the canyon since he was born, none of them compared to the beauty of the sunset tonight. Tonight, Seto would see one of the most beautiful sunsets in his life because beside him were his family and with his family, the future of Cosmo Canyon.
 
___
A/N: I've been busy as of late and when I've had time to write, too lazy. I blame it on the pressures of the adult working world. But hey, I'm old enough to buy alcohol and pornography so I guess it can't be all that bad.