Fire Emblem Fan Fiction / Fire Emblem Fan Fiction ❯ Searching For You ❯ The Lessons ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Five Years Later...
 
"NO! You've done it wrong again, you little wretch!"
 
Nino looked sadly at the small spark she had produced. It spiraled for a moment, then disappeared into the air.
 
Sonia looked furiously at her. “You stupid idiot, can't you do anything right? You're my daughter, you're supposed to be a mage, why can't you cast a simple Fire spell? Are you so dumb you can't figure it out or what?”
 
“But...but...” Nino moaned.
 
“I told you, you hold the book like this, you chant like this, but do you do it? NO! You are worthless, you have no use, you stupid little girl!”
 
“But...Mother...I was trying...”
 
“I don't care! If you're going to do something, do it right the first time! Try it again!”
 
Nino sniffled, closed her eyes and tried the spell again. This time, she produced a puff of smoke causing Sonia to cough.
 
“IS THAT WHAT YOU CALL A FIRE SPELL!?!?!?” she screamed at Nino.
 
“Well...”
 
“Because it's not. It's not even a pitiful excuse for a Fire spell. It's nothing, just like you, making it worthless, just like you!”
 
“I tried, Mother, I really, really did...”
 
“I don't care, Nino! I'm not teaching you magic anymore, you're just too stupid to get it! It's no use! You're just stupid, worthless, a thing of nothing!”
 
“But...M...Mother...I...I...” Nino began to cry.
 
“Shut up, you little brat!” Sonia stormed out of the room, slamming the door loudly, and leaving the weeping Nino alone.
 
“But...Mother...I...I tried...Doesn't that count for anything...?” Nino sobbed. “Please, Mother...I really want to learn magic...Please come back and teach me...”
 
But Sonia didn't come back until much later. Nino was very hungry from having no food-she couldn't get into any pantry-and was overjoyed to hear her enter the house. She left the room and ran up to her mother.
 
“Mother, may I please have something to eat?” Nino asked.
 
“No,” Sonia said simply.
 
“But...I haven't eaten anything since morning...I'm really hungry.”
 
“No.” Sonia poured herself some coffee.
 
“Why not?”
 
“Because you are nothing, and nothing needs no food. Stay out of my sight.”
 
“But...Please, Mother...I'm really hungry!”
 
“Shut up! I thought I told you to go away. So do it! Listen to your mother!”
 
Nino cried and ran to her room. She collapsed on her bed and fell asleep to nightmares.