Fire Emblem Fan Fiction / Fire Emblem Fan Fiction ❯ Searching For You ❯ The Midwife's Clues ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“This is it!” Rocky said proudly. “Welcome to the place of your sister's birth...At least, according to the midwife, of course.”
 
“Yes, if she's even the real thing,” Tomas said, letting his voice be high-pitched and squeaky. Rocky knew Tomas was only nine, Rocky himself was fifteen. “Lead on, Rocky.”
 
“This way, Tomas. Down the hill, walk two blocks, and we'll be there.”
 
“Are you sure she won't mind us barging in?” Tomas asked.
 
“No,” Rocky said, shrugging, “but don't worry. I told her how important this is to you, finding your sister and all. She'll understand.”
 
“If you're sure,” Tomas said. “Let's go, then.”
 
Together they walked down the hill and into the city. They walked the two blocks to the midwife's house. Tomas knocked on the door.
 
It was answered almost immediately. “What do ya want, kid?” the lady who answered the door asked gruffly.
 
“Er...my name is Tomas, and...” Tomas began, but he was cut off almost immediately.
 
“Tomas! Good grief, is that really you?” the woman asked incredulously. Tomas nodded. “Well, come in, come in! I've been waiting for ya ever since Rocks here came asking about Nino.”
 
Tomas and Rocky entered the house. It was small, but very tidy. Everything was labeled and in perfect order. Tomas was impressed.
 
“Welcome, welcome, both of you,” the woman said. “I'm Melinda, the midwife here in town. You're Rocks and you're Tomas, and I remember ya. Yep, I remember ya as if ya were born yesterday...You`ve certainly grown since I last saw ya with your mom when she had Nino...”
 
“What about Nino? Do you know what happened to her?” Tomas asked.
 
“All right, Tomas, let's see here...I haven't seen Nino since your mom brought her with her when she came to thank me for helping. Nino...let's see now...she had green hair like yours...and bright blue eyes like yours too...hmm...She was a beautiful child, she was. But I can't help you with anything else.”
 
“What about my parents? Do you know how they died?”
 
“Well...From what I hear around town, they were killed my anima magic...And ya would've too, but ya got lucky and survived...Gosh, you were only...what, four?”
 
“Yes. Nino was only a year old then.”
 
“Yup, that's it. Well, your dad got really thrashed by the spells...Looked like Elfires and Boltings from what I've heard. Your mom was killed by a quick Fimbulvetr critical, I hear...Quick, probably not as painful as your dad. And your sister Nino was gone. That's all I know.”
 
“You don't know where she went? Not even a guess?”
 
“Sorry, from what I've heard the criminal disappeared after the murders. Really sad story. Oh, and if the other thing's I've heard are true, ya might want to be careful around here...They're still looking for ya.”
 
“Still? But it's been two years since I left the orphanage...”
 
“Doesn't matter. Unless they find your dead body somewhere, they won't stop till you're found.”
 
“That's...wait...You won't tell, will you?”
 
Melinda chuckled. “'Course not, Tomas! You're fine on your own, I think. And you've got Rocks here with ya, so you're all set.”
 
“But...I don't know where I should start looking...”
 
“Hmm...Go east, to Bern. Look for the Black Fang. They're a decent group, they'll help ya if they can. Ya may even want to join, you're a mage like your parents, right?”
 
“Yes, but I'm not too good yet...”
 
“Nonsense, magic and maging is in your blood. You've got talent for it. Besides, they'll train ya up, anyways.”
 
“Thank you for all your help, ma'am...”
 
“No trouble, Tomas, none at all. I'm always here to help. Good luck, kid, you're going to need it.”
 
Rocky and Tomas said their farewells to Melinda the midwife and left the city. They headed east to Bern, where the Black Fang and, possibly, Nino, awaited...