Fire Emblem Fan Fiction / Fire Emblem Fan Fiction ❯ Searching For You ❯ Copying the Master ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Nino peeked around the corner. There, Sonia sat, chanting quietly. Nino listened hard, and was able to make out words. She closed her eyes, held her small Fire tome, and repeated her mother.
 
“Firius tarias leptitius rakadaya flammuss...” Nino whispered.
 
Suddenly, a huge flame appeared out of her hand. Nino jumped back from the fire, shrieking, “Mother! Mother! Help!”
 
“Nino, you idiot! What have you done? You're going to burn the house down! Fix it! Now!” Sonia shouted at Nino.
 
“But...I don't know how!”
 
“Wretch!” Sonia said something and the fire disappeared into a puff of smoke.
 
Amazed, Nino said, “Wow! How'd you do that?”
 
“Oh, now you want to learn magic,” Sonia sneered. “Well, you should've thought of that before! It's too late now!”
 
“But...Please, Mother, I really want to learn! Teach me, please!”
 
“No! Now shut up and go to your room!”
 
“But...”
 
“Now, Nino!”
 
Tears filled her eyes as Nino ran to her room. She tossed herself on her bed, crying loudly.
 
“I'll show Mother that I can learn to be a real mage,” Nino vowed. “I'll memorize all the incantations, and I'll hold the tome right. Then, she'll see how good I am, and she'll be proud of me, and she will love me, and we'll both be happy...”
 
“Nino!” Sonia's voice came through the door. “Shut up! If you shed one more tear, you'll never get food again! So shut up now!”
 
Nino sniffled and rested her bed on the pillow. She looked up at her ceiling, daydreaming about a time when she and her mother could be happy together. They would do all sorts of fun things together...
 
“Someday...” Nino whispered. “Someday, I'll be strong, and Mother will love me, and we'll be happy together...Someday, I know it'll happen...”