Firefly/Serenity Fan Fiction ❯ Bounty Hunter to Petty Theif ❯ The Meeting ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don’t own this series or the movie that came from it.

This story is written for my younger sister who is madly in lust with Jayne Cobb.

Several Months Ago.
Chapter 1. The Meeting

“Attention crew, this is your captain. We’ll be landing, so hold on,” Mal said over the intercom. “Wash, get us on the ground in one piece.”

“You got it, Captain,” Wash said as he prepped Serenity for landing.

A few moments later, the crew was getting ready to get off the boat. “Alright, listen up,” Mal said. “Jayne, Zoe, and I are goin’ to see Badger. Shouldn’t take long. We’re just gettin’ a job and we’re off. Wash, you go on and get the supplies we need. Kaylee, see if you can’t round up some passengers. We could use the fare money. Shepherd, do whatever it is you do. Doc,” he paused. “Keep your sister on the gorram boat.” With that they left.

They found Badger in his usual spot.

“Captain Reynolds,” he greeted.

“Badger.”

“Weren’t sure you was gonna make it.”

“And why’s that?”

“Lots’o bounty hunters out and about these days. Thought you might get caught, see?”

“Well, I haven’t. So what is it this time, Badger?”
***

“Hey, Shepherd. You gonna sit here with me?” Kaylee asked.

“I think I might,” Book said standing next to Kaylee’s chair. “Brings back memories, doesn’t it?”

“Yep. This is where we picked you, Simon, and River up. And then there was that Fed. That was no good. But we still got you guys.”

“Excuse me,” a young woman came up to the pair. She wore tight blue jeans with cowgirl heels that went up to her calves. She had on a belt and a gun holster with two guns. She had on a khaki colored half cut jacket and a black tank on under it. She had a cowboy hat on and kind of hid her face.

“Hey there!” Kaylee said. “Lookin’ for a ride? Where ya headed?”

“Nowhere in particular. Is this...a Firefly class?”

“Rightya are. This girl’s named Serenity. She’s the best thing out there.”

“Serenity…”
***
“Thi nk he sent a hunter on us, Sir?” Zoe asked as they walked back to Serenity.

“Yep,” Mal replied picking up his pace a little. “We’re leaving this rock now. As soon as everyone’s back, we go.”

“Don’t think Badger’s a smart one. We’re his best supplier. Sendin’ a hunter. Whata hwun dahn.”

“Welcome back, Captain!” Kaylee singsonged as they approached.

“Everyone back yet?”

“Yep! Wash just got back before you.”

“Good. Lets go. Wash!” He said as he walked on. Wash had started to walk up the stairs.

“What’s up, Captain?”

“Get this bird in the air.”

“Awe, so soon, Cap?” Kaylee asked. Wash did as told. “We only got one passenger. Come on, you should meet her.” Kaylee dragged him over to the woman.

Mal looked her over, but couldn’t see her face. The bay doors closed then.

“Miss, this is our Captain, Malcolm Reynolds. Cap, this is…actually, I never got your name.”

The girl lifted her hat off. She had beautiful blue eyes. Her hair was a light brown and cut short, just below her chin. It was parted on one side and fell freely around her face.

Jayne came over to get a look at the new passenger. He smirked and did the pant adjust that most men did when they saw a pretty woman.

“How rude of me, I’m…” before she could finish, Mal said her name.

“Ana. What in the Gorram ‘Verse are you doing here?” Mal asked loudly.

“Geez, if I had known you’d get mad, I would have done this sooner, Brother,” she shrugged.

At that everyone stared at the captain.

“Uh, Captain?” Zoe asked.

“Crew, this is my little sister, Adriana Reynolds.”

“Actually, Brother, I go by Dri now. Dri Rey.”

“That’s funny. I thought she jus’ said ‘Dri Rey.’ Like the bounty hunter,” Jayne laughed.

“I did,” Adriana, or Dri, pulled out a gun faster than the other’s could react and rested the barrel against Mal’s forehead.

“Tzao-gao,” Mal cursed.

“What’s going on?” Simon came out and asked puzzled. Although, he wasn’t surprised. It seemed anywhere they went, someone wanted to kill Mal.

“Uh, Simon,” Kaylee slowly moved to him. “This is the captain’s sister.”

“Sister? Huh.”

“So what, Ana? You gonna shoot me? Take me in for the bounty?”

She laughed and uncocked the gun, placing it back into its holster, “I’m not that cruel, Brother.”

Mal laughed. “You little…” Then he grabbed her and locked her head under his arm. He rubbed the top of her head roughly as she fought to get out.

“Ow! Bei be shiou ren!”

“Hey!” Mal let her go and stared into her eyes. “I don’t wanna hear any a’that kinda language from my baby sister, got it?”

“Yeah, yeah,” she huffed as she fixed her hair. Then she hugged him.

“What. Just happened?” Jayne asked Zoe.

“I’m not entirely sure. Sir?”

“Like I said. This is my baby sister,” he wrapped an arm around Adriana. She smiled and waved.

“Don’ look like no baby sister ta me,” Jayne said quietly to Kaylee. She made a face at him and shook her head. “What?”

“Ana, this is my first mate Zoe,” Mal introduced.

“Nice to meet you. Mal used to tell me the stories,” Ana shook her hand.

“My mechanic, Kaylee.”

“Nice to meet, again,” she smiled.

“This is the doctor.”

“I’m Simon. Everybody here calls me Doc or Doctor, except Kaylee,” Simon shook her hand.

“Nice to meet you.”

“This man’s Shepherd Book.”

“A holy man? In the same space as my brother?” She asked shaking his hand.

“Stranger things have happened,” Book said with a smile.

“This here’s Jayne.”

“Nice to meet you,” She smiled.

“Uh-huh,” he hitched his pants again.

“So what exactly are you doing out here? How come you’re not home?” Mal asked her.

“I told you, brother. I really am Dri Rey. I am a hunter.”

Mal laughed. “My baby sister is not a bounty hunter.”

“Malcolm, you’re not listening. I am one. And I’m not your baby sister anymore. I’ve grown up if you haven’t noticed.”

“I noticed,” Jayne said. Mal shot him a look.

“Okay, okay. If you are really Dri Rey,” Mal made a face at her, “Then you should be doing pretty well for yourself right now. Doesn’t Dri Rey usually work on the core planets?”

“I did, yes.”

“Then what’re you doin’ out here?”

“Looking for you.”

“And whatdidyou wanna do that for?”

“You stopped writing.”

Mal fell silent.

“Why? Why did you stop writing. Why didn’t you visit me?”

“I didn’t want you to know what I was doin.’ And I especially didn’ want this kinda life for you.”

Ana laughed. “You really think I didn’t know what you were doing? That’s how I found you Mal. That character Badger, he told me the name of your ship and what class it was.”

“I’ll havta tell Wash to take a bit of a long way ‘round. We’re gonna drop Ana off at home.”

“I wont get off,” she crossed her arms.

“What?”

“I can’t count how many years I’ve been looking for you on one hand, Malcolm. Now you’re just going to drop me off at a place neither of us calls home anymore? Not how it works, Brother.”

“My ship, my rules, Ana,” Mal pointed to himself.

“Let’s see you try to wrench me out of here. In case you forgot, I’m the best bounty hunter there is.”

“Ana…” Mal warned.

“Mal!” She yelled and he stared at her. She breathed deeply, “I need your help.” Her face was sincere.

Mal brought her up to the dinning area where all the crew sat.

“So, the Captain, has a sister,” Wash went over.

“Yes,” Zoe told him.

“Did you know that?”

“No.”

“Ah. Why’s she here?”

“If ya’d shut yer gorram mouth, we’d know,” Jayne said.

“What kinda trouble you get yourself into?” Mal asked.

“Well. As a bounty hunter I kept mostly everything hidden. My sex for one. Everybody thought I was a boy, until a caught them, that is. I’ve become a little too well known. I had a hit a couple months back. Turned out it was a trap. They caught me and beat me good. I barely escaped. But they knew who I was, what I looked like. It was all over the place. Next thing I knew, the bad guys had a hit on my head. I’ve been attacked a lot recently. Nothing I couldn’t handle. The attacks got worse over time, though. More and more guys came for me, with bigger groups and a lot more weapons. I need someplace to lay low. I figured a ship that moved a lot would do it.”

“So you thought of me. You said you knew what I do. I deal with the ‘bad guys’ a lot, Ana. This is not the best place. Don’t you work for Alliance? Why not hide out on one of their ships?”

“Oh please, Malcolm! You know just as well as I do, the Alliance would never admit to hiring a hunter full time. It makes them look weak. They’d never shelter me. How could you hold that against me?”

“Not holdin’ anything against you.”

“Yes you are. You’re mad because I work for Alliance. You damn well know I didn’t support the Alliance in the war. Don’t you dare think I’m on their side.”

“I don’t think that.”

“Ya damn well did! Y’always judging’ people before ya can really talk with them!”

Mal smiled.

“What?”

“That’s the first time ya really sounded like you.”

Ana hadn’t noticed it before, but she hadn’t used her old accent since she got on Serenity. In the core planets, she needed to fit in, so she talked like them. Proper. It’s hard to drop old habits.

She smiled, “Guess I did.”

“Well, Wash, get this bird where we need to go,” Mal stood up.

“Wait. Ya really gonna bring me home? I really can’t stay?”

“No. We gotta pick up Inara.” Then he walked out.

Ana looked at the crew, all staring at her.

“You look like the Cap’n,” Kaylee smiled.

“We are siblings.”

“I say she can’t be trusted,” Jayne said polishing one of his smaller guns.

Ana raised an eyebrow.

“Jayne! She’s the capn’s sister!” Kaylee scolded.

“So what?”

“You’re probably right,” Ana said, causing everyone to stare more intently. “Well, each’n every one a’you has a bounty on their heads. Jayne Cobb, right? Your’s is a decent price.”

“We do?” Kaylee asked.

“Yep, even you Kaylee. And the doc and his sister have a big one. Bigger than Malcolm’s. Of course, the Shepherd don‘t.”

They stared.

“Don’ worry. If you’re friends of my brother, then I aint gonna do anythin. After all, you’re helping me. How could I betray you?”

“She’s the captain’s sister all right,” Book said standing. The others began to follow.

“Huh? What’s that mean?”

“Ya got that same sick sense of gorram honor he’s got,” Jayne said before disappearing with the rest. Kaylee stayed.

“C’mon. I’ll show ya around,” she smiled.
Chapter 1 End.

Thanks all! Review please!