FLCL Fan Fiction ❯ The Blue Vespa ❯ She Enters ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Text like this indicates Naota's thoughts.

It's been about year since our housemaid-slash-alien Haruhara Haruko left. Everything's been pretty much the same since she left. I don't like sour stuff, Ninamori has family problems, my family acts weird, Mamimi still skips class, and nothing comes out of my head. Medical Mechanica sits lopsided on the hill, but it still steams like it did before, enshrouding Masabe with a thick white cloud. Canti helps my dad with the bakery and takes care of the house, although it doesn't amaze me anymore. Nothing is a big surprise anymore, not pop quiz, rumors, anything. Not that things like that happen anymore. Nothing happens here...

Where are you Haruko?

___

Naota sat on the balcony of his room, gazing blankly at the sky. This had been his norm for months now; he'd sit there and watch the skies, hoping to see a yellow scooter shooting down towards Earth or to hear that shrill cry of 'HERE I COME!', but to no avail. Kamon called for him to come down for dinner.
"Haruko-san." he whispered before rising to his feet to leave. Nothing would be exciting again, not without her. Naota left his room and never noticed the blue comet that streaked across the sky and land with a dense thunk in the distance.
"Naota! It's about time you came down! It's not healthy for a boy your age to stuff himself in his room every night to stargaze."
"Nice to see you to Grandpa."
"Naota-kun, what are you doing these days?" Kamon rolled himself against the teen's side.
"Nothing, dad. Now get off me."
"Are you sure?"
"Don't you have a tabloid to write?"
"There's no one left to exploit, everything's old news." he slid off and returned to his seat, "Unless my dear son has given into his FLCL instinct!"
"Not again."
"Is that it? Has my son become the fox-boy?"
"The what?"
"A fox-boy. Something like Megumi Takanae."
"Who?"
"Megumi from Rouroni Kenshin, the fox-woman. Someone who openly shares their FLCL deeds."
"Dad."
"Who is it?"
"It better not be that Mamimi girl." Shigekuni stabbed his plate of Teriyaki beef as his elder grandson's ex-girlfriend's name rolled off his tongue. Canti sat beside his 'pilot' and ate, ignoring the ruckus about him.
"I am not FLCLing around!"
"Are you sure, Naota-kun?"
"Leave me alone!"
___

"Did you here about it, Naota?"
"Hear what, Gaku?"
"Don't bother asking him." Ninamori slammed a copy of Cinderella down on Naota's desk, "He was probably too busy strumming at his head guitar."
Gaku and Masashi laughed and sneered as Ninamori did her impression of someone playing a guitar on their forehead.
"Get lost."
"Someone is sour."
"Anyways!" interjected Gaku "There's this strange girl motoring around town on a Vespa scooter!"
"What?"
"Don't get your hopes up" continued Masashi, "It's blue and the girl is a lot younger looking than the last Vespa woman."
"Yeah."
"CLASS!!!" Everyone sat up in shock as their spastic teacher walked in followed by a girl with dark pink hair, "This is our newest student HaruHara Tane!"
The words rang in Naota's ear. Haru...hara? That's Haruko surname. Is this girl...
Can this girl be... Haruko's family? Is it possible? They have the same hair color... She looked up! Her eyes are gold, she's holding a helmet like Haruko's. Tane... who are you?

___