FLCL Fan Fiction ❯ thinking ❯ shoes ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
_____letting it flow________

I stood at the doorway.

Water streamed in from the hallway. There was more water in the buckets than I realized. It flowed around my feet and seeped into my shoes. And all I wanted to do was stare. Stare at my feet and watch as the water permeated the cloth. I dimly saw that I had worn my tennis shoes. I wonder if Ninamori would notice.

Still no teacher.

Homeroom would be out soon and then the math teacher would arrive. And after that, the English teacher. Ninamori, as class rep, had taken the position of power at the front of the class, giving out announcements and commands, completely natural for her. She flowed like the water. She wasn't shaky and broken. Not broken.

Broken...it felt odd in my mind. I mulled it over slowly, still staring at my shoes. Everything just flowed, a stream unbroken. I looked at my shoes and I thought of Ninamori. And I thought of water. I dimly thought of colds tomorrow morning. My mind was in a haze, a fog, a muddle of things I didn't want to think of. Things I thought I had settled moments before were unclear now. I...

I,

I...

I

I don't care.

My shoes made squeaky, squishy sounds and the slam of the door didn't sound quite as loud because of them. I stormed down the hall. I was hurting. I wanted to scream. I wanted to yell. But I couldn't. And that made the hurt that much worse. I wanted to get out of here, the one thing in my power. The only thing I could do.

Run away.

Skip class and mope all day. Sit under the bridge and whine. Face problems without having to actually deal with them. Cry about something that wasn't in my power. That was the only thing I could do.

I was staring in my own melodrama and it was darkly addictive. It made the hurt better by making it a cheap play. Facing problems without the bother of fixing them, that's what melodrama was.

"Naota! Where do you think you're going?"

I was already halfway down the passage and almost to the stairs when I heard her voice. I didn't care if she was angry, I just wanted to get out of here to somewhere else, somewhere safe. Where I could cry and moan and bitch, and...and just be pissy in general. Someplace I could handle.

"Hey...Naota, Na-, Takkun. Takkun, wait for me."

I was at the stairs when I heard her school shoes clack against the floor. I heard splashed as she ran through the puddle. Some slipping and then she was at the top of the stairs.

She was breathing heavily, leaning over, chest heaving. I was confused. I thought she had always been in really good shape, it went with her perfectionist attitude.

She looked up. And down at me. She wasn't tired. She was...

Broken. It sounded odd in my head, but I knew that was right. She looked...broken. Like she was going to cry. But she had enough pride to try and cover it up, by overacting and pretending to be tired. I knew the trick. I had used it. But I don't think I ever looked as cute as that.

I felt my cheeks burn and I turned away.

"Wait! Takkun! I'm coming with you."

Huh?

____a/n______________

It's finally here. I'm losing the edge that gave this fic flavor...sorry.

Once again, thanks to all who reviewed, I'm thankful for all the reminders to update and the encouragement. Thanks to EvilNekoEatsYourSoul for being such a faithful reader and animeALLday for defending me against the evil spammer! I hope you enjoy this chapter. And once again, thank you.