Forgotten Realms Fan Fiction ❯ The Fateful Coin ❯ Chapter 2: A Door Closes ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 2:
A Door Closes

21 years later....

Anashra had blossomed, grown even more beautiful, if such a thing was possible. It was her thirtieth birthday, and her body showed it; she had filled out. She had gentle curves and looked far beyond her age. Any human would have been fooled in believing that she was twice her age, and by Elven standards she was still a child. And fooled they were, the few times she had gone to Evereska human males had asked to buy her a round; and were abashed to learn they had asked a child to drink with them. Not that she liked liquor in the first place. She did not like the taste or the way that it could make the sanest people into complete idiots.





Lately though, she was concerned about Lei'tai; he had grown distant and he was clearly hiding something for her. She prayed that it was not his health, Lei'tai was 160 years old and nearing the end of his life.


She knew that half-elves lived longer than humans did and most half-elves only lived a span of 170 years. She knew she would have to watch him die someday, but someday was far off and thinking about it hurt too much. She thought of much happier things and went about her chores humming a tune.



Lei'tai gasped with pain; a spasm had arched across his chest. He stumbled toward the kitchen chair and sat in it clutching his chest. He swore loudly in Elvish, which he only did when he was truly angry. Apparently, he had inherited his father's heart trouble; he knew he would die soon. He had known since last month that time was running out for him, and he cursed the fact that he was only half an elf.




He would never get to see Anashra marry, and have children. He was angry with himself that he would die and leave her alone, and for not telling her that he could die any day now.



She deserved the truth, but he could not bring himself to tell her; each time he saw her smile his resolve disappeared. He could bear it if she stopped smiling because he was dying. She needed someone to watch over her protect her and not judge her for what she was.



That is why he had written to Therin Skyhammer his long time friend. Two weeks ago, he had gone into Evereska on an "errand" and for once let Anashra roam the city unattended, which he later regretted; but it had been necessary so he could hire a mercenary to make the long trek to Icewind Dale to deliver his message.



It had cost him a great deal but he knew that it would be worth it. Afterward he had to track down Anashra who had gotten into a spot of trouble, though no fault of her own. Some men had decided that she was lying about her age, and were making unwanted advances on her.


Anashra had defended herself and tangled the trio in a tangle foot bag, the magistrate and guards were not pleased since the vines had damaged the city library and he had to pay for the damages.


As he sat and thought about her future, the pain began to worsen; more spasms wracked his body and he cried out for Anashra, and passed out with the pain....



Anashra had finished her chores, and was headed to the kitchen for a bite to eat, when she heard Lei'tai call out for her and a soft *thump*; She dropped the cloth she was holding and tore into the kitchen.


Only to find Lei'tai on the wooden floor unconscious and barely breathing. Tears threatened to spill from her eyes but she pushed them away; now was not the time to weep. She knew what she had to do.


She carefully placed him on the nearby rug and began to slowly drag him out of the kitchen and down the long hall to his bedroom, Anashra grunted with the effort of lifting Lei'tai on to his bed. She elevated his feet with fluffy pillows and covered him up. Anashra gave him potions of endurance and some to ease any pain that he might have had.



The potions merely brought him around, and he spoke softly, "Anashra, my child; there is naught you can do save your energy I am... I am dying." "NO!"

Anashra began to wail, "You WILL NOT die on me, you cannot die..."


She dissolved into tears for she knew that it was true.

"Anashra, it is the way and will of nature; seasons pass, seeds are planted, they grow, wither and eventually are no more. I have known for a while that I was dying, but I wished you to remain happy so I told you not. Even the stars too must see their time, all things must feel the touch of age; such is the fate of us mortals. My life has been good and you have been the light in my life; never forget that. I have made arrangements for you, you are too young to be alone; it is all here in the letter I have left for you on the mantle. When I am gone follow its instructions and I shall die happy knowing that you will be well taken care of.



Anashra continued to cry, but she hid her pain so Lei'tai’s last moments would be better than if she bawled her eyes out.



Lei'tai held her hand and he said, “There, there my angel; death is not
so bad once you get used to the idea
.”

He was dying and the old rascal had cracked a joke. Anashra smiled weakly; and the last thing Lei'tai saw before he died and the light faded out to black, was her smile.




He was dead, she had watched as the light left his mischievous eyes, held his hand until it grew limp and cold. Powerless to stop it, she just held on tightly until his hands began to get stiff. She released him not wanting to be caught in the death grip that came when someone died.


A small piece of her died with him, she would not realize until later that it had been the rest of her childhood. Anashra the child was no more. She stood and the light in her eyes had changed, it was an older light, one that has seen death and pain. It should not have been in the eyes of this young child, but it was there now. She could no longer weep, for weeping would not bring Lei'tai back; and would serve no purpose.





Any who had known her before, could see that Lei'tai’s death had caused her to shut the door on her emotions, emotions too painful to deal with alone. She went to the mantle and pocketed the letter; she would read it later. Right now, she needed to deal with Lei'tai’s funeral, he had been well respected in Evereska; and she would need to make arrangements. She did not want to leave him alone, it was silly she knew; but she could not help it.




The next few days passed as slowly as years for Anashra, she went mindlessly about her chores, refusing to accept Lei'tai’s death long after his funeral. She would make breakfast for two, set his place, and then remember that he would not be there to eat it.


She would walk into a room and expect him to be there, reading by the fire and he was not. All the little things that she did not notice until he was gone, hit her like a sack of bricks; slamming home the fact, that he was dead, and she was very alone.


She knew she could not stay here, but she did not want to leave; this was home and leaving meant losing it and was all she had left. The night without a moon was fast approaching, it was barely a fortnight away; she had never been though the change alone. It scared her to think about it, and she knew that it was no longer safe to live here since Lei'tai had died.




She had been putting off reading the letter, since it would mean that she would have to go and it would mean finality to Lei'tai’s death. The doors to her old life were closing on her and too quickly for her liking, but new doors had opened; doors to a new and uncertain future.


Five days later, Anashra began to face reality she HAD to leave and soon. She rummaged though the basement looking for Lei'tai’s old travel sack. Hours later, she still had not found it so she went to read sit and the letter by the fire...





Anashra sat in Lei'tai’s comfortable oversize chair and with trembling fingers broke the wax seal on his letter. This is what it said:

My dearest Anashra,

If you are reading this then I have died, and sooner than I expected. I wrote this encase I died without finishing my plans for your future. Therefore, fate has willed it and I am dead. I can no longer protect you from the evils and prejudice of the world but I have friends who can. One of them owed me a life debt, a dwarf by the name of Therin Skyhammer of the clan Black Hammer; He has agreed to take you in. He is the current head of his clan, so there should be little opposition to you there and besides he is glad to repay the debt.

He however, lives in Icewind Dale, which is far from here; I would have provided an escort for you but time ran out and I was unable to procure one for you. For that, I am truly sorry; you shall have to make your own way there. I have prepared a bag of holding with all of the things that you shall need on your journey; it is in my chest at the foot of my bed. The key is attached inside of this envelope...

She checked to make sure that it was there and continued reading.

In the bag, you will find studded leather armor, boots of speed, and a brace of long daggers, a long sword, a magic staff, food, clothing, a cloak of protection, money for lodging, gauntlets of greater ogre power, a ring of light & invisibility; a belt of magic resistance, a bed roll, tent, hammock, snares, healing potions, necklace of missiles. In addition, you will find two letters.

The one letter explains the abilities of the of the items in the bag and the other is encase you run into trouble and need help before you get to Therin; DO NOT open it until you do, it has been enchanted and the enchantment will dissipate upon opening it. In addition, if you should ever find yourself in Calimshan were gloves, as the tattoo on your right hand marks you as a slave; and regardless of your free status, you could be resold without anyone knowing the difference.

Alternatively, if you wish simply get a new tattoo over it and put one the left to make it less oblivious. I suggest that you try to find a capable companion to ravel with; do not tell them how much gold you have since this could lead to problems. Ah, my child, I am babbling about things that you already know about; you have my utmost confidence in you. I wish I could be there for you; alas, this is not to be.

You made my life whole and worth living, I thank you for that. Watch your back, lest you find something of a sharp nature in it. Trust few with your money, and fewer with your life. Keep your ears open, and your mouth closed; for wagging tongues have a long reach. Be slow to anger, and slow to judge as I have taught you. Be kind to most; give respect only to those who deserve it. Take advice with a grain of salt, but listen to everyone's opinions. This is all I can give you my child, go now and may peace be with you every step of the way. You have my love and hopes for you.

May you find happiness,

Your father, Lei’tai Thrade.


Anashra finished reading the letter, folded it got the key and put the letter inside the envelope. She stood and went with haste to Lei'tai’s room. She opened his trunk and found the bag of holding, which to her surprise looked rather like an old knapsack. She took the bag and went quickly to her room; with haste, she chose a few special mementos, other little necessities. She put them into the bag closed it and left the room. She went through a mental list of things she might need, went, and got them, rope, matches, and some other stuff. She was ready, and she knew somehow that it was past time to leave.

She climbed the flights of stairs, to the top reached the door turned, and whispered a soft farewell to the only home she knew. She went outside, and locked the solid oak door. If she ever chose return, it would be as she left it. She shouldered the pack, said a quick farewell to her animal friends, and set out into her future.