Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ A ship in the fog ❯ Live to see a lover's final breath ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer : I don't own Fruits Basket… And not even the title of this chapter, since it is a line from a James Blunt's song.
 
Please review!
 
 
 
Chapter 6 - Live to see a lover's final breath
 
 
 
Haru was convalescing. He was a little thinner and a little whiter, but his strength was coming back slowly. He had spent the last two days in bed, Yuki by his side, and since he was becoming restless, Hatori had granted him permission to sit on the deck for a while. So there he was, a blanket on his knees, enjoying the afternoon sun… with Yuki.
 
A sea-boy came up with some fresh drinks for them both and Haru's medicine. The two-toned boy recognized Momiji, but like each time he had seen him since he'd woken up, he wasn't alone. This prevented them from talking freely, a warning look from the blondinet reminding him.
 
Haru hadn't seen Momiji's friend again, and nobody had mentioned him. He was beginning to wonder if the redhead was only a dream, and that kiss one of his perverted thoughts. He smiled. The lips had felt so soft under his own, and he remembered the scent of the tanned skin behind the antisceptics' odor; something like vanilla and coconut. If it was a dream, he was becoming good at imagining things indeed, because it had felt real.
 
From a distance, Shigure looked at Momiji as he headed down for the kitchen with his empty tray. In the last two days, the boy had lost most of his exuberant energy. The captain guessed it had something to do with Kyo. It took him an entire day to find the redhead's jail. Well, cage would be a more appropriate word, since it's so small, he thought. One can't even stand up in there. He didn't dare talk to his seaman though. Akito's minor fever had delayed whatever plan he had for the two boys, and Shigure needed to know what to expect before he made a move.
 
 
x o x o x
 
 
When Akito felt better, he decided it was time for a little entertainment. Followed by his faithful secretary and Shigure, he went through the ship's hallways until he reached Kyo's cage.
 
The small door looked like it had come directly from Alice in Wonderland. No sound was coming from behind it. When Kureno unlocked the padlock, they all saw that the lack of food had gotten the better of Kyo, who was stretched out on the ground and not moving. Akito was disappointed.
 
"If he is already dead, somebody is going to pay for this," the head fumed. "Kureno, bring him out."
 
His right-hand man did what he was told and set the redhead on the floor. The boy opened his eyes slowly and blinked. As he tried to get up, the head kicked him back down. Kyo curled up, holding his throbbing stomach.
 
"Get up." Akito shouted. "Now!" The redhead was dizzy and wasn't acting fast enough for the eerie man. "Pick him up!" Kyo felt himself being lifted. Putting his feet on the ground for the first time since he had been caged, the redhead was unsteady. Feeling he was about to fall, Shigure and Kureno held onto him from each side.
 
"I remember you." The head stated with a grim smile. "You were the one playing with my Yuki the day I came to get him. I have learned that your mother was so disappointed that she killed herself, and that your father sold you to Shigure because he couldn't stand you anymore. You must feel rejected, don't you? You must feel lonely, don't you?" The man grabbed the red hair and yanked Kyo's head back. "Because nobody wants you, nobody cares about you. Not even your own parents."
 
When the boy's head fell down, tears of suffering and frustration ran down his face. A sharp pain exploded in his right shoulder before he had much time for self-pity. Opening his eyes back up, he saw Akito holding a blood-tinted flick-knife. With disgust, Kureno let go of his right arm, and Shigure caught him by the waist. Kyo felt tingling going from his injured shoulder to his wrist and knew he would be deprived of his hand for a while. He wasn't crying anymore. He was furious.
 
With an insane and delighted half smile, the head carefully wiped his knife with his handkerchief. "Now, now. What can I do to punish you for your disloyalty? I have been told that you are as agile as a cat when climbing up the main mast… Let's see what you can do with a disabled shoulder. And if, like a cat, you will land on your feet when you fall down."
 
Kyo felt Shigure stiffen at his side.
 
"But…"
 
"What about Haru?" the redhead cut the captain.
 
"He will have his own punishment." Akito pondered for a few seconds, "But if you succeed to climb all the way up and come down, without falling, on your own, Hatsuharu will be forgiven. In any case, he will still marry my sister." Having said enough, the head turned on his heel and left, Kureno following him close.
 
"My, my." Shigure set Kyo down. "What can we do? I guess he is waiting for you on the deck now. Maybe Hatori can give you something before you go?"
 
The redhead grumbled. "No, I can't climb if I can't feel my arm, can I?" This whole thing was so stupid. Fortunately, Momiji was safe. And Haru… Well, maybe he could save him some pain. And if not, hell, he probably wouldn't be there to see it. Kyo felt that not so long ago he would have welcomed death without regret. But right now, he wished he had more time. He felt like he was missing something… or someone? But he wasn't dead yet. Shaking his head, he stood shakily.
 
Shigure was reluctant to let the redhead go, but he felt he had no choice. He followed him up to the deck, where Akito and Kureno were waiting for them. Hatori had joined them, and he looked worriedly at the shirt covered with blood.
 
Without a word, Kyo put his feet on the rope ladder and started his ascent. At first, he didn't use his injured arm, pushing himself up with only his feet, and using his valid arm to keep balance. He crossed the first and second yarn smoothly. Problems started when he crossed the third one. He needed both his hands to climb over it and reach the next ladder. As he bended his muscles, he felt blood pouring out of the wound and running down his right arm. He held in place for a little while, his head spinning.
 
As he went up, the ship's movements were amplified by the height. On the last fifth of his ascent, his foot went through the rope ladder twice, each time a killing pain overcoming his body. He was shaking from exhaustion when he reached the top. Closing his eyes, he breathed slowly for a few minutes to regain his poise before going back down.
 
He heard the calming sound of the sails filled out by the wind and felt strangely safe. He'd always hated water, ships, and boats, but when he had been sold as a sea-boy, he'd discovered he liked being up there, all alone. It was easier for him to think on the top of the main mast than anywhere else.
 
Sighing, he opened his eyes and, looking down for the descent, he saw them; a small black and white head near a small purple one. And something broke inside him.
 
Suddenly he felt so tired that he wondered if his life was worth the long way down. What if he just let his body fall into the void? Maybe it would make a hole in Shigure's deck. He laughed sadly and put his foot on the first rope down. His mind was empty and his eyes were dull. He slid a first time between the fifth and the fourth yarn, the rope digging deeply into his already burned hands. Somehow he managed to stop his fall down.
 
The second time, just above the first yarn, he wasn't so lucky. His hand slipped on his own blood and he felt time slow down. Nothing was under his foot anymore and, in slow motion, his balance went off. His body went down, picking up speed. He was shortly stopped by his arm, tangled in the ropes, but with a disgusting crack he continued his way down and crashed on the deck.
 
With one eye half-open, Kyo saw the blood pooling around him, but curiously, he didn't feel anything. He faintly heard people running in the background of his mind. He also heard Haru and Yuki's suppressed laugher, and it sounded to him like the first nail in his own coffin.
 
 
 
To be continued…