Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ And As She Grows ❯ Year One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
AND AS SHE GROWS
A Fruits Basket Series of Drabbles

Written by Miyu, Vampire Princess


AUTHOR'S NOTE: This series follows my story, "Her Tears." You don't need to read it to understand this, but I strongly encourage it. =o) Each chapter is a 200 word drabble dedicated to the life of Kyo's daughter as she grows up. Kyo/Tohru centric. Told from Kyo's point of view. Possible SPOILERS for those not familiar with the end of the manga.

DISCLAIMER: Fruits Basket is the property of Natsuki Takaya/HAKUSENSHA - TV TOKYO - NAS - Fruba Project and licensed by FUNimation Productions (anime) and Tokyopop (manga) for distribution in the US and Canada. All characters are used here without permission. No money is being made from this story, so please do not sue.


YEAR ONE


"Kyoko looks so cute!"

How can you say that a child with nothing but cake covering their hands and face is cute?! It's gross. Uncivilized! And what about that new outfit she's wearing? It'll have to be washed. Again!

But when he smiles.... She is cute. Those deep brown eyes stand out, even with all the white icing and yellow cake covering her face. And her laughter.... I can't help but laugh, too, as she tries to pick up another piece of cake that promptly falls from her hand.

"WA-WAAAAA!"

"It's okay," Tohru says. "Daddy's got it."

I do, moving to collect the fallen cake from her tray before even thinking to do it. Smiling, I hold my hand out. I expect Kyoko to take the cake and smash it into her face, causing more of a mess.

Instead, she tosses a piece of icing at my face.

Then Kyoko laughs.

I laugh, too.

"Daddy's all messy now," Tohru says, giggling.

In reply, I take some icing on my forefinger and gently rub it on the tip of her nose. Surprised, she makes a funny face.

"Now, so is mommy."

And we all laugh.

Happy first birthday, my darling girl.