Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Between the Sohmas or Life as Someone Else ❯ The Hot Onigiri ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Fruits Basket. Please don't sue me!!!

A/N: Hello everyone! This is my first fic. . .Yep, my first fic, so please- be gentle.

I'll explain stuff later, but right now, here's the characters

Chapter One

At The Hot Onigiri

The upper rooms were quiet, eerily so. Light slanted in through the closed windows, landing upon the beaten wooden floors, a desk, and finally, a mattress on the floor with two occupants.

One was long, reed thin, and with long red hair. The other had honey brown hair, medium height, and slightly curvy. Both moved as the sun hit their bodies, stretching, and rolling away from each other.

The red headed one stroked a hand through her long red locks, tangled from her previous nights sleep, and moaned. She opened eyes of lavender, and turned to her sister Tohru.

"Tohru-neesan!" The red head said, her voice was low and husky from sleep. "My hair is a wreck."

Tohru turned around, her turquoise eyes aglow with morning happiness. "Akai, I told you to braid your hair before you went to bed." Tohru proceeded to unbraid her own hair, and allowed the honey colored waves to float about her shoulders. "It makes it easier to brush the next day."

Akai rolled her eyes. "Wakata, demo wasuremashita."

Tohru walked over to her sister, and patted her wild red hair. "It looks fine, Akai."

Akai looked up at her sister, and smiled warmly. "Arigatou, neesan."

~~~~~~~~

The main part of the cottage, the tavern, was lit with sunlight from the open windows as they were being scrubbed clean by Akai. Akai wore a faded brown pants , with a white long sleeve shirt, with a leather tunic over it. Her hair was bound, and kept securely underneath a cap of the same faded color, giving her the appearance of a young boy.

Tohru swept the floors, twirling gracefully through tables with stools upright on them. She wore a similar garment of pants, long sleeve shirt, and a tunic over it. Her hat covered her hair that was bound underneath it, the same. Her big turquoise eyes lit with happiness as she hummed and cleaned the floors.

The two girls dressed as boys made the tavern spotless by midday. The stools were down, and the bar area was set with plates, utensils, and other assortments of foods.

Akai sighed, her hands on her hips and looked over at her sister. She was nearly the same height as Tohru, even though she was only twelve. Her bright lavender eyes were locked with hers. "We did good."

Tohru looked over at her younger sister. "We did. Now all I have to do is cook. Today is your day to go into town and pick up the order of ale and wine."

Akai groaned miserably at the thought of going into town. "Neesan! Iadayoo!" She crossed her hand over her chest and pouted.

Tohru lifted a brow at her sister, and in a dark, spooky voice said, "Would you rather cook dinner for a pack of wild men later?"

Akai flinched. "If it means you won't have to."

Tohru sighed. "Enough. Go. I'll have a treat for you when you come back."

Akai nodded, and ran out the door to do what her sister asked. She walked down the front steps, and looked up at the sign of the tavern. The symbol was a burning rice ball. The name was etched beneath the rice ball. The Hot Onigiri.

Akai smiled. Her mother had come up with that name, and forever will it stay.

Using her quick feet, she ran down the cobbled dirt roads as vendors called to her, thinking her a young boy and offering food for him to bring to his mother. He ignored them all, and passed the baker, who called after her, offering the best bread. The merchants tried to flash pretty things at her, but she kept on running. She was nearly at the ale-man before she felt someone run into her side.

The force of the impact made her fall heavily onto her side, and slide quite a way. Dirt was kicked up, and she swallowed some. Coughing it up, she groaned as she felt her face begin to ache slightly. She would have to go to neesan for that one.

"Oi," She heard the voice of the village bully, and the laughter of his cohorts. Doshite? Doshite watashi? She asked herself. Can't these idiots leave me alone for one day!?

"Bakayaro!" The bully growled again. "Get up, and apologize for dirtying my shoe, and I might let you lick them clean!"

Akai stood up, and dusted herself off, she turned away from the bully, and was ready to continue her duty. She had no time for this!

"I said to apologize, Honda!" He spat her family name out, and his friends laughed again.

Down, pride, down! She reigned her anger in, and tried to walk away with her head high. But, she found it was rather difficult when the bully snatched her tunic, and yanked her down in front of him, on her knees.

"Honda, you are such an idiot!" The bully snarled. The black haired, green eyes boy was tall and rather muscular. He was probably the same age as Akai was, but because of their appearances, he probably thought he was years older than the twelve year old girl. "When I say to do something, you do it!" He shoved her to the ground. "Got it!?"

Akai glared up at the boy, her lavender eyes shooting sparks. "Hanase."

"Hanase ka?" The bully laughed at her. "Naze, Honda?"

"What's going on?" The group turned to see a well dressed gentleman in black with black and white hair. His gray eyes seemed bored, but within them something kindled, causing the kids to shiver.

With him was a lavender haired boy, with violet eyes his facial expression had a chilling quality to it. He wore white, and a deep frown. His arms crossed over his chest, and his legs were wide apart.

Behind the two men was another, he had orange colored hair and scarlet eyes that didn't hide the anger in them. Those scarlet eyes blazed with a fury, like his deep emerald green suit. He had a fist in the air, and examined it closely.

The bully released Akai immediately. "Nothing of any interest sir."

"Then leave." Lavender hair said.

The boys dispersed, leaving Akai alone, kneeling on the ground.

Her head was bowed in shame, her eyes shadowed as she stood up with her head to the ground. Run.

Before the three men could stop her, Akai took off in the direction she had come from. She ran to the outskirts of town, and took the longer way around to the ale-man. When she reached him, she took her orders, and ran back, followed by a cart of ale and wine.

When she returned to the tavern, it was nearly evening.

Tohru ran to her sister. "Kimi wa doko, Akai?" Tohru said, embracing her sister. She pulled back and looked at her face. On her cheek was a large red scrape, blood tricked from it onto her chin. "Who did this to you?"

Akai looked away. Tohru sighed, and held her to her breast. "Mosuku. Mosuku yo, Akai-chan."

Akai sighed. This had not been the first incident. "Ano, Tohru-neesan. . ."

"Hai?"

"Could you. . . Could you heal me?"

Tohru smiled. "Of course."

Tohru placed a hand on Akai's wounded cheek. A soft blue white glow covered her hand, and when she pulled away, the wound was gone. The blood was cleaned off too.

"Arigatou," Akai murmured.

"Sumimasen!" A loud voice interrupted the two.

"Ah!" Tohru's eyes lit up. "Saki-chan! Arisa-chan!"

The blonde haired girl walked through the door. She looked normal enough, with a leather vest buttoned to the bottom, buck skin pants, and a sword at her waist. Her boots were filled with daggers, but Tohru knew she did well enough with her hands.

Beside her, in a black dress, with her dark hair floating around her shoulders, Saki smiled weakly at the two friends, but her lavender eyes glowed with delight. Her cape drifted behind her, as she followed Arisa into the tavern.

"How's it going?" Arisa asked the two as she embraced Akai, then Tohru. Tohru was first in Saki's arms, then Akai.

"We're doing fine." Tohru answered. "And you?"

"We decided to offer our assistance her tonight." Saki said. "The vibes in the air are telling me we must protect you on this night."

Akai smiled. "The fires of the earth can do just as well, Saki."

Saki smiled. "Of course, but you see Akai, we are meant to protect you, not destroy those foolish enough to try and force you into some strange predicament."

Akai became a bundle of fury at the words 'force you into' and growled. "Force my sister!?" She roared. "I think not!"

Tohru patted Akai. "It's alright, no one's going to force us into anything with you and Saki, and Arisa by my side."

Placated, Akai smiled. "Then let's get ready! It's nearly evening!"

~~~~~~~~

The tavern was crowded, and packed with drunkards. Every stood was taken up, none of them were empty. Akai flitted around, refilling glasses for a coin, and giving platters for twice as much. Arisa was filling drinks at the bar, and Tohru was making more and more food for the customers.

The joyful ruckus was interrupted every once in a while by the soft, and melodic tunes of the flute played by Saki. The dark haired girl was enchanting as she played, and took the silver coins offered for her playing with a smile.

The evening continued thus, unhindered by Saki's dark foretelling, eventually winding down until only Saki's flute playing and a few of the late talkers stayed.

Until the clock struck one.

The door seemed to blast open in the silence, turning all heads.

In the doorway stood three men.

Akai recognized them at once, and ran to hide behind the bar where her sister was.

Saki stopped playing her instrument, and placed it down in her lap. She shot a glance at Arisa, and nodded. Arisa nodded back, and took a step closer to Tohru and Akai.

The lavender haired one was first, followed by the orange haired one, and then the black and white haired one.

"Konbanwa," Saki called out. "What can we do for you this early morning?"

The lavender haired one shot her a polite smile. "May we speak with the owner?"

Saki stood, and motioned to Arisa. "Speak with her, yes." She glared at the man. "Take her, no."

Akai stood in front of her sister, Tohru pushed her back. "I own this tavern," Tohru said, her voice deep and male sounding. Combined with her clothes, she was passable as an effeminate male.

The lavender haired boy looked surprised. "I- Beg your pardon, but are you Tohru?"

Tohru frowned, and nodded. Akai piped up from behind her. "Got a problem with my brothers name?"

The man shook his head. "My name's Yuki Sohma, and these are my brothers, Kyo and Hatsuharu." the two boys nodded.

"Sohma?" Tohru looked surprised. "You- you're part of the Sohma Clan?"

Yuki nodded.

Tohru paled. "I- Have I done anything wrong? I am only watching the welfare of my brother, we do intend to pay you every cent-"

Yuki cut her off. "My master must see you."

"No!" Akai leapt in front of her. "He will see my corpse before he lays a hand on my-"

"Akai!" Arisa leapt in front of the two.

Hatsuharu growled. "There is more here than meets the eye."

Kyo nodded. "So there is, brother."

"Kyoko-san was said to have two daughters," Yuki recalled, his eyes floating to the heavens. "Tohru. . ."

". . .And Akai." Hatsuharu finished. He charged then, and met the full force of Arisa's fist. Momentarily baffled, the young Sohma shook his head, and grabbed the next flying fist.

"RUN!" Saki's voice lifted from nowhere as she flew a bag of dust into the air.

Smoke was everywhere, the Sohma's were coughing on it.

All but one.

Kyo snarled, and leapt after Tohru and Akai. The two had taken a back entryway, and were about to leave for god knows where.

That was when he leapt on the first person he could grab.

Unfortunately, Akai doesn't like to be grabbed, and Saki doesn't like it when Akai gets grabbed either.

Kyo was hit with a full force barrage of pain before collapsing on top of Akai, the last thing he remembered was a bright white light, followed by crimson heat.

Saki, and Tohru tried to lift Kyo off of Akai. "Where's Arisa when you need her!"

Tohru felt someone grab her wrist and yank her away from Kyo and Akai, Akai called out to her, but just then something hit her head, and she fell into a world of black and shadow.

"Honda-san!"

"Tohru!"

"ONEESAN!!!!"

~~~~~~~***********

So!? How was it folks!? Please review!