Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Destiny Unmasked ❯ The Haunting Past ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Hey Everyone!
I'm up to writing chapter 2 which is great!
Hope you like this chapter; I've made it more interesting than the first one!
Chapter 2* The Haunting Past
 
Karina stood motionless as the lady spoke.
 
“I'm afraid to say that your mother isn't recovering, she is in a terrible state and she even has a rare case of strong Alzheimer's resulting in lack of memory and brain damage. If you like, you might want to come visit her sometime soon, we cannot predict how long she has left to live but just to be on the safe side, it would be good if you came here frequently, there is a slight chance that she might develop her memory back but it's very difficult.”
 
“W-w-well when do you think I should come in? Is she eating well, is she going to be okay?” questions came out of her mouth before she could react.
 
“You may come in tomorrow as her health check-up is due for tonight and we will be able to fill in all the necessary details.”
 
Karina figured that this lady was the receptionist. “Okay, thank you for calling; I'll drop by tomorrow after school in the afternoon.”
 
“Alright, Bye then.” The receptionist hung up.
 
Karina's eyes began to water as she thought of the past that haunted her everyday. Her life was about to crumble just like it had before her mother had the accident.
Just then Tohru walked in with a concerned expression on her face.
 
“Is everything alright?” She asked.
 
“Umm-I guess….” Karina forced a smile at Tohru.
 
“Hey Tohru, I think we better be going, that pervert will probably wonder where we are.” Kyo called out from the living room in Karina's apartment.
 
“Oh, okay. Karina, thank you so much for inviting us over today and the rice balls and tea you made us were delicious.” Tohru thanked Karina.

”Your welcome, I'll see you at school tomorrow then. Bye Tohru, Yuki, Kyo.” Karina replied still trying to sound happy.
 
“Bye.” Yuki and Kyo waved.
 
Karina sat down on her bed as she thought of her poor mother not being able to remember anything or anyone in her life; perhaps she had forgotten Karina as well. She had a sudden flashback in her head. The last time she saw her mother was a few months ago when her mother had suffered from a serious accident. She had been left with different guardians after the doctor had told her that her mother was unable to take care of her anymore until she recovered. Hearing this made Karina's heart tear up. The past had caused her so much pain and yet the future continues to do so.
 
Mean while back at the Sohma estate Shigure's house, Tohru, Yuki and Kyo arrived home with a loud welcome from Shigure.
 
“Well welcome back you three, what made you come back so late, where have you been, I have been sooo worried.” He said with a slight grin hiding behind his `fake' serious face.
 
“It's not like it's any of your business.” Kyo answered rudely while Yuki just ignored Shigure.
 
“Oh hello Shigure, we were just visiting a friend. She's new at our school, her names Karina and she's really sweet.” Tohru explained.
 
“Oh I see, another friend huh, I would really like to meet her.” Shigure said with interest.
 
“That's only because you want to meet every single girl in our school you pervert.” Kyo pointed out making his way upstairs into his bedroom.
 
“Oh, how could you say that, accusing me of such manner?” Shigure replied with the same cheeky accent in his voice.
 
“Whatever.” Yuki spoke as he helped Tohru with dinner.
 
They had stewed leeks for dinner, rice, soup, sashimi and some additional dishes although Kyo wouldn't let the leek subject off.
 
“Damn rat, how could you even think of cooking leeks today, you know I hate them, they are the nastiest food in the world, and I don't even know how you people survive from just looking at it.” Kyo said having one of his temper tantrums.
 
“Oh, actually it was my idea to cook leeks today; I've heard a lot of people have caught colds this winter so if you don't like it you can try my other dishes.” Tohru suggested.

“Even if you cooked it, I'll still blame it on that damn rat!” Kyo shouted.

“Shut up you stupid cat, don't you think you've caused enough noise already.” Yuki said.
 
“I don't care you damn rat.” Kyo shot back.
 
“Yuki, Kyo. As long as you don't break my house or destroy anything everyone will be happy.” Shigure interrupted.
 
As they argued, Tohru was trying to figure out the sadness on Karina's face. `It was right after that phone call when her face fell suddenly, I didn't know what to do.' thought Tohru.
 
After dinner Tohru and Yuki washed the dishes and dried them, then switched off the lights and went to bed.
 
Morning light shone through Karina's window, her alarm beeped wildly. She woke up with a startled feeling realising that today was the day that she'd meet her mother again, except this time her mother would be conscious and different. Although Karina wasn't prepared for the day ahead, she knew she had to deal with her responsibilities knowing that her mother could pass away anytime, anywhere.
 
The thought of losing her own mother made Karina shiver. She got changed into her uniform and brushed her hair leaving it down for today. She added brown streaks to make it look more interesting, so her hair was honey-blonde caramel as always plus strips of light brown that reminded her of milk chocolate.
 
She ate her breakfast as she had made herself simple pancakes with some berry yoghurt and a glass of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice. Then she cleansed her face, added moisturiser, brushed her teeth, glossed her lips, snatched her bag and headed out the door for school.
 
On the way to school, Karina enjoyed looking at the scenery. `It looks way more pleasant here than where I came from.' She thought as she picked a flower and sniffed the wonderful scent.
The cherry blossoms were even starting to bloom as winter began to depart, the sign of spring was obvious and the snow melting just made it clearer although the temperature was still the same freezing and cool fresh air as always.
 
Karina spotted Kyo at the gates and waved to him.
 
“Hi Kyo!”
 
“Hi Karina.” He greeted her with a puzzled look on his face.
 
“I'm not late, am I?” Karina asked worried that she would be late for class.
 
“Well, not really. It's just our teacher got a phone call before asking for you and I just came out here to pass the message onto you. This lady called from the hospital home and said that she has important news for you and it sounds to me as if it's urgent, I really don't know but if you wanna skip school, I'll just tell the teacher that you can't make it and you have something important to attend.” He told Karina.
 
“Oh, I think I should be going then, thanks for telling me, see you!” Karina fare welled running off to the train station.
 
She had absolutely no clue what they might've meant by `urgent' that she had to skip school.
She hoped that it would not be as bad as she thought as pictures of her mother dying came to mind. Karina payed for the train ticket and quickly caught the train to the city she used to live in. It took nearly an hour just to get there as it was very far away to where Tohru, Yuki and Kyo lived which was why she decided to move there so she could have a fresh start and to decrease the painful memories that had confronted her back then.
 
She exited out the door and took a taxi to the hospital home where her mother had been since the accident. She reached the hospital just in time to spot the receptionist taking out her phone and dialling Karina's number.
 
“Here I am, so what's going on?” Karina demanded losing her breath from sprinting.
 
 
 
 
Chapter 2: Been there done that.
Yay! 2 chapters in 2 days is good enough for me.
Once again, any comments you'd like to post, feel free to do so.
I would love to hear your support and your comments!
Fruitylicous-Angel