Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Destiny Unmasked ❯ Reflected Memories ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Hi readers,
I'd like to thank all the people that posted comments on my story, its great to hear your opinions. Keep posting reviews!
Now I'm up to chapter 3 so Enjoy Reading!
 
Chapter 3 Reflected Memories
 
“Come with me.” The receptionist said sternly leading Karina through the hospital corridors. She took her up the lift and into a room.
 
Karina was very nervous, what if her mother had completely forgotten her, she shivered at the thought.
 
“Your mother, she hates the hospital so much, more than anything she wishes to leave the room that she has been stuck in for nearly 7 months. She has been planning a way to escape from the hospital, the needles and the pain that she has suffered since she came here but she's never succeeded until yesterday after the health check-up the nurse needed to speak to the doctor and within that time, your mother ran away and unfortunately she wasn't strong enough and she slipped near the riverbank next to he hospital. She slipped on the mud and fell into the water hitting some rocks along the way. Our security guard found her 5 minutes later and she had some serious injuries. The doctor is thinking of sending her to a mental hospital because her brain damage is quite bad. She only talks to people that she knows well, so other than me, I think she needs to see you.” The receptionist explained shaking her head.
 
“I-I-I can't believe that happened.” Karina replied starting to cry as the receptionist opened the door to reveal her mother in bandages and needles lying on the bed. She could see that her head was bleeding and so was her upper right leg. Karina walked closer and sat on the chair next to the bed looking at her mother in despair. Her mother was unconscious but as Karina waited patiently, she woke up slowly.
 
“Nagisa, your daughter's here.” said the receptionist. Nagisa Hiroshi was her name, it meant seashore in Japanese. Karina always wondered why her mother's last name didn't match hers, not to mention the absence of Karina's father. Karina had never met her father, her mother never spoke of him nor did she ever see her mother wearing a wedding ring. Karina had even searched the whole house for a photo but there was none.
 
“K-Karina, is that you?” Nagisa asked weakly her eyes still half shut.
 
“Yes mum, I'm here. How are you feeling?”
 
Nagisa happened to not hear the question. “I haven't seen you in a long time, I've missed you sweetie. I even came to find you yesterday but then something happened, something stopped me.”
 
“It's okay mum, I miss you too but I'm sure everything's gonna be alright.” Karina reassured her mother praying that she herself was right.
 
Karina held onto her mothers hand tightly. All this time while Karina had stayed with her guardians, had fun and moved to a completely different place, entered Kaibara high and made friends her poor mother had stayed in hospital trying to get out of a miserable nightmare. The disgusting medicine, the painful operations and what's worse, being away from her family, her only daughter. Simply because Nagisa had no siblings, her parents made no contact with her anymore and her husband didn't seem to be around. Karina was her only hope left and now even Karina had moved to another city faraway. `Mum must've felt so lonely, sad and angry at the same time.' Karina thought in shame. She felt so guilty.
 
20 minutes later a nurse came in. “Sorry, I don't want to interrupt but the doctor needs to do more checks and umm…visiting hours are over.”
 
“Yes, Karina you can come over some other time okay?” the receptionist looked at Karina.
 
“Oh well, don't worry mum. I promise I'll come back to visit you soon. Please take care of yourself and don't try running away, you'll be fine.” Karina told Nagisa making sure that her mother understood her clearly.
 
Karina left the hospital and decided to go to the convenience store. She was thirsty and needed something cold to drink. Sometimes it occurred to Karina that she was the mother and Nagisa was the daughter especially after the accident, Karina had to leave the doctors to look after her mother when she would continue her studying. Nagisa still hadn't a clue that Karina had moved to another city.
 
She finally reached the store and browsed the shop for something nice and refreshing. She chose a sparkling fruit drink, purchased it then left the store wondering what she should do next. Karina thought of her guardians home, how they had kindly taken her in when her mother wasn't able to look after her.
 
At school, Tohru let out a loud sigh after finishing her exam paper. “I am so glad that winter exams are over, now I can just relax.” The bell rang and she sat there day-dreaming until Yuki tapped her on the shoulder.
 
“Miss Honda, how did you do in the exam?”
 
“Oh, good thanks Yuki.” She replied happily.
 
“Hey Tohru, aren't you supposed to be at work right now?” Kyo pointed out.
 
Tohru suddenly jumped up from her seat and packed her bag. “Oh my gosh, I can't believe I forgot about work, now I'm going to be late, oh dear!” she exclaimed getting into one of her everyday panics.
 
“Relax already; it starts in 10 minutes not 1.” Kyo said casually.
 
“Oh but I still have to get changed and prepare.” Tohru stammered.
Tohru ran out the door while Uo asked Hana.

“Hey Hana, you seen Karina today at all?”
 
“No, her waves were never present today, I'm sensing some trouble and uncertainty in her waves, they aren't calm like usual but pretty hyped up.” Hana replied doing one of her wave reports.
 
“That's odd; I wonder what's going on.” Uo stated.
 
Meanwhile still in the other city, Karina had arrived outside her guardian's home, she wanted to see how they were doing and if they had changed or not. She noticed the changes outside of the house, it had been renovated recently. She also noticed the magnificent garden planted in front of the house. It was so pretty and adorable; there was even a mini pond with goldfish in it and tadpoles. It was indeed a beautiful home. Cream-coloured with a tinge of mahogany wood.
 
Karina knocked on the door and waited; she couldn't wait to see her guardian family. They were so nice not to mention good at cooking and baking. A friendly-faced man opened the door with a surprised but happy expression.
 
“Karina, what a pleasant surprise!” He greeted her giving her a firm handshake.
 
“Hi Dad.” She replied. Karina had gotten so used to her family that she even called them mum and dad. It felt like home as soon as she stepped into the building.
 
“Hey Risa, look who's here.” He called out to his wife Risa.
 
A posh looking lady ran down the stairs from the second story.
 
“Karina! Wow you look gorgeous and it's only been a few months since we last saw you.”
 
“Hi mum, thanks you look gorgeous yourself.” Karina replied.
 
“Come, sit down, and tell us what you've been up to.” Risa led her to the living room.
 
A boy about Karina's age appeared behind a door. Who was he? He looked so familiar but yet so distant.
 
 
 
 
Thanks for reading chapter 3.
Chapter 4 won't be too faraway!
 
Fruitylicous-Angel