Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Destiny Unmasked ❯ Passionate Spring ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

It feels awesome to be able to publish 3 chapters in less than a week.
And thanks to all your support i.e. People, who gave reviews, read my story and added me to their favourites list!!! I can start chapter 4. This chapter is a bit different to what I usually write. So grab your snacks, relax and have fun reading chapter 4 in Destiny Unmasked. xxThanksxx
 
Chapter 4 Passionate Spring
 
Risa turned towards the direction that Karina was looking at.
 
“Why don't you come down here, you remember Karina right?” Risa called out to the boy behind the door and gestured him to come nearer.
 
The boy walked towards Karina, his eyed widened.
 
“Karina? Is that you, wow you look different. In a good way though.” He said.
 
“Umm….you look uhh different too.” Karina replied still wondering who he was.
 
“Have you forgotten Kenji already? He's your best friend!” Risa said.
 
“Oh, sorry it's just that he looks so different, I couldn't recognize him.” Karina said in embarrassment.
 
Back in college and her first years of high school, her best friend was Kenji who's parents later decided to become Karina's guardian. Feeling so sorry that her mother was stuck in hospital and that she had no idea where her father was, Kenji had managed to persuade his parent's.

But before she even moved in with Kenji's family. She sort of had a fling with him. Since back then, he had treated her like she was his princess; she felt privileged and had a minor crush. That was until he had misunderstood her for sisterly love instead of `love' love, and to make it worse she had to hurt another guys feelings because he liked her too and he was jealous of Kenji. So she decided to leave that al behind now that she would treat Kenji more like a brother than someone she used to daydream about.
 
And what's more, Kenji was very popular at his old school for having rich parents, that is, he also had good taste and good looks and good advice for all the people with troubles.
Karina was use to gazing at his shiny black hair, his dark blue eyes and his smile but now she couldn't really recognize him since he seemed to have dyed his hair a dark brown with streaks, changed his hairstyle and had grown a lot taller.
 
“So Karina, how did your hair end up so completely fascinating?” Risa interrupted after seconds of what seemed like absurd silence.
 
“Oh uhh, I washed it with uhh, scented and good shampoo and some good conditioner.” Karina replied feeling dumbfounded by what she said.
 
Little did she know that Kenji also liked her, but they both went different pathways for the same reasons and they didn't even confess their feelings for each other, not once.
 
After a while, Kenji's parents had persuaded Karina and him to take a walk in the nearby park to get fresh air and to catch up.
 
“So how've you been, I haven't seen you for so long.” Said Kenji.
 
“I've been fine, I moved into an apartment in a city 45 minutes away from here on train, I'm attending a school called Kaibara high and I've made a lot of friends.”
 
“That sounds great but why did you move so faraway from here and plus you've never actually told me or mum or dad where you live in that new `city'?” He asked suspiciously.
 
“Sorry, I've just been busy you know, I just visited my own mum and she isn't doing well in hospital. I'm worried for her and I just decided it would be best if I moved faraway so I could forget the past that's caused me to have nightmares about everyday.” Karina explained.
 
“Aww, come on. I wasn't that bad was I?” Kenji questioned.
 
“No, it wasn't you, it was….my…parents. Something happened, my mums not telling me, she's hiding something. I've never met my dad, she never speaks of him nor does she keep a photo of him in the house and why the hell is my last name Sohma? It's just, it doesn't seem like she ever chose my name to be Karina. Everything just doesn't fit in and whenever I feel like questioning her, something tells me to back off, either that or she changes the subject completely and it feels like I can't talk communicate with her properly, like she's avoiding some of my questions, you know, I'm just curious. What kind of secret is my mum hiding? So I can't stop thinking about that unless I'm in a new environment and trust me the new environment actually works. My friends over there are so supportive and not to mention friendly! I already miss them, haha.” Karina finished off laughing at her own joke.
 
One of the things that Karina liked about Kenji was how he would listen, and how it made her spill the beans on everything, she could tell him anything but the fact that she like liked him. But this time she didn't realize that Kenji felt a slight discomfort inside.
 
Karina had already started talking about her new friends like they were the best people she's ever met. Had she forgotten that he had accepted her in college and had she also forgotten that his parents were the ones that took her in?
 
“So um.. how many new friends have you made?” Kenji asked.
 
“Oh lets see, there's Tohru, Hana, Uo, Kyo, Yuki, so that's 5. Maybe even Momiji or Haru which might make it 7, I can't believe its 7 new friends. I feel so popular!” Karina replied seeing the look on Kenji's face. He looked hurt.
 
“I'm sorry, I didn't mean to exclude you. I was only counting my new friends. Of course you will always be one of my closest and best friends. Don't forget that.” She added quickly.
 
“Umm… thanks.” Kenji answered amazed at how she had read his mind instantly.
 
“So I haven't even asked how you've been.”
 
“Not too bad. Well anyway, want ice-cream?” Kenji changed the subject.
 
It seemed that Kenji too was hiding a secret. It was just the feeling of anxiety that reached Karina every time they let out a reaction showing instant change. No matter how big the secret was, it still was a secret and Karina wanted to know what was on his mind.
 
Kenji ran to the ice-cream truck and asked what flavour Karina wanted.
 
“Strawberries and cream please.” Karina chose a peachy coloured ice-cream.
 
Kenji chose a chocolate and caramel flavoured one and then paid for them both. They sat down at a picnic table and ate their ice-creams.
 
Karina looked around the park. There were a few dogs playing fetch, people hosting picnics and a man playing his guitar while people gathered round to listen. Karina admired the park, for it was a calm, peaceful and a quiet area to be in. She also spotted the flowers blooming and the ducks on the lake swimming, there were even a few ducklings.
 
She loved Spring so much she started daydreaming in a trance while Kenji looked at her oddly.
“Hey, are you alright?” He waved a hand in front of her face.
 
“huh, mm, oh, sorry.” Karina awoke from her trance.
 
“So what were you thinking about?” Kenji asked.
 
“Well, I was just thinking about how fast winter has gone and how fast spring has arrived, it's kinda scary. It's been a whole year since I left your family. I remember the last time I saw you was spring the previous year.”

“Yea time does fly, doesn't it.” Kenji agreed.
 
“So….any thoughts of coming back to stay with us?” he queried.
 
Before Karina could reply, something caught her eye. A cute young boy stood at a counter selling lemonade for 50 cents. A girl was at the counter purchasing lemonade when a dog ran past her causing her to get a fright. The girl leaned forward and bumped into the young boy.
 
Throughout the following seconds, Karina stared in disbelief. Something out of the ordinary happened right in front of her eyes.
 
 
 
 
Find out in chapter 5:
Cheers!

Fruitylicous-Angel
 
p.s no matter how many times I change my nickname, fruitylicious-angel is the original.