Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Don't Forget Me ❯ Ice ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 5: Ice
 
By the end of the week, everyone had completed their exams, fare-welled each other and had left school for the Winter break. The temperature had fallen to -2 degrees and the ponds and lakes were beginning to freeze, the air was fresh and cold with frost settling slowly on each windowsill in Tokyo and the trees and buildings were covered with a thin layer of pure white snow. Tohru sat in her bed and turned the heater on while scribbling words into her daily diary and taking out her mother's photo album which she kept under her pillow every night.
 
In front of her was also a neat parcel that was wrapped with ribbons and wrapping paper that shone as it was metallic. She received this from the mailbox that morning and yet she hadn't opened it yet, the reason why was simply because, the address from where it was sent from, resembled a place she knew….a place in which she lived in….a place called home where she and her mother used to live together when her father Katsuya died. The words on the back read Kyoko Honda, her mother's own name imprinted with her handwriting although it was slightly smudged from the wet ink back then.
 
Tohru wondered why she would've received a parcel from her mother herself, since she was dead, she then let her eye wander to the date on the bottom right corner, the parcel seemed to be sent before her mother died...just a few weeks before. Tohru remembered eventually the day her mother went away and left Tohru with her grandpa, it was when her mother had a job conference and had to go all the way to Kyoto just for a meeting. She was 15 when that happened and right now she was 16.
 
She slid her fingers onto the ribbon untying it slowly with ease, she was careful not to rip it since she felt that whatever was inside was something really fragile and precious. Soon she had removed the ribbon and was now onto the wrapping paper. After what seemed like endless minutes, she held the object in front of her with tears in her eyes. A picture of her father and mother with a baby Tohru in their arms, they're faces grinning with pride. This was the first time Tohru had seen a picture of her dad since he died when she was so young that she hadn't been able to capture his face enough to keep it in her memory.
 
She dug inside the box after taking a good look at the photo and found something else, a musical jewellery box that would play a sweet melody as you open it, since it was so dusty it covered the image that was put inside the transparent photo holder on the top. She opened the lock from the back and took the photo out, it was her and Kyoko when they were much older with Uo as well. She accidentally dropped the box and got a huge fright afraid that it would break, she quickly picked it up noticing another picture fall out from behind. She bent down and analysed it then blew off the dust, her eyes widened.
 
The picture that was behind the other had Kyoko and a small boy, he was very cute…yet so familiar, she held it close to her face and saw the orange hair on him. `Could this really be…..no it can't….but it looks so much like……..Kyo….?' Her heart beat fast as the real Kyo came into the room after knocking, he saw the look on her face and he shot a surprised glance at her.
 
“Umm…I was just gonna ask if you wanted to go out instead of staying in the house all the time but are you okay?” He asked as Tohru turned the photo around and showed it to him.
 
“This little boy….is that you?” She whispered as he felt a chilly feeling down his spine, he recognised not only him but the lady beside…he knew her.
 
-------
 
The atmosphere was gloomy as sounds of sobbing filled the room, a sea of black clothing and the sight of a mere coffin lay in front of everyone's eyes.
 
“A great husband and a brilliant father, Kazuki Yoshida will always be remembered for his warm-heart and friendliness towards everyone in the community, his contribution will not be forgotten and neither will his love for his family, his job and his friends. We wish you all the best and rest in peace.” The speaker announced as Karina a handkerchief out and started to wipe her tears and her guardian Risa did the same. Kenji had seated himself back next to Karina after placing a flower next to his dead father's coffin.
 
He saw the sadness in everyone's eyes and squeezed Karina's hand tightly. He wanted to be there for her, he wanted to support and give everything he could to her…maybe that way she would realise how much she really meant to him.
 
After the funeral, Karina had gone to the Yoshida home just to see how things were going at their house. Risa had gotten a bit better but it was quite sad just to see Kenji and her living in such an empty…now lifeless home that no longer had as much cheerfulness as before when Kazuki was around. Risa had even considered selling the home since Kazuki made the majority of the profit and now that he was gone things would change… although they are quite rich, they would have a small chance of becoming bankrupt.
 
“Do you need anything? Food? Drinks?” Kenji appeared behind her after she walked around the house capturing the meaningless scene.
 
“I'm fine thanks.” She forced a smile.
 
“I know what you're thinking…this place isn't suitable for mum and me anymore, we can't possibly live in such a big house like this with only 2 people and if we don't get out of this place then we can't move on.” He read her thoughts.
 
“Tell me more…” Karina was interested in what he had to say.
 
“Everyday when mum comes back from work, she has a smile on her face, it's like she's expecting to see dad but she has set her hopes way too high and her illusions fade leaving her reality…well in other words…dads no longer here. I just don't think she's ready to accept that yet, I mean…I feel bad, now we can't have family dinners anymore and we can't share the same family life, not to mention you're in Tokyo nowadays…but I don't know how long mum will take till she can see the truth and learn to carry on with life as a normal person.” He explained, Karina was quite amazed at what Kenji was saying…it was like he said it straight from his heart which didn't happen very often.
 
“And what about you? Are you okay? Because I know you love you're mum but you got to know that you're fine with the situation before you move on to other people.” Karina looked at him.
 
“I guess you could say I'm devastated…but I can handle it, besides I've felt that loss before.”
 
“Huh? Really? When?” Kaori questioned.
 
“When you left without saying goodbye to me.”
 
“Oh…that, I'm sorry, I never knew that would hurt you so bad...”
 
“Nah, it's ok.”
 
“No it isn't…Kenji…I know how much you care for me…but the truth is I don't feel the same…”
 
“Kenji, I just got a call about where to place your dad's grave, do you have a suggestion?” Risa interrupted just as Karina had the courage to confess.
 
“Umm…maybe in that park that dad used to always take me, there is a cemetery there I think.” Kenji answered.
 
“Oh good idea. Thank you Kenji, I think that is where it will be.” She returned to her phone call as Kenji looked back at Karina.
 
“Uhh…sorry, what were you saying?”
 
Karina opened her mouth to speak but no words came out, and once they did, they didn't run as smooth as before.
 
“N-n-n-nothing…umm…I-I-It doesn't matter….”
 
“Karina are you okay? You look pale.” He commented seeing the petrified look on her face.
 
“Yea…umm…I think I should be going back now, It's getting late and this isn't my home anymore so umm…cya…” She made her way to the exit just as Kenji grabbed her hand from behind and stopped her from reaching the door.
 
“You can stay here for tonight, the train isn't running right now and besides, this is your second home.” He smiled….somehow Karina was always attracted to the special twinkle in his eye, it was one of his best features.
 
“I…uhh…”
 
“Come on, you've still got some stuff that you left here anyway.”
 
“Oh…ok.” She stuttered as the door remained untouched.
 
----
 
“Where'd you get that?” Kyo took the photo from Tohru's hands.
 
“It was in the package that I got from my mother that was delayed for a year…I don't know how that happened but Kyo…why are you in the picture with my mother?” She asked with curiosity.
 
“Tohru…I think…I knew you're mum when I was little…” He told her.
 
“Kyo…how come I didn't know any of this…?”
 
“It was something that happened before my master took me in.”
 
“Oh…I don't get it, how did she know you?”
 
“It just happened, your mum was really kind to me and…she treated me like other people unlike my own mother.” Kyo replied bluntly.
 
“How come I never knew you when I was little?”
 
“I don't know…I just never met you….I guess….”
 
Tohru took Kyo's hands in hers as his eyes grew wide with surprise.
 
“Kyo, whatever happens, we'll still be friends right? Can you promise me that we won't keep big secrets from each other anymore? Please?” She gave him a pleading look.
 
“Yea…sure.” He replied casually.
 
“Thank you Kyo.”
 
Meanwhile Yuki walked past their open door at that exact time, Tohru and Kyo catching his eye as he stopped to stare. They looked like they were in their own world…together, gazing into each other's eyes…even a foreigner or a dumb student could tell that they were deeply in love…somehow Yuki felt slightly heartbroken…knowing that he had definitely lost against Kyo. Even though Kyo couldn't beat him in martial arts, he had gotten to Tohru first.
 
---
 
Karina closed the glass door behind her and stepped into the cold night air in the Yoshida's backyard garden. It was pretty large for a garden at home; there was a bridge over the water and trees everywhere, just the typical traditional tidy Japanese garden that you'd see in travel guides and tourist attractions, maybe just a smaller version of them though…but still beautiful in every way. She then spotted Kenji on the other side of the bridge, he was stargazing…with his back on the grass. Karina looked up and realised why Kenji was admiring the sky so much, it was basically a glittering blanket of stars and clouds passing by. She smiled and crossed the bridge while staring at the frozen lake beneath her. She lay down next to Kenji and decided to join him. She had never actually tried to relax to stargaze before, she'd never seen it as part of her enjoyment, it was usually something she would do as she stepped onto the deck of her apartment.
 
“Hey.” He greeted her.
 
“Hey to you too.”
 
“It's amazing isn't it?”
 
“Definitely.” Karina agreed.
 
“So how often do you do this?” She wondered.
 
“Every few nights when there's a lot of stars, it just calms me down you know, dad use to do this as well whenever he was stressed at work, it just seemed that he looked up there for guidance, supposedly I guess it might've helped him through hard times, this garden and the sky.” Kenji explained.
 
“Wow…I should do this more often.” Karina laughed.
 
“Yea, I think you should, sometimes I often ask myself if you're staring at the same sky as me at the same time. From Tokyo to Nagoya isn't too far don't you think?”
 
“I guess.” Karina sighed, it had been a long day and just being able to forget all the bad memories kind of gave her a clear mind.
 
“Thanks for letting me stay here tonight, I mean after the drama you've been through, you're still willing to help me, I mean you're still concerned about me even though you're troubled, you always think of others before yourself, and that's a great thing, you're not self-centred at all, I like that.” She admitted.
 
“Oh…thanks, I dunno, it just comes naturally.” He answered.
 
“So you still attending the same school?”
 
“Yea, and you know its annoying because today's meant to be valentines day and I ruined it by dragging you into this along with me.”
 
“Kenji, don't say that, you're dads way more important to me and so are you so don't you worry about that V word.”
 
“Well just incase, I got this for you.” He took something out of his pocket and handed her a small gift bag.
 
She opened it carefully and found herself staring at a shimmering bracelet that had two charms, both said K….Karina guessed that one stood for her name and the other was Kenji's. Then she read the label on the gift bag and it read `to my valentine.' Karina felt herself turning red hard out as she slipped it on and just looked at it forgetting that Kenji was next to her. Kenji felt her silence and tried to start another conversation.
 
“Umm...well…do you like it?”
 
“Yea, yea, Yes...” Karina snapped out of her stupidity and nodded her head numerous times.
 
“It's really gorgeous.” She took a deep breath before speaking again.
 
“Uhh..ok…cool.”
 
“Well…thanks.”
 
“No problem.”
 
`Luckily the sky and the stars saved this conversation, I mean seriously, if it was just inside the house, then it'd be the most awkward silence I've ever had with Kenji.' Karina laughed with relief.
 
Karina looked at her watch, it was getting pretty late. She sat up after a few minutes and told Kenji that she was going now and that she was getting tired.
 
“Sweet dreams then.” Kenji also sat up and planted a goodnight kiss on her lips almost giving her a fright.
 
“You too Kenji, Goodnight”
 
-----
 
Tohru opened her drawer and took out the Valentines day chocolates that she was going to give everyone once again, this year. This time she made sure that she had enough money for both herself and all the chocolates. She stepped out of her room and spotted Kyo on the roof, he came down once he saw her and she handed him the chocolates which he accepted even though he hated Valentines Day.
 
Then she gave it to Shigure who replied with an over-excited thank you before Kyo could chase him around the house. And last but not least was Yuki, come to think of it, Tohru didn't see him at all today. `I wonder where he is? Normally he doesn't go out without telling one of us first…oh where is he?' she asked herself while walking around the whole house searching for him. After a while, she got tired and decided to ask Shigure and Kyo.
 
“I'm not so sure, I haven't seen him either.”
 
“No idea, I don't give a damn where that darn rat is anyway, he can go off to Scotland if he knows what's best for him.” Kyo scoffed.
 
Tohru started to panic.
 
 
“Maybe I'm just overreacting, Yuki's fine, he's just gone somewhere, I'm sure he'll come back soon.” Tohru looked at the wrapped chocolate that she still held in the palm of her hand.
 
---
 
A/N: Hey, if you have time, please leave a review before you leave, thanks.