Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Don't Forget Me ❯ Scar ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A/N: I've got some replies for my fellow reviews:
Fanfiction
saphirz world: Why thank you Mel!
Mischievous Angel: yup…I enjoyed writing the kawaii fluff lol
Daelaeyni: Yes, you were right, there may be a possible love triangle
mysticwaterfall: my first romance…not too bad right? But thanks for ur review, glad ya find it interesting.
KittyMojo: Don't blame ya, to tell the truth, I dislike Akito quite a lot too…thanks for reviewing
 
Mediaminer
silver_wolf- hehe, yes it was cute!! you're reviews are great!! Thank you!
ren-hatake- happy to hear you're opinion. Much appreciated
2SEXY4U- yup I hear ya, I'm updating lol…and yes Kyo's dad is super mean, kinda feel sorry for kyo myself but anyways thx 4 da review.

Sorry for the wait!! Mean old Exams…GRRR>.....oh well at least camp was great! And because of the delay I've decided to make this chapter extra long. So thanks for being patient with me. Let me repeat my frequent words: You guys/girls ROCK!!!!!! Right…so this chaps gonna have a little action…tiny moments of fluff and some….evilness haha, I was just sitting in bed one day and this idea just popped into my head …so yea…read onwards and hope you like it!

Chapter 9: Scar
 
The night went on slowly, Yuki wasn't home yet after the Winter festival. Shigure was at Ayame's place for a short visit leaving the house to Kyo and Tohru themselves. Kyo had said goodnight to Tohru and had also crashed into his mattress while reading. Tohru on the other hand was in the bathroom brushing her teeth and untying her hair as she got ready for a good night's sleep. After the entire hazardous but memorable fun picnic, she had to struggle with taking leaves out of her previous knotty hair caused by the wind and the water. She entered her room, tucked herself in the warm blankets; she was nearly asleep until she smelt a strange scent in her bedroom.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------

Kyo stopped his daydreaming and felt his mouth dry, he was thirsty. He complained to himself as he made his way to the kitchen fridge door, going down the stairs and passing the lounge along the way. Kyo poured himself a glass of cold milk and sat down on the sofa, he gazed outside and thought he saw a figure or a person running past but ignored his conscience and forgot about it quickly, thinking it was no big deal…that was until he heard a scream…coming from Tohru's bedroom upstairs.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------
Tohru got off her bed and looked around, she was surrounded by fire…one half was in fumes and the other was not. Tohru tried reaching for the window but it wouldn't budge, then she thought of Kyo…he was still in the house and if he wasn't warned then…then…no she couldn't leave him. Tohru ran back but burned her leg along the way causing her to scream in pain, it hurt but she had to carry on. She reached for the door but dropped and fell when she felt extreme loss of oxygen.
 
The flames were starting to get hotter and were spreading quite fast, she was struggling to keep alive when she heard Kyo's voice yell out her name. He opened the door and saw Tohru on the floor. Kyo quickly got a thick bed sheet and held it then lifted her up (so there is something other than clothes between his arms and her body which means he won't transform that easily), his face full of shock as another flame started behind him.
 
Now he couldn't get through the door, the only option was the window on the far end of the room. He placed Tohru onto the bed and took the study chair and threw it at the window causing it to break and shatter to pieces. He did this on purpose to get more air into the room as he too felt some oxygen loss.
 
Kyo got the bed sheet once more and carried Tohru over his shoulder and ran past the fire and made a narrow exit to a careful climb onto the tree outside of Tohru's bedroom window. Somehow he felt that the fire was rather deliberate than accidental, although Tohru was clumsy, there was nothing in her room that could've caused a fire apart from a heater, but it was off because tonight wasn't too cold even though it was winter.
 
Kyo could hear things crashing behind him as the fire began to eat everything in its way. He slowly staggered to his feet the branch broke in half making him fall, he felt a sharp pain on his arm and he cried out in annoyance, it seemed he had just about broken his arm. Tohru landed beside him and she was knocked awake by the ground but still weak.
 
“Kyo?” She murmured.
 
“Yea….Tohru…” Kyo breathed in and out while checking up on her ignoring his arm.
 
“You saved me….but you're …hurt.” She stuttered.
 
“I'm okay, what about you?” Kyo asked as he saw the light of the fire engines and the ambulance parked outside of his house and the sight of Shigure's horrified expression but still no sign of the damn rat.
 
“It's alright…I'm ….fine…”
 
“Come on…we have to get over there…to let them know that we're alive.” Kyo had to carry her with his other arm this time since one of them was injured badly.

As soon as they spotted him, Shigure quickly took Tohru and Kyo to the ambulance as they were taken away to the hospital with Shigure sitting inside, his face full of relief.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------

Half an hour ago

Yuki Sohma was on his way home when his head flooded with thoughts of today's reflections, the reporters and all the humour. He laughed to himself until he felt a hand touch his shoulder. He turned around and faced a woman in her forties staring back at him. Her hair was a caramel colour, kind of a cross between gold and a light brown. Her eyes were chestnut coloured and she looked familiar.
 
“Excuse me…are you Yuki Sohma?” The woman asked.
 
“Uhh…yes…do I know you?” He replied.
 
“I'm not sure if you do…but you know my daughter….Karina Sohma…” She spoke sending an uncomfortable feeling in Yuki's stomach.
 
“You're….you're daughter?” He shook his head in disbelief.
 
“Yes…my name is Nara Horikawa…I believe you have met and befriended my daughter Karina…”
 
“Yes…I have.”
 
“May I please speak to you?” Nara asked.
 
“Oh…ok…does Karina know you're here.”
 
“No.”
 
A few minutes later, Yuki had ended up in a café with Karina's biological mother instead of going home.
 
“So what…what happened…may I ask?” Yuki started the conversation while sipping tea.
 
“Long story…After my lover left me…who I presume must be Karina's father, well I had no strength to bear Karina on my own…He told me to have an abortion, but I disagreed and when he finally told me that he already had a wife and son of his own…I felt…angry and rejected and also…deprived. I gave Karina away and went through a lot of depression, drugs and misunderstandings when finally I enrolled myself into a psychiatric hospital…and it's been about 14 years since that happened, since I went…strange…I think…Karina must be 16 now, am I right?”
 
“Yes…but how did you know or recognise me?” Yuki was interested to know.
 
“Well…believe it or not, when I was released from the hospital, I bumped into Karina's father and…he told me about you, although I can see the hatred in his eyes…or rather, he said he no longer had a family, I didn't quite understand what he meant…but it's true and I thought maybe if I found you, then…I would be able to reunite with my long lost daughter.” She explained.
 
“Oh…this does make sense to me now.” Yuki answered.
 
“All I want to know now…is….is she doing okay? Is she healthy? What does she look like?” Nara questioned.
 
“Uhh…she's doing very well. I'm sure her academic results are great, she's in wonderful condition and I went to the Winter Festival with her today, umm…she has the same coloured hair as you and she's very…uhh…she's a great person with a nice personality.”
“Is she beautiful? I always imagined her to be.” Nara smiled.
 
“As a matter of fact…yes…..I guess so.” Yuki blushed happy that Karina was not here.
 
“Well…where does she live, can I see her?”
 
“Well…maybe, I uhh… suppose I better talk to her first…or something.” Yuki replied.
 
“Excuse me.” Yuki interrupted her next question as he picked up his cell-phone.
 
Shigure told him about the accident, the fire and Kyo and Tohru in hospital. Yuki was forced to leave Nara and promised her that he would contact her about Karina another time as he took a cab to the hospital.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------
 
“I only left for a few hours and look what that stupid cat did.” Yuki threw a bunch of words at Shigure instead of a casual `hello' or `how are they doing.'
 
“Oh Yuki, it wasn't Kyo's fault, well I don't think it was anyway, apparently the fire started in Tohru's bedroom, oh its terrible…my beautiful house…now needed for renovation, even worse than you and Kyo's constant fighting…ahh, this is so sad.” Shigure put on his `pitiful' acts as Yuki sighed and headed off ignoring Shigure.
 
“Hello Miss Honda, how are you doing?” He opened the door and sat on the chair next to Tohru's bed after noticing Kyo's broken arm and irritated face.
 
“I'm fine thank you Yuki, Kyo saved my life…I'm very happy and lucky to be alive, how was the Winter festival with Karina?”
 
“Yea, care to explain about couple of the week?” Kyo snorted ignoring the urge to laugh.
 
“That…was…a mistake, those darn reporters…don't know what their talking about…Umm…the Winter festival was great, we went ice-skating and we bought a lot of items at the stores.” Yuki continued to answer Tohru's question after gritting his teeth at Kyo.
 
“We saw how bad you are at ice-skating, ha, finally something the damn rat can't do.” Kyo smirked.
 
“Will you just shut up or I won't be Mr nice guy and beat you up whilst you have a broken arm, who knows, it might just make the job easier.” Yuki shot back at him.
 
“Damn Rat!”
 
“You stupid cat!”
 
“Now, now boys, leave each other alone, I'm sure you want to have you're friendly bonding right now but I think it's a bit inappropriate, especially with Tohru in the room plus the fact that everyone had just survived a fire, why don't you go outside now Yuki, the nurses need to take a good check up on these two.” Shigure came into the room with a serious looking nurse behind him.
 
“Fine, get well soon Miss Honda.” Yuki smiled at Tohru before exiting the room.
 
“Since they are staying overnight at the hospital tonight, oh lucky Kyo, he gets Tohru all to himself…how selfish.”
 
“Shut up and get on with it.” Yuki threatened.
 
“Oh Yuki, no need for harsh words, all I'm saying is that we will have to stay at a hotel for a few weeks until we manage to clean up the mess and reconstruct Tohru's bedroom. Or we could ask Akito if we could stay at the main house temporarily….”
 
“The hotels fine, just stick with that idea.” Yuki hated the thought of going back to the main house and for a few weeks as well, Yuki wanted to avoid that for as long as he could.
 
“But…we have to pay…”
 
“I don't care; the hotel is closer so just book a few rooms hurry up.” Yuki urged as they left the hospital.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------
 
Karina rummaged through the contents in her cupboard, she was thinking of baking a cake for Kenji since his birthday was coming up soon but sadly there was neither sugar nor cocoa.

“So that's it huh?” Karina winced at her cupboard and shut it, rolling her eyes and getting fed up from her laziness of supermarket shopping. She wasn't the best cook; she could only do with easy food. Karina finally decided she would make a stop to the cake shop as it was closing very soon since it was getting late. She locked her apartment door and set down the streets for the nearest spot, she knew chocolate coated banana sponge cake was always Kenji's favourite, but it was just something that would've been added to her `things I cannot cook' list.
 
She opened the door of the cake shop and started to browse through all the varieties and flavours when she finally came across the perfect cake.
 
“I'd like to have a chocolate coated banana spo…” Karina paused as soon as she looked up. The boy shop assistant was no ordinary guy, it was Kenji…but it didn't make sense…he didn't live here in Tokyo.
 
“Kenji…what are you doing here?” She asked.
 
“I'm just…working here.” Kenji started to collect the cake without saying anything else.
 
“Wait…I don't need it anymore….” Karina stopped him.
 
“Ok.” Kenji began to close the curtains and he took off his apron. Somehow it felt like he was avoiding her…this was not the average same guy that Karina saw usually.
 
“Are you alright?”
 
“I'm fine.”
 
“But…why are you here?”
 
“Mom's deciding to sell the house, she told me to get a job while I'm at it.”
 
“I don't get it…I understand selling the house…but why a job?” Karina questioned.
 
“I mean I better get used to this place and the people if I'm gonna move here right?”
 
“What? You're moving here?”
 
“You sound somewhat disappointed.”
 
“No. no no, not that at all…just…in all the places in Japan, you wanted Tokyo?
 
“What's the problem?” Kenji raised an eyebrow
 
“Nothing.”
 
“It's okay, I will try not to ruin the loving relationship between you and you're boyfriend if that's what you're saying.” Kenji turned his back as Karina nearly jumped out of her skin.
 
“What the hell?”
“Karina, don't lie to me…I thought…I thought we were…”
 
“Is…this the thing about…the TV broadcasting…I mean, is that what you saw?” Karina bit her bottom lip.
 
“What do you think?”
 
“Kenji, I'm really sorry…”
 
“It's okay.” He said in a voice that didn't gain her trust.
 
“No…you don't get it, the thing is, we're not dating, Yuki and I…we're just very good friends…but the reporters thought that we were a couple…and it was just some darn stupid mistake…they don't know what their talking about.”
 
“Really?” Kenji gave her a look of disbelief.
 
“What…you don't believe me? Kenji…I'm not the kind of person who can lie smoothly okay? Can't you tell, I'm being serious here.” Karina sighed getting a bit frustrated.
 
“…..ok…well…I trust you, so sorry….I got the wrong message…note to self, never listen to the media.” Kenji turned his gloomy expression to a quick joke.
 
“Ah Thank you!” Karina ran behind the counter and gave him a strong bear hug.
 
“So…tell me who the cake was for?”
 
“No one…I was hungry.” Karina lied in her usual….obvious way.
 
“Yea…now I get what you mean by you're terrible lying.” Kenji laughed.
 
“Sure sure.” Karina smirked.
 
After Kenji had closed the shop, he had gone back to his temporary rental home in Tokyo as Karina went to her apartment.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------
 
“Shigure, I'm going to bed, I'm getting tired.” Yuki stepped out of the bathroom and collapsed onto the queen sized hotel bed.
 
“Umm…before you sleep Yuki…there is a slight incy wincy problem.” Shigure pointed out to the bed and looked around, it was the only bed in the whole suite.
 
“Go book yourself a room.”
 
“I'm afraid I don't have enough money.”
 
“That's you're problem.”
 
“Oh Yuki, why do you have to be so cruel?” Shigure fell onto the other side and pulled the covers up pretending to be asleep when he heard and felt a strong pain on the side of his body.
 
“You can sleep on the floor you pervert.” Yuki snatched the blankets and punched Shigure so hard, he fell off the bed and onto the carpet.
 
“But Yuki…”

”Goodnight.” Yuki switched off the lights and threw a pillow at Shigure at the same time.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------
 
The bright morning rays lit through the see through curtains in the hospital ward as Kyo groaned at the aching pain on his close to broken arm. He turned his body around and looked at Tohru, she looked so cute and peaceful when she was sleep. `Argh…now I just sound perverted.' He awoke from his thoughts and sat up, staring at the ceiling.
 
“Good Morning Kyo.” Tohru's cheerful and tired voice filled the room.
 
“Uhh…morning.” Kyo responded hoping that she didn't see him watching her in her sleep.
 
“Well…are you hungry?” Kyo found this question as a way to save the silence.
 
“No, I'm fine thanks.” Tohru also sat up and smiled.
 
“Umm…I'd just like to say how happy I am and how grateful I feel that you saved my life, I could've died in that fire so thank you very much.” Tohru spoke.
 
“It's….it's nothing, just…ahh I'm so angry…Tohru, I saw a person outside of our house that night just moments before the fire started.” Kyo blushed then decided to tell her about that mysterious figure lurking in their garden, believing that he wasn't hallucinating.
 
“Oh…really?” Tohru's eyes widened.
“I think they started the fire…but I only managed to catch a glimpse of the person, it was too dark to see anything.”
 
“Oh dear…this isn't good...somebody hates us… I mean hates me…”
 
“Who knows…but it is strange that is happened to start in you're room.”
 
“I…remember trying to open the window…but it wouldn't open, it was so stiff…and then I thought…you were still in the house…and….you…”
 
“Tohru…if something like this ever happens again, promise you won't…you won't worry about me…and save yourself?” Kyo sighed but felt very warm inside to know that she really cared about him that much.
 
“I…I can't…I'm sorry but it's just a natural reaction.”
 
“Okay…you can worry about me but first, worry about yourself…okay?”
 
“Oh….uhh….ok….” Tohru wasn't fully convinced that she will actually do that in an act of emergency but agreed anyway.
 
“So umm…how's you're arm? I know…you're hurt it because of me…and…”
 
“It's not you're fault, it was that damn tree…umm…yea, my arms fine…” Kyo answered.
 
“Oh well, that's good…because I was thinking…once we are allowed to leave the hospital and when you're arm has recovered…maybe we could do it again?” Tohru started to turn pink.
 
“Do what?”
 
“Umm…go out…maybe not a picnic but this time we could try something new….”
 
“Right….sure…ok…I guess.” Kyo found this moment extremely awkward. `Wait a minute, is she asking me out on a date?' He asked himself inside his head while also blushing.
 
“Great….oh and Kyo?”
 
“Hmm?”
 
“I'm hungry.”
 
“Oh…we'll call them up and get some breakfast.” Kyo grinned at her.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------
 
`sound of door knocking'
 
“Hurry up and come in already, just tell me the news and make it fast.”
 
“Excuse me master…but I'm afraid to say that our plan failed.”
 
“WHAT? Do you know how damn long it took to pick the perfect moment to start a fire with only Kyo and that Tohru in the house….don't come here and say that my plan failed after all my hard work!”
 
“…..”
 
“How did it fail? Tell me now!”
“Umm…Kyo managed to save Tohru…they both survived with minor injuries, they're at the hospital now.”
 
“It's not possible, this is ridiculous…. Are you lying to me?”
 
“No, my apologies master but I would never lie to you…It's true, maybe we should try something else next time, there is always another way….”
“Forget it, I'm not in the mood to think about this right now, get out!”
 
“Yes master….Akito.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------
 
A/N: One word…evil guy! (Wait a minute…that's two words)

Thanks for reading and whoever agrees with me…(here comes the usual words of plead)… Review please! (All people that are irritated with Akito right now in this story come as one, release you're anger and unite in this…well… page….haha)

….

Don't worry, I'm not that scary, review if you like, don't review if you don't wanna…just hope you enjoyed reading this story.

Lol… + Angelite Phoenix