Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Ebony and Ivory ❯ Prologue

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Fruits Basket, because Natsuki Takaya owns Fruits Basket, and I, unfortunately, am not her.
 
AN: I have probably succeeded in confusing anybody who was faithfully reading my story, so I will provide an explanation. A friend suggested that putting in a teaser first would catch more attention, and make the story more interesting. So here is your teaser. ;-)
 
 
PROLOGUE
 
Yuki still felt dazed upon leaving the Main House. He thought about the piano. He would have to leave a note for Saito-sensei. And he wouldn't be able to go back and get his pieces. Too risky. Besides, what would he do with them, if he could no longer play? He began to word his letter in his head. It should be short, simple, and to the point. Dear Saito-sensei, I got caught. I'm sorry. Please do not come looking for me. I'll never forget you. Goodbye. Yuki sighed. He blinked his eyes. He wouldn't let himself cry. All he could do was hope that Saito-sensei really would not come after him. Maybe he should make it firmer, perhaps give him some hint as to how serious the situation was. And he would have to find some way to explain it to… no, he would not think of Kyo. He wouldn't.
 
“Hey,” said a voice. Yuki looked up. Kyo was walking from a side direction, coming back to the corner where they had parted on the walk here.
 
Yuki stood still, letting him catch up. Kyo had never done anything like this before. Never had he done something that so obviously said, “You matter to me.” Yuki pressed his lips together. It's all a dream. It's all a dream and I'll wake up soon. This can't really be happening. “Hi, Kyo.”
 
Kyo fell into step beside Yuki. He said nothing. What was there to say? After about fifteen minutes, he looked at Yuki. “You know, I still owe you for takoyaki.”
 
Yuki closed his eyes for a moment, and shook his head. “I'm not hungry.”
 
Kyo nodded. “Okay.”
 
They walked the rest of the way in silence. At last they arrived at home.
 
“Welcome back,” Tohru said, offering a tentative smile. “Was it… okay?”
 
Yuki managed to smile at her. “I just need to be alone for a little while,” he said softly, then went up to his room. He heard Tohru's voice down below.
 
“Is he okay?”
 
“I don't know,” Kyo replied.
 
“You didn't ask?”
 
“No. Why would I?”
 
“Um… yes. I'm sorry.”
 
“You don't need to apologize. It's just… Akito's one of those things you don't ask about.”
 
“Okay.”
 
Yuki closed the door of his room. What to do about Kyo? He collapsed on his bed and lay back. He wouldn't think about the implications of this. He wouldn't think about how much he would be hurting Kyo. He wouldn't think about how much it would hurt to lose Kyo. He had a mission. He had a month to convince Kyo that there was no longer any friendship between them, or Kyo would be in a living hell for the rest of his life.
 
Now, how to implement this. It would have to be gradual, or Kyo would suspect something. And it would have to make some sort of sense. He would have to pick something that bothered him, and blow it out of proportion. He would have to do things to get Kyo mad at him. He couldn't go too fast, but going to slow was even more dangerous, because then Kyo might not be ready in time. His prime goal right now was to get Kyo ready for his meeting in a month. That was all that mattered.