Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Ebony and Ivory ❯ Curiosity ( Chapter 11 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Fruits Basket, because if I did I would make more of it into anime. Natsuki Takaya owns Fruits Basket.
 
AN: I'm so sorry this took me so long! My internet connection broke and I couldn't get on for days.
 
AN 2: You might be starting to see a pattern with Yuki having things figured out by Sunday night. Keep in mind what happens Sunday afternoon. ;-) You see, Saito-san is still an active participant. He's just temporarily working behind the scenes.
 
 
CHAPTER 11: Curiosity
 
Kyo waited impatiently for an answer about the piano, and tried hard not to snap at Yuki in the meantime. But it wasn't until Sunday night that anything happened. Kyo was in his room, studying, when he suddenly heard something papery slide under his door. He jumped from his chair, desperate for any distraction. He picked up the note, and read:
 
Meet me at my garden.—Yuki
 
Kyo paused, not really wanting to give into the rat's assumption that he was at his beck and call. But then, if Yuki was making a secret meeting, it was maybe about the piano, so… Kyo glanced at his homework, rolled his eyes, then nonchalantly walked out of his room and downstairs. No matter what Yuki wanted, it was better than homework. He put on his shoes and walked out the door.
 
Yuki was already at his garden, and looked up as Kyo approached. A few wild rats scattered. “What's up?” Kyo asked.
 
“Sit down.”
 
Kyo did so. Yuki wasn't looking at him. “Is this about the piano?” he asked.
 
Yuki nodded. “Do you still want to come and listen?”
 
Kyo paused, then slowly nodded. “Yes.”
 
Yuki turned to him now. The expression on the rat's face was strange. Gone was the strong, icy mask. He looked almost… vulnerable. “Do you really like it?”
 
“Yes.”
 
Yuki still looked closely at him. “Do you really hate me?”
 
Kyo blinked at the suddenness of the question, and was surprised to find himself hesitating before saying, “Yes. Of course.”
 
Some of the ice crept back over Yuki's face. It was creepy to watch. “I don't understand,” he said. “If you hate me, why do you like my music?”
 
Kyo thought for a moment. “Well, I don't need to hate everything about you to hate you. Just like I don't need to like everything about someone to like them. I hate Shishou's cooking.”
 
Yuki looked confused, and he smirked a little. “Then what's the difference?” he asked. “Is liking someone determined by whether the things you like outweigh the things you hate? What happens if the balance is upset?”
 
Kyo hadn't really thought of this. What did make him like someone? “I… don't know. I guess I just kind of… decide.”
 
“So you've decided that you hate me.”
 
“I guess. But I can still like your music.”
 
“So you just want to use me?” Yuki asked. He sounded kind of like Akito. His face was icy again, hard. Kyo suddenly wished he could reach out and peel off the mask. It was disturbing. Kyo thought about the question. It did sound bad, the way Yuki said it. Technically, he was using Yuki. But it didn't really feel like that exactly.
 
Kyo sighed, and looked away. “Why are you… getting all weird and stuff?” he asked at last. “I just want to listen. That's all.”
 
“I can make you a cassette.”
 
Kyo glanced up, shocked at the offer. But that wasn't… exactly what he wanted. “But I want to watch too.”
 
“Why?”
 
“I… I don't know. Geez, you damn rat, why do you keep interrogating me like this?”
 
Yuki didn't respond, and looked away. After a few minutes, he shivered. Kyo quickly glanced at his face, but Yuki kept it in the shadows. “You can come,” he said at last quietly.
 
Kyo blinked. “What?”
 
“You can come and listen next time. Just be where I can see you, and don't ever fight with me or tease me while we're there, okay?” His voice sounded small, like all of his defenses had been dropped.
 
Kyo hesitated for a moment, then nodded. “Okay. But… why are you letting me?”
 
Yuki shrugged. “I just am.” He stood up. “We'll meet at the street corner by the temple on Wednesday. You'll see me leave. Wait about fifteen minutes.”
 
“Okay.”
 
“Goodnight.” Yuki walked back. Kyo stayed for a few minutes, thinking, then followed. This was probably the weirdest and most normal conversation he had ever had with Yuki. He had never been so tantalized in his entire life. He felt like he had a mystery to solve. The case of the icy mask and the secret piano. Not to mention the odd behavior.
 
Gosh, wouldn't Haru get a kick out of knowing Kyo was thinking like this. He'd never let him live it down. But this was important, Kyo reasoned. After all, mysterious as he was, Yuki was still his worst enemy. And it was important to know one's enemy. That was what all the books said, right? So he had to unravel all this oddness, and maybe he'd end up with a way to finally beat Yuki!
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 
Kyo approached the corner hesitantly, until he saw Yuki leaning against a lamppost. He stepped up quickly. “Hi.”
 
Yuki looked up. “Hi. I didn't know if you'd come.” His voice was quiet.
 
“You said I could.”
 
“Yes.” Yuki stood for a moment, not looking at Kyo or anything.
 
“Um…”
 
Yuki pressed his lips together. Why did he look so… so… scared? He looked scared! “It's not like… you haven't already heard me play,” he said after a moment.
 
Kyo stared at him, confused. “Yeah, so?”
 
“I'm not… all that good, you know. I make mistakes and… a lot of it is making stuff up as I go. It's not like… like…”
 
Kyo blinked a few times. “You're being really weird.”
 
Yuki looked away, looking almost angry, but not really. Then he stopped leaning on the post and walked on ahead. “Come on.”
 
Kyo suddenly felt guilty, like he was intruding on something. But the rat had said he could come, right? Yuki wasn't… going to be mad at him for this, right? Not that he cared or anything, but… that would be pretty damn awkward.
 
Kyo sat down in the far back of the temple. “You don't have to do that,” Yuki said, walking up to the piano. “I'm not going to hurt you.”
 
“I'm fine here,” Kyo said firmly.
 
Yuki took some papers out of the piano bench, and looked over them for a minute or two. He finally selected one, and began to play. But he kept stopping, and then starting again, like he was making mistakes. He took down the piece of music. Kyo stepped a little closer, wondering what was up. The paper in Yuki's hand was shaking. He quickly put it in his lap when he saw Kyo.
 
“Yuki, are you okay?” Yuki didn't respond, and didn't look at him. “Just pretend I'm not here,” Kyo said, exasperated. “I like your music. It's not like I'm going to care if you make mistakes or whatever.”
 
Yuki gave a short sigh, and then began to play, looking almost defiant. The music came instantly to life, and Kyo sat down in surprise. Yuki's hands were still shaking a little, but he was playing. And after a few minutes of this, he closed his eyes, relaxed, and was back to his old self—at least, his piano self.
 
Kyo watched as he went through piece after piece, playing some fluently, working through some, marking others. From time to time, he glanced at Kyo, but never said anything. At last, he stopped, and shook his head a little. “I'm finished,” he said quietly. “You can go home first if you want.”
 
Dismissed. Just like that. Hardly a word spoken. Kyo felt almost… disappointed, though he didn't know why, or for what he had hoped.
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 
The following few days were fairly uneventful. Kyo was almost afraid to approach Yuki, and didn't even argue with him. He spent most of his time on the roof, until Sunday night.
 
“Kyo.” Yuki's voice startled him, and he sat up instantly.
 
“What are you doing here?!” Kyo asked, alarmed.
 
“You said I could come up to the roof,” Yuki replied nonchalantly, climbing up. “Why are you acting so weird lately?”
 
Kyo stared. “Me?! I'm acting weird?”
 
“Yes. You haven't fought with me or told me you hated me in more than three days. Are you sick?”
 
“N-no. It's just because I don't know how to deal with all of your damn weirdness!” Kyo folded his arms and looked away.
 
“All of my damn weirdness,” Yuki repeated thoughtfully. “Are you talking about Wednesday?”
 
“Damn right I am.”
 
“I let you come.”
 
“Yeah, but you acted all weird, like I was… violating your privacy or something.”
 
Yuki gave a short, mirthless laugh. “What did you think you were doing, stupid cat?”
 
Kyo arched his eyebrows. “I was violating your privacy?”
 
“Of course you were violating my privacy. I told you, I don't play in front of people.”
 
“Then why'd you let me come, if you didn't want me there?”
 
“I didn't say I didn't want you there.”
 
Kyo turned to him with a start and stared. “You do want me there?”
 
Yuki smiled a little. “I didn't say that either.”
 
Kyo sighed hard. “Why did you me come?” he asked.
 
Yuki cocked his head slightly, and looked as though the answer should be obvious.
 
“Why?!” Kyo asked again.
 
“Because you wanted to,” Yuki replied. He stood up, and headed toward the ladder. “If you liked it last time, you can come again.” He smiled at Kyo, a quiet smile. A smile that sent shivers down Kyo's spine, not because it was cold… but because it was warm. He sat in silence as Yuki climbed down the ladder and finally lay back.
 
`Because you wanted to.' What the hell was that? Why would Yuki want to do what Kyo wanted? Was he just… trying to be nice? Kyo sat up and put his forehead in one of his hands. That couldn't be it! What else had Yuki said? Oh… that Kyo could come next time. Would it be just the same? Kyo… had liked it last time, sort of, even if it had been really awkward. And… he did want to come again. But was it safe? Kyo scoffed. Safe from what? He sighed a little. What did it matter? No matter what danger there was, his curiosity would draw him to the piano like moth to a lamp. Unfortunately, Yuki seemed to know this too.
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 
On Wednesday, Yuki was at the lamppost again, and he turned as Kyo approached. “Hi.” He didn't look upset. “I guess you liked it last time.”
 
Something in Yuki's tone made Kyo feel a little awkward, but he nodded slightly. “You don't want me here, do you?” he asked at last.
 
Yuki leaned back against the post. “It's more complicated than that,” he said at last. Then he straightened himself and shrugged. “Coming?”
 
“Wait, you damn rat,” Kyo said, catching up. “Do you not want me here? Because I'd rather not sit there the whole time and wonder if you're mad at me.”
 
“I'm not mad at you,” Yuki replied. “I said you could listen.”
 
“Why, though? And don't just say because I want to, `cause that's not an answer.”
 
Yuki was quiet for a moment, then shrugged again. By now they were inside, and Yuki walked up to the piano. This was so awkward. Why did Kyo have to be where Yuki could see him? Yuki didn't even want to see him there. Kyo backed up against a corner, wondering whether this was really worth all the stress it was causing. But then Yuki began to play and he forgot about it. He tried to figure out what exactly it was about the piano that he liked so much. He decided it was the mystery of it. He was hearing something no one ever got to hear.
 
Kyo blinked at this thought, suddenly fully aware of the fact that he was the only member of the Sohma family allowed to hear Yuki play the piano. He looked up at Yuki in surprise, but Yuki wasn't looking at him. Why was the rat letting him listen? He didn't get it. If Yuki hated him, which he certainly did, there was no reason to let Kyo listen. Was it to make him dependent on it? Was it to mess with his head? There had to be some reason that only Kyo had been allowed to listen. Was it because only he knew about it? Kyo sighed, confused.
 
Yuki finished his song and turned to Kyo. “Something wrong?”
 
“Just wish you'd stop dodging questions is all.”
 
“I told you, I'll answer your questions once you've answered mine.”
 
“That's not fair! I have more than you!”
 
“Do you?”
 
“Of course!”
 
“I think you're asking me the exact same thing I asked you.”
 
“Look, you… this is ridiculous. How do I know you're not letting me listen to set me up or something?”
 
“How do I know you don't want to listen in order to trap me?” Yuki replied.
 
“So you don't trust me?”
 
“Should I?” Yuki cocked his head. “Do you trust me?”
 
Kyo folded his arms, shivering a little. “Damn rat, will you stop getting so complicated?”
 
Yuki stood up and walked over and sat next to Kyo. Kyo backed against the wall, startled. “Don't you like complexities?” the rat asked, in an impish tone that made Kyo extremely nervous.
 
“Wh-what?”
 
“If you wanted simple, you could go to a record store.”
 
What was that, the rat's version of “get out of the oven if you can't stand the heat”? Was he testing Kyo? Kyo opened his mouth to respond, but Yuki stood up and went back to the piano and sat down. “You're just curious,” the rat stated, and began to play again.
 
Kyo stared, then straightened himself. “So what if I am?” he grumbled.
 
Yuki smiled a little. “There's nothing wrong with that,” he said calmly, not interrupting his playing. “I'm curious too. Why would the cat want to spend so much time with the rat?” He stopped playing. “To get knowledge of habits, maybe, to make catching more convenient?” He played for another moment. “Or ideas for traps?” He began to play again, while saying, “Or maybe, you just want to make the hole bigger. Big enough so you can crawl through… and pounce!” Kyo jumped. Yuki had actually put the pounce into his music. Now he turned to Kyo, hugging one of his knees and letting the other leg hang down. “So, am I right?”
 
Kyo blinked a few times. What the hell was the damn rat doing? “I… don't know.” He paused. “But… that was cool. Will you do it again?”
 
A slow grin spread across Yuki's face, and he began to play a song that sounded for all the world like a game of cat and mouse. Kyo found himself stepping closer just to watch the great leaps Yuki was making, and the great chases across the piano. He found himself smiling, until at last the song ended, with what sounded like a mouse scurrying into a hole.
 
“What's that called?” Kyo asked, looking for the music.
 
Yuki shrugged. “I don't know. I just made it up.”
 
Kyo blinked, and looked back at him. “Just now?”
 
“Yeah. You can name it if you want.”
 
“Um…” Yuki had just written a song for Kyo? On the spot? He shrugged a little. “Cat and mouse?”
 
“Sounds good. If you want, I'll write it down when I'm next at Saito-sensei's.”
 
Kyo shrugged. “You can do whatever.”
 
Yuki smiled at him, teasingly. “Okay. I won't write it down.”
 
Kyo folded his arms. “Well I didn't say you shouldn't.”
 
Yuki smiled again, and took out a piece of notebook paper from a binder he had, and made a few notes. “There, that's the essentials. It won't ever be the same twice, though—not a song like that.”
 
“Yuki…” Kyo paused, trying to think what to say. Yuki looked up at him. “Do you… like having me here?”
 
“Of course not,” Yuki replied in a carefully neutral tone. “It's a dreadful inconvenience. I can never get any of my homework done because I'm making up songs about mouse chases.”
 
Kyo scrutinized his face for a moment. “Are you joking?”
 
Yuki shrugged. “Maybe. Maybe not.”
 
Kyo was practically twitching with curiosity. “You're teasing me,” he suddenly whined.
 
Yuki laughed. “And you're whining. You sound like Momiji.”
 
Kyo blinked. He'd never heard Yuki laugh before. “Shut… shut the hell up!” he yelled, folding his arms.
 
“And now you look like Hiro,” Yuki said, looking back at his music.
 
Kyo growled. “You damn rat, I'm going to—”
 
“Ah-ah-ah,” Yuki said, turning and waving a warning finger. “You promised. No fighting while we're here.”
 
Kyo froze in mid attack. “But—!” he gasped.
 
“A promise is a promise,” Yuki said with an evil smile.
 
“That's not fair!” Yuki got to tease him mercilessly and he couldn't even fight back? Damn it all!
 
“`All's fair in love and war',” Yuki quoted.
 
Kyo blinked. “So what, is this your way of declaring war?”
 
Yuki smiled cheekily. “What do you think?”
 
Kyo folded his arms again, annoyed at being played with, and more annoyed at not being allowed to start a fight over it because of that stupid agreement. “I think you're a damn, cold-hearted, stubborn, manipulative rat,” he growled.
 
Yuki laughed. “Be that as it may,” he said sweetly, “Would you care to listen some more, or would you rather stand glowering at me, stupid cat?”
 
 
 
 
AN 3: It's the evil Yuki! Or at least the slightly scary Yuki. There's this one part in the first episode of the anime where he calls the rats to help him dig out Tohru's stuff from the landslide, and he has this mysterious smile on his face and his eyes are glowing. I was kind of seeing that look here. Yuki's having fun tormenting the poor kitty. I just hope he doesn't drive him insane before they can become friends…