Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Ebony and Ivory ❯ Obvious ( Chapter 15 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Fruits Basket, because I am right-handed, and Natsuki Takaya, who does own Fruits Basket, is left-handed. :-P
 
AN: Have I mentioned yet that one of the things I find endearing about Kyo is that he's incredibly dense when it comes to figuring out that someone cares about him? By the way, you might be surprised at how nice these two are acting toward each other. Keep in mind that the piano thing has been going on for almost three months, and they've actually gotten to know each other pretty well. And for the record, Kyo hasn't acted like he hates Yuki in at least six weeks.
 
AN 2: Oh, wow. I think this is my first one-scene chapter. It's a really long one, too. Well, enjoy! Sorry it took me so long to update. My job has been terrible lately, and I haven't been able to think straight.
 
AN 3: By the way, for anyone who doesn't know, Kyo's father is about as cruel to him as Akito, if not more so.
 
 
CHAPTER 15: Obvious
 
“Yuki, when school starts up again, can we still come here as often?” Kyo asked when Yuki had finished playing the piece he was working on. It was the second to the last Wednesday before summer break was over.
 
Yuki gave him an amused smile. “Of course not. We'll have school.”
 
Kyo sighed a little. “Well yeah, but…”
 
“We'll come once a week, like we did before when we had school.”
 
“Promise?”
 
Yuki laughed. “Of course.” He was about to start playing again, but then turned back to Kyo. “Hey, I've been wondering. Would you like to learn to play something?”
 
Kyo's eyes widened, and he blinked in surprise. “Me?”
 
“Sure. I mean, you always seem really interested when I play, so…” He shrugged.
 
“But… I don't know anything.”
 
“Then here, I'll teach you.” Kyo slowly rose to his feet. Yuki smiled encouragingly. “Come on.” He moved over on the bench, and patted the seat beside him.
 
Kyo hesitated for a second, but then down, feeling a little awkward. Yuki'd never done anything like this before. “Okay, so… what do I do?”
 
“Um… you're right-handed, right?”
 
“Yeah.”
 
“Okay, you probably only need your right hand. This is an American song—it's called “Heart and Soul”—and it's a duet. I heard about it, and wanted to play it with someone—and I thought about asking Saito-sensei, but I thought I'd see if you were interested first, since it's fairly simple.”
 
Kyo raised his eyebrows, shocked that he was Yuki's first choice, but he tentatively nodded. “If you really think I can.”
 
“Of course. Here, start here. Watch how I play it.” He reached partly over Kyo and played about two thirds up the piano. He played it very slowly, and Kyo carefully kept track of the keys. “Okay, now you try.”
 
Kyo tentatively found the note Yuki had started on, glad he had a good ear for tunes, if nothing else. He played each note with his index finger, searching in places, until he heard Yuki give a small laugh, but not an unkind one.
 
“Kyo, you play it like you're playing chopsticks,” he said with a smile. “You use all your fingers, not just your index, see?” He played the tune again. “It's also easier to remember the notes that way.”
 
Kyo sighed a little, frustrated, and tried again. He tried to imitate what Yuki had done, but his notes blurred into each other, while Yuki's had been sharp and distinct. He sighed again, angrily. “I can't do this!”
 
“Yes you can,” Yuki replied calmly. “Don't get discouraged on your first try. I forgot it takes time to get the coordination into your fingers.” He paused for a moment. “Oh, I know. Put your hand back up.”
 
Kyo reluctantly obeyed, and was startled when Yuki placed his hand over Kyo's, matching finger for finger. “Um… what are you doing?”
 
“Just relax. Rest your fingers on top of the keys. Make your palm like this,” Yuki said, cupping his hand slightly over Kyo's. Feeling very strange, Kyo cupped his palm until it touched Yuki's.
 
“Why does it have to be like that?”
 
“It keeps the notes from blending. You're only supposed to play with the tips of your fingers.”
 
“Okay…” Kyo felt a bit uneasy. He could only imagine what that damn perverted dog would say if he saw them like this.
 
“Am I making you nervous?” Yuki asked suddenly. “You're all tense.”
 
“Um… no, that's… okay,” Kyo stammered. He relaxed a little. Shigure wasn't here, and all the damn rat was doing was showing him how to play.
 
“Alright, keep your fingers touching mine. It goes like this.” He pressed down on Kyo's fingers, making him play the notes the right way. So that was why he was doing the weird hand thing! Kyo sighed with relief. One never knew what the rat was thinking these days. All the same, it was nice to see that Yuki had no qualms about touching him. The rest of the family—Kagura and Shishou being exceptions—seemed to have an aversion to him, even the non-zodiac. Even the ones who didn't know about his true form. Not that he blamed them.
 
“Did I lose you?” Yuki asked, looking around to look his cousin in the eye.
 
Kyo jumped slightly and looked at him. “Huh?”
 
Yuki smiled curiously, raising his eyebrows a little. “You just started staring at my hand…”
 
“Wha… no I wasn't! I was just… thinking,” Kyo stammered, looking away to hide his embarrassment.
 
Yuki laughed. “Shall we start over, then?”
 
“Fine, whatever.”
 
Yuki had Kyo play a few notes, then made him move his hand a little in mid-tune, to play a few more that would have been too high to reach. “Here you cross over,” Yuki said. “Bring your little finger over the thumb…” Kyo did so with difficulty, and Yuki met his hand again. “And then you finish like this,” Yuki said at last, releasing Kyo's hand. “And then you can just repeat it. Get it?”
 
“More or less,” Kyo replied, still feeling just a bit dazed.
 
“Okay, try it on your own.”
 
Yuki spent nearly half an hour coaching him, but by the end he could almost play it. It was hard, but it was exciting. “Was it like this when you first started playing?” Kyo asked after a while.
 
“Sort of. I started with a lot more basic stuff,” Yuki replied. “Like scales and things. That's why you were having a hard time, since you don't have that background. You learn fast, though. Ever thought about learning to play?”
 
Kyo shrugged. “Not really. But I mean, I've been watching you for months. I would hope I'd pick up on something.”
 
“Has it really been that long?” Yuki asked. He smiled. “It's been a lot of fun, ne? Spending time together over the summer, with the piano.”
 
“Um…” Kyo hesitated. He hadn't really thought of it that way. “I… guess so.”
 
“I'm looking forward to school, though,” Yuki added, beginning to fold his pieces.
 
“Hey! Why are you…?”
 
“Kyo, we've been here for almost two hours,” Yuki said. He smiled. “It's easy to lose track of time.” He stood up. “You need to get up, so I can put these away.”
 
Kyo sighed a little. “Oh, all right.” He stood up. “Are you walking back with me?”
 
“Sure. Just give me a minute.” Yuki closed the piano and joined him.
 
They chatted for a while, casually, but Kyo couldn't get Yuki's words out of his head. Yuki had never so blatantly said that he thought spending time with Kyo was fun. How weird! Tohru said things like that, but coming from Yuki it was somehow more… real. Why did the rat like spending time with him so much? He was the cat, after all. Not that that seemed to matter to Yuki… which in itself was pretty amazing… but still…
 
“Why so quiet?” Yuki asked him as they approached the forest.
 
“Just… thinking,” Kyo replied after a moment. He was so lost in thought that he almost didn't notice the car at the edge of the woods. When he did, he wanted to scream. “Damn it,” he hissed.
 
“What?” Yuki asked, coming up to him.
 
“It's my dad,” Kyo growled. “That's his car.”
 
Yuki said nothing for a moment. Then he took Kyo's arm, and turned him around.
 
“H-hey… what are you…?” Kyo stammered, pulling away.
 
Yuki smiled. “I'm kidnapping you.”
 
“What?!”
 
“We're going out for sea food.”
 
“What the hell are you talking about?”
 
Yuki looked at him and shrugged. “Sorry. I must have misunderstood. Of course I can't take away from the precious time you would spend with your dad.”
 
Kyo scoffed. “As if.”
 
“Okay, so whose company do you prefer? His or mine?”
 
Kyo didn't even bother trying to lie. “Well that's pretty obvious.”
 
Yuki smiled. “Well, then? Shall we?”
 
“I don't have any money.”
 
“That's okay. I do.”
 
“I'll pay you back.”
 
“You don't have to. My treat.” By now they were walking in the opposite direction. Yuki put his arm around Kyo's shoulders, lightly. Kyo shivered, but felt himself smiling. He hadn't ever had anyone do something like this for him.
 
“Thanks,” he said, slightly awkwardly
 
“Anytime.” He lightly conked Kyo on the head. “But you owe me one. Like if it's nii-san or something.”
 
Kyo snorted. “If it's Ayame, I'd be more than happy to get away.”
 
Yuki laughed. “Yeah, well. I'm not crazy about your dad.”
 
“But we'd have to take Tohru, if it's Ayame.”
 
“Oh no! Do you think she'll be all right?”
 
“I wouldn't worry about it. If we go back, we won't be able to get away, and she'd get more upset hearing him tear me up like that. And he's usually pretty civil to most people, `cept me and Shishou. Besides, Shigure's there.”
 
“True.”
 
“I'll probably get in trouble,” Kyo said. He shrugged. “But for some reason, I don't really care.”
 
They found a takeout sea food restaurant and ordered takoyaki. Neither wanted to stay inside, so they ate it at a nearby park.
 
“It's a nice night,” Yuki commented.
 
Kyo looked around. “Do you know what park we're at?”
 
“No. But it's okay. I can find the way back easily.”
 
“How?”
 
“I mentally map everything. It's almost unconscious.”
 
“Really?”
 
“Well think about it, Kyo. Rats, mazes…”
 
“Oh,” Kyo said, smiling. “That's cool.”
 
“I guess. I'm not as good at following directions forward, though. I just never get lost to where I can't trace my way back.”
 
“Still, it's got to be a useful skill.” They fell silent for a moment, and finished eating. Then they walked about for a while longer. Suddenly, Kyo spotted something. There was a small gazebo, in which sat a grand piano. “Ne, Yuki,” he said, pointing.
 
Yuki looked. “That's a nice place to have a piano,” he said, sounding overly casual. He started to walk on.
 
“Hey wait. Play something.”
 
Yuki looked embarrassed. “Kyo, not out in public.”
 
“Why not? It's not like there's anyone around.”
 
“There are a couple people.”
 
“So what?”
 
“No, I don't want to.”
 
“Please?” Kyo begged. He put a hand on Yuki's shoulder. “For me?”
 
Yuki laughed. “Is that a joke?” He looked away. “You already heard me play today.”
 
“Yeah, but not on a grand. The only grand piano you play is at Saito-san's house, and you never let me go with you there. And besides, you weren't playing the whole time `cause you were helping me with that weird American duet.”
 
“Kyo…”
 
“Come on, you know you want to.”
 
It was true. The piano was beautiful, and Yuki was obviously drawn to it. He looked at it for a minute. “Okay, okay,” he said at last. “But only for a minute.”
 
Kyo grinned, and practically dragged Yuki to the piano.
 
“Sheesh, you don't need to get violent,” Yuki said, smiling. He calmly sat down at the piano and began to play. Kyo opened the piano, remembering that he had seen someone do that once on TV. The music poured out into the night, and Kyo leaned against one of the pillars, listening.
 
After a few minutes, people began to stop and listen. Yuki was completely oblivious to them. Kyo would have thought Yuki had forgotten about him, but every so often, Yuki would look up and grin a little, like he was saying, “See? I'm doing it.” Finally, he slowed down and came to a stop. He jumped when people started clapping, and edged away from the piano and back to Kyo. “People are staring,” he whispered.
 
“Can you blame them?” Kyo asked. “You don't need to be so shy.”
 
Yuki shivered, and stepped away. Kyo followed.
 
“Yuki, it's okay. They're looking `cause they like you.”
 
“I don't want to be admired from afar,” Yuki said. “That's why I only play for friends. People who know more about me than just how I can play.”
 
Kyo thought about this for a moment. If Yuki only played for friends, and he played for Kyo, then… but no, Yuki was probably using the word in its most general sense, because he sounded casual about it. “Admired from afar?”
 
Yuki shrugged. “I don't like having a `fan club'. Especially since it means being mobbed on Valentine's Day.”
 
Kyo laughed, and they made their way home. Then he stopped at the beginning of the forest. The car was still there. Yuki put a hand on his shoulder, and he sighed. “I guess there's no more avoiding it,” he muttered, and they walked forward.
 
When they arrived at the house, Shigure came out. “Ah, Kyo-kun. You were with Yuki-kun?”
 
“Um… we met at the library and just came home together,” Kyo said, like that was the sort of thing he would naturally do.
 
“Oh. Well your father is here. We've been wondering where you were. I called Kazuma, and he said you weren't there.”
 
“None of your damn business!” Kyo growled. “And I know he's here.”
 
“He wants to speak with you.”
 
“Like hell he does! I'm going up to the roof!”
 
“No, you're not,” said a voice from the doorway. “Come here.” Kyo noticed Tohru behind his father. When she saw Kyo, she looked very worried. She edged past his father and came outside.
 
“Kyo-kun… I…”
 
“Yeah, I know. Sorry I wasn't here before.”
 
“No… I mean… It's probably a good thing… but Sohma-san says that he's spending the night.”
 
“What?!”
 
“After all, I didn't get to talk to you earlier,” Kyo's father said.
 
“What the hell?! Like you have anything to say to me that you haven't said already!”
 
“Yes, but I believe you need to be reminded.”
 
Kyo went inside, edging past the man. The others followed.
 
“I'm trying to figure out sleeping arrangements, Kyo-kun,” Shigure said. “You two weren't here, so I wasn't sure. There isn't room in my room for someone else… I'm afraid it isn't very clean.” Kyo silently accused Shigure of avoiding the problem. “So your father could share your room, unless you can think of a better arrangement.”
 
“Kyo could share my room,” Yuki said nonchalantly.
 
Kyo looked at Yuki, slightly irritated that he would make an offer that had potentially bizarre connotations. But he figured that Yuki was just trying to bail him out of a bad situation, and there wasn't really any other way for him to phrase it. And besides, any amount of ridicule was better than being with his father. “You wouldn't mind?” he asked at last.
 
“Not if you don't stay up too late.”
 
Shigure was staring. “Someone enlighten me. Who are you, and what have you done with Yuki and Kyo?”
 
“Wait a moment, don't I have a say in this?” Kyo's father asked, looking shocked.
 
“Not on this short notice,” Shigure replied. “I'm sorry. We'll have to make do.”
 
The man scowled at Kyo, and Kyo resisted the urge to smirk back. He could only imagine that the reason his father wanted to be in the same room with him was to have the opportunity to hurl insults at him all night long.
 
“Want to help me with the futons?” Yuki called from halfway up the stairs. Kyo followed. Shigure merely stared.
 
“I wonder if he's sick or something,” Kyo heard the dog say from the bottom of the stairs. Kyo smiled a little. A visit with his father was enough to make anyone sick.
 
“Thanks,” he told Yuki, once they were in Yuki's room.
 
“No problem.”
 
Kyo worked on the bed, and wondered again why Yuki was being so kind to him lately. What was it? At last, he shook his head, not really wanting to think this through. “Do you think Shigure's going to act all weird?”
 
“Hmm? Why would he? He knows you'd rather be anywhere than with your dad, even with me.”
 
“Yeah, but…”
 
“Under the circumstances, he probably won't tease very much. That's not to say he won't at all—this is Shigure we're talking about—but still. He should know better.”
 
“Should.”
 
Yuki smiled. “Don't worry about it. Here, straighten this out.”
 
“Yuki… I mean, you're not going to be treating me like this all the time, right?”
 
“Treating you like what?”
 
“Like… I don't know. Like you… care about me.”
 
Yuki looked confused. “I…” He paused.
 
“What?”
 
“Kyo, isn't it obvious? I do care about you.”
 
Kyo froze, nervous. “You mean…”
 
“I mean.”
 
Of course. It was obvious. That was why Yuki kept being nice. What had Kyo gotten himself into? And why wasn't this bothering him? “Well… well you don't need to act like it!”
 
“Why wouldn't I?”
 
“I… I don't know.” He frowned. “I'm going to… get my stuff, okay?”
 
“Okay.”
 
Kyo caught Yuki's thoughtful gaze behind him, and wondered why the rat didn't get it. He wasn't exactly sure what Yuki was supposed to get, but he knew he didn't get it. How they acted toward each other when Kyo listened to Yuki play was separate from home, and shouldn't be confused. Why was Yuki going and confusing them? Yes, he was grateful for the reprieve from his father, but he wished Yuki hadn't made it so… blatant. Yes, that was it. Yuki should have waited, and someone should have argued, and Yuki should have grudgingly said that if there was no choice, Kyo could stay in his room, but only if he would stay quiet. And he should have called Kyo “that stupid cat.”
 
Kyo gathered his stuff and came back. Yuki had finished laying out the bed, and was getting out his pajamas. “Kyo,” he said when he heard the cat walk in, “Do you think Shigure knows we go somewhere together?”
 
“Wha… of course not! He would have said something stupid about us being a couple or something. You know how he is.” Kyo felt hot at the very thought. Never, never would Shigure know about the piano thing in a hundred million years!
 
“Maybe,” Yuki replied thoughtfully. “But… I think he knows, for some reason. And he's not saying anything because he knows it needs to be kept secret, and the more he's in the dark the better. But he's too smart not to have figured it out by now. Honda-san probably hasn't, though.” He looked back at Kyo. “Something wrong?”
 
“Why'd you have to be all… obvious and stuff?”
 
“I beg your pardon?”
 
“Well I mean, you didn't even argue!”
 
“About what?” Yuki asked, looking confused.
 
“Me staying in your room.”
 
“Oh. I offered.”
 
“Exactly!”
 
“Why would I argue against something I offered?”
 
“You… just offered really quickly.”
 
Yuki looked annoyed. “Sorry. I was trying to help. What do you mean I offered too quickly?”
 
“You didn't think that was weird?”
 
“No.”
 
“But we hate each other!”
 
Yuki paused, and looked away. He looked confused, and hurt. “Really?” he asked, sounding almost vulnerable. “Do you still hate me, Kyo? I don't hate you.”
 
Kyo was shocked. He looked away for a second, and realized to his alarm that he didn't hate Yuki anymore either. That's not right! What happened? I have to hate him! I hate him! Yuki's slightly teasing smile from earlier came back to him. `I'm kidnapping you.' It had felt so good. But that didn't… mean anything, did it? If Kyo hated Yuki, would Yuki still let him come to the piano, and hang out with him? But why would Kyo want Yuki to hang out with him if he hated him? But he couldn't stop hating Yuki! What was wrong with him, to go and stop hating the damn rat? If he wasn't careful, he'd start liking him! He had to stop this now! “Of course I—” he started, then stopped. Yuki looked like he expected Kyo to stab him.
 
So much control. He could crush the rat if he wanted to. Why didn't he want to? Because I want… the piano. He wanted the piano, and the sparring, and… and the smiles. There's no sense in punishing myself to hurt Yuki. That's stupid. But still…
 
Kyo looked at Yuki, whose eyes were filled with barely stifled hope and fear. He felt like he was on the edge of a cliff. Hating Yuki was one of the foundations of his life, and now it was gone. What had happened? He closed his eyes, wondering whether he would even be able to get it back if he stopped this now. No matter how he searched himself, he couldn't even find a trace of his old hatred.
 
“Kyo,” Yuki said in a pleading tone, interrupting his thoughts. “Kyo, we've been having fun together, and… and tonight… you acted like…” Then he looked down, and his face slowly began to ice over—again.
 
“No, I…” Kyo started. “I…” So this was it. Yuki didn't want Kyo to hate him anymore. Suddenly Kyo understood all the comments, especially that conversation they'd had nearly two months ago, when Yuki said it didn't matter what he did, because Kyo would never change, and he had just ended up on the wrong side. He had been talking about Kyo hating him. Was that why he didn't want to be the rat? Kyo had hated him then, hadn't he? Hadn't he? But he had to say something! Now! Before Yuki put his mask back on and everything was over! “Well it's… pretty obvious that… I don't mind hanging out with you and everything, ne? I guess I wouldn't… do that if… if I hated you, ne? Just… calm down, you damn rat, and go to sleep, and quit being so complicated!”
 
Yuki looked a little relieved, but more uncertain. “So… you don't hate me?”
 
“What, you want me to spell it out for you?” Kyo grumbled, changing into his pajamas.
 
Yuki looked somewhat satisfied, and began to change as well. “Kyo, I'm not trying to hide the fact that I don't hate you.”
 
Kyo fell silent, pulled on his shirt, and lay down on his futon, pulling the other one over him. He closed his eyes.
 
“Kyo?”
 
“Just… leave me alone, okay? I'm tired.”
 
Yuki sighed, and climbed into bed. “Okay,” he said, with a `fine, be like that' tone. The light went out, and Kyo opened his eyes to stare blankly at the ceiling. “Goodnight,” Yuki said presently.
 
Kyo sighed a little. “`Night.”