Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Every Single One ❯ Planning and Questioning ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Ten: Planning and Questioning
 
A/N: I just want to say Merry Christmas and Happy New Years! ^.^ Also, I'm grateful for every reader and every reviewer that I have for this fic, so thank you. Finally, I just wanted to say that the chapters are going to get shorter because they will begin to deal with one central person or couple, so I should update quicker. Okay, now on to the story:
 
(-)-(-)
 
Tohru felt herself stretch as she woke up. The sun shone through the window in Hanajima's room and once Tohru realized this, she jumped up from where she slept with a start. Never had Tohru ever slept so late before in her life. At first Tohru was nervous and on the verge of panic, her mind raced as she tried to quickly get dressed and read. After this feat she walked down the stairs-ready to make breakfast, but found it already made and set on the table.
 
That was right; Tohru had learned that she didn't have to do everything for everyone. She learned she would have to try and not mother everyone, but mother herself instead. As Tohru sat down to eat her breakfast she thought, “That's why I'm going to confront Kyo today on if he remembers me…and set my plan into motion.” She now had her “determined” look etched upon her face. Hanajima felt a small smile as it made its way onto her face, for Tohru's waves were transformed into more of what they should have been all along.
 
Soon the food was eaten and Hana and Tohru had started on their way to school. The walk was a quiet one, after all, Hana wasn't one to go about with needless babble and she knew that Tohru wanted to be left alone…wanted to think. Hana accepted this and knew that Tohru needed this. Tohru would have to do something that she had never truly done before, which was to please herself rather than others.
 
That silence was broken by the voice of Uotani behind them, “Hey, why are you two so silent? Something bad happen?”
 
“Oh, Uo-chan! Nothing bad has happened, I was just thinking about the plan that Hana and I came up with to make the Sohma's remember me. But, how did everything go with Kureno-san? Is he okay?”
 
Arisa didn't answer right away; instead she caught up with Tohru and Hana until she walked along side them with her hands behind her head. “Kureno is doing well. Ya know, he had gotten stabbed in the back by that Head of House of theirs-Sohma Akito. I stayed by his side until that Hatori guy told me to go home around midnight-he drove me.” Here she stopped, which made both friends in front of her stop as well. Her eyes swept from Hana to Tohru, at which point, she kept her eyes locked, “Last night I realized how close I had been to loosing Kureno…I also realized that I love him and just how strong you are Tohru. So strong.” Uotani ended her little tale in a tone of amazement.
 
Tohru felt the normal response of denial start to form on her lips, but forced herself to stop. That was too much like her old self. So, instead, she said, “Strong, are you sure Uo-chan? I think…I'm just being overly stubborn…Nothing other than that.” Then she let herself give her two best friends a sad smile, “I'm glad that Kureno-san is okay.”
 
They all began to walk again and Tohru was in the lead. The silence returned for a few moments as the clouds that now filled the once clean sky all crept by gingerly and cast all three females in a pale grey light. “Mom always told me, that if I just stayed myself, then everything would work out in the end. For so long I thought…I thought I was following my Mom's advice so well, but-“Tohru spoke so softly, yet she continued down the road with her bag in hand, “I misunderstood my mother's words. Now, everything is such a mess and I know that it is partially my fault. I wasn't being my true self. This time, though, this second chance…I'm going to be my true self and just like my mother said…everything is going to work out in the end. I'm going to break the curse and I will tell Kyo how much I love him.” Her voice was so sure by the end of her speech that both Hana' and Uo's mouths gapped at her slightly. The Tohru they had known had slightly slipped away from them.
 
Yet, as that thought had pressed through their minds-Tohru had tripped over her two feet and landed on the ground with a sharp “thud”. For, no matter how much some things changed around them all, some things were unable to be changed. The three girls then found themselves surrounded in their own laughter.
 
The trio was now right outside the entrance of the school when Uo asked, “So, what plan did you and Hana come up with?”
 
Hana answered for Tohru, “Tohru-chan plans on getting Kyo to remember her and then use him to help her get all the cursed Sohma's together. Get them all together for one event in hopes of making all of their memories of her come back.” The subject was dropped as they made their way into the school building.
 
(-)-(-)
 
Yuki knew that he was in the Student Council. He also knew that he was the Student Council president. He was unable to recall any of the members or any of the times that the Student Council met, yet he felt as if he should be able to. Such thoughts brought great confusion upon Yuki's fragile mind.
 
As he opened the door to the Student Council room he was bombarded by two people-one male and one female. They both spoke at him in such a quick pace. They called him Yun-Yun and made him feel overwhelmed. The dark haired male that seemed to have him surrounded reminded him of Ayame. At this thought, Yuki felt his lungs start to act up.
 
His breaths came in short gasps and he felt as if his body was on the verge of being suffocated. Yuki couldn't deal with someone like Ayame and it was even worse because Yuki didn't remember who this boy was. The attack worsened as he felt his lungs tighten and his head become light headed. He had to get out of the room before he transformed, thus, Yuki felt around frantically for the door knob.
 
As his hand was stretched out behind him, Yuki felt someone take it. Even though Yuki, himself, was unaware of whom the hand belonged to-his heart was, for it skipped a beat. At the gentle touch, Yuki felt his head turn and the hand that had been trying to find something to grasp-fall limp. He found himself face to face with his own eyes. “Your eyes, Yuki, why aren't they clear?” He heard the girl whisper and he felt confusion rise up in his mind once again.
 
Eyes so dark and void of emotions, though the one's that stared at him held concern and worry hidden by a great deal of indifference. He blinked and then the eyes were no longer in front of him. With breaths still short and desperate he was just able to comprehend, “Yuki-kun doesn't seem well, Kakeru, I'm going to bring him home, there's no point to have the Student Council meet without the president.” Yuki noted on how even their voices were similar…Her voice was more real, though, more alive.
 
Around of agreement was met by these words and Yuki felt the girl help him get up. As he stood the ground seemed to have disappeared from right under his feet and the world spun around his body. Besides all this, he was led out of the door and into the empty hallway, for school had recently been let out.
 
“You need to sit, Yuki-kun, and catch your breath. I'm sorry about Kakeru, but you know how he is.” The girl then smiled-a true smile. It made her eyes sparkle and (just as he was settled in the way his breath being stable) made Yuki breathe catch. Her smile was so much like a smile he once knew, a smile that had once belonged to Honda Tohru. Yet, for some strange reason, Yuki felt himself drawn to this unknown girl more than her ever felt drawn to Honda Tohru.
 
For some reason…He felt as if…he loved her.
 
Why? He couldn't remember, but the more he thought about her as they, now, slowly walked down the hallway…Yuki could remember moments between him and her. He could even remember her name now-Machi.
 
“Machi?”
 
He watched her as she continued to walk. She showed no sign of acknowledgement at first, which made him, doubt some of the memory he had gained. “What do you want, Yuki?”
 
She had answered, thus, Yuki now knew that the memories he had were of Machi. All the awkward moments, all the confused moments, and that moment…that moment when he had kissed her. That moment when he had kissed her and said, “I love you, too.” It overpowered his senses and he felt as if he had to do something.
 
But what…what could he do? What should he do?
 
Everything in his mind told him not to do anything, almost as if he should just run away from the dilemma that he was presented with, but his heart knew this to be wrong. He had to face it head on…He had to tell Machi…about the curse.
 
As Yuki thought and debated all of this, he hadn't noticed that they had left the building. The sun was out now and it shone with such a fierce light. As the sun fell upon him, Yuki tried to build up the courage to tell her. When he looked inside himself-eyes closed and a slow pace-he saw a smile…A smile that belonged to Honda Tohru. He knew that all he had to do…was be himself and it would all work out in the end.
 
That thought brought on a surge of courage from, which, Yuki was able to say, “Machi, there's something that you need to know about me-before you say you love me again.”
 
She turned to look at him with innocent eyes and open ears. Thus, Yuki began his tale…
 
After the tale was long said and done, Machi held a small grey rat in the palm of her hand and her eyes held a glint that said, “I understand.”
 
“You're not disgusted by me?” Yuki spoke in his small rat form.
 
“No, I'm not disgusted by you. A rat-I've felt that I should turn into a rat at times. Plus, it's not as if I expected you to turn into a prince, no, far from it…” Her words trailed off and Machi fell quiet.
 
“But, you still can't love me, can you, Machi?” His voice was so broken. It had been right at that moment when Yuki transformed back into his human form and Machi quickly looked away.
 
Once Yuki was fully clothed again Machi decided to speak, “Your name means snow. Why must you let your heart stay so true to your namesake? Your hearts melted some from what I've heard and seen, but, let me melt the wall of snow that blocks off your emotions. Let me be…your candle of hope.”
 
The offer presented itself and Yuki felt himself reach out for it. His arms crept out and, just as they wrapped themselves around Machi, he felt a sharp pain run through his body. As he latched himself onto Machi he didn't notice that the normal transformation hadn't taken place. All Yuki saw was white hot pain as it prickled his skin and he felt as if his soul was being ripped in two. The only way he was able to dull the pain that coursed through him was by the images that flashed before his eyes. A slideshow of all the moments he ever spent with either Tohru or Machi.
 
His two candles that burned with hope.
 
Now Yuki truly knew that he was not alone. As the thought passed through his mind, the pain disappeared completely. All his body was left with was relief. As the relief washed over him he pulled Machi closer and then the realization hit him. He held her so close and…he held her in his arms. He was not a rat, but a human. The curse had lifted off his body.
 
He looked down at Machi, his eyes held surprise, but he brought his face closer to hers, “I love you, Machi. Do you love me after knowing the true me? You didn't answer before.”
 
“I do love you, Yuki! I do! I love you even more than before! I lo-” Machi's voice, so passionate and so frantic, was cut off by Yuki's lips. As his lips captured hers he felt himself pour every heartbroken emotion from his childhood spill into that one kiss. As their tongues melted into one another with perfect harmony, each explored the crevices of the other's mouth, Yuki felt all those same emotions that he had poured into Machi be sent right back-he knew that they would one day be able to heal each other. Be able to, one day; carry the pains that had lain dormant in them. The kiss broke.
 
Once their lips separated, Yuki kissed Machi's forehead and drew her closer to him. So close to him that he felt her heart beat against his own and the truth made itself clear…A real smile formed on his lips.
 
Machi had not fallen in love with the prince; instead, she had fallen in love with the awful and sneaky rat. He was pulled from his thoughts by Machi's voice, her eyes bored into his, “Your eyes, Yuki-your eyes are so clear now.”
 
(-)-(-)
 
The clouds had slowly drifted apart, which only let small slivers of the sun seep through. As Tohru walked away from the school, she felt the sun fall upon her and a smile graced her face.
 
“It's been so long…since I've see your smile, Tohru.” The voice belonged to Kyo and Tohru turned around to find herself face to face with him. Shocked brown met thoughtful red.
 
They continued to stare at each other until Tohru spoke, “Oh! Kyo-san, I didn't know-”
 
“Don't call me that…Tohru-chan. What did I tell you when I first met you? I don't like being called that, it makes me feel old. What happened to Kyo-kun or just plain Kyo?” His tone wasn't harsh like it had been for the past week; instead, it was soft and solemn. His voice was just as it had been before he had his memories of her erased.
 
He walked closer to her, or as close as the curse allowed it. He was so near her that she could feel his breath on her ear. “I remember everything…There's something that I'm going to need to tell you, but not yet…not yet. Right now, I just want to hold you.” Tohru now knew why he acted in such a way. He remembered everything and that meant…that meant that he remembered when he lost her to his cousin's own hand. He was afraid to let her go just as she was determined to not let him go.
 
Arms began to embrace her and Tohru wanted them to, but she wanted them to stay embraced around her. At first, Tohru didn't know what to do; yet, she thought quickly and brought her bag swiftly up to her chest. It had been just in time too, for Tohru felt as Kyo came in contact with the rather hard object; the added pressure on her chest was proof of that.
 
Soon Kyo surrounded her and she felt her mind float away from her. He had remembered her without any outside help, he held her in an embrace, and his eyes said, “I love you.” With both her mind and heart at ease, Tohru asked something that her former self never would have done, “Will you…go on a date with me, Kyo?”
 
Kyo's response was, “My precious, precious flower.” He said this as he placed a gentle kiss on the top of Tohru's head.
 
(-)-(-)
 
“What would your parents say?” The older man asked as he looked at the mysterious young women in front of him.
 
“Mother has always trusted me and she only wishes for my happiness. This makes me happy, so she should be fine. Plus, my family members already realize that I am different from other girls my age.” Her voice was soft and mature. The young girls body was covered in a lacy black outfit, for she had changed out of her school uniform before she came, and her eyes were dark, which added to the almost creepy aura that surrounded her.
 
“I see. I like you and would be honored to go through with this, but are you sure? You are still so young.” His voice was filled with an old wisdom, but that was something that made the girl fall deeper in love with him.
 
“I am sure.”
 
“Fine, then I gladly accept.”
 
Hanajima felt a smile come onto her face as she stared at the grey haired man that sat so formally across from her. The urge to kiss him came over her and by the man's electrical waves; she already knew that the urge would be fulfilled. Her last thought as she neared the man was, “I fear how Kyo's waves shall be once he hears of this.”
 
A ring glistened on her finger.
 
(-)-(-)
 
Shigure reflected upon the fact that he no longer had the curse; He had lost it at some point the previous night. He believed that it was when Akito admitted to him that she didn't hate him and that she longed for more than just his body. That she longed for his heart and his soul, as well. It had been at that point that images of a girl with large brown eyes and soft brown hair flashed before his eyes, he had know it was the girl whom was erased from his memories, for he did not know her name.
 
Not long after that Akito had fallen asleep-her naked body had rested against his own. So, he had gingerly dressed her and himself and then he had called Hatori. He took the facts and didn't ask any further questions, for, that was simply how Hatori was.
 
As he waited for Hatori, Shigure had known that he had Akito. That Akito was his and his alone. That he owned the goddess. He kept this thought to himself, even when Hatori had come to pick up Akito and tell him that the Main House was a mess and that Kureno was okay (though Shigure didn't really care about Kureno's state-of-being all that much).
 
Even though he was freed from the curse, Shigure didn't dare mention it to Akito. She would only act like a spoiled child and would tell him to leave just like everybody else did. To leave his goddess wasn't in his mind at the moment nor had it ever been nor will it ever be.
 
It was never a good thing when Akito got made. A devious smirk made its way on to Shigure's face. No, it was never a good thing, but he would not lie…the thought did arouse him. He let himself chuckle, “I guess she was right. We do both share a slightly twisted mind. Now, if only my mind would let me remember that plan I had made.” His chuckle died on his lips and his eyes darkened.
 
(-)-(-)
 
A/N: Well, there you go everyone! The newest installment in “Every Single One”, please tell me what you think of it in a review. : ) Well, here is a preview for the next chapter:
 
Chapter Eleven: Continuous Guilt
 
Hatori's thoughts on all the events that have taken place before, his thoughts on Kana and Mayu, Tohru, and the members of the Sohma family, also his pain on having the certain curse of memory removal.
 
I hope everyone is happy and healthy! Until next chapter…
 
~Lily~