Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Eye Of The Storm ❯ The New Girl ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer/ Author‘s Note: If I owned Fruits Basket I would not be spending time writing fan fiction based on it. This is a labor of love that I am not profiting from and the only thing I'm getting out of it is joy of writing. The only thing I claim in this fiction is a new main character introduced here; Keiko Yamada. Keiko is an original character of my very own creation and is mine and mine alone.


Eye of the Storm
By
Phoenix Hoshika

Chapter 1; The New Girl

“Hello, my name is Honda Tohru. For a couple of years I’ve been living with the Sohma family. Though I never regretted moving in with them it does get kind of lonely being the only girl in the home. Second, there is the matter of accidentally colliding into one of them and turning them into an animal from the Chinese zodiac legend. It sounds farfetched, I know but the three people I live with; Yuki, Shigure, and Kyou are all cursed with the vengeful spirits of the rat, dog, and cat. If someone of the opposite gender hugs them, or in my case bumps into one of them, they transform.
Well, as I was saying it can get little lonely being the only girl here. Sometimes their female relatives stop by but I find myself wishing that there was someone else here with me. It sounds pretty selfish of me to want more than the great home and new family I’ve come to care about so much, so I keep this to myself. I don’t even tell my best friends Uo and Hana how I feel. They shouldn’t have to worry about me because truthfully overall I’m happy living here.

~*~

Monday morning, the sky is clear and the sun is shining bright. Tohru stands out on the second floor ledge of Shigure’s house looking up at the clear morning sky with a smile.
“Tohrukun, your going to be late for your on the first day of your last year in high school.” Shigure calls out from the downstairs. Tohru gasps looking at her watch and runs downs the stairs.
“I’m so sorry.” She says bowing to Yuki and Kyou.
“It’s okay.” Yuki says with smile.”
“Yeah, don’t worry about it, we have plenty of time to get to school.” Kyou added. Tohru just smiled and went out the door with her two companions.

When they got to the building they were greeted by Hatsuharu and Momiji, two of Kyou and Yuki’s relatives. Hatsuharu and Momiji too are cursed with animal spirits. Momiji turns into a bunny and Hatsuharu turns into an ox (cow). In addition to being cursed the ox’s spirit Hatsuharu developed a split personality at a very young age. The two personalities are so different they are like night and day and the Sohma family has come to refer to the two personalities as black Haru and white Haru.
“Hey, Yuki! Kyou!” Momiji shouted waving to his two cousins in his usual cheery manner. “Hi, Tohru!” He said with a huge smile once the trio reached them.
“Hi Yuki.” Hatsuharu said with a straight face practically floating over to greet him. Even though he really wanted to hug Yuki instead he just rested his hand on his shoulder. Yuki was a bit annoyed by Hatsuharu’s greeting, but said nothing and allowed his cousin to continue to stand with his hand resting on his shoulder, not wanting to invoke the dissension of black Haru so early in the morning.
“What the Hell!?” Kyou exclaimed seeing Momiji yet again dressed in a girl’s school uniform. Though Momiji wasn‘t wearing a skirt it was still obvious he was wearing the standard uniform for female students. “Do you plan to go through high school dressed like that?”
“I’ll wear the boy’s uniform next year, but for now this uniform still looks good on me.” Momiji said in his defense.
“I don’t see anything wrong with it.” Hatsuharu added.
“You wouldn’t.” Yuki thought eyeing the usual three to four necklaces Hatsuharu seemed to wear each day without fail.
“And you, still with those things dangling from your neck.” Kyou continued getting worked up even more.
“I like them.” Hatsuharu said defensively.
“Kyou, let’s just leave them be.” Yuki said trying to calm the situation before it turned ugly.
“Who asked you, ya damn rat!” Kyou spat, his orange hair standing on end.
“Don’t cause a scene outside the school, you stupid cat.” Yuki said in what could be perceived as a calm tone, but the look on his face said otherwise.
“I’ll cause a scene alright, by pounding your face into the pavement!” Kyou yelled rolling up his sleeves. “Let’s go!”
“Don’t be ridiculous, you stupid cat. You couldn’t beat me in a million years.”
“We’ll see about that!” Kyou said taking a step foreword.
“Shut up.” Hatsuharu said finally removing his hand from Yuki’s shoulder and turning to face Kyou. “Don’t say another word you dumbass cat.” Tohru’s and Yuki’s faces both went blank, Black Haru had descended yet again. “You have no right to go challenging Yuki when you have yet to defeat me.”
“You filthy little brat,” Kyou yelled. “You talk big but you ain’t got the power to back it up. What happened to that rematch you promised me huh?”
“You ran the hell away with your tail between your legs, remember?” Hatsuharu retorted.
“Who ran the hell away?”
“You did, like the puss you are!”
“That’s it! I’m gonna kick your ass!” Kyou yelled lunging forward.
“Finally some action!” Hatsuharu said with a crazed smile on his face as he took a fighting stance.
“This is stupid, I’m going to class.” Yuki said turning to Tohru. “Hondasan, you shouldn’t hang around or you’ll be terribly late waiting for them to finish.”
“Yeah, Haru seems really mad at Kyou.” Momiji chimed in while sucking on a lolly-pop. “But if you want to stay and watch I’ve got plenty of candy.
“Shouldn’t someone stop them?” Tohru questioned with a quivering voice.
“Nah, they’ll work it out. Besides neither one of them has landed a single punch, see.” Momiji said turning their attention back to the fight. Just as he said those words Kyou was just about to land the first blow when Hatsuharu walked way.
“WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU’RE DOING?!” Kyou yelled.
“I don’t have time for this right now she’s coming.”
“Who? What?” Kyou said still in utter disbelief that Hatsuharu walked away from the fight.
The group continued to watch as Hatsuharu made his way over to a very attractive female student that was just coming around the corner toward the school. The girl had a tan complexion and very long jet black hair that she currently wore in a ponytail that swayed behind her as she walked. The front of her hair was cut into bangs that gracefully curved her face, bringing attention to her flawless skin.
“Hey sweetheart,” Hatsuharu started still not quite himself, “let me walk you to class.”
“Um, if you insist.” The girl agreed with a sweat drop coming down the side of her head.
“I don’t believe it.” Yuki uttered under his breath.
“That’s Yamada Keiko, rumor has it that she just transferred here from a high school in Osaka.” Momiji said after removing the lolly-pop from his mouth. “She’s hot, isn’t she, Yuki?” Momiji said elbowing his cousin who was standing with his mouth open.
“Why are you asking me?” Yuki questioned.
“Cause you were staring at her.” Momiji replied.
“I wasn’t staring at her like how you’re implying.”
“Yes, you were.” Momiji said with a laugh. “Yuki’s got the hots for the new girl.” Momiji sung.
“Momiji stop saying things that aren’t true, especially things like that.” Yuki said obviously agitated.
“Then why are you blushing?” Momiji asked.
“Because you’re embarrassing me!” Yuki responded turning away from the group.
“Wow, I never seen Yuki blush before.” Tohru thought smiling to herself. As the group started walking to class turning around Tohru noticed that Kyou had not budged.
“Aren’t you coming Kyoukun?” Tohru asked as she watched Kyou stare angrily at Hatsuharu and Keiko.
“Yeah, I’m coming. I just want to keep an eye on those two. You know Haru’s out of control when he gets like this.”
“That’s so noble of you Kyoukun.” Tohru said with a starry look in her eyes.
“You know what?” Keiko said just as she and Hatsuharu passed Kyou and Tohru on the sidewalk. “I really have to go to the restroom so you should go on to class.” Keiko sweetly suggested.
“I don’t mind the wait. Instead, how about I just go to the restroom with you.” Hatsuharu said with a mischievous smile, but before Keiko could react Kyou punched Hatsuharu down to the ground and in doing so appearing to be a knight to the rescue in Keiko’s eyes.
“Thank you.” Keiko said graciously.
“No… problem…” Kyou said huffing and puffing as he tried to regain his breath. A second later Tohru was repeatedly bowing to Keiko apologizing on Hatsuharu’s behalf.
“Um, uh, I’m really sorry about this.” Tohru said not sure how to excuse Hatsuharu’s unusual behavior. “He usually doesn’t act like this. He just gets carried away sometimes. I hope you don’t look on him badly because of this and I’m sure if you give him another chance-”
“I’m sorry.” Hatsuharu said getting up off the ground now in his right state of mind. “Please, forgive my vulgar behavior and allow me to escort you to class.” Hatsuharu followed up with a low bow in his best attempt to apologize and save face.
“Um, that’s quite alright.” Keiko said dashing off.
“She ran away.” Tohru commented.
“You mean she was scared the hell off.” Kyou corrected.
“Do you think I still have a chance with her?” Hatsuharu asked causing a deep silence to fall over the group.
“I think I heard the chime, we better get to class.” Tohru said walking away with Kyou close behind.

At the end of school Tohru, Yuki, and Kyou were coming out of their last class together to find a huge crowd standing in the middle of the hall way.
“What’s going on?” Kyou asked not really expecting to hear a sufficient answer as to why he could not pass through the hall.
“Let’s just go around.” Yuki said even though he wanted to go join the crowd. Though Kyou was annoyed he also had a curious look on his face.
“Yukikun and Kyoukun look as if they want to see what’s going on, but with everyone huddled together like that it would be to easy for them to run into a girl and transform.” Tohru thought. “I’ll go see what’s going on.” Tohru said cheerful as she trotted off.
After squeezing her way through the throng of students Tohru could see that at the center of the crowd was Keiko.
“You really were in France for thirteen years?” A male student asked excitedly.
“Un.” Keiko answered.
“That’s so cool!” A female student squealed and the crowd buzzed even more with questions.
“So, can you speak French fluently?” Another female student asked.
“Yup, that’s right and while my family was there I also learned how to speak English and Spanish.
“Oh, wow! The student responded. “Could you teach me sometime?”
“Maybe.” Keiko responded. “Now if you please excuse me.” Keiko said attempting to walk away, but the crowd followed her straight out the door.
“What was that all about?” Kyou asked walking up to Tohru who was the only person left over from the crowd.
“Yamadasan seems to have become very popular.” Tohru reported.
“Geez, that must be annoying.” Kyou said looking on as the crowd continued to follow Keiko.
“I think it’s nice.” Yuki said with a cheerful tone though he was feeling a little jealous. “It’s nice that Yamadasan can make so many friends in the first day at a new school.
“Yes.” Tohru agreed happily.
“Yeah, well who cares.” Kyou said walking on leaving Tohru and Yuki dumbfounded. “You coming or what?” Kyou said looking over his shoulder directing his question toward Tohru.
“You don’t like Yamadasan?” Tohru asked.
“What? It’s not like that!” Kyou said obviously upset by the question. “I don’t even know her so how can I not like her? Besides all I mean is that more than likely most of those people could care less about getting to know her, they’re just curious because she’s new that’s all.”
“Oh, ok.” Tohru said understanding Kyou’s explanation for his indifferent comment. “How about we try to get to know her better then?” Tohru suggested taking Kyou’s hand. Yuki saw the motion and as innocent as it was he couldn’t help but feel a the wave of jealousy wash over him.
“That’s a good idea, Hondasan.” Yuki said perfectly concealing his envy as he came to Tohru’s side and took her other hand. As the three walked home as they usually did from school Yuki stared over at Kyou disdainfully. Kyou wasn’t paying attention, he was too busy hoping that the pace would pick up so they could get home faster. He honestly had rather not held Tohru’s hand all the way home; a fraction of that being because of the stares the trio received from passersby on the street, but mostly because at that moment their hands seemed to seething with sweat. Despite that fact that this really grossed him out Kyou continued to hold Tohru’s hand so that he wouldn’t hurt her feelings.
“Ooh, a love triangle.” Shigure said as the three approached the porch.
“Uh, no, it’s not like that!” Tohru said snatching her hands away and turning beat red.
“Why would you suddenly go saying something like that!?” Kyou yelled his face also red.
“Stop encouraging him, stupid cat.” Yuki said with a composed face.
“You wanna go?” Kyou said turning his attention to Yuki.
“Yes, let’s.” Yuki said loosing his collar and rolling up his sleeves.
“You asked for it!” Kyou yelled throwing a punch that was blocked and would have been followed up with a powerful kick, but Kyou managed to block Yuki’s leg with his arm then grab it, catching Yuki by surprise.
“That ain’t going to save you this time rat boy.” Kyou said smiling as he went to punch Yuki with his free hand, but Yuki caught his fist causing Kyou to fall forward. With Yuki trying to balance on one leg they both fell to the ground and were rolling in the dirt still punching at each other. The two were very skilled in the martial arts for their age and such rag-tag fighting was a rarity caused by them both being caught off guard by the events of their latest fight, but within seconds the two were off the ground going at it again. Kyou went for another punch and it was block this time as well and quickly followed up with a slap and then a kick which sent him flying into the air then falling to the ground.
“Not in a million years.” Yuki said walking into the house. Kyou was too embarrassed to get up and just lied on the ground fuming.
“Looks like you almost had him, Kyoukun.” Shigure shouted to his younger cousin. “…but not quite.” Shigure added. At that last comment Kyou got up and ran off into the woods surrounding their home.
“Shiguresan…” Tohru said, standing beside him, still in disbelief at how Shigure could be so cheery in his cruelty.
“Anyways, Tohrukun, didn’t you have to go to work today.” Shigure said.
Looking down at her watch Tohru gasps. “Oh, no! I’m going to be late!” Tohru exclaimed running off so that she could make it to her part-time job on time.
As Tohru approached the building were she worked she could see Keiko across the across the street carrying what appeared to be a giant knapsack. Curious as to what Keiko was up to Tohru continued staring, but reminded herself as to why she was running and continued on.

The next day in P.E. the class was doing track. The girls raced first. Keiko proved to be the fastest running among all the girls in the school.
“Amazing, Yamadasan tied with Sohmasan‘s record.” The P.E. teacher said. Keiko was on the track stretching after her run and as soon as she heard what the teacher said she ran over to him in the blink of an eye.
“Sensei, who is Sohmasan?” Keiko asked eagerly.
“That’s him over there. Sohma Yuki, you and he hold the fastest track time in the school.” The teacher said gesturing toward his location. Yuki was standing off by the bleachers just finishing up stretching and was filing onto the track with the other male students. Keiko caught sight of him and shot a completive glare at him.
“Excuse me.” The teacher said going over to start the boy’s race. Feeling as if he were being watched Yuki looks about and sees Keiko’s intense stare. Before anyone can notice the glare she was giving him she smiles and waves. Yuki waves back not knowing what else to do. Keiko walks away still smiling. The situation leaves Yuki feeling a little unsteady.
After the race a good majority of the students clear the scene leaving only a handful standing around idly chit-chatting instead of rushing to class. Yuki and Tohru were among the few still left, along with the one of the member’s of the Sohma Yuki fan club spying on the two. Tohru and Yuki were having a conversation about the “secret base” when Keiko walked up.
“Sohma Yuki.” Keiko said in a commanding tone.
“Yes.” Yuki said curious as to why the girl was addressing him.
“I challenge you!”
“To what?” Yuki asked curiously.
“A race Sohma Yuki. It has to be settled. One of us is the fastest and the only way to find out who is to race. So, Sohmasan, do you accept my challenge?”
“I’m sorry but I-” Yuki started to decline but was cut short.
“Coward!” Keiko said turning away. “Are you so afraid of being beaten by a woman that you’d turn down a challenge?”
“No, I’m just sure you’re much faster than I am-”
“Don’t try to hide your sarcasm with an innocent tone.” Keiko ordered.
“You’re right, I’m sorry.”
“Meet me here after school.” Keiko said flatly and walked away. Tohru was taken back by Keiko’s appearance.
“She didn’t even introduce herself…” Tohru said.

After school Yuki meet Keiko on the track as instructed.
“You sure took your sweet time.” Keiko said seeming to appear out of nowhere startling Yuki.
“I had a student council meeting.” Yuki said solemnly while trying to figure out a way to get Keiko to like him. He never encountered anyone accept for Kyou that seemed to take such a disliking to him. In retrospect it was an oddity that a girl in particular would seem to take such a disliking toward Yuki. If it wasn’t his attractive appearance it was his warming personality, so to say, that won them over.
“Even so I’m not the only one you’ve kept waiting.” Keiko said pointing over her should with her thumb towards the bleachers where the three remaining Sohma Yuki fan club members were hiding, the lens of their camcorder glinted in the light of the setting sun. “Well, let’s get this over with before it gets dark out.” Keiko said turning on her heals toward the bleachers. “Hey you!” She yelled causing the girls to jump out their hiding spot.
“How did you know we here?” Their current president asked still shaking.
“Your vibes…” Keiko stated with a mischievous smile. “We need someone to keep time.” Keiko said walking over to Member No.1 and handing her the stop watch. “You better not pull anything sneaky.” Keiko said before releasing the watch.
“Yes, ma’am.” The girl said earnestly though she was scared that if she did Keiko would do something to her.
“Are you ready?” Keiko asked Yuki once she returned to the track.
“Yes.” Yuki answered.
“Don’t you dare think of holding back just because I’m a girl.” Keiko said taking position beside Yuki on the track. “It wouldn’t be a fair race if we both didn’t do our best.” Keiko said and for a second there was a break in her tough girl facade, but only for second. “You don’t give it your best that only proves how frightened you are to be beaten by girl even when giving it all you have. If you hold back on me you’ll be lower than coward, you’d be a rat.” Keiko said lighting a fire inside Yuki.
“Ready, set, go!” Member No.1 shouted triggering the stop watch. At go the two took off tearing around the track at top speed. The terms of the race were to go twenty laps and who ever made to the finish line first would be the winner. At the beginning Keiko and Yuki were head to head, but as the race went one Yuki fell behind a few paces. By the nineteenth lap Yuki had falling terribly behind and the fan club girls where biting their nails hoping he’d somehow catch up and beat Keiko, but instead he collapsed on the field. Just before getting to the finish line Keiko came to sudden stop and ran across the track to Yuki who was laying on the ground.
“Sohmasan, Sohmasan, answer me. Are you ok?” Keiko called showing genuine concern as she checked his pulse and held the back of her hand over her hand over his nose and mouth. “He’s not breathing!” Keiko thought then quickly turned him on his back and tilted his head up.
“YUKI!!!!” The fan club girl shrieked running over to him.
“Don’t just stand there squawking call an ambulance!” Keiko yelled at the frantic group of girls then turned her attention back to the unconscious Yuki. Placing one hand under his chin and closing his nose with the other Keiko took a deep breath and exhaled into Yuki’s mouth. The frantic fan club girls regained their composer only to stand staring with their mouths wide open as Keiko performed CPR on their beloved prince. Keiko went through the process five more times before Yuki came to gasping.
“Thank God.” Keiko exhaled sitting back on her knees until she noticed the fan club girls were still there gawking. Standing up Keiko marched over to them angrily. “Why are all three of you still here? One of you should have went to call for an ambulance instead of standing here staring like a bunch of idiots. Some fan club you are. You three can’t even do the simplest things to save your prince. You losers make me sick.” Keiko said walking back over to Yuki who was too busy coughing to notice what was going on only a few yards away.
“Are you ok?” Keiko asked kneeling down beside Yuki.
“Yes.., I’m… fine.” Yuki answered between coughs, his heart pounding.
“Relax, take it easy.” Keiko coached. Turning to the fan club girls she gave them an angry glare.
“We’re going to call an ambulance right away.” The vice president said.
“Don’t…!” Yuki said still struggling to breath. “I’m fine.”
“Are you sure?” The girl asked.
“Yes, Yamadasan saved me.” Yuki said with a smile finally able to breath. The three girls turned white and ran away heart broken.
“Thank you.” Yuki said to Keiko.
“No problem.” Keiko assured flashing the victory sign.
After taking a shower Keiko waited for Yuki outside the boy’s locker room.
“Yamadasan!” Yuki said surprised to see her standing there.
“What? Did you think I was so heartless that I won’t stick around to make sure you were ok?” Keiko asked dejectedly. Yuki couldn’t say a word because the truth is he didn’t expect her to stay. “Normally I would never ask a guy this, but you don’t mind if I walk you home do you?”
“You don’t need to worry about me, Yamadasan. Thanks to you I’m fine.” Yuki said then turned to walk away.
“Oh no you don’t.” Keiko said running in front of him to block his path.
“You can’t just pass out like that in the middle of a race, stop breathing, then say that you’re fine. Even if you are alright now do you know that people usually still see a doctor afterward? On top of that most people don’t make it even if someone does CPR on them? Honestly it’s a miracle that you’re still alive.”
“Yes, I am in your debt.” Yuki said bowing.
“If that’s the case you can pay me back by allowing me to walk you home.” Keiko said cleverly.
“Ok.” Yuki agreed.
On the way home he couldn’t help but think about what Shigure would say when he arrived accompanied by Keiko.
As the two approached the house. They stopped in mid stride.
“What?” Keiko said. “Aren’t you going to introduce me to everyone?” Yuki only nodded and opened the door.
“Welcome back, Yuki!” Ayame greeted in his usually loud manner. Yuki was dumbfounded to see his older brother in his home all of a sudden.
“Oh, well who is this lovely young lady?” Shigure asked catching sight of Keiko.
“Lovely indeed.” Ayame said shooting her a lecherous glace.
“Is she your girlfriend?” Shigure asked.
“Shame on you cheating on Tohru.” Ayame said pretending to be appalled.
“I’m not his girlfriend.” Keiko said. “Why is that just because I’m a girl and happen to be with a boy, why would you think I’m his girlfriend. What if I were a boy, then what?”
“Well..-” Shigure started to comment but was cut off by a sudden outburst from Yuki.
“Don’t say another word!” Yuki yelled fuming with anger.
“So what do we owe the pleasure?” Ayame asked Keiko leaning dangerously close to her face.
“Get away from her!” Yuki said punching him.
“Oh my, what jealousy.” Ayame said laughing.
“Yes, do tell us why you’re here won’t you?” Shigure asked.
“Well actually I came home with Sohmasan because he passed out on the track.”
“What!?” Tohru said excitedly suddenly appearing. “Are you hurt? Are you ok?” She franticly asked feeling his forehead for signs of a fever.
“No, Yamadasan took care of it.” Yuki answered.
“Took care of it?” Kyou asked popping onto the scene.
“Well when he passed out Sohmasan wasn’t breathing so I had to give him CPR.” Keiko answered.
“Keiko our angel of life.” Shigure said fluttering around.
“So what was it like, Yuki?” Ayame asked.
“What do you mean?” Yuki asked with an uneasy feeling.
“What was like to feel the warmth of a woman’s lips pressed against your own?” Ayame rephrased. If no one knew any better they would have sworn Yuki had been shot, he doubled back nearly falling on his backside.
“It wasn’t like that!” He yelled standing up straight.
“Today will be the day of Yuki’s first kiss!” Ayami shouted.
“What are you talking about!?” Yuki said fuming.
“Yes, yes, a celebration!” Shigure said locking arms with Ayame and dancing around.
Knowing his family something like that would happen. Yuki stopped walking and put his hand to his forehead as he felt a sudden surge of pain shoot through it.
“Huh? What are you doing?” Keiko said noticing that Yuki was no longer beside her. “Are you ok?” She asked turning around and seeing him holding his head.
“It’s nothing.” Yuki replied, becoming embarrassed at what he was thinking.
“What are you really ok?” Keiko asked taking a closer look at his face and noticed that he was blushing.
“Really, it’s nothing.” Yuki insisted.
“Then why is your face all red?” Keiko asked leaning closer.
“It’s nothing.” Yuki repeated looking away.
“What was going through that brain of yours?” Keiko asked. “You’re a little pervert aren’t you?”
“No I’m not!” Yuki said becoming indignant.
“Yeah, I don’t think so either, but I kind of almost rather that than you being embarrassed that you are being walked home by a girl.” Keiko said with a smile. “Look, no one knows I’m walking home with you because I’m worried besides you so relax.”
“You’re right.” Yuki said calming down. “One more thing.”
“Yeah?”
“Could you not tell anyone about what happen this evening?”
“Are you sure that’s the best idea?” Keiko questioned.
“Please, you can’t say a word to anyone.” Yuki said becoming unnecessarily aggressive with Keiko who slapped him for suddenly grabbing her by the shoulders. The slap seemed to echo in the air and the sound frightened a flock of birds in a nearby tree who took to the air as the sound resonated.
“I’m sorry.” Yuki apologized lowing his head after a short pause which was used to recover from the sudden blow to his face. “I just don’t want anyone to find out that I lost consciousness on the field today.” Yuki said calming down. So, please keep this a secret.
“Well, if you feel that strongly about it, I won’t tell anyone.” Keiko agreed relenting to Yuki’s request. “If I didn’t know better I’d say you were afraid of doctors Sohma Yukisan, but I can tell by the look in your eyes that it’s something more, much more.” Keiko thought before addressing Yuki once more. “You know I can only speak for myself. What about those fan club girls?”
“Fan club girls?”
“The three girls that were on the field with us. Don’t tell me you have no idea what I’m talking about!” Keiko said in disbelief. “You’re the only boy in school that as his own fan club. I’ve only been there a couple of days and know this. Don’t tell me you honestly had no clue.”
“Actually…”
“Oh grief, you’re hopeless. Have you taken a look in the mirror lately? Why else would practically every girl in school be drooling over you?”
“Drooling? Are you serious?”
“Playing the nice guy does help but mainly they’re after you because of your looks.”
“I really had no idea.”
“He, he. Yeah right.” Keiko said grinning. “Anyway, get a move on.” Keiko said walking behind Yuki and pushing him. “It’s bad enough I have to walk home alone, but if you don’t get moving I’ll be doing it in the dark.”
“Right, let’s get going then.” Yuki said picking up the pace. A short time went by before Yuki spoke again. “Yamadasan-”
“Ugh! Don’t call me “Yamada” or “san” it’s annoying. Just call me Keikochan.
“But I don’t want to seem too familiar.” Yuki said slightly blushing.
“Oh get over it. People used to call me that all the time.” Keiko said sounding a little sad for a second. “Anyway, something tells me we’re going to be spending a lot of time together from now on so get “familiar”.” Keiko said with a small smile. Yuki looked away still blushing. Normally he wouldn’t behave as he was presently, but for some reason Keiko’s presence somehow invoked him to show how he was really feeling, which normally he kept hidden. Even from his family he kept certain feelings bottled up inside and even though Yuki has just met Yamada Keiko she threatened to bring all those feelings to the forefront and at that moment his feelings were those of a boy slightly giddy that such a beautiful girl was paying him so much attention.
“Keikochan.”
“Yeah?”
“It’s already kind of dark and I’d feel terrible if you walked home alone. After all you’ve done for me. I’m sure one of my cousins will be happy to take you home.” Yuki said before really thinking about the words that came out of his mouth. He could see it now. He’d probably have to rough Kyou up before he agreed to escort Keiko to her home and Shigure would be too eager to do so.
“Oh, that’s very nice of you, Yukisan.” Not really accustomed to being called by his first name Yuki paused making a slight gasping sound.
“Don’t over react. Is there a problem with me calling you by your name?”
“No, I’m just not used to it.” Yuki said blushing once again now feeling embarrassed because he himself felt he may have over reacted.
“Ah, I see, you don’t have many friends do you?”
“How did you…?”
“It’s a shame really. The most popular guy in the whole school and not to have any friends.”
“I have friends…” Yuki said now feeling inadequate.”
“Yeah, I’ve heard a good number of your relatives attend the school as well, but they don’t count. I mean being friends with one’s relatives is completely different from making friends outside the family. With relatives a certain amount of trust is usually given automatically. With other people you’re kind of taking a leap of faith and that’s why I won’t tell anyone about what happened today. I want you to trust me Yukisan, because I want to become friends and I know I barely know you at all, but for some reason I feel you’re someone that I can trust.” Up until that moment Keiko had been relentless in keeping up her tough façade, but at that moment Yuki could see a tremendous break in her usually indifferent behavior and in that break she seemed like a beautiful, kind hearted, tender girl.
“What are you looking at?” Keiko questioned slipping back into her usual mode.
“Sorry.” Yuki said quickly turning away and hiding his face.
“Oh, is that your house?” Keiko said seeing Shigure’s house just ahead.
“Yes, that’s it.” Yuki said regaining his composure.

“Oh, what a cute little house.” Keiko said as they approached the door.
“Won’t you come in?” Yuki invited.
“Ok.” Keiko agreed not wanting to seem rude by turning down the invitation.
“Welcome back Yukikun, You’re getting in a little later than usual.” Shigure said when Yuki entered the house. “Oh, and who might this vision of loveliness be, you’re new girlfriend?” Shigure asked teasingly.
“This is Yamada Keiko. She’s new at school.”
“Good move, Yukikun. Claiming the beautiful new girl at your school before anyone else can.” Shigure said winking and giving Yuki one thumb up.
“Please, excuse my cousin, Keikochan, he can get a bit carried away sometimes.”
“Huh? What are you doing here?” Kyou asked entering the room and seeing Keiko standing in their home.
“Oh, hi Kyoun-Kyoun. Yukisan invited me.” Keiko said cheerily.
“Hey, don’t call me that!” Kyou yelled.
“Why not, Kyoun-Kyoun?” Shigure asked turning his attention to teasing Kyou.
“Everyone at school calls him that.” Keiko said.
“Is that so?” Shigure said looking at Kyou as to ask why.
“It doesn’t matter why everyone calls me that you guys don’t need to start doing it too!”
“Awe, I’m sorry.” Keiko apologized. “Is it okay if just I call you Kyouchan then?” She asked with a smile. Kyou took one look at her ready to object, but once he laid eyes on her his indignation seemed to somewhat dissolve.
“Fine, call me whatever you want.” Kyou said. “But don’t you two go getting any ideas.” He said yelling at Shigure and Yuki then stomped away.
“He, he. Well, I better get going now.” Keiko said sliding back into her shoes.
“What? Already?” Shigure pouted.
“Maybe, I’ll stay a little later some other time.” Keiko said motioning to go outside.
“Keikokun, you should let Yuki take you home.” Shigure said looking at his younger cousin.
“Um, no. That’s ok.” Keiko said abruptly turning around.
“Well, if you rather not Yuki take you home, I’d be more than glad to.” Shigure offered.
“Really, I’m fine.” Keiko said bolting out the door and away from the house.
“Was it something I said?” Shigure wondered out loud. Yuki could only stare at him with an annoyed expression on his face.

A few hours later that night Tohru was walking home from work when she saw what appeared to be a girl wearing an over sized rain poncho and carrying a giant knapsack that looked very similar to the one she saw Keiko carrying the day before. Seeing the girl slink into a dark alleyway Tohru gasped and ran to catch up to the girl before she lost sight of her.
Coming around the corner where she saw the girl disappear Tohru could see a dark figure slumped over in a seated position. Looking up the figure could see Tohru standing in front of her looking down on her with sympathetic eyes.
“Yamadasan?” Tohru said shocked to see her classmate out on the street like she was. Keiko looked up at Tohru with tears streaming down her face and her voice cracked as she spoke.
“Please don’t tell anyone.” Keiko requested pleadingly.

~To Be Continued~


A/N: Well, that’s the end of the first chapter of one of the many Fruits Basket fan fictions I plan on posting here. It seems that Yuki escaped transforming this time around. Can’t really say he’ll be so lucky next time… I hope you all enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

www.geocities.com/layerofhoshika