Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Faint ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 1

 

The red, white, and blue lights flashed in the afternoon sky as the yellow tape glowed around the scene. Sounds of gunfire were faintly being heard. A girl was spread out in the middle of the road, covered in blood. Her blue hair was stained, and her pale skin was cut. Her emerald eyes barely opened, but sparkled in the light. Many people passed by, staring at the mysterious child.

 

Among the passer-bys were two odd-looking teenage boys. One had orange hair and red eyes; the other had gray hair and purple eyes. They were accompanied by a man who looked to be in his mid to late twenties. He looked like a talk show host. The man turned his attention to the accident. An obese police officer waddled up to the man and began to talk.

 

"Excuse me sir, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave. We've got a job to do here, and right now, our main focus is finding a guardian for this young lady. We've done a DNA test, and she has no living relatives as far as we know. Unless you want to take her in, you're going to have to take your sons and go home."

 

"We'll take her in! It feels so empty in the house without Tohru around…" whined the man.

 

"You just want to take her in because you don't want to have to cook or clean!" shouted the orange-haired boy.

 

"Now, now! That would be selfish! You know I'm not the kind of man to do that! I'm just trying to put a roof over her head! Is that such a bad thing?" argued the man. The orange-haired boy and the gray-haired boy sweatdropped at the man's stupidity.

 

"Who is Tohru?" queried the officer.

 

"My daughter. She moved out of the house, and soon after, she died. My wife and I divorced soon after. She took my car. I don't want to replace my daughter - or my wife - but it feels so strange, even to this day, not to have a lady around the house. It just gets so lonely…" fibbed the man. The police officer began to weep uncontrollably.

 

"That's horrible! No man should have to deal with two teenage sons, no car, a dead daughter, and no wife! The pain must overwhelm your poor soul! You may take this girl into your care!" exclaimed the officer between sobs. The man inwardly smiled at himself as the two boys stared at him in shock.

 

The next day, the girl woke up to find herself in a bed. It was a pink bed. And it was scary. She almost shrieked at the pure horror of it. The orange-hared boy she had seen the day before walked in, carrying a roll of gauze tape. He sat down on the bed and began to unravel the bloody gauze on her left arm. The girl stared at him for a while.

 

"What do you want?!" he suddenly shouted.

 

"Who are you? And where am I?" the girl managed to ask.

 

"Why do you care? All that matters is that you're not dead!" he replied as he began to apply the new gauze.

 

"If you were suddenly taken into a new home with strange people, wouldn't you want to know who the people were and where you were?" The girl tilted her head and the boy sighed in frustration.

 

"I'm Kyou. And you're at the Sohma estate."

 

"My name is Sachi." Kyou then noticed the blood on the back of Sachi's shirt.

 

"Yuki would probably kill me if I didn't do this, so don't think I'm some sort of pervert…" Kyou said as he lifted up the back of her shirt. He gasped. On her back was a hideous scar in the shape of a skull. It was slowly bleeding, and the teeth seemed to glow with a hideous red light. Kyou was almost speechless, but managed to (very loudly) ask one question... "What the hell happened to you?!"

 

"The scar?" Sachi queried. Kyou nodded. "That is what seals the curse," she explained.

 

"I have a curse too, so don't sound like you're the only one with one, okay? A lot of people have curses, like Donald Trump and Brittany Spears."

 

"You have a curse? Really? What is it? I promise I won't tell anybody."

 

"You'll have to find that out on your own. I can't tell anybody, or Akito'll have my head," he stated as he finished applying the gauze to her back.

 

"I have one more thing to ask…"

 

"What?"

 

"Yesterday I heard the man mention a girl named Tohru. How did she die?"

 

"Tohru wasn't his daughter. He's a liar. And his name is Shigure. Tohru was a girl that Shigure and Yuki found in a tent near our house. Because she had no other place to stay, we took her into our house," he sighed. "Yuki and I both loved her. The head of the family killed her," he sadly explained.

 

"And the head of the family is Akito?"

 

"No shit, Sherlock." Sachi blinked.

 

"Why did Akito kill her?"

 

"She accidentally blurted out the secret in public. She just wasn't thinking. Doofus…" Sachi and Kyou stayed silent for a few moments.

 

"I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT SHIGURE WOULD TRY TO REPLACE HER LIKE THAT! NO PERSON SHOULD EVER BE REPLACED! I FEEL TERRIBLE!" sobbed Sachi. Kyou just stared at her, amazed at her sudden outburst. Kyou got up to leave the room.

 

"If you need anything, just call me," he said as he walked out the door. Sachi sighed. She wasn't alone anymore…