Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ From Emptiness Come Happiness ❯ From Emptiness Comes Happiness ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: No own. Not making cash from it. Thank you.

From Emptiness Comes Happiness

He was gone.

In his last breath, he vanished, and in his last breath, he told me how he felt.

Now he's gone.

I turn to his brother, who had tears running down his face, his golden eyes a dark brown in color. Behind him, Kyo stared wide eyed, and disbelieving, he ran away when he saw me. He ran. Haru was crying, sobbing uncontrollably, he wept with a broken heart, and a broken soul. Hatori covered his body, wiping a tear from his eye. Kagura was holding Momiji to her, Shigure sat in a corner with his head in his hands. I heard the sobbing. Hiro held Kisa to him, as he buried his nose in her hair.

He's really gone.

I couldn't believe it. No. . . It couldn't be true! He wasn't dead!

But I was drowning in the sorrow in the room, and I knew he was.

Akito came into the room, he stared at me, and saw my condition. He asked Hatori what happened, and Hatori told him.

I was too late. The realization came into my head. I could have saved him. Now he's dead!

Yuki, Kyo, and I had went to the cabin by the lake earlier. Yuki and Kyo went swimming, and I played in the shallower parts. Yuki cramped up, and I was too slow. . . I wasn't strong enough to swim to him, and bring him back. I was too weak. His dying body was cold when I brought him to shore, and ran to the Sohma cottage to call Hatori. Kyo stayed by him, Hatori arrived, and still, I was too late.

Why did he have to die? Why wasn't I fast enough?

I swallowed a sob of despair.

I hugged my waist, and fell to the floor. I waited for Akito's wrath to fall upon. This was all my fault. I killed Yuki. I'm a murderer.

The tears fell silently onto the cold floors.

Yuki. I remembered his smile, his lavender eyes. My best friend.

Oh, I wish I could return your feelings before you died. So not only did I kill you, I sent you to the afterlife, unloved! Oh, Yuki! If only you knew how much your friendship meant to me, would you still be here? Would you have fought for life?

I felt a hand in my hair, it was a gentle hand. It caressed me. And I flinched beneath it.

Words were murmured, but I didn't here them. Only when the hand touched my face, and I looked up into cloudy eyes of gray and skin of pale did the words finally find their way into my heart.

Thank you, Tohru Honda.

"Why?" I asked Akito as he reached out to comfort me. "Why are you thanking me?"

Akito pulled me into his arms- he didn't change. He never transformed, he remained Akito. "I am thanking you for bringing Yuki back to us. He passed gently. He saw all his family around him, and he had you to hold him before he died."

"No." I shook my head. "I didn't save him. I wasn't fast enough. ."

"No," Akito held me closer. "He and I had come to an arrangement. We spoke about this after. . .after that day you told me you would be my friend."

And we had been right? So. . .are you being my friend now Akito? Can you feel my pain? Is that why you hold me, and cuddle me, and say all these things?

I've never felt pain such as this. I realize now. I realize that losing Yuki, was like losing my mother all over again. They were both young, and I wasn't expecting it.

"Yuki told me he knew of a way to lift the Sohma curse. He said it would allow me to live a full life, and allow the rest of the family to no longer be cursed. Not thinking of the consequences, I leapt on this cure, and asked him what it was. He told me, it required a sacrifice of the juunishi. Only one of the twelve could do the ritual, and that one had to die the day after the ritual was complete, on a fool moon night, or the curse would not crumble beneath the cure." Akito swallowed, the rest of the juunishi were in the room, and held their breaths. "I did not understand why he was suddenly showing up here, at the main house. Why he was suddenly with Ayame, and why he tried to never leave your side. That day with you and Kyo- Tohru, he was trying to kill himself. Have you hugged the juunishi today? They will not change, and I no longer feel the curse within me."

The collected audience gasped.

"He loved you Tohru." Akito said sadly. "And he wouldn't want you to beat yourself up over it."

Tears fell down Tohru's cheeks, and she held Akito tightly to her, like a lifeline in the storm. She was crying, sobbing hard against Akito.

Akito held her, and before Tohru knew it, she felt someone else behind her, holding her, and pulling her from Akito.

Kyo turned her around in his arms, and held her there. The curse was broken, for he never changed. "Tohru. . ."

Tohru knew there were others who needed her strength right now, she would mourn him later.

"It's alright, Tohru." Kyo's whispered words made her cry some more. "Yuki's pain has ended."

Tohru was passed around after. Words of comfort were being given to her, each word made her stronger, it made her feel as if she was no longer on the inside looking out, but the outside looking in.

She was looking into Shigure's eyes when she saw her reflection. She was a wide eyed girl with tears cascading down her face, a girl who felt a little broken, but a little stronger. She was a girl, who was coming into womanhood.

She felt something on her shoulder, the spot Yuki would climb into when he transformed, or the place his hand would rest.

It sometimes takes tougher things to get through that makes us grow, She heard Yuki's voice clear in her mind. The hair by her right ear moved with the whisper of a breeze in the room. And I'm glad I became a man to tell you I love you, Tohru.

"Yuki," She whispered, her heart felt light, and warm. He was with her, always. Was that the power of his love? Or was it his spirit within her?

Tohru, I love you.

I love you too Yuki. You were my greatest friend.

I felt something in my belly, a little sensation. A warming feeling in my stomach, and I knew. Call it woman's intuition, but I knew.

********

Nine years later.

Whoever said birth is a pain, was totally understating it! It hurts like a bitch! It's worse than having to pull your lower lip over your head, and to the back of your neck!

My husband Akito stood beside me, I held his hand firmly. He was no longer sick and pale, but strong and healthy. Well, he was pale as he heard my scream of pain as it lanced up m body.

Akito was whispering in my ear, Shigure, I heard that son of a bitch laughing outside. He and Ayame! Those bastards. . . When I find the strength to get off this table, I'm going to cut off some of their very favorite body parts, that way, Miine and whoever Shigure marries won't feel this.

Kyo was on the other side of me, he looked shocked, pale, and a little sick. Kagura was grasping his arm, and I was sure any minute they would have to amputate it, it was turning purple. . .

Momiji was now a young man with a girl friend every week. Thank God he didn't have one this week, the poor sick boy had just run out of the room when the baby started crowning. Haru chased him off somewhere, leaving Saki with Arisa who seemed a little unstable her boyfriend, Ritsu- yes Ritsu and Arisa are together now, just as Saki and Haru are together- just held her to him.

Kisa's eyes were wide as she waited, holding onto Hiro's hand. She seemed so frightened, that had the curse not been broken, I was sure that she would transform into the adult tiger that she seemed to become at the blossoming age of seventeen.

"One more push, Mrs. Sohma!" Fucking doctor was telling me what to do!? Shit!

I screamed in fury, pain, and love as the baby fell out o me in one whoosh!

Or that's what it felt.

Akito leapt to look at the baby.

The gray membrane covered babe, along with the blood everywhere must have gotten to him. He fainted, and Kyo caught him. But, just as he saw what happened, he fell too.

I'm sure Kagura would have caught him if she wasn't half way through her own pregnancy.

The baby was clean, and seemed fine, no problems.

They gave the baby to me saying, "It's a boy."

I looked at the baby.

The baby was quiet, so was the room. They al watched, just as the baby watched me, and I watched him.

Lavender eyes stared up at me, and I saw Yuki for the briefest of moments.

"Yuki." I said. "I shall call you, Yuki Sohma."

The room erupted into cheers, and my dear sweet husband roused from his collapse. Akito, I never knew he was capable of fainting. Who knew?

I held Yuki, and offered him my breast to feed from. Suddenly, all motherly instincts took over. I wanted women near me, all around me. My husbands arms to hold me, my family around me, I wanted to show this child love. The love that his namesake has given to us all, by giving his own.

And if it wasn't for what he sacrificed, I wouldn't be his souls new mother.

For from emptiness come life, and from life love, and from love, happiness.

****************

A/N:

What do you guys think? Tell me! It was sad, sorry Yuki fans, but you see, Yuki's soul went into Tohru's body, and when she gave birth it was him. So, there you go.