Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Fruits Basket ❯ Chapter 1 New Day ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Fruits Basket
a fan fic by: Lindsey Huff



Chapter 1: A New Day
(Narrated by Tohru Honda)


Ribbons of yellow and orange came in through the window and lit up the room. I opened my eyes, very slowy and sat up to look out the window. It was just past dawn and the sky was still faintly painted with oranges and pinks. I stretched and looked over at my clock, 7 am. Why did I always have to wake up so early? Well at least I didn't have school, it is Saturday after all. I pulled the covers off of me and prepared for a new day in the Sohma home.
As you probably already know, I'm Tohru Honda. I used to live with my mom, until she died in an accedent. Then my grandfather took me into his home, but our house needed some remodeling. My grandfather went to go stay with his daughter and asked me to stay with my friends, but I couldn't bother them. Arisa lives in a small one bedroom apartment and Hanajima lives with her family, I didn't want to trouble them. Instead I moved into a tent out in the woods. Well at least, I did live in a tent until a landslide crushed it. That's when I met the Sohma's. I already knew Yuki Sohma from school, but I never talked to him. They took me into their home and all I had to do was the chores, life was great! One day though, my grandfather called and said the house was done, I was sad to leave the Sohma home but knew I had over stayed my welcome. However, Yuki and Kyo came to me and invited me back into their home. I was overjoyed to be living with the Sohma's again. Now I can't wait to see what will happen next, and who I will meet!
There was a soft knock on my door, I recognized the knock now to be Yuki's politeness. How odd, Yuki didn't usually get up so early, but sure enough when I opened the door, there he stood with a solemn smile on his face. An empty smile. He was always like that, only sometimes did I see the real Yuki.
"Oh, Yuki...you're up early," I said akwardly, usually it was Kyo who awoke so early.
He nodded slowly. "I just woke up, Tohru would you like to join me in a morning walk?" he asked looking down.
I felt myself blush. Yuki was called the "Prince" at our school. Girls from three years above us knew who he was, he was the cutest guy in school. "S-Sure Yuki, I'd love to," I said.
"Then shall we?" Yuki questioned offering me his arm.
What a gentleman he was, much different from Kyo.
You see the Sohma's have a secret, they are posessed by spirits of the chinease zodiac. Yuki is the rat, and Kyo is the cat. Kyo isn't actually part of the zodiac, he is the animal that was tricked to not coming to the banquet, and it happened to be the rat who tricked him. Kyo and Yuki fought often, but I've come to find out that they are jealous of each other. Kyo is tempermental and can be rude most of the time, but I know he's a nice person. He just doesn't know how to express it. Yuki on the other hand is kind and sensitive, he wouldn't hurt anything that wouldn't hurt him. But I've also learned that Yuki isn't really confident of himself and others' opinions mean a lot to him.
I stepped out into the warm heat of the rising sun. The pink was gone now, but faint strips of orange still painted the sky. The sun itself was a bright orange half cricle on the horizon. I breathed in the crisp morning air, as I let Yuki lead me where ever he wanted to take me. We walked down the path of the woods that we usually took to school. Yuki stopped me before we got half way down the path and then he turned onto a faded path through the trees. I'd never been down this path and by the looks of it, it hadn't been used in years. Then he stopped me again with a hand on my arm. Yuki stood in front of me with a small smile on his face.
"Miss Honda, do you like flowers?" he asked using my name in a polite formal way.
I couldn't help but give him a bashful smile. "Uh...yea I do, why?" I replied.
He didn't say anything else he just moved aside so my vision could extend beyond him. A beautiful field of flowers lay beyond him. Flowers of all different colors. I gasped at the beauty and wonder on how so many flowers could've gotten here. They were so pretty and the newly raised sun only made them gleam in the light. The sea of colors seem to glow with little beads of silver light. The morning dew that had formed small droplets on each petal still hadn't evaporated and it made the field glow with silver. I looked at Yuki and he was smiling now, a full smile, a real smile. I smiled back at him sweetly, how kind Yuki was.
"Yuki this is unbelieveable!," I exclaimed looking over the field again before looking back to him.
"I've been wanting to bring you here, but I never got up early enough for you to see it like this," he replied.
"Oh, it'd be beautiful even without the dew," I said truely greatful that I agreed to come with him.
"But I wanted you to see it like this," Yuki insisted.
I looked back at him from where I had been examining the silver glowing sea of flowers. I smiled at this. Yuki was so considerate of others, so soft hearted, yet at the same time he could be cold and dangerous. I admired that about Yuki, he was so independent. However I couldn't help feel that he always seemed so sad. I took Yuki's hand in mine, he looked at me with slightly surprised eyes.
"Thank you so much Yuki," I said and then kissed him on the cheek.
I watched as a redness passed his face. Yuki was blushing! It made me smile even more to see him like that, at least it took away some of that sad look he always held. I pulled on his hand back towards the path. It was getting near noon and I needed to get back in time to make lunch for everyone. We agreed that we would come back to this field soon, when we didn't have to leave so soon. I had to tug Yuki back towards the house because his other hand was on the cheek I had kissed and he seemed a bit dazed. He also was still slightly blushing. Finally we reached the house and I dropped Yuki's hand running to the kitchen. Which left him standing in the dining room, still a little dazed. As I started lunch I heard Shigure's voice from the other room.
"Hey Yuki. Huh? Yuki?" Shigure's voice said from the other room, then he poked his head into the kitchen. "What's wrong with Yuki?"
"Oh, I guess he's in a daze," I said searching through cabnents.
"Well, could you help me snap him out of it? He's kinda creeping me out," Shigure replied and then gave me an innocent smile.
I sighed and walked into the dining room, where Yuki stood staring at nothing. His hands were down to his sides and he looked like a life-sized doll. I waved a hand in front of his face and he didn't even flinch. I touched his shoulder and still nothing. I even called his name a few times, but he was out of it. Finally I just stood in front of him and wrapped my arms around his waist. He jerked and touched my back for a few moments before he disappeared in a white cloud. The little purple eyed rat looked up at me from where he stood on his heap of clothes.
"I'm sorry Tohru, thank you for helping me snap out of my daze," he said apologetically.
I shook my head. "It's fine Yuki, I don't mind. I was getting a little worried any way," I replied.
He nodded and let out a small sigh. "Please, don't let me delay your tasks," he said slowly.
"Oh! Right, lunch!" I said standing and rushing into the kitchen.