Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Fruits Basket ❯ Chapter 2 Bad News; Kyo's Acting Strange ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Fruits Basket
a fan fic by: Lindsey Huff



Chapter 2: Bad News; Kyo's Acting Strange



When I came into the dining room with the food, Yuki was sitting at the table in human form and dressed. (whew) I sat down and watched as they got their share. I looked over at each of them. Yuki's eyes were closed as he chewed small bites, so he didn't notice me. Shigure had his head propped up by one hand and was looking up and mumbling something about a novel. I looked over to Shigure's right, to an empty seat. This seat usually belonged to Kyo. The house was quiet now without Kyo being around. In fact I hadn't heard from him, nor seen him all morning. I looked back at the other two men.
"Where's Kyo?" I asked finally breaking the silence.
Shigure lowered his gaze to me and stopped mumbling to himself. Yuki opened his eyes to also look at me. Then they looked at each other, still in silence. They knew something and they weren't telling me!
"You guys know something don't you?" I accused giving them my best pouty look.
"Eh, well...." Shigure started.
"Hey, guys...." came Kyo's voice from the door as he walked in.
I looked up at him and smiled. "Oh, Kyo you're back!" I said cheerifully.
He froze when he saw me, it was obvious that he didn't know that I knew he had been gone. Then his face shadowed and he looked down at the ground as he sat down at the table. Shigure and Yuki watched him and then looked away.
"Could I....talk to you alone?" Kyo asked in a low voice.
I felt myself blush again, as I had that morning. Kyo has never asked something of this so boldly before. It made me worry, was something wrong? Before I could say anything Yuki and Shigure left the room, leaving me and Kyo alone at the table. He was still looking down.
"I...I was called to Akito today," he began slowly.
I gasped and covered my mouth with my hand. "Why?" I questioned and I felt tears well up in my eyes. Whatever Kyo was going to say, wasn't going to be good news.
"I only have month left here...." he said.
"What? Why? Is it my fault? I didn't mean to! I'm sorry Kyo! I really am! Please don't go if it's---" I bursted out fast.
"No!" he interrupted and then he looked up and tears were going down his face. "No...it's not your fault. Akito just said that it'd be best if I left."
"W-What?" I asked and I began crying too.
He shook his head and looked down again, hiding his face from me. I stood and went to the side of the table he was on and sat beside him. I touched his hand softly, which was balled up in a fist at his side. He hesitated but slowly unballed his fist and took my hand in his. This made me blush.
"Kyo....tell me why," I whispered leaning towards him so I could whisper to him.
"Akito....he didn't want me.....to end up like Hatori...." he said choking back sobs.
"What do you mean?" I questioned still whispering.
"He....said that if I....fell in love with you Tohru, that he'd kill both of us," Kyo said and a tear dropped on top of our united hands.
I froze in my place. Suddenly everything seemed to melt away. I wanted so badly to tell Kyo that he didn't have to worry about me falling in love him, But if I did, I knew I'd be lying to both of us and that wasn't fair.
"I want to meet Akito," I said soft toned.
Kyo looked up at me with a shocked look. "What?" he questioned.
"I want to meet Akito," I repeated more boldly.
"But I can't---" he started to protest.
I interrutped his sentece by leaning into him. I wrapped my arms around his waist and hugged his human form as tightly as I could before he would turn into a cat. Kyo hugged me back for a moment and then there was an orange poof of smoke. Kyo sat on the floor in cat form, looking up at me.
"I know that wasn't fair to you Kyo, but I....I really want to meet Akito," I said half sobbing.
He jumped up into my lap after that. "Hey, don't worry about it.....I'll talk to Yuki and Shigure," he promised.
I scooped him up in my arms and held him touching his furry face to mine. "Thank you Kyo, thank you," I said.