Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Karing For Kisa ❯ Black Episode ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimers: I don’t own anything, especially not Fruits Basket.

Warnings: Language, Yuki meaness, Black Haru meaness, Tohru OOC, Haru OOC (have you noticed Haru uses an incredible amount of endearments with Kisa? Sweet, but still OOC)

XXXXX

Chapter 5: Black Episode

Months went by and soon they were well into their summer break. Tohru, Kyo and Yuki had all graduated and were eager, nervous, excited and apprehensive about their futures. At least Tohru and Kyo were. Yuki was a different story. He had checked out several schools where he wanted to continue his education – all of which were far, far away from the little house on the edge of the forest and most especially the Sohma estate.

He hated living with everyone in the small house, yet could never live in the main house; so as soon as he was able, he was moving to another town where no one knew him and he could live without his entire family breathing down his neck.

The thing was… he hated being totally alone even more. The only person he could stand to be around for more than two seconds was Hatsuharu. Naturally, he wanted the ox to run away (since he was still underage), and live with him in Asahikawa (1)

Which is why Haru – cool, calm, and always collected Haru - Was standing on the porch with an utterly (no pun intended) stunned expression. Seeing him like this might have actually been comical, if not for the complete seriousness on his older cousin’s face.

“What?!” He said softly, not believing what Yuki had just said.

“I want you to come with me when I leave. Things will be better when it’s just the two of us.” Yuki said; clearing up any confusion the ox may have been experiencing.

“You want me to just run away and leave everything behind?! I can’t do that! I have responsibilities – and so do you!”

“Who cares about responsibility? There’s nothing here for us. The family controls every aspect of our lives; where we go to school, who we can be around. We can’t date or marry outsiders because of our ‘secret’ and we can’t be with another member of the zodiac in the off chance that things might work out and we’re happy together.” He paused for a second, looking into Haru’s eyes. “Look at you and Rin. That was nearly three years ago, and she still won’t talk to you!” The ox looked away. Yuki had really struck a nerve with that comment.

“I can’t leave everyone. I can’t leave Kisa.” Haru said softly, refusing to look in the rat’s direction.

“What about me? I thought you were in love with me and would do anything to be with me.”

Haru stared up at his cousin. “I did love you. Three years ago. I thought it was love, but I was young and didn’t know what love truly was – and I still don’t. I do know that it’s not whatever it was I felt for you.”

“Fine. I don’t care, just come with me.” He begged.

“I told you, I can’t – no I won’t – leave Kisa. She needs me.”

Yuki’s eyes darkened to an impenetrable color. “I don’t care about her! She makes me sick! She has all your attention, all your love! Well, screw her! I need you! I love you, not her!”

Haru glowered, a dangerous expression crossing his face. “You’ve never given a damn about anyone but yourself. You always said that you were ‘trying’, but you never changed. I’m sorry you feel that way about her, Yuki, but I’m not going and nothing you say or do will change that. I’m through talking to you.” He turned away and walked to the door, hoping that once he went inside the ‘conversation’ would end.

Yuki grabbed his shoulder, spun him around, and kissed him hard. Shocked, Haru didn’t move for a second. Then he reacted, forcibly shoving Yuki away.

“Stay the hell away from me. I never want to talk to you or see you again.” Haru spat out, venom seeping from every word. He stormed into the house, leaving Yuki on the ground where he had landed.

XXXXX

Hatsuharu Sohma is not the type of person to just sit and stew quietly in his anger; nor is he one to mutter a few curses, yell horribly at someone or something, and just be in a foul mood for a while until it passes.

No, he needs more of an outlet for his anger than that. Meaning that he turns into Black Haru.

So, using these observations, we know that it was Black Haru – not White – who stormed up the stairs to the room he currently shared with Kyo, and started tearing it apart.

The heavy sounds of objects smashing and the ominous cloud that seemed to radiate from the ox attracted the attention of one tiger zodiac. Kisa appeared in the doorway, concern and worry etched on her pretty features.

“Otou-san?” she asked timidly, wondering what was wrong to make him act like this. Haru turned away from the desk he was currently destroying. She nearly shook in fright at the look on his face. Never had she seen so much anger. His gray eyes, now black, glittered dangerously; his face contorted and his mouth drew back in a sneer.

“Get out of here! Stop staring like that! Get lost!” He said, his voice still dripping with venom. She remained frozen where she was, scared, frightened and shocked that he was acting this way.

“I said get out!” He snarled, and she ran, colliding with Kyo who was coming up to see what all the noise was, she pointed at his room and ran to find Tohru, silvery streams running down her cheeks.

Wincing at a particularly loud shattering sound, Kyo walked into his room, to find a mirror smashed and his cousin’s knuckles bleeding.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?!” He yelled, taking in the state of his usually fairly decent looking room.

“Shut up. I don’t have to listen to you, stupid cat.”

“Then get the hell out of my room! Go bash in that stupid rat’s head!”

“I already did. Why don’t you fight me instead? You’re much better to fight than he is.” The Black ox challenged.

“Fine, but I’m not going to fight you in here. We can do this in the back yard.”

Haru grumbled, saying he was just trying to get out of a fight, but followed Kyo out to the yard.

Two minutes later the opponents stood facing each other, preparing to fight. Suddenly Kyo moved, kicking his foot into Haru’s shoulder; knocking him back. An attempt to hit his side was halted when his foot was grabbed and twisted around. Planting his hands on the ground, Kyo freed himself, did a flip and twisted to face his opponent once again.

Haru came at the cat; all wild punches that were easily blocked and deflected while Kyo was able to get in a few of his own. A well placed kick to his upper chest had Kyo flying back, hitting the ground with a harsh thump. Haru walked over to him, taunting the ‘stupid cat’; kicking his sides. Rolling away from the attack, he sprung up, landing a punch to his cousin’s jaw. Staggering back, Haru glared, then came at him again.

Preparing himself in a defensive stance, Kyo managed to throw the raging ox over his back, before spinning around and pinning him to the unyielding ground. Panting harshly, air being sucked into his lungs with loud gasps, they stayed there; Haru being held down by Kyo’s weight sitting uncomfortably on his stomach, hands pressing down on his shoulders.

“Had enough?” Kyo asked between breaths.

“For now.” Haru – White Haru - replied. They lay there for long moments, regaining their senses, dripping sweat and staring into the other’s fierce eyes.

“HATSUHARU!!” Tohru shouted across the yard. They separated quickly, and Kyo got up off of his cousin, stalking off to the shower, leaving Haru to be chastised by the very angry girl.

“What do you think you’re doing, scaring poor Kisa like that?!”

“I’m sorry. I was…upset by something that Yuki said to me.”

“Don’t apologize to me, apologize to her! What am I supposed to tell her when she comes running to me because ‘otou-san’ is scary? Tell her that it’s just his other personality? She doesn’t understand Hatsuharu! You can’t do things like this to her!” She practically shouted at him.

“I know. I’ll go apologize, tell her…the truth.”

“That would be a good start. I managed to calm her down, convince her that you weren’t really angry with her. She’s lying down in our room.” She informed him.

“Thank you.” He said with deep meaning and started for the house. Trudging up the stairs, he thought about what he was going to tell her. Then he remembered her reaction. It made his heart twinge in pain, to think he could have really scared her – possibly even harmed her if it had been any worse, when he was that angry. Taking a deep calming breath, he knocked softly before opening the door.

“Kisa? Can I talk to you?” He asked, walking over to sit next to her on the bed. She had looked up when the door opened, her beautiful brown eyes red and puffy, tears still leaking from them; but turned away once she saw who it was, burying her face into the pillow.

“Kisa?” She shook her head, not wanting to answer, and turned so she was facing the wall. “Okay, I understand. You can just listen then. I want to apologize for yelling at you earlier. I was very angry, but you didn’t deserve to be a victim of it. I get like that sometimes when I’m really upset or angry. You see, before, Yuki-kun and I had an argument. He wanted me to leave – to go with him to another town far from here. I told him that I couldn’t. I have responsibilities, the biggest one being taking care of you. He got mad, told me he didn’t care; least of all about you. That you sickened him, that he hated you.”

Kisa looked up, surprised to hear this. She had known that Yuki-kun hadn’t liked her, but she never thought that he hated her.

“That’s what made me so angry. I hurt him, and then trashed Kyo-kun’s room. I needed to have an outlet, which is why Kyo-kun fought me. I’m really sorry. I won’t ever yell at you again. I promise.” Kisa sat up and hugged him tightly.

“Does Yuki-kun really hate me?” She asked softly.

“Yeah. Yeah he does. He jealous because I love you so much and I don’t love him.”

“I feel sorry for him.”

“Why’s that, hun?”

“Because no one will ever love him because he doesn’t love himself.”

Pulling her into his lap, he reflected on her words. How true, he thought.

“Otou-san?”

“Yes, sweetie?”

“I love you.”

“I love you too, Kisa.”

XXXXX

That night they discovered that Yuki had left and would not be returning. The rest of the occupants of the house almost seemed to breathe a sigh of relief. The mood seemed just that little bit lighter without Yuki’s dark cloud hanging around. Kyo and Aaya were certainly happy about that.

At dinner Kyo teased Kisa about being afraid of the frogs they had seen in the yard before when they had gone to the no–longer–secret–secret base to pick a few things for Tohru for dinner. Aaya told her about some of the interesting customers he’d had that day, and Shigure told them of how his nerve wracked editor had broken down this time. The dog found it to be much more amusing than anyone else though.

Life continued as usual, until they got the letter informing them that someone would be visiting quite soon.

XXXXX

(1) This is a real town. I was too lazy to find a map of Japan and find a town that was far away from both Tokyo and Kyoto, so I asked a friend if she knew any that also had colleges/universities that sorta thing. I picked this one.

A/N: The ending sucks. Yuki is only so mean in this chapter, because I feel he has become a useless character. There is no real part for him in this, and I’d really rather not write all his self anxiety. I do think his connection with Kisa in the manga is wonderful, but I’m still not a huge fan of his.

I can’t remember if I mentioned it before, but all the martial arts stuff is entirely made up out of my head, so if it sounds unrealistic, that’s because it is. So pretend it makes sense. Very sorry about that, but I have no clue, and it’s not something I can research easily.