Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Karing For Kisa ❯ Ritsu Visits ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own it, nor do I wish too.
Warnings: None that I can think of. OOCness.
 
XXXXX
 
 
It was a Thursday. And usually, it's a perfectly boring, normal sort of day; except this particular Thursday was different.
 
Ritsu was coming for a visit.
 
It had been quite a while since he had last visited, seeing as he thought his visit had been a great imposition on all. But apparently he had decided to come and see Kisa. So, taking the risk of being incredibly bold, he sent a letter, informing the Sohma household that he wished to visit the young tiger.
 
When Shigure read the letter he was quite surprised that they would be getting another visit from the monkey. As were the others once they heard the news.
 
“Ritchan-san's coming to visit?” Tohru asked in astonishment. “That's wonderful! How long will he be here?”
 
“It says he wants to stay for a day or two.” Shigure replied.
 
“I'll set up Yuki-kun's old room for him!” She claimed, then Kyo spoke up.
 
“It'll be interesting to have him here, seeing how he hates to impose. When's he coming?”
 
“Tomorrow.”
 
“Tomorrow?! That's not a lot of time!” Tohru worried before rushing off to get things set up and do last minute cleaning. Shigure and Kyo smiled at her hectic rush, giving each other a `look'.
 
This was going to be fun.
 
XXXXX
 
The next afternoon Ritsu arrived with his bags, looking fully like he intended to spend the weekend. He even seemed comfortable in his khaki slacks and button down shirt, more confident to be out wearing this outfit than his former kimono.
 
“Tohru-kun! Thank you for letting me stay.” He said, carefully bowing. “It's not an imposition is it? You didn't have plans did you?” A worried look crossed his feminine features.
 
“We did in fact have plans,” Shigure stepped into the hall from his study. “We had to cancel them just for your visit.”
 
“W-What?! I'm sorry!! So very sorry! Please forgive me! I only wanted to visit my family!!” Ritsu moaned in complete distress, falling to his knees and starting to cry. “Why?! Why do I cause such torment wherever I go?!?”
 
Tohru stood shocked, large eyes going even wider. “N-No! It's f-fine! We didn't have plans! He doesn't mean it!” She tried to reassure him, unsure if he could even hear her over the wails he was emitting.
 
The cries suddenly stopped. “A-Are you sure? It's okay for me to be here?”
 
“Yes, it's perfectly fine! Please, ignore him.” Tohru said, offering him a hand up from the floor.
 
Standing again, Ritsu rubbed his wet face across his sleeve, looking dejectedly at Shigure, who just smiled at the expression of utter woe on his cousin's face.
 
“Good to see you Ritsu. Tohru's prepared Yuki-kun's old room for you.” Shigure said, completely disregarding his earlier actions.
 
“Ah! Thank you very much Tohru-kun!” He bowed again, and followed Tohru up the stairs with his bag. Shigure returned to his study, and Tohru went about starting dinner after once again reassuring Ritsu that it was okay he stay in that room.
 
She was just stirring the noodles for the udon, when Haru, Kyo and Kisa came in from the yard, Kisa having dragged them out there earlier in the afternoon to play a game or three.
 
“Has Ritsu-chan arrived yet?” Haru asked, kicking off his shoes at the back door.
 
“Yes! He just arrived and is getting settled upstairs.” Tohru informed him.
 
“Any dramatics yet?” Kyo asked this time.
 
Tohru frowned. “Shigure was teasing him, telling him that we had to cancel several plans for his visit. I convinced him rather quickly that everything was fine.”
 
Haru and Kyo laughed, then left Tohru and Kisa in the kitchen, presumably so they could go bother Ritsu some more. Kisa watched them leave, never seeing them get along so well as they had today, before setting the table before dinner was finished. A few moments later, Ritsu ran in, looking very perplexed.
 
 
“Tohru -kun! They said that you were down here, slaving away and that I had made tons of extra work for you! I am so sorry! I won't eat! I'll just sit and not do anything! I'M SO SORRY I'M ALIVE TO CAUSE SUCH PAIN!! He screeched, his kimono already back in place and his new found confidence completely shattered by his cousins.
 
“Ritchan-san! It's okay! It's only a little extra, not a problem at all!” Tohru stammered, trying to calm the monkey down, her own nerves being to fray.
 
“Ritsu-chan?” Kisa spoke up, “You will eat dinner won't you? Onii-chan is a really good cook, and she would be upset if you got sick from not eating.”
 
Tears and anguished moans stopped as Ritsu stared down at the little tiger. “Oh. Uh - Uh, yes. I'm sorry. I will eat.” He turned towards Tohru, giving a little bow. “I apologize. I do not mean to insult your cooking. Of course I will be delighted to have some.”
 
Tohru looked a little stunned, but bowed in return and accepted the apology although she hadn't even been offended.
 
Without any other incidents, Tohru managed to get dinner on the table, even when Ritsu insisted on helping with the cooking. With everyone gathered around, it only offered more opportunity to rile up the monkey, even Ayame who displays quite feminine traits daily, enjoyed teasing his cousin.
 
“So Ritsu, why are you here?” Shigure asked once they had settled down a bit.
 
The monkey looked a little flustered as he thought of an answer. “Uh…um. Just wanted to visit everyone. It's a little weird at the main house lately.”
 
“So we're just an excuse to get out of the nuthouse, ne?” Shigure asked, bringing a flush to Ritsu cheeks.
 
“N- no. Not just an excuse. I wanted to meet Kisa too.” Ritchan-san stammered, not meaning to have offended his family.
 
“Don't worry so much.” Ayame put in. “We don't mind the extra company. The more the merrier.” He sent what could have definitely been a seductive wink in the monkey's direction, causing the flush to brighten on Ritsu's cheeks.
 
“Ayame-chan is right. This is no problem at all. It's nice. Now, we just have to find something to do together tomorrow.” Tohru said. “It could be just you, Kisa and I, if you wanted.”
 
“That sounds good. Are we not invited too?” Shigure asked, trying to look innocent.
 
“I'm sure you all are busy with things. Now, where should we go?” Tohru said, trying to encourage a change in the subject.
 
“There's a festival being held in the park nearby for a couple days. You could go to that.” Haru suggested.
 
“Oh! That's a wonderful idea! Kisa's never been to one before! Tohru clapped, excited to have a plan now.
 
“A-A festival? Um… ah. It sounds okay. And-And it's not a problem for anyone, right?” Ritsu asked worriedly. The last time he had been to a festival - Let's just say it wasn't much fun.
 
 
Ayame turned to Shigure, “We all should go. As a family. Mine deserves a day off from the shop anyway.”
 
“I agree. It would be an experience for everyone. That's it then. We're all going to the festival tomorrow.”
 
“But-But…” Tohru tried to protest. The plan had been to not have any Ritsu dramatics. Now with Shigure and even Ayame coming, her own nerves were sure to be frayed too.
 
XXXXX
 
Tohru knelt next to Kisa, carefully dressing the younger girl in the kimono that Ayame and Mine had made for her for special occasions. It was a pretty pale yellow that complimented her hazel eyes and light brown hair, printed with orange tiger lilies. Tying the final part of the orange silk sash, Tohru stood, straightening her own light pink kimono. Checking both of their images in the mirror, the older girl was satisfied with their appearances and they went down to where everyone else was waiting.
 
Ayame was dressed in one of his usual outfits, this one only differing in the fact that it was more extravagant. Made of silk and dark colours, it contrasted beautifully with his pale features and silver hair.
 
Shigure - unlike everyone else - looked the same as he did everyday. Kyo was looking grumpy, not at all wanting to be a participant in this outing. His dark blue yukata made his eyes look like they were burning with displeasure. Hatsuharu went simple like Kyo and was dressed in a black silk yukata with white designs bordering the edges.
 
And Ritsu…
 
Ritsu was very pretty in his sky blue kimono with lilies printed on it. He definitely wasn't comfortable in a place with hundreds of people dressed as a man.
 
“Everybody ready?” Ayame asked, standing to find his shoes once all had given some sort of an affirmative answer, whether it be a “yes”, a grunt, or a nervous stammer.
 
 
XXXXX
 
Kisa looked around the festival with large eyes. There were so many things to do, and try, and the food smelled so delicious!
 
She clung onto Haru's hand, not wanting to get lost in the crush of people all around her. He squeezed her hand gently in reassurance, smiling down at her.
 
“Is there something you want to do?” Haru asked her, seeing as she was caught up in everything.
 
Kisa looked around at a few of the nearest booths that had been set up. “There,” She pointed. “Can we see the paper cranes?”
 
“Sure.” He said. Once she was allowed, she quickly dropped his hand and went over to the booth. He followed after, making sure he didn't lose her in the crowd. The little tiger watched eagerly as the women in charge made the cranes, paying careful attention.
 
The Crane lady asked Kisa if she would like to try making one herself, she nodded, and choose a rose colored square from the papers the lady offered. She first folded it in half, then stopped and looked over her shoulder at Hatsuharu.
 
“Otou-san, you have to make one too!” She told him.
 
“I do?” She nodded that he did. “Well, okay. Suppose I could try.” He stood beside her, and chose a red paper for his crane. Haru folded his crane expertly, the skills of paper folding he had learned as a child coming back to him. Kisa followed his folds, but had to stop to get help sometimes when it wasn't going right. When they finished, hers was a little lopsided, but quite good for the first one she had ever done. Haru's had turned out perfect, and he offered it to her in an open hand.
 
“Here. For good luck.” Kisa took it from the ox gently, not wanting to crush it accidentally.
 
“I want to show Onii-chan. Where is she?” She asked.
 
“Hmmm. I think she might be with Ritchan-san. Shall we go look?”
 
“Yes, yes! I can show Ritchan-san too!” She burbled excitedly. He
 
 
Haru laughed. “Okay, let's go then.”
 
XXXXX
 
They found the monkey and other girl watching dancers perform a ceremonial dance near a small stage area that had been set up for the performers. Haru and Kisa watched the dancers with the other two, admiring the fluid movements and costumes of the dancers. After the performance ended, Tohru turned and asked if anyone would like to stop for lunch now, Haru and Kisa agreed, while Ritsu stumbled through something that might have been a yes.
 
They found a stall that sold several things they all liked, and ran into Kyo there, who feel into step beside Haru. The ox said something to him that caused the cat to glance around quickly before replying in a hushed tone. Watching them, it looked like they were fighting, and the two were soon interrupted by Kisa. She tugged on Kyo's sleeve, trying to get his attention.
 
“Kyo-kun! Look at what Otou-san made me! Isn't it pretty?” She asked, holding out the little red crane for his inspection.
 
Kyo looked down, seeming a little nervous that she was right there. He wondered if she had maybe over heard them; as he bent down to have a closer look at the crane she held so carefully.
 
“It's very pretty. You've very lucky to have Hatsuharu-kun take care of you, you know that right?” A sad look crossed the cat's features as he spoke, brushing Kisa's bangs out of her eyes.
 
“Yeah, I know.” She replied, smiling at him.
 
“Good girl. I'll see you later, okay?”
 
Kisa nodded as he stood up again. He gave her a sad smile, then walked away towards another part of the festival, as Kisa was dragged off to go see more of the beautiful things in the park.
 
“Onii-chan? Why is Kyo-kun acting all weird and sad?” Kisa asked the older girl, thinking she would know.
 
“Hmmm? Oh. I didn't notice him acting oddly. Maybe it's going to rain?” She looked up at the clear, cloud free sky.
 
“Or not.” Haru came in with. “He's just a little angry about Yuki-kun not being here anymore. Nothing for you to worry about hun.”
 
“Why? I thought it was good that Yuki-kun left. He was so mean to Kyo-kun.”
 
Haru knelt down to look her in the eyes. “Hey, hey. What's with all the questions today, hmmm? Let's go check out a little more of this festival, then we'll go home, okay?”
 
“Okay.” Kisa murmured, looking down and scuffing her sandals in the dirt.
 
“Good.” Haru smiled, and stood, taking her hand as they began to walk around again. Kisa looked back over her shoulder to where Kyo had disappeared, but there was nothing. Sighing a little, she followed her father figure around until they left. Completely exhausted, she fell asleep watching the fireworks and slept in Hatsuharu's arms as he carried her home.
 
XXXX