Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Light in My Life ❯ Spirits ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hmmm... I must be asking for an early death, writing fics. Ah, well, inspiration knows no bounds.

The Light in My Life

1: Spirits

The house would never be the same again. There were no eerie silences, no uncomfortable moments, no hard feelings; it was just different than it had been before. The four members of the household sat around the table, the light clicks of chopsticks the only sounds that could be heard.

Summer was beginning. They would have one month of freedom from school, one month before starting their next semester and becoming seniors at Kaibara High School. None of the four companions knew what to expect, and could only watch and wait.

Tohru sighed, causing the three boys to raise their eyes and give her a questioning look. She smiled. "It is nice that we are all together," she said, lifting some rice to her lips with her chopsticks. Shigure grinned at her.

"My little flower always has the nicest things to say," he commented brightly. Yuki and Kyou gave him irritated expressions, and he quickly waved one hand to diffuse them. "Dinner tonight was wonderful, Tohru-kun." She smiled in response.

"Thank you, Shigure-san. I hope the miso soup was not too clear!" Yuki shook his head.

"On the contrary, Honda-san. I couldn't see anything," he assured her. Tohru gave him a radiant smile, and Kyou suppressed the urge to kick his rival beneath the table, but then the mouse would probably accuse him of playing footsie.

The rest of the meal continued in silence, until the three men admitted that they were full and had finished off the last of the food. Tohru took the plates to the sink while each one thanked her and left the room.

Shigure hovered for a moment, watching her carefully wash each plate, dry it, and set it aside. Without realizing it, she had spent the entire meal with her apron still on, but the dog had stopped worrying about her overworking herself long ago. She did it whether or not anyone made a fuss, and the men had come together to slowly ease down her work level. It was working. Tohru no longer went off her rocker when she had gotten behind in her chores or forgotten some minute detail.

Shigure walked over to her, standing beside her in front of the sink until she noticed him.

"Shigure-san! I hadn't noticed you! I'm sorry," she apologized. He shook his head.

"It's no problem. You're busy," he replied, but refrained from leaving. "Would you like some help with that?"

Tohru looked at him and blinked, then quickly shook her hands. "No, I couldn't ask that of you!" she insisted with alarm, turning off the running water and using her body to shield the sink.

"You don't have to ask it, I'm volunteering," he countered. Tohru watched him for a moment, before turning the water back on.

"I won't inconvenience you," she said calmly. Shigure blinked, then smiled. "If you really want to help, I'd really like a helper to dry these plates for me." He nodded and quickly set to work, arming himself with a drying towel.

Honda Tohru was never part of the plan. Shigure withheld a sigh as he casually wiped the plate he had been handed. He always wondered if it had been better if she had never walked by their house that morning two years ago, admiring his Jyuunishi figurines. It would have been infinitely better for her, but Shigure knew somewhere that the Sohma family would have been forever locked in their own deep, dark secrets and miseries without her. Tohru's eternally bright spirit put the light in their lives.

This time, Shigure allowed a sigh to escape as he paused in his drying. Tohru turned to him. "Shigure-san?" she asked quietly. He looked at her, and smiled.

"We are happy that you are here, Tohru-kun," he told her. She blinked, then grinned. She rarely looked as carefree as she did right then, and Shigure felt his stomach flutter. Yes, they were definitely better with her around.

"I am happy to be here, too." At that particular moment, the door opened abruptly. Kyou entered the room, looking annoyed as usual. "Hello, Kyou-kun!" Tohru greeted. Kyou paused and looked at her, then scowled darkly at Shigure. The dog felt the hair on the back of his neck stand up; the boy was aggressively protective of Tohru, and it alarmed him at times.

"What is that dog doing in here?" Kyou growled, grabbing the milk from the refrigerator and taking a long swig directly from the carton.

"Oh, Shigure-san? He offered to help me with the dishes!" Tohru replied happily. Shigure nodded in response, which caused Kyou to glare even more sourly.

"Just discussing wedding plans with my young bride!" Shigure said daringly. He ducked, a much practiced technique. Kyou's fist sailed over his head, and Tohru had to move to one side to avoid intercepting with any of the cat's other dangerous limbs.

"Ah, Kyou-kun!" she said, quickly distracting Kyou while Shigure made his getaway across the room. Kyou glared at her for a moment, before realizing that he was no longer facing off with the older man and was instead hearing Tohru's voice. "I have some sugared strawberries. Yuki and I grew them. Would you like some?" Kyou blinked, the nodded. Tohru grinned and immediately got him a small bowl of them.

Shigure watched from the corner where he was seeking refuge at the display. The brash, temperamental animal could instantly be diffused by one word from Tohru, and it never ceased to amaze him. He stood up, briefly announcing his departure before leaving the kitchen.

He would have to get over it. Shigure felt age, although he was no more than 28 years old. The teenagers were always so active and energetic, while he felt worn out by many stressful years. He walked slowly down the hallway, stopping in front of his office. Looking inside, he was confronted by papers covering the floors and desk, so he decided to pause and stand idly in the hallway. Tohru made him feel young; he liked her for it. It was a shame he was too old for her and too proud to go for her despite the age difference. It was enough for him that she was around, but he knew that as soon as she graduated, she would insist on burdening them no longer. Not that she was a burden, but it wasn't appropriate for a full grown woman to live in a house with three other equally full grown men.

She would have to leave sometime. Shigure just hoped it was later rather than sooner.

As he pondered, he failed to notice Tohru walking towards him. She lightly tapped him on the shoulder, and he nearly jumped out of his skin.

"Shigure-san?" she asked. "I'm sorry for startling you." Shigure shook his head.

"That's no problem at all. What can I help you with?" he smiled brightly, covering his mask of pensiveness. She saw right through it, of course.

"Are you alright? You looked thoughtful earlier and you seemed to be a little sad just now," Tohru replied, looking a little forlorn. Whenever one of her housemates was unhappy, she was too. It was her own little curse, Shigure thought with a frown.

"I'm quite alright, Tohru-kun. Just thinking." She looked at him for a moment, her eyes unusually thoughtful and probing. Shigure turned to his office, opening the door and stepping inside. Tohru moved to stand in front of the doorway, and Shigure looked at her for a moment. He smiled. "Forgive this old man for his actions."

He leaned forward, and lightly placing a kiss on her cheek, closed the door. Tohru stood, her eyes wide, her face suddenly lighting on fire.

She put a hand on her cheek, lightly touching the place his lips had touched her. It was such a friendly, caring kiss, a smile quickly spread across her face. With a whistle and a spring in her step, Tohru trotted back into the kitchen.