Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Light in My Life ❯ Tempers ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Keep up the great reviewing. ô_ô

8: Tempers

Tohru stared with wide eyes at Kyou. His orange hair was bristling, and his fists were clenched at his sides.

"Kyou..?" she asked nervously as she stepped off the porch and onto the grass. He lunged at her, grabbing her shoulders in his hands.

"Are you insane?!" he shouted. Tohru's eyes flew wide, and she raised one hand in hopes of quieting him. She felt no desire to wake Akito or Hatori.

"Kyou..."

"Don't 'Kyou' me! What are you doing here?!" Kyou demanded louder. Tohru tried to pat his arm again in hopes of calming him, but it only infuriated him further. "You lied to us!" he cried, his muscles coiling from rage and hurt.

Tohru shivered, her eyes clenching. She had never seen him this mad before. This wasn't scolding or despair; it was simple anger. Simple, dangerous anger. She felt her arms begin to go numb under the enormous pressure he was applying to her shoulders, and her head began to swim from fright and confusion.

Tohru raised her eyes, which were brimming with tears. "I'm sorry!" she burst suddenly, tears streaming down her face. "I didn't want to worry you! I wanted to-"

"I don't care what you wanted to do! You put yourself in danger by being here alone!" he cried back at her. His lip rose, and he swallowed heavily at the tears flowing freely from her bright green eyes.

"I'm not alone..." she whispered. "I'm sorry, Kyou-kun." She looked at him, sincere and apologetic in every meaning of the words. Kyou felt his anger melting away, but he kept a look of frustration on his face.

"We're going home," he growled, grabbing her hand roughly. Tohru let out a squeak, and he immediately faced her, dropping her wrist.

"But, Akito-san..." she said quietly. She looked back at the doorway, stepping towards it.

Kyou hovered for a moment. Looking at her passionate, tear-streaked face, he felt his insides churning and immense self-hate rising. He had completely blown his top, and at the most innocent, faultless person in his life.

"Tohru," he said, attracting back her attention.

"Please forgive me, Kyou-kun... I knew you and Yuki-kun would be worried and-" Kyou put his hand under her chin, lifting it.

"Why are you here? Why did you lie to us?" he asked, his voice strained. The moment he had weaseled Tohru's whereabouts from the cornered and cowed Shigure, Kyou had sped like a bullet from the house, his wrath tumultuous inside him. He wasn't angry at Tohru... he was angry at his only friend being usurped from him. And he had taken it out on her, of all people.

Tohru lowered her head, her hair falling in front of her eyes. "Last time I saw Akito-san, he was so angry, so sad..." she turned, lifting her hand to her mouth. "I wanted to try to... try to help him before he died..."

Kyou stepped back, looking upwards. It figured completely. "I'm sorry!" Tohru said again, looking pale and slightly frantic. She always panicked when she did something remotely wrong, or when someone close to her was angry. Kyou looked back at her, shyly patting her shoulder.

"Calm down... I should not have yelled..." he was still remarkably hoarse, straining from getting angry again. "Just come home." With that, he turned on his heel and left.

Tohru stood in the lawn, her eyes wide, her cheeks red from crying. Kyou disappeared into the trees as quickly as he had come, and the girl was completely bewildered. She felt terrible, her heart rising into her throat at the thought of betraying her two friends and causing such a disruption for them. She dropped her head, walking back up into Akito's room and closing the door.

She sat down lightly. "I have to leave. Please forgive me for not staying longer," she said. She didn't know if he heard her or not, but he gave no response. Tohru stood up, lifting the bag beside her. She paused for a moment, then walked over to the desk. Setting down the bag, she looked over at Akito. "I suppose Hatori will find this... I hope you like them."

Tohru walked out through the door, wiping her face before closing it. She saw Hatori still asleep, and walked down the hall in silence, her head low. Hatori had one eye open, and he sighed. The confrontation outside had been enough to wake the dead, but nothing could wake Akito at this point, so he hadn't been very worried. He hoped Kyou could convince Tohru into going home and not coming back, and he wasn't sure what the verdict had been.

He opened the door, walking into the room. It was useless to request entrance to Akito, or even announce it. He noticed the bag on the desk, and raising one eyebrow, lifted it and parted the two canvas handles.

Inside was a small black bento box, a cute comic book, a toy piccolo and some other childish things. There was an art book pressed against the side of the bag and two summer-books were crammed in beside it. Hatori set the bag back down; he would have to contact Tohru about returning it.

***

Tohru came inside the house quietly. She had taken her time walking home, her thoughts flying in every direction. She took off her shoes in the entryway and padded in her socks towards the table, where the late morning sun was streaming inside in long, golden strips. She knew where to find Kyou.

Tohru walked slowly up the stairs, unsure of what to think or expect. She had never seen Kyou act that way before or be that genuinely angry... he had scared her. It had been so wrong to lie to them, so wrong to defy...

Her thoughts were interrupted when she found herself peeking over the ladder that led up to the roof. Kyou was lying on the shingles, legs crossed, arms folded behind his head. He was staring thoughtfully at the sky, and Tohru almost felt guilty about disturbing him.

Kyou lifted his head, obviously having noticed her as soon as she appeared. Tohru climbed onto the roof, keeping her eyes on the shingles. She jumped when she felt Kyou's warm hand on her own.

"I can't stop you from doing what you want to do. Just... be careful." He lifted his usually cold, angry red eyes. Tohru blinked at his worn and cautious face. Kyou lifted one lip in a small, lopsided, cynical grin. "Please, if anything, for me."

"Kyou... It is something I have to do," Tohru told him in a quiet voice. Kyou nodded slowly.

"You're important to us. We don't want to lose you... I don't want you to suffer the same pain we have had to," he said, gripping her hand in his. He raised his eyebrows and smiled slightly.

"I'm sorry, Kyou," Tohru said, lightly taking her hand away. "I feel this obligation in my heart," she touched her chest, "and I must fulfill it." She stood up, crouching to walk down the ladder.

"Tohru!" Kyou called. Tohru lifted her head over the roof. "You won't leave us, will you?"

Tohru smiled and shook her head. "No. Not now, anyway. I'll be here as long as you need me." With that she disappeared.

***

"Are you sure it's alright to be here?" Hatori asked. Tohru gave him a questioning look.

"Why wouldn't it be?" she countered, rather boldly. Hatori furrowed his brow.

"Well... you left in such a hurry yesterday..." Tohru raised her eyebrows. "Er, I mean, I didn't see you go..." Tohru shook her head.

"I already know everyone heard Kyou yesterday. I... I sorted it out. Thank you very much for your concern, Hatori-san." Tohru bowed, walking past him down the hallway toward Akito's room. She had woken up early to cook breakfast especially for the cat, and then parted for the main house. She was definitely getting much needed exercise, walking back and forth every day.

Momiji had greeted her at the front gate, seeming slightly more cheerful. Tohru knew that many of the Honke's residents had overheard Kyou's outburst, and Momiji's enthusiasm reinforced that assumption. She had passed through the courtyard towards Akito's villa and had accidentally bumped into Ritsu. He had apologized profusely before Tohru managed to calm him down.

"Ri-chan-san!" Tohru had said with a grin. Ritsu smiled back, straightening his white shirt and tie. "You appear so business-like. Where are you going, looking so handsome?" Ritsu immediately blushed.

"I got a nice job downtown," he replied, his outside happiness crushed by the darkness of the main house. He had smiled rather sadly before turning and departing.

"You left your bag here as well," Hatori called, just as she went to open the door. Tohru raised her eyebrows. "It's still inside."

Tohru nodded, opening the door and closing it behind her. "Good morning, Akito-san," Tohru said, bowing before taking her canvas handle bag off the desk. She set it beside her, kneeling a foot or two away from Akito's bed. He remained silent and unmoving, and Tohru assumed the same status.

She watched the uneven rise and fall of his breaths, and felt her mind wandering. Tohru lifted a smaller bag off her shoulder, taking out a thin, scratched skirt and a small, portable sowing kit. She set about to fixing it, her skilled fingers weaving and repairing the injured cloth. She barely noticed when she began to hum, lightly singing a song her mother had taught her when she was younger.