Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Light in My Life ❯ Outings ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

20: Outings

I stood in the hallway, turning over my keys in my hand. They clanked against one another as I waited in the dark passage.

I was milking Tohru's good heart for everything it was worth, that's what I was doing. I was reveling in what she could give me. She didn't fear making me angry every second, and was always perfectly willing to be herself; this, in itself, amazed me. She never talked so quickly that she ended up with her foot in her mouth, and she was always willing to please.

But this wasn't a God-fearing type of pleasing... it was the good-hearted kind. The kind that came from a person truly concerned about what they did, and always tried to their fullest potential to make things well for everyone.

Tohru had returned to Shigure's house to do some cleaning, cook dinner for the ungrateful animals, and assure them she was just going out to dinner with Hatori, of all people. It, sadly, had been my suggestion. As much as I wanted to rub the fact I was taking their girl out to dinner in their faces, it just wasn't the right time. That much, I knew. Even as how I wanted so badly to show them my greatness once and for all, I was rather shy of making that kind of decision for Tohru.

Suddenly, I had become concerned about her welfare. It was disturbing. I tossed my keys and caught them, glancing again at the clock. I had told her I would arrive at 8 o'clock, giving her enough time to deal with the dog and his housemates before joining me. Hatori had objected vehemently to my driving again after such a short time, but I was insistent upon picking up Tohru like a gentleman. I doubted she had ever gone on a date before, and although I was sure she didn't think of my offer as one, I decided to do it in style.

Besides, the last time I had ever driven to see her was to torment her. I nodded slowly. That had been a gratifying moment in my life. Tohru had finally broken; finally succumbed to my will. The kind, valiant girl could be brought to her knees, and it would make a great lesson to the rest of the Jyuunishi. I just wanted to get some personal gratification out of her deteriorated state.

It was an uncomfortable thought, but I didn't mind. My recent past I let exist, without regrets for things I had done. I did them with a rational feeling in control, and I knew there was nothing I could to change them; so it was best to not dwell upon their more negative aspects. I had gained what I wanted at that time, and I wouldn't have done them any other way. That was how things were.

It was time to leave. I took my car key in between my fingers and opened the door, stepping out into the night. I had changed into a more formal haari, and I adjusted my sandals as I opened the black door of my vehicle. It was an old car, but a good one. It was also in excellent condition due to its rare use.

I had only been to Shigure's house a few times. Once had been to find Tohru, who was lost somewhere in the woods looking for her beloved, ugly cat. Other times I had come to see the house or speak with the dog. He was the only one truly faithful to me; his ideals were the same as mine, although he disguised his intentions much differently than myself.

I waited with my headlights on for some time, before I saw the door open. They would probably expect "Hatori" to get out of the car and greet them, but that would be impossible because of the doctor's absence from the vehicle itself. Tohru stepped outside, a scarf around her neck. She wore a cute dress which reached just above her knees, and her hair swished as she walked.

I saw the front fusuma close, and I pushed my door open. I walked around the car to where Tohru approached me. She bowed lightly to me and I nodded my head. I opened the door for her, and she smiled widely at me in appreciation. She was so easy to please.

I got inside the car again on my side, starting the engine. "Thank you so much, Akito-san," she began. "It was totally unnecessary to take me to a nice place to eat. I could have made dinner, but I really enjoy spending time with Akito-san." Although she spoke almost too quickly for me to understand, I managed to catch her main points.

I shook my head. "Don't worry so much," I instructed. Tohru nodded, and tried valiantly to keep back a smile.

***

It had been a tough chore convincing Kyou and Yuki that it was alright for Tohru to go out with Hatori for one night. Even if it wasn't really Hatori, it was a lie Tohru was forced to tell them... indefinitely. She hated lying to her two best friends, but it was necessary, she knew. They would never have even let her leave the house if they knew she was going to dinner with Akito, in a car driven by Akito. It was unheard of.

So, she had told them another lie: Momiji was coming along, and she was only going to get Hatori out of the house. If she had been going with the dragon, then the second part would have been true. That satisfied her, although the rest went against her very nature. She never deceived anyone, but this time, she felt it in her bones that there was no other way.

Tohru had felt like a princess when a black car pulled up in front of the house for her. It was an exhilarating feeling, sitting in the leather seat next to Akito. She felt nervous, if the lump in her throat and the butterflies in her stomach were any indication. But, at the same time, she felt calm and at home as they passed tree after tree on the way into town. She had no urge to flee, no nervousness about being there next to Akito himself.

And it was a pleasant way to be.

The silence in the car was a comfortable one, where each of them were lost in their own thoughts. But this tranquility came to an abrupt halt as the car pulled in to a parking lot, and the sound of music could be heard.

The restaurant was a sushi traditional, and Akito got them a large booth near the bar.

"Tohru...-san," Akito said, still managing her name. Tohru glanced up, smiling brightly as she took off her scarf. "What is school like?"

Akito was indeed curious; he had never attended school himself. Instead, he had taken lessons from a personal tutor when he was younger, and then had ceased education altogether when he turned fifteen. Sometimes he would ask for a book of some kind to keep up to date on the world, but those were rare occasions.

Tohru closed her eyes, and an air of happiness radiated from her. "At school, I have my four best friends in the world," she began. "Kyou-kun and Yuki-kun are in my class again this year, and so are my best friends Uo-chan and Hana-chan." Akito raised his eyebrows. Slightly unusual names.

"I love Uo-chan and Hana-chan with all my heart. They were with me after my mother's death, and they still stick by me through everything. School is a great place! There are so many people to be friends with, and there's always so much happening." Tohru sighed in contentment.

Akito had never had friends. People were always scared of him, always needing something from him or trying to please him. There was no room for friends, only life, pain, and hatred existed for him. Tohru was her own little sun, and he could feel himself warming up just in her presence. She was so happy with so little; it almost made Akito feel selfish.

Tohru looked up at him. "What about Akito-san?" she asked. Akito stared at her for a moment.

"I didn't go to school." Tohru blinked, then nodded slowly and turned to ordering before changing the subject.

***

Shigure yawned, batting his mouth with one hand. He stood up from the floor, stretching his legs after long hours of sitting at his computer typing a manuscript. He paced across the room before opening the door and switching off the light.

He walked slowly up the stairs, stopping to yawn again every few steps. It was a long road to his bedroom, and he missed Tohru bidding him goodnight. Shigure had been rather surprised when Tohru told them Hatori was taking her out to dinner, but the dog--beside his regular dose of perverted comments--never even considered doubting her. He knew Hatori liked her, and probably just wanted to get out of the house for a little while. Akito was a burden for anyone, Shigure knew.

Flipping on the bedroom light, Shigure blinked as he saw headlights out his window. Reeling up his blinds, he watched with interest as the car pulled to a stop in front of the house. A formally dressed man stepped out of the driver's side and walked around to the passenger door, opening it to reveal Tohru. She smiled about something as the man led her to the house's front porch. It was far enough from Shigure's room that he could see them approach the main door, but they stayed there for a moment.

And it hit him. It was Akito. Shigure's eyes widened as he took a closer look; it was Akito all right. He had groomed hair and a well-managed, formal dress as he led Tohru by the arm. She was talking about something, then blushed and giggled when Akito put one hand on her mouth to keep her quiet.

If Akito's actions up to that point hadn't been enough to frighten Shigure, what happened next made him afraid to take a step in case the floor would give out for any unexpected reason. Akito bowed slightly, and taking Tohru's hand, kissed her knuckles. Leaving her blushing at the front door, he turned and walked back to the car with relative ease.

Shigure felt his eyebrows knitting together as a warmness rose in his face. Tohru was theirs. Not Momiji's or Haru's or Hatori's, and especially not Akito's. The beast had no right to even touch Tohru after the way he had treated her. As much as Shigure respected the clan head and understood his goals, such a twisted turn of events rubbed the grain in a bad way.

Akito was tempting the wrong dog.