Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Light in My Life ❯ Tears ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

23: Tears

Kyou wandered down the stairs, letting out a yawn. He had been napping pleasantly on the roof when he had heard a great commotion, and had eventually gotten himself up and down the ladder.

Shigure glanced up from where he still sat at the table, reading the same page of the paper as he had been reading ten minutes before. It's not that he was reading, per say, but using it as an excuse to bury himself in his thoughts.

Kyou stretched, glancing around. "Hey, where's Tohru and the kuso nezumi?" he asked, yawning again. Shigure stared at him.

"Yuki is rescuing Tohru from the evil clutches of Akito, where after he will claim her as his bride."

"Oh, I see." Kyou dazedly moved towards the kitchen, when he suddenly stopped in his tracks. His head made a creaking sound as he turned to face Shigure, who looked to be reading his paper again.

"WHAT?!?!?!"

***

Tohru fell onto the floor, released from Akito's grasp as she heard the sound of a door being opened roughly behind her. Eyes wide, she turned slowly to face the man standing in the doorway.

Yuki was frozen, one hand on the sliding panel, his other fisted at his side. His eyes were round and wide, and his grayish-purple hair was plastered around his cheeks and ears from slight sweat. He was still breathing slightly haggardly, but that wasn't what caused Tohru to burst into tears.

His face was of horror, shock, and hurt. She had never seen him in as much anguish as she did right then, and she felt something break in her chest when Yuki slowly lowered his head, his hand releasing the door and balling at his side.

At that moment, a rustle in the futon broke the miserable silence. Akito lifted himself painstakingly from the ground, his yukata hanging haphazardly from his body as he moved. Yuki began to shake as the other man kept their eyes locked. Akito took a step towards his younger counterpart, one long arm adjusting the haari around his shoulders. Tohru watched the whole thing with horror, fresh tears springing from her eyes as Akito advanced towards Yuki.

"How do you feel right now, my Yuki?" Akito asked, his voice dangerously sweet. He lifted one hand, brushing it along Yuki's face. Akito tilted his head, leaning in closer. "Does it hurt, my Yuki? Do you want to hurt me?" he crooned.

Tohru, unable to get to her feet, leaned forward enough just to grab the bottom of Akito's haari with one hand. He jerked at the sudden pressure, and turned to her with suddenly bright, angry eyes.

"Yuki-kun... forgive me..." she said quietly, closing her eyes as she tried to gather the strength to stand in her suddenly weakened legs. Akito unconsciously released the frozen Yuki's face, watching with narrowed eyes as his haari was pulled from his shoulders by Tohru.

"Tohru-kun," Yuki said quietly, drawing a lightning quick turn in Akito's head. "Come with me, please, Tohru-kun! This monster will only hurt you!"

There was a sudden sound of a hand colliding against skin. Yuki almost fell back from the force of the blow, grabbing the wall frame with one hand to keep himself from toppling to the ground. Tohru let out a small cry of surprise as Akito drew his hand back towards himself, cradling it as if he were the victim.

"Don't talk to her that way," he hissed. Yuki stared at the other man as he turned again, looking down at Tohru. Akito leaned over slightly, taking her hand off his coat and using it to pull her harshly onto her feet. He looked back at where Yuki still stood, one hand clutching his cheek.

"Yuki-kun," Tohru whispered, gaining the attention of both men. She stepped forward, her eyes filling with tears. "I wanted to tell you... I should have told you..." she dropped her head, salty drops falling rapidly down her cheeks. Akito watched with a blank face as the girl covered her face with her hands, leaning over as she shook with sobs.

Yuki, ignoring Akito at the plight of his friend, move forward to comfort her. Akito lifted his head, his eyes drawing into slits as the other man stepped closer to Tohru; Yuki stopped for a moment, and turned his head away to avoid Akito's piercing gaze.

"Tohru-san," Akito said in a low voice, which was both calm and instructive at the same time. "Will you leave Yuki and I alone for a little while?" Tohru raised her head, staring at him with wide, tear-filled eyes. He kept his gaze fixed on her until she nodded in response and walked to the door, sliding it open. Taking one look at Yuki, she stepped out and closed it behind her.

Hatori watched as Tohru stood in the hallway, looking dumbfounded. He came up beside her. "Come on, Tohru-kun. Sit down and have something to drink," he said in his best comforting tone. Tohru nodded slowly, sniffing as she was led away.

***

This was my chance. I had achieved my means much faster than I had expected; my original plan was now working full force. I had succeeded in both reducing Tohru to tears and cornering Yuki, putting him just where I wanted him.

But somehow, it didn't feel gratifying in the least. I had never kissed in my life, and it was an experience I would never, ever forget. She had tasted of sweet things, of candy and fruit and sugar... but it had been so much more than that. She had willingly let me taste her, let me take a small piece of her innocence. And strangely, I felt as if I had received one of the greatest gifts she had to give.

But now, I had my ideal prey in my hands, and this time I wouldn't let him escape. He was mine for me to do with as I pleased, and just that I would do.

I walked towards him, feeling rather alarmed at the slow decrease of energy in my still fragile body. Yuki had his face turned away from me, his eyes shadowed as he propped one hand against his injured cheek. I took another step, but was halted suddenly as Yuki turned his face to me.

His eyes were narrow and deadly. He dropped his hand from his cheek, boring into me with his deep-set expression. "Tohru is too good for you," Yuki murmured in a low, malevolent tone, his dark purple eyes black with anger. I was surprised at his forward actions. He never talked back to me.

But he was possessed by something. He bowed lightly before turning and opening the door. I raised my eyebrows as he turned his head back to me. "If she is hurt in any way, I will kill you."

And he left. Just like that.

I had heard my life threatened before, but never so forcefully or with such sincerity. The Yuki I knew would never have left my presence without me clearly excusing him; the Yuki I knew would never have defended anyone else for any reason at all; the Yuki I knew would never have spoken to me the way he did.

But yet, it was Yuki. I thought I should have felt like my ingenious plan was just a failure, but it was so much more. I had lost the power I thought I had over the mouse, the power I thought bound him to me and my purposes forever. I leaned against the door, suddenly feeling my strength sapped from my body. I couldn't fight them any more.

They were winning, those damn animals. They were killing me, the one who bore the weight of their deadly curse. The one who protected them, only wanted for their happiness.

I heard the door open, and Tohru stepped in. Her wide green eyes were trained on me, and I realized that it was the biggest lie I had ever told. To myself and everyone else, it was the bane of my existence. The everlasting consolation to myself that I was a martyr for them, the God that selected the twelve animals of the Jyuunishi.

And I wasn't. Tohru's lip rose, and I saw her unable to hold back a sob. She covered her face in her hands, leaning over as she cried. And the only thing I thought to do for her and for myself was what I did.

I walked the two steps needed towards her, remembering her soft arms cradling me. I lightly brushed her hair out of her face. "Go back," I said quietly. She gulped down a sob as she raised her head, her eyes sparkling from their moistness. She hiccupped as I cradled her cheek in my palm, and I watched in fascination as tears slipped from her eyes when she closed them.

I drew one hand across her back, letting her face me when I pulled her against myself. A fresh bout of tears wracked her body as she fell against me, her arms unconsciously taking themselves around my waist. I inhaled the smell of her hair as I buried my face in it, the scent of berries overwhelming me. I cradled the back of her head with one hand, closing my eyes as she let free her tears into my chest.

***

Tohru stepped out of Akito's room, closing the door quietly behind her. He had held her in silence for some time, until telling her to go and see her "friend."

She walked down the hallway, her head drooping. She had never been in a situation like the one she was in before, and the thought of hurting one of her best friends constantly plagued her; the look on his face would haunt her dreams.

Tohru arrived at Hatori's door, and lightly knocked. She knew Yuki would not have left yet, and was probably with the Sohma family doctor right then. She waited as the door opened and Hatori assessed her from head to toe. Without a word, he ushered her inside.

Yuki sat on a couch, his eyes watching her from between his fingers, for his face rested in his upheld hands. The room was dark, and his purple eyes seemed to glow in the pale light. Tohru stepped cautiously past the doorway, her hands shaking at her sides as she reached for the lamp switch.

"Don't," Yuki commanded in a low voice. Tohru immediately dropped her hand, staring with wide eyes at him.

"I'm so sorry..." she said quietly, her voice choking with a restrained sniff. She looked down at her hands, closing her eyes. "I...-"

"I don't really want to hear it right now," Yuki interrupted as he got to his feet. He was struggling to hold back tears of his own, so he walked past her and out into the hallway. He opened the door and left the house, closing the door behind him.

Tohru collapsed to her knees, holding her face in her palms as she cried. Hatori kneeled down next to her and patted her back, not quite knowing what to do. Angry outbursts, he could handle, but crying girls were never his forte.

Hatori scowled as he thought back on what Yuki had told him. The rat had burst into the room, his eyes carrying a terrified and pained expression. He spoke a mile a minute, and it took Hatori a few moments to really find out what had happened.

He knew how close the two were--Yuki and Tohru--and he was silently cursing Akito for ruining what could have been their relationship. He never blamed Akito for anything the younger man did, but this was too outrageous for him to let go. Hatori lightly brushed some of Tohru's hair, standing up. He heard the door open, and knew Momiji would soon be in to comfort the girl, so he took the chance to leave the room without her noticing.

He walked stiffly down the hallway; he knew most of the extent of Akito's manipulative power, but this was too much. Hatori had already let happiness slip past him with Kana, and he wasn't going to let someone else's pain go unnoticed again.

He purposefully opened the door, opening his mouth to begin his lecture, when what he saw made his jaw slowly crank close. Akito sat against the far wall, his yukata loosely hanging around his shoulders. He had his hands tangled in his hair, and he slowly lifted his head when the door opened.

"What do you want?" he asked nastily. Rarely did he speak with real disdain in his voice; it was almost always disguised. But his lip curled in distaste, and his eyes were narrowed dangerously. Hatori took an unconscious step back, watching as Akito got slowly to his feet and advanced across the room.

Akito lifted one hand, suddenly grabbing Hatori by the collar of his white lab coat. The shorter man grit his teeth, glaring darkly at the doctor. "Don't let him hurt her," he hissed. Hatori's eyes widened as he was suddenly released, trying to decide whether he should be awed at Akito's sudden strength or the deep threat in his words. The sickly man paused as he walked away, turning to face Hatori. His hair hung in front of his eyes, and his voice was low and deep. "I don't care if she comes back or not... just make sure what happened doesn't... doesn't..." he stopped, turning his eyes away. "Break. She can't break." Akito looked back at Hatori, wrinkles appearing in his forehead as he furrowed his eyebrows. "Now get out."

Hatori nodded quickly, stepping into the hallway and closing the door none too quickly. He brushed some of his hair away from his eye, staring at the floor.

How could things have gone so terribly wrong so quickly?