Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Light in My Life ❯ Questions ( Chapter 25 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Again, I atone for my lateness by saying... I finally got my rear to the bookstore and bought all the new manga releases. Poch.

25: Questions

Tohru had been making dinner when the phone rang. Unable to get to it, Shigure had answered it for her. There was an uncomfortable silence when he returned, his face stoic as he revealed the news. "Akito's dying. Quickly."

She had arrived and found him on the floor unconscious. Tohru had told him only what she knew; only what her heart had told her. Hatori had told her he was probably delusional when Akito had asked her to let him go. She knew he was trying to die, was trying to leave once and for all. And there was no way she could have avoided the incredible guilt she felt.

It was all her fault, after all.

Tohru sat against the wall, watching where Akito lay. Hatori had told her that physical and mental stress while still in the midst of fever had induced worse symptoms, and it was very likely that Akito would die in the night. She had her knees bent up to her chest, and her arms were wrapped tightly around them and herself as she watched him long into the night.

Hatori came in once every hour to take Akito's temperature and re-apply the cool cloth on his forehead. The dragon told Tohru that she was missing work--although Shigure had called her in sick--and that she would have to go home eventually. "I know, Hatori-san. Just a few more hours." It was the same every time he came back, so he had stopped asking. All he could do was bring her something for dinner and hope for the best.

The sun was rising when Tohru finally crawled across the room to where Akito lay unconscious in his futon. She lightly pushed on him, hoping that he would just open his eyes and wonder if maybe he had fallen asleep. She had no such luck. Tohru sighed and sat up, watching his face for a moment. "I told you that I wanted to know your feelings... that I wouldn't mind if you were angry. I really don't. I don't mind anything about you... I never have. Even if you think they would like to see you gone--Shigure-san, Yuki-kun, Kyou-kun, Kisa-chan, Hatori-san, Momiji-kun--even if they do, I don't. Just try! Please! To stay here, stay alive. I'll listen to all of your feelings, and you can be as angry as you want, or as sad as you want, and I won't mind! Really." Tohru lightly touched his face, turning her head into her elbow as soft, salty tears gathered beneath closed lashes. "I don't know how I feel about you yet... but I want to know everything about you, and I want to help you, and I want to always be here for you. Please, don't go."

Unable to hold back any longer, Tohru bent her head as she let out a muffled sob. She apologized through her tears, hoping to atone for anything, everything she had done that would make Akito want to leave.

A hand lightly brushed her cheek; a feathery touch on her soft skin. Tohru opened her eyes, their emerald color focusing on the man who lay with a slight, sad smile. Tohru could only feel his hand lightly cupping her face as she wept.

"Tohru, Tohru, Tohru... you weren't meant to cry..." Akito's hand went behind her head, lightly pulling her down to the futon. She gave in without resistance, her sobs shaking her as she lay on top of the blankets beside him. Akito closed his eyes, drifting off to the sound of Tohru's fading sniffles.

***

Hatori opened the door, opening his mouth to tell Tohru it was time to go home and sleep. What he found was far from what he expected.

Akito lay on one side of his futon beneath a thick layer of blankets, while Tohru rested on the other side above them. She slept peacefully, her face slightly red from tears. Akito seemed asleep as well, and one of his hands rested lightly on Tohru's cheek. There was a strange peace in the room, and Hatori set down the tray he held and exited, unable to disturb the calm.

Momiji squeaked as Hatori almost stepped on him coming out the door. The tall man glared at the rabbit.

"Tohru-kun...?" Momiji asked, getting up and following Hatori down the hallway. The dragon sighed.

"Fine. I still don't know about Akito, though." Momiji nodded slowly, following Hatori away from Akito's room.

Kisa sat on the floor in Hatori's room, an anime video in one hand. She watched Momiji and the doctor enter, and quickly stood up.

"How are they?" she asked quietly, her large eyes wide and innocent. Hiro stood off to one side of the room, his arms crossed. The sheep insisted that he only came because Kisa was so worried, but it was obvious to everyone around him that he was slightly concerned for Tohru. Both were inquiring about her, but no one was able to give them answers.

Momiji looked at Hatori, and he could only shrug. He was too tired at that point to explain further, and retired to his private room without another word.

Kisa stood up, taking Hiro's hand in hers. "Momiji, tell Hatori to call us if Tohru comes out," she said quietly. Momiji nodded and watched as the two left the house.

He sighed, walking out after them. He kicked a rock down the path, watching as it skittered across the dirt and into the grass. Ritsu walked out from behind a row of trees, dressed in a mens' yukata--for a change. The monkey looked rather sullen compared to his usually excited demeanor as he approached Momiji.

In silence Ritsu patted the blonde boy's back, and they walked toward Hatsuharu's villa together.

***

Tohru's eyes fluttered open. Her sleep had been dark and black, and she had not dreamt once the entire night and morning. She felt a presence hovering over her and could feel a light touch on her face, a feeling which traced her cheek, nose, and lips.

Tohru let out a little whimper of clearing sleep as she finally opened her eyes, her vision blurring. "Shhh," came a comforting voice.

Tohru blinked, her eyebrows raising in surprise. Akito leaned over her, his finger running along the rim of her ear as he kept his eyes focused intently on her own. His face looked blank, and his skin was especially pale. A pair of his dark locks hung around his face, shadowing his eyes as he cupped her cheek in his hand.

"What is it about you that makes me need you?" Akito asked, his voice quiet. He tilted his head, the light coming in through the window illuminating his deep eyes. He looked at her with what could only be described as a quiet compassion.

Tohru lifted one hand, brushing a lock of his hair behind his ear. He kneeled sideways beside her, one arm supporting himself. His haari was gone, and his thin cotton yukata hung low on one shoulder. He brought his face closer, his eyes searching her face. "What is it about you that makes me unable to think of anything but you?" Tohru opened her mouth to respond, but Akito pressed one finger to her lips to silence her. "What is it about you that makes me care?"

Akito's face had come so close to her own that she could feel his breath on her lips. His dark eyes bore into her own, and she felt herself tremble slightly. Akito drew away, sitting back on both arms. Tohru slowly sat up, keeping her face down as it turned bright red with blush.

"Tohru." She glanced up, balking at the piercing look on Akito's face. He leaned in, narrowing his eyes.

"Y-yes, Akito-san?" Tohru asked nervously. Akito's eyes bore into her, and she felt herself unconsciously swaying towards him where she sat.

"Kiss me." Tohru let out a short gasp.

"B-but A-A-" she was silenced by Akito's hand on her mouth. She closed it, watching with wide eyes and a bright red face as Akito withdrew his hand, keeping his eyes trained on her.

"They love you, you know," he said in his sugar-sweet voice. Tohru raised her eyebrows. "The cat, the rat, even the dog and the rabbit." Akito shifted his eyes off of her for one moment. His brow furrowed, marring the pale perfection of his skin.

Unable to resist, Tohru reached out and lightly touched his forehead, smoothing it with one soft hand. Akito looked up, his eyes tainted only a bit with surprise. She smiled as the wrinkles there went away.

"You won't go away, will you?" he asked suddenly. Tohru blinked, then shook her head.

"I don't think so, Akito-san," she replied. Akito narrowed his eyes, peering closer at her.

"You don't think so?" A light flush returned to her cheeks, and she shook her head.

Akito lifted one hand, taking her chin in his fingers. "You don't think so? What happens when you figure out there's nothing here for you? What happens when you give and give, and get nothing?" His voice became more toxic as he spoke, but Tohru could only smile as his grip tightened.

"Then I will keep giving and I will keep staying," she replied. Akito jerked, releasing her face and turning away. His hair fell in front of his eyes, barring her view of him.

Tohru moved uncomfortably for some moments before she reached out, touching his bare arm with her outstretched finger. He flinched slightly, and turned to look at her. His eyes were narrowed, but she could see a brief sadness in them. "What is it about you that makes me want you?"

He put his hands to either side of her face, and Tohru could only close her eyes as their lips joined.