Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Light in My Life ❯ Mutes ( Chapter 29 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I almost didn't get this out today. I've been a little angry with some things lately, but I've got nothing really planned for tomorrow so I should be able to update at least twice, if I don't get stuck again.

29: Mutes

Akito sat with his eyes closed, holding a precious bundle in his lap. Her feet lay on the floor and her arms were curled at her chest. Her sobs had subsided as she fell into a deep sleep, and he absently rocked her in a gentle sway. His chin rested on her soft brown head and his arms held her securely, one around her shoulders and the other her waist, keeping her safely with him.

Tohru plagued his mind as he began to drift into his own sleep. He slowly lay down on her futon, unwilling to release her despite the many connotations it would have when or if someone found them in the morning. She was vulnerable and he was going to protect her; until when, he didn't know.

It wasn't Akito Tohru really needed. Rather, it was he who needed her. It wasn't teasing anymore, it wasn't playing, and it scared him. He wanted all of her, from her petal-soft brown hair to her sweet giggle. He wanted all of it, so that he could enjoy everything that was Honda Tohru for the rest of his life. It would be a wonderful existence.

Yes, that was it. Akito had finally submitted to it: to the fact that he had to have her. He wanted to keep her forever, not as a caged bird, not as a pet--like those animals--but as his own. What the reason for it was, he still couldn't bring himself to contemplate, because the design was too alien to him.

He wasn't ready just yet, and he was sure Tohru wasn't either.

***

Kagura walked down the hallway, moving with quiet steps along the wooden floorboards. She held another small hand in her own, one of a little, blonde girl with bright, light brown eyes. Kisa looked up at the older girl.

"Kagura-san?" she asked, her voice quiet and almost indiscernible even in the silence of the villa. Kagura stopped, glancing at the small girl.

"Yes?"

Kisa shuffled her feet. "Should we really be coming unannounced?" Kagura looked thoughtful for a moment.

"I'm sure Tohru-chan wouldn't mind, but I don't know about Akito. He's probably still asleep in his room," the older girl replied. Kisa still looked nervous.

"I miss oneechan, but I don't want to upset her," the tiger admitted. Kagura sighed and nodded slowly.

"All right then. We'll go wait for her, okay?" Kisa smiled brightly and they turned, walking back down the hallway.

"I'm sure oneechan would want to see Hiro-chan," she said. Kagura grinned and they stepped out into the courtyard.

To the two girls' surprise, Ayame waited outside. He stood beside a car--which was obviously not his own--and looked unusually nervous. Kagura raised her eyebrows as the snake avoided eye contact, keeping his eyes distant. As Kisa opened her mouth to say something, her older cousin lightly shushed her and they trotted together to their respective villa.

Ayame jumped as he heard a loud "a-HEM," behind him. Hatori stood on the other side of the car, tapping its hood. Ayame looked clearly relieved, exhaling loudly. The doctor raised his eyebrows at the strange response.

Ayame smoothed back some of his hair, straightening his red jacket. "What are you doing here?" Hatori asked in a monotone, examining the state of his friend.

"Ah, Tori-san, you see..." Ayame attempted to be his usually all-egotistical-smiles self, but he failed miserably. The snake let out a sigh, straightening himself. "You see, I have to see Akito."

Hatori's eyebrows jumped at that. Ayame never bothered to come to the main house unless it was solely to bother him, and he didn't know the snake's relationship with their clan head.

Ayame stood off the car and cleared his throat. "Do you know when I can see him?"

Hatori paused. "I'm not really sure," he replied truthfully. "There have been some difficulties lately." Ayame raised one eyebrow, his golden eyes immediately showing a familiar bright spark of curiosity. "Some dramatic events involving Honda Tohru."

Ayame stood back, his eyes widening. "...Tohru-kun?" he clarified. Hatori nodded.

"Akito ordered her to move into the Honke last night, and I haven't seen either of them since," he replied.

Ayame was rarely shocked. "Does my brother know about this?" the snake asked rather loudly. Hatori nodded slowly.

"Though I doubt it was a consensual agreement." Ayame kept his eyes fixed ahead, lightly brushing his face.

"This isn't good at all," he mumbled. Hatori watched with alarm as Ayame's face went even paler than usual.

"There may not be an opening with him for a few days still, if things are going to go the way I think they are," Hatori told him. Ayame glanced questioningly at his childhood friend. "That is one relationship I still don't understand. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go to my office quickly."

Ayame nodded and walked a few feet from the car as Hatori got in and started the engine. The snake's mind drifted away as the vehicle pulled out and left.

If there was no more Tohru at Shigure's house, there was no way he could have any words with his younger brother. It was Tohru who kept the boy from lashing out at him when they spoke despite the fact the relationship between them had gotten better in the previous two or three years.

Ayame raised his head as an idea hit him. Surely, Yuki was missing Tohru. Even though tensions in Shigure's house had been rising, Ayame knew his brother relied on the girl for stability and assistance in his everyday life; he wouldn't survive for long without her.

But the snake was in no position to help Yuki then; he had other matters to attend to. With a sigh, Ayame turned on his heel and walked back out of the main house without having accomplished anything.

***

I opened my eyes, a sweet, wonderful smell pervading my nose as soon as I gained consciousness. My vision was slightly blurry, but I blinked it away and felt my arm pinned beneath a weight. Glancing over, my mouth went dry as I took in Tohru's peaceful, sleeping face. She used my arm as a pillow, and my hand was wrapped around her shoulder as she rested, her own hand resting on my chest. Her brown hair fanned out around her face on the pillow and seemed to halo her already angelic countenance.

I sighed, drawing my free hand up along her face. "Tohru, Tohru," I mumbled. "Tell me why I have to have you near me. Tell me... what you really think of me." I lightly drew my arm out from under her so I wouldn't disturb her sleep so I could stand. I stretched, my yukata falling from its bunched position around my knees down to my feet where it belonged, where it gave me a heightened sense of relaxation. As I moved to open the door and let myself out, I heard a quiet voice.

"Akito-san?" I glanced over, watching as Tohru rubbed her eyes cutely with one fist before sitting up. I put my hand on the fusuma again, but I felt a light pressure on my yukata.

Tohru had the fabric balled in one hand, her eyes trained on me with a pleading look. Tears were quickly building in them, and I kneeled in front of her hoping to calm her nerves. She was already trembling.

I leaned forward, lightly kissing away a small drop of her sadness, her eyes focused on my own. I brushed a finger through her hair as she began to calm down, releasing my yukata in the process. I sighed, standing up again.

Tohru leaned over, burying her face in her hands. "Sumimasen, Akito-san," she said quietly. I stopped, glancing back at her. "Troubling you so early in the morning."

I shook my head. "It's not a trouble. I fell asleep here." She nodded slowly and looked away. I tried once again to open the door and leave, but I knew then that it was no use. "I..." I tried. It sounded so wrong and forced.

Tohru looked up, her green eyes moist. My head drifted to the side as I unfocused, tilting my head slightly to one side. There was no way to tell her... or more importantly, to ask her.

"I... Tohru, I want... I want you to..." I had never stuttered before in my life. I opened my mouth to continue, when the door was abruptly opened.

The maid jumped upon seeing me. She apologized profusely. "I should have knocked first... I forgot the lady was staying here," she said quickly, turning to flee. I only stared at her, then sighed.

"Get ready for school," I ground out, and abruptly left.