Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Lost My Sister in San Francisco ❯ Track Meets and Secrets ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A/N - 07/23/06 Okay, here I go. Chapter thirteen. Like my previous fic, this fic is prolly gonna have fifteen chapters too. Yup, it’s coming to a close already. In the next chapter it’ll prolly be the festival and then the last chapter...well...I have a little surprise for that one. Okay, so I’m sitting here. All I have is my laptop, my CDs, a bag of grapes, and my parent’s air conditioned room. (I live in south Texas, so it’s boiling hot outside.) Let’s see if I can write this chapter in one day or not.

----

The next morning, as everyone else got ready to go spend another day with Kasumi, Kyou and Kokoro stood alone in the hallway of the motel. Well, Kyou was standing. Kokoro was pacing back and forth in an angry mood. The night before she had called her parents back and it went as it usually did. Kokoro was angry because she still couldn’t go see them. It sort of annoyed Kyou, watching her go back and forth down the hall. He growled and grabbed her arm, making her stop.

“I’m walking my anger off.” She grumbled angrily, looking to him. There was a slight glare in her eyes. She really was in a bad mood.

But so was Kyou as he kept his hold on her arm. “You’re not walking, you’re pacing. And it’s getting annoying.” He sighed and let go. He still hadn’t told Kokoro how he felt, however he was supposed to do that. Well he had to say something. Anything. How was he supposed to ask her out? How did all this work, really? Was he just supposed to ask and get it over with or what? He’d just have to find out for himself. “Hey, wanna–?”

“Wanna go out sometime?” Kokoro boldly asked before Kyou could. She had been thinking almost the same thing as he was at the moment. She just got to speak up first. “I mean...you don’t have to.” She said, turning her face to the floor in embarrassment. “It’s just, well, we spend a lot of time together even if most of the time we have to drag our siblings around. But...well...um...”

Kyou sighed, but couldn’t help smiling as he watched Kokoro nervously explain her reasons for asking him out. It saved him the trouble of doing it though, right? With another small smile, he lifted her chin. “Sure, why not?”

Kokoro looked at him and smiled. She was so...so...she didn’t know what she was feeling. Her heart was pounding with excitement while her stomach transformed into a million fluttering butterflies, or writhing snakes, one or the other. She was just so excited she could...she could...

POOF!

“What happened?!” Shigure and Sachiko immediately rushed out of the rooms as soon as they heard the loud poof in the hallway. They stared blankly at the orange cat and red crab in the hallway. Both of them looked to each other and laughed lightly.

“What was that for?!” Kyou yelled, looking to Kokoro.

“Sorry, I was just so happy.” Kokoro giggled in a childlike manner. “I’m sorry, Kyou.”

“Yeah, yeah, whatever.” Kyou sighed and looked to Kokoro.



“Oh, hey you guys.” Dawn smiled as she saw Kyou and the others in the hallway as she headed for her room. “You’re looking for Kassie, right?”
“Yeah,” Kyou nodded. “Where is she?”

“Oh, I guess she didn’t tell you.” Dawn laughed lightly. “It’s alright, she didn’t tell me until last night and Anita still doesn’t know. Last night she heard from her track coach that they were gonna have a practice match today. She got up early to run the track a few times.”

“A practice match?” Kokoro blinked.

“Yeah, against the neighboring public school.” Dawn nodded with a smile. “I don’t see why she has to practice though. She could beat all the guys from there too. Well, it’s never been proven, but we’re all sure she could. So I guess if you’re looking for her, she’d be at the track. Probably the indoor one for more privacy.”

“You guys have an indoor track too?” Kokoro questioned. “Dear lord, what doesn’t this school have?”

“A football team.” Dawn sighed. “But I guess that’s to be expected. It’s an all girls’ school, after all. Anyway, her track meet should be in a few minutes so she should be heading out by now. I was thinking of going to watch, myself.”

“Would you like to accompany us?” Sachiko offered with a smile.

“Sure.” Dawn nodded. “Come on, this way.”



“Look, she’s in the lead!” Tohru smiled as they sat in the stands, watching the race. They had arrived at the field just before the meet started and Kasumi had been up first. It was almost over after one more lap around the track.

“Come on, you’re almost at the curve and after that you’re pretty much home free!” Kokoro called out, standing on one of the benches. “Come on, Kassie!”

“She hates the curves.” Kyou said, watching Kasumi approach the bend. He had been told that by Kasumi herself a long time ago. But she never told him why she hated them, though he had a feeling he was just about to find out.

You can do this, Kass, Kasumi told herself as she approached the bend. Come on, you can do this. She repeated. She ran, and just as she turned to get back to running straight, something told her she turned wrong. She felt a semi-sharp pain in her ankle. It took her whole leg, making her stumble, trip, and fall forward. She winced as she hit the ground, breaking her fall with her hands. She tried to push herself up, but found it hard to lift herself back onto her feet.

“Kasumi!” Kyou jumped the railing of the bleachers and ran onto the field. He ran over to Kasumi quickly, followed by the others. “Are you okay? Can you stand?”

“Yeah, just help me up.” Kasumi winced, taking Kyou’s hand and pulling herself onto her feet. Her leg quivered as she fell forward once more.

Kyou quickly caught her, preventing her from hitting the ground again. “Watch it!”

“I’m okay.” Kasumi insisted.

“Looks like she just twisted her ankle.” Kokoro informed, inspecting Kasumi’s ankle. “You should stay off it for a little bit.”
“Will she still be able to be in the festival tomorrow?” Kippei asked. He knew the festival meant a lot to Kasumi. He also knew that a twisted ankle wouldn’t keep her from performing, especially since she had been working so hard on it.

“Of course I’m gonna be in the festival tomorrow.” Kasumi immediately replied.

“Not if you don’t stay off that ankle.” Shigure sighed. “You have to let it heal first.”

“It healed or not, I’m gonna be in that festival!” Kasumi urged.

“Okay, Kasumi. You’ll be in the festival.” Yuki assured. “Just stay off your ankle for a while, okay?”

“Fine, fine.” Kasumi nodded. She sighed and looked up at Kyou. “I lost the race.”

“It’s alright. It was just a practice match.” Kyou ruffled her hair. “It’s not like it really counted.”

“Right.” Kasumi nodded. “We’d better get off the field so they can begin the next event.” She tried to walk off the field, but as before she almost fell.

Kyou sighed and shook his head, scooping Kasumi up in his arms. “You really need to stop getting sick and hurt while I’m around.”

“I’ll try.” Kasumi smiled, sticking her tongue out playfully.

“Come on.” Kyou carried her off the field.



“I don’t like being stuck in bed!” Kasumi yelled as she lay in her bed. “You guys are bad luck! I haven’t gotten sick or hurt like this since...since...”

“A very long time ago.” Dawn answered for her. She was sitting at her desk, looking at her computer screen. She turned around in her chair and looked to the others. Shigure and Sachiko were missing from the group. They had gone to have a conference with Satsu. “She doesn’t mean it, you guys. But you know her, she hates to be stuck in bed.”

“Well who’s fault is that?” Kyou asked, sitting at the foot of Kasumi’s bed.

“It’s not my fault I hate turns. And it’s not my fault I didn’t know we were in for a blizzard either.” Kasumi crossed her arms over her chest and looked around the room. “Hey Dawn. When’s that project for media tech due?”

“Next Friday.” Dawn informed.

“Hm, I might not be here.” Kasumi said in a whisper to herself.

“What?” Kyou heard her. He looked to her, wanting an answer.

“Um..uh...one of my classes might be taking a field trip that day!” Kasumi defended. “It’s not decided yet, but we might. Um...aren’t you all leaving sometime next week?”

“Sunday. The night after the festival.” Kokoro said. She was writing something in a book. She didn’t look up from it, just continued writing stuff down.

“What’re you writing?” Kippei tried to look over Kokoro’s shoulder.

“Nothing!” Kokoro quickly shut her book and hugged it to her. “None of your business.” She hissed.

“Dear Diary,” Kippei started in a fake imitation of Kokoro. “We’re sitting here in Kasumi’s room. She got a hurt ankle at her track meet. I just adored the way Kyou took care of his little sister. And the way he carried her off the field. I just wish–...”

“Shut up, you little freak!” Kokoro pushed Kippei away from her.

“I bet that’s what it says!” Kippei laughed.

“Ugh! I begged Mom and Dad for a dog!” Kokoro yelled.



“I thought you’d like to see this.” Satsu pulled something out of her filing cabinet and handed it to Shigure. It was a piece of paper. The heading said Kasumi’s name, grade four, and a date from seven years before.

Shigure took the paper and looked at it, reading Kasumi’s sloppy fourth grade handwriting. A small smile appeared on his face as he handed the paper to Sachiko. “What did I tell you?”

Sachiko accepted the paper and read it over. She smiled as well and shook her head lightly. “I see.”

“You can hold on to that.” Satsu said, sitting down behind her desk. “Maybe one day you can show him.” The corners of her mouth were tugging for a smile. “That was from a test all the students had to take in her grade. There were many others, but that’s the one I wanted you to see.”

“I believe all the paperwork is over and done with.” Sachiko looked to Satsu, putting the paper down in her lap.

“It’s all done. All that’s left is how to break it to them.” Satsu nodded with a secret smile. It was somewhat sinister, yet joking. “When are you all leaving again?”

“The day after tomorrow.” Shigure informed. “We’re going to stay and watch Kasumi in the festival, then we’ll leave the next day.”

“Good plan. Good plan.” Satsu nodded once more. “Well, I believe I will see you tomorrow at the festival. Maybe we’ll bump into each other there.”

“Maybe we will.” Sachiko stood up from her chair. “Nice doing business with you, Satsu.”

“Same to you Sachiko, Shigure.” Satsu stood up.

“We shall meet again, Satsu.” Shigure said with a playful grin.

“Come on, you.” Sachiko laughed lightly and pulled Shigure out of Satsu’s office.

----

A/N - 07/25/06 Okay, so it took me three days. But it wasn’t all my fault. My brother kept putting my nephew in the room and I had to close my computer or else my nephew would bang on the keys and whatnot. That and I’ve been drawing too. Lots of stuff. It’s cool. Anyway, so it seems Shigure, Sachiko, and Satsu have a secret. o_O Woah, three S’s. n.n Anyway, what’s the secret? You’ll have to read to find out. In the next chapter you’ll get to see the festival. Not to mention Kasumi’s dance. x3 I can’t wait!