Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Musouka ~ Dare to Dream ❯ Zoo Expertise ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Three
 
Enjoy yourself. There are the good old days you're going to miss in the years ahead.
 
Narunami Sohma - Year 1971
 
The Boar
 
Zoo Expertise
 
Oh dear Kami-sama!!! Eriko thought miserably as they struggled out of the car. The boys crawled out of the trunk and the girls were avoided (For the reason we all know, but not Eriko and Yuri) Hatori and Shigure seemed to be the only ones that didn't seem ruffled.
 
The entrance to the Japanese Zoo was nonetheless, beautiful. It had a red arched wall with several New Year's Eve decorations, and an elephant and rhino statue stood on either side of the wall. The snow was packed in drifts along the parking lot and against the bare plants and trees.
 
“So kind of you to pay for the entrance fee, don't you all agree?” Shigure asked cheerfully to the ruffled group. They all took a quick glance at the Dog; Hatori sighed, mumbling something that mentioned `…I'm the only one here that managed to think about bringing a wallet…'
 
“Well, the bears come first! Come on! We're blocking the entrance!” Shigure cried out quickly to change the subject. It was than that the others noticed the small amount of people emerging from their cars and going towards them.
 
“Looky! It's a Polar Bear!” Momiji cried as he pulled Tohru towards the first exhibit. Yuri, Haru, Yuki, and Kyo walked at a brisk pace to keep up; Eriko took her time along with Hatori and Shigure to go to the polar bears.
 
They're white balls of fluff with limbs and live in Antarctica! Big deal! It's not like I've never heard of them before! Eriko thought in a bored tone. Than her nose scented an odd smell of anxiety and frustrated at the same time from behind her. The smell of anxiety was coming from Shigure, the frustrated scent was coming from Hatori, what were they thinking about that would make them give off such odors? Must be family matters.
 
“Look! Look! It's swimming now Tohru!” Momiji said.
 
“Uh-huh,” Tohru said back as the Polar bear began to wrestle with a barrel in the icy liquid.
 
No way Momiji, it's jumping through a hoop lit with fire! Eriko thought sarcastically as she came to see what the bear was now doing.
 
“Hey Tohru? What's your favorite animal? Than we can go and see it after the next bear!” Momiji asked, the other three boys looked like they were watching a corny classic movie. Eriko wouldn't blame them.
 
“Oh well, I don't really have a favorite animal,” Tohru thought, than she turned to Yuri, “What's yours?”
 
“Oh! Elephants…” Yuri answered, Eriko sighed.
 
“Elephants? African or Asian?” Yuki asked.
 
“Er…African,” Yuri answered, Eriko knew that when she hugged any girl her age (or older) she would transform into an African elephant, it was horrible when they found she was the Elephant because if she ever transformed when she was a baby, they would have to wait till she transformed back to carry her. But anyone cursed in the Holiday Zodiac didn't have to worry about it since a person their age (Or older) and same gender had to hug that cursed member to transform. So the only danger to Eriko was girls sixteen and older (Alias Tohru) or for Yuri eighteen and older.
 
“The Elephant House isn't far, we can also visit the Zebra Exhibit on the way.” Haru said as he examined the map.
 
“Where did you get that map?” Kyo asked.
 
“I snatched it from a man's coat pocket,” Haru answered.
 
“YOU WHAT!?!” Kyo shouted, getting mostly everyone's attention around them. A few minutes later the group left for the Elephant House. At the entrance to the Cat House, a man and a woman stood, waiting for the man to find something in his coat pocket.
 
“Honey, have you seen my map?”
 
“Here's the Zebras,” Yuki said as he pointed out the Zebras hiding in their shelter.
 
The Holiday Zebra is much bigger, Eriko thought.
 
“Aren't they related to horses?” Momiji asked, Haru answered with a yes. It was than that Eriko noticed Shigure hiding behind Hatori from a…woman?
 
“Are you even done with your manu-script? Your deadline is in two weeks and I am not going to wait for you to write 500 pages! Out of all the time you decide on relaxing you go and visit animals? None of your books don't even mention animals so this can't be something you are looking for an inspiration! Dear Kami-san Shigure!” the woman shouted. Shigure grinned behind Hatori (Whom looked like he was about to strangle someone; aka Shigure) Than Eriko decided to step in.
 
“Who are you?” Eriko asked, standing near the two men, not wanting to get too close to the woman. She blinked, and the other Sohmas, Tohru, and Yuri began to watch what was going on.
 
“You can call me Mii,” she answered, “And I'm Shigure-san's editor!”
 
“Oh, than you can have him than.” Eriko said calmly as she snatched a good hold on Shigure's collar and pulled him towards Mii. Shigure smiled nervously at his distance between him and Mii, the other Sohmas and Tohru held their breath, but sighed with relief when Mii just grabbed hold of his collar and began being dragged away.
 
“Oh mercy my dear friend Eriko!” Shigure begged as a notebook and pencil appeared in Mii's free hand as she dragged him away.
 
“Meet you at the car in two hours Shigure!” Eriko shouted than opened up the map they've been using.
 
“How'd you get that from Haru?” Kyo asked, everyone sweat-dropped, Eriko asked for the map before they arrived at the Zebra exhibit.
 
A few moments later, everyone (But Tohru) seemed to struggle through the crowd; all of them were aiming for the men. Tohru watched helplessly at the door as they all dodged the women, but she spotted Eriko and Yuri doing the same, or so she thought were doing the same tactics.
 
“Are you all right Miss Honda?” Yuki asked as they all emerged from the crowd, Tohru nodded.
 
“What about you guys? You were in much of a worse situation than I was in…” Tohru said, Yuri and Eriko were panting just as much as the Sohmas, but Tohru brushed that aside and immediately suggested that they go inside the Elephant House now.
 
“Don't get carried away Yuri, not like last time.” Eriko warned her sister, Yuri sighed and nodded.
 
“But it isn't my fault, they just come to me.” Yuri said.
 
“Only three, I could have sworn they said they had four,” Kyo said as they came up to the fence that separated them from the elephants.
 
“That's because we released one before winter came, our guide papers and maps haven't been updated since though.” A man said, most of them (Yuri was more interested in the elephants) turned towards one of the zoo keepers, but he was actually clean and not smelly like most of them. Eriko knew he must not have had his shift yet.
 
The man was about six and half feet tall with black hair combed back with a few strands hanging loosely from the sides of his temples. He had brown eyes and wore long-sleeved brown uniforms with a black belt, black boots, and a green elephant patch on his left upper torso.
 
“Sorry, my name is Shoda Santomono. I'm the caretaker of these elephants.” The man said with a bright smile. Almost instantly, all the Sohmas and Tohru were looking at Eriko.
 
“He's my uncle,” she said quickly. None of them realized that one of the elephants had walked up to the edge of their fence and held out their trunk to Yuri, who gently caressed it. People around them were staring in awe at what she was doing, basically since there was a sign near the fence that said `Do not touch animals'. But Shoda didn't seem to notice her doing it; Eriko did though but did nothing.
 
“Why do you work here?” Tohru asked, Eriko thought it was obvious, but she forgot that they didn't know about the curse.
 
“Oh well, I know someone that had a gift with animals when I was young and decided to become a zoologist so that person can see all the animals I see,” Shoda explained. Hatori noticed what Yuri was doing, and frowned. Was it possible that Shoda was talking about Yuri?
 
“What the hell are you doing?” Kyo asked as he noticed Yuri, the others took notice of her actions (Only because Kyo shouted). Eriko sighed and decided to make up an excuse before they think any further in what Yuri was doing.
 
“She comes up here some times to help Shoda with his work, so she knows the elephants here well.” Eriko said calmly, making it sound more plausible.
 
“Wow! Really, can I pet it?” Momiji asked as he bounced up to Yuri, she smiled.
 
“It's a her, and her name is Java.” Yuri said gently before stepping away from the trunk (Her left hand was wrapped in it) Momiji began to rub the trunk as Yuki decided to ask another question.
 
“I thought only tamers and their caretakers could get that close to wild animals, why can she?” Yuki asked.
 
“As Eriko said before, she used to come up here during summer break and help me with the elephants, she sometimes performed in the shows that take place here with the elephants.” Shoda lied.
 
Don't go too far Uncle! Eriko thought as she eyed Shoda.
 
“You performed in shows?” Momiji asked excitedly, Yuri hid a face of question, than smiled and nodded.
 
“Once,” she lied, Hatori eyed her with suspicion. Haru and Kyo didn't look like they were going to go anywhere near Java, but Yuki and Tohru joined Momiji and stroked her trunk, the people inside the house weren't eager to let their kids touch her either, and when the second elephant decided to come over, some began to leave.
 
“This one is Kakaro,” Yuri said as she stroked the larger trunk. Momiji laughed as his trunk went up to his face and rubbed his cheek.
 
“They're so gentle!” Tohru beamed.
 
“That's why they're called Gentle Giants,” Yuri pointed out.
 
“Are we going to move on to the next animal?” Hatori asked, Yuri didn't seem eager to leave, but Momiji was more than happy to drag her out of the house. Java's and Kakaro's trunks seemed to wave good-bye as they left and people began moving back in again.
 
“What's the next animal?” Yuki asked.
 
“Moose,” Haru answered.
 
This is going to be a long and cold day… Eriko thought as they walked on.
 
After seeing a few animals that have not been put in for the winter like the moose, bears, and lions, the group stopped at a little restaurant.
 
“Thanks for paying Hatori,” Yuri said with a soft smile as they all sat down with their food.
 
“I pay for everything if I come along with someone.” Hatori said.
 
“We better wash our hands before we eat since we were touching Java and Kakaro!” Momiji said, Yuri instantly agreed, and she, Momiji, Yuki, and Tohru left to the bathroom. Leaving Eriko, Hatori, Haru, and Kyo alone.
 
“How long has Yuri worked with Shoda here?” Hatori finally asked to break the silence.
 
I hate to lie, but heck! I've been lying for the last sixteen years of my life! “For about three years,” Eriko answered.
 
“So she must love elephants than huh? I mean, does she like elephants because your uncle works with them or she just likes them?” Haru asked.
 
“She likes them more than it seems,” She's like them to be more exact! Eriko answered.
 
“So what about you, any favorites? We've got about a little bit more ground to cover. We can come back in the summer to see Yuri perform and see the rest of the animals.” Hatori said. (If he has the time!)
 
“Let's see…foxes,” Eriko answered. “Any kind suits me,”
 
“Why foxes? I can see how Yuri likes elephants, but you never mentioned anything about foxes.” Haru said.
 
“I have my reasons,” Eriko answered.
 
“Done! Now let's eat!” Tohru announced as they reappeared and sat down.
 
“I wonder if Shigure's-” Yuri began.
 
“You wonder what?” Shigure asked, Yuri jumped and her head knocked into his chin, making him bite his tongue. “Are you trying to injure me?” Yuki, Kyo, and Haru smirked. Tohru and Eriko just stared at him; Yuri was apologizing over and over. Hatori was ignoring it all and eating at the same time.
 
“Where's Mii?” Tohru asked, Yuri stopped apologizing and looked up at the novelist.
 
“SHIGURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” Mii cried as she searched for him, but kept on coming face to face with beetles and other bugs from the opposite sides of the glass. People stared at her, sweat-dropping.
 
“Oh! I somehow lost her to the bugs,” Shigure said.
 
Poor woman… Eriko, Yuki, and Hatori thought at the same time. Shigure took a seat next to Yuri and began talking about the animals he had seen so far.
 
“I thought Mii-chan was trying to make me write, but I simply said all my work was done (except the manuscript; which made her cry harder than she was before) for the next deadline while we were visiting the Polar Bear!” Shigure said.
 
She should have fed him to the bear while she was at it! Yuki and Eriko thought angrily.
 
“Next stop! The Nocturnal House!” Momiji cried out happily.
 
“The Nocturnal House should have foxes in it,” Haru said as they walked out of the restaurant.
 
When are we going back to the Sohma House? Eriko asked, hoping for someone to answer her unspoken question. It seemed that Kyo, Haru, and Hatori had enough for one day. But Yuki, Tohru, Momiji, and Shigure were having plenty of fun as it was, and Yuri, she was smiling…like she meant it.
 
Usually, those cursed have little confidence in what they do, and sometimes when one smiled it was either fake, out of politeness, or absolutely genuine. And Yuri's past smiles for the last few years were only out of politeness, the ones that were forming since they came to the zoo, was what Eriko realized were the births of the true smiles. And now, her truest smile emerged at that moment with the Sohmas and Tohru, something Eriko never accomplished. Eriko smirked and sneered, those were the only things ever close to a smile she ever came to. Every smirk was achieved from her cunning mind and a sneer was succeeded from her iced heart. She didn't want to get close to anyone, in fear that one day her and her fate will collide and she will be forced to run, and leave those dearest behind.
 
“Eek!” Tohru cried after they closed the door and met darkness.
 
“What is it Miss Honda?” Yuki asked.
 
“What's that?” she asked, Eriko sighed, she was looking into an exhibit with vampire bats in them.
 
“Is that blood?” Kyo asked.
 
“That's why they're called Vampire Bats baka, they drink blood.” Eriko said in a bored tone.
 
“WHAT DID YOU CALL ME!?!”
 
“They drink human blood?” Tohru asked.
 
“Of course not,” Yuri stepped in, “Vampire bats only feed off the blood of animals like cows,” Haru shivered, gaining Yuri and Eriko attention.
 
“Something wrong?” Yuri asked.
 
“No, let's move on and catch up with Hatori and Shigure,” Haru said, it was than that they noticed that the two adults had moved on quite quickly.
 
“Sorry for the vanishing act, but Tohru's sudden fright had chilled me.” Shigure apologized as they met them at the exhibit with an anteater and fruit bats in it.
 
“Or in other words, the mere image of blood scares him.” Hatori translated.
 
“You're scared of blood?” Eriko asked.
 
“Aw! These bats are much cuter! And that ant eater looks like a stuffed animal!” Momiji cried.
 
“Fruit bats are also called Flying Foxes, their canine-like faces make them much more adorable than most bats.” Yuri said.
 
They all look more like flying rats! Good grief! Kyo roared mentally.
 
“So you like Fruit bats Eriko-chan?” Tohru asked.
 
“I suppose,” she answered in a low voice.
 
“Oh look! The Fennic Fox is next!” Shigure cried, Eriko sighed and followed the group to the next animal.
 
The little tawny fox was curled up in a ball in a far corner in its exhibit, the two large ears flipped and flopped in its sleep.
 
“It's adorable, if it had wings and darker fur it does look like one of those flying bats!” Momiji said, Tohru agreed.
 
After a few more scenes with owls and a few more bats (And bothersome encounters with vampire bats Yuri explained that the vampire bats were reproducing too fast and since they were born in captivity, they couldn't release most of them that scared Tohru and frightened Shigure further towards the exit) They finally exited the building.
 
“It's four o' clock already, my my my, how time flies!” Shigure sang.
 
I think it's time to shut your mouth! Eriko thought.
 
“Only the Cat House and the Bird House left,” Haru said.
 
“Let's skip the Cat House, I need to get back to the main house before six.” Hatori said.
 
“We can skip the Bird House `cause we aren't skippin' the Cat House!” Kyo shouted.
 
“You don't like birds?” Yuri asked innocently, Kyo folded his arms and snorted. Shigure snickered and Yuki sighed.
 
“He has an ironic reason not to like them,” Yuki said.
 
“Yes, fools like him don't see the elegance of a bird's beauty and grace.” Shigure said.
 
“SAY WHAT!” Kyo shouted.
 
“Fine, we'll go to the Cat House than leave.” Hatori said to avoid further outbursts. Eriko was with him, her sensitive ears couldn't take it anymore anyhow.
 
“A Sand Cat! What a cutie! Here's an Ocelot! There so thin! Do they get enough to eat? Here's a Margay! Looks a lot like an Ocelot!” Tohru cried happily as she and Momiji bounced from one glass exhibit to another. Yuri was happily their guide through it and answering their questions, Kyo was going slower than them, lagging behind.
 
“Are you a Cat Lover or a Group Lagger?” Eriko asked as she noticed Kyo behind her.
 
“A lot coming from you when you're only a few steps in front of me! And what does it matter if I like cats or not?” Kyo asked.
 
“Just asking baka.” Eriko said.
 
“All right that's it! Let's take this fight of ours outside!” Kyo shouted, the Sohmas sighed and continued walking, Tohru noticed and left Momiji's side to go and try and stop the upcoming fight.
 
“We're in public, so don't give anyone the idea that you're an idiot.” Eriko said.
 
“Who says I'm an idiot?” Kyo asked.
 
“Most of us think that.” Yuki said from far up in the group.
 
“I heard that pretty boy!” Kyo shouted back.
 
“Anyway, I discovered that fact too long ago to change my mind on that matter. Or in other words, I knew you were an idiot ever since yesterday.” Eriko said with a smirk.
 
“I don't give a damn on what you think! You and the Rat are just too much for me!?!” Kyo shouted, it was a good thing there was barely any people inside the Cat House as they walked through it. Or they would be staring or parents would be hurrying their kids outside.
 
“Who in the world are you calling a Rat?” Eriko asked, “The only one with a pesky attitude that could match such a pest would be you.” Yuki stiffened from up ahead, but brushed it off quickly and continued walking.
 
“Wait a minute you two! Let's not fight okay! We're here to have fun!” Tohru jumped in.
 
“Well, our fun will end as soon as we exit this building Honda.” Eriko said.
 
“Oh! Why's that?”
 
“Because we're leaving when we exit,” Eriko answered.
 
“Who said?” Kyo asked.
 
“Kyo, can you do us all a favor and shut up?” Eriko asked.
 
“HELL NO!” Kyo shouted, as he lunged for Eriko, she smirked and dodged the first punch.
 
“You missed,” she sneered as she quickly turned and shifted her body and her body became present behind Kyo.
 
“How did you move so fast?” Kyo asked.
 
“I have my ways,” Eriko said.
 
“Please no more fighting!” Tohru cried, outstretching her arms towards Eriko. Eriko's eyes widened, and her right arm quickly came up to her face and her hand came in contact with it. Her arms stopped before they were able to wrap around Eriko's slender frame.
 
“What in the world are you doing Eriko-chan?” Yuki asked as he and the others came back. Eriko let go of Tohru and smirked.
 
“I prefer not to be touched by people I barely know Honda,” Eriko said as she than made her way through the Sohmas and led them out of the building, Yuri sighed, their secret almost got out there.
 
Darn't it all! Why can't people just stay away from me? Isn't it plain as day, I don't want to get close to anyone! Why can't they see it, or is it because I'm cursed?