Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Musouka ~ Dare to Dream ❯ Akito's Belief ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Nineteen
 
If you want to see the world right, start with yourself.
 
Akira Sohma - Year 1941
 
The Snake
 
Akito's Belief
 
“I understand Dikatou-san,” Noami said into the receiver, “I will be it than.” And with a final good-bye, she hung up than turned to her friend. “It seems as though we need Akito-san's approval first before we can think about Eriko's safety…and since Mei can't talk and he has little patience for talking let alone writing, I volunteered to represent the Sanotomono Clan.”
 
“Be careful with your words Noami, you're making us sound like animals.” The person in her room teased, she was a slender and sturdy figure with soft gray eyes, black hair escaped and hung down from her ear, her bangs were high, long and split while the rest of her hair went back into a ponytail. She wore a bamboo blossom blouse and her tan leisure pants together made some of her flat abdomen appear. The Horse grinned at her friend in a sisterly way, a soft, small smile filled with trust and understanding.
 
“But a few of us are considered animals…by the God and those who look at us…differently.” Noami said back with a similar smile, her mahogany orbs danced with anxiously and nervousness. “But I…well now that you have returned, I suppose you have felt it too?”
 
“Hai, I am afraid I have, I would think that a few more will know. Especially Shigure, Hatori, and Ayame. It will take the younger generations a while longer to sense the dangerous presence lurking around them.” The Horse responded.
 
“Yes, I suppose you're right. That will create problems, though I'm talking more about that boy, Kyo Sohma…he's the Cat,” Noami said, biting her bottom lip as she sat down on her chair in front of the computer. A neat stack of graded papers lay neatly stacked next to the mouse pad, ready to be packed away for the next school term.
 
“I know, that is why it will be even greater…but I am surprised…”
 
“By what?” Noami asked.
 
“That she held out this long…”
 
“Well, the Fox generations do have freedom till the day after high school graduation. Before than, I'm afraid, her symptoms will be far worse than any of us can imagine…” Noami explained. The Horse nodded in agreement.
 
“Than it will be our job to make sure she pulls through, her life is now beginning to form and God is now truly accepting her existence, yet the Zodiac God doesn't even know of whom the Fox is and will probably never wish to take part in her well-being and see her true form as he did with the Cat.” The Horse said. She sighed, “I suppose most of it cannot be completely blamed on the curse, I have no option as to blame myself as well.”
 
“Why? You only left for a few years to get your college degree for veterinarian technician; it was your dream to help animals in desperate need of help. And now you have accomplished it.” Noami said.
 
“I can cure any broken bone and mend any torn tissue, but I cannot tend to a shattered soul.” The Horse pointed out softly, her eyelids drooped. “And I cannot help him-”
 
“But you did! You gave him something that no one thought he truly needed! He loved you like any son would love his mother, someone he lost when he was young, on the day of his birth…do you not remember?” Noami said calmly as the Horse folded her arms.
 
“I remember,”
 
“Than do you not remember the soul of a child that actually laughed when you first met him?”
 
“I do,”
 
“On the first year you met Shigure?”
 
“Don't start Noami,”
 
“Why not? Do you not think of him anymore as you used to?”
 
“I do, and wish that they were never real so he wouldn't be part of this mess…”
 
“Listen to yourself, you've been gone for years and now you return with so much success, but little pride. I wish you would return to normal, and accompany me to the Sohma Estate tomorrow, than we might have a chance for not only Eriko, but for you future too.” Noami stated.
 
“The future-”
 
“-you need to share we someone,” Noami finished as she than stood up and put on her jacket. “I'll wait a few moments before leaving, if you decide to go.” The Horse watched her friend leave, she decided long ago not to interfere in his life again. And with that oath, she will keep. But now, she needed to keep an eye on the beloved children that so desperately need a goal in life. So, she did not go along with Noami, as no true friend would never have done.
“Ginry, I'm so confused…” Eriko said quietly through clenched teeth as she lay awake in her futon later that evening. Not only was she confused on her situation, she was also baffled to why she was talking to a kitten.
 
“The one dearest to the Cat's heart!”
 
But who in the world was dearest to the Cat when she didn't even know who the Cat was! Ginry's eyes blinked as she than uncoiled herself and walked off of Eriko's stomach where she was once happily purring away in deep slumber. The little neko shook off some sleep from her paws than scurried over to the book. Eriko didn't see what the kitten's point was, most of the pages have gone blank, including The Cat chapter, and so have The Fox chapter as well. It was as if the pages have never had ink printed on their aging papers before.
 
“Mrrow!” Ginry mewed; Eriko groggily slid up into sleeping position and took the book in her right hand. Ginry than hurried over to her pillow and curled her front limbs under her chest as she waited for Eriko's reaction.
 
Eriko looked at the contents for a while, than skimmed through some pages that eventually fell on The Cat chapter. Her irises minimized; there was a complete new paragraph that took over the former introduction! Maybe it was an answer to the problem that came to her so easily.
 
I am sure whomever is reading this is well aware of the Cat's tale…the Cat, the Outcast of the Chinese Zodiac was once welcomed into the Zodiac, but that was thousands of years ago. The Zodiac God, whom held a banquet in honor of the later-to-be Chinese Zodiac animals-the Rat, Ox, Snake, Dragon, Dog, Boar, Rabbit, Horse, Rooster, Tiger, Sheep, and the Monkey; warned the animals not to be late. Unfortunately, the Rat decided to play a trick on the Cat, so later the next afternoon, he told the Cat that the party was on the evening after tonight. So as he went on his merry way riding the Ox, the Cat was sleeping away, dreaming of a party that would never come. Therefore, the arch-rivalry of the Cat and the Rat had begun. For several generations, a family cursed by the twelve animals including the Cat has been hidden away from the common, yet appear normal, hold tremendous secrets that link to the Holiday Zodiac-Horse, Tiger, Elephant, Zebra, Reindeer, and Lion. Yet neither zodiac knew each other existed yet met and came to realize one another's strong bond. Some have grown to know each other well enough to love another and later, the same begins. That is where our story begins…
 
A lot that did…just gave me another question… Eriko thought miserably as she closed the book and placed it aside. Ginry slid over a bit so Eriko could lay her head down, and then she crawled onto her chest. Eriko closed her eyes, and the instant she did, she fell asleep.
“Kureno?” Noami gasped as she spotted the man that seemed to know she would come and had waited at the gate. She knew him; his name was Kureno Sohma. He had smooth dark crimson hair that was manly cut and matching narrow eyes. He had only gotten taller since she last saw him, at least a foot taller than herself. The quiet and obedient person he was, his head rounded up and looked at her. A small glint of recognition appeared, but it quickly blinked out as he than straightened himself and prepared to speak.
 
“It has been a while Noami-san.” He said as he held out his hand, she grasped it lightly and smiled.
 
“You shouldn't call me that Kureno, you are only a year younger than myself.” She teased lightly, ever since they were young he was always easily offended, therefore it was hard to keep him in one piece when Ayame and Shigure were around. But those were when they were very young, barely into middle school that was before they split up and went their separate ways. Shigure became a novelist, Ayame, a tailor and shop manager, Hatori was now a doctor, herself a teacher, Mihoshi a vocal artist, and Sunmei, a veterinarian. They had six separate dreams, yet Kureno remained here at the Sohma Estate with a planned life each morning. So desperately she wanted him some freedom, maybe he hadn't changed as much as she thought he would have. Maybe it was because the Horse left…
 
“But I must, you are someone that is looked up to and is worthy of respect Noami-san.” Kureno stated softly, his face emotionless. It was so hard to have him smile during the warm days of the summer and to make his face light up during the chilly evenings of winter. But now, he rarely left the Estate, Noami didn't need to guess that.
 
“All right Kureno, do as you wish.” Noami sighed with a smile; he took advantage of it and said quite surely to follow him. He led her through the barren courtyard that surrounded to homes within the Estate. It was so lovely during the spring and the breezes during the summer could just lift your troubles away when you least expect it. It was then that they arrived at what Noami would recall as Akito's abode in the Estate that the familiar face of Hatori Sohma appeared. His face would've brightened she supposed if it weren't for the situation he and Kureno were aware of during the time.
 
“Noami-san, pleasure to see you again.” Hatori greeted as he outstretched a hand to her and led her up the stairs. Kureno led the way down the hall as the two stayed behind.
 
“It's been so long Hatori-san, how have you been doing?” Noami asked, she regretted the question when he didn't answer. Though she was used to it, she knew that Hatori rarely answered to questions he thought were unnecessary. But now, there was a dark aura radiating off of him, it was obvious even though she wasn't a juunishi. “Hatori, something went wrong am I right?” He sighed.
 
“Many things have been happening during the past several years Noami, I don't seem to recall many of them pleasurable.” Hatori said.
 
“So, he hasn't changed by much then…?” Noami mumbled.
 
“Not much, but a little…” Noami looked back up at the solemn Dragon, he seemed to have felt her gaze and their eyes locked on one another's. As they walked, so much information was sent to one another's minds. It was amazing to how well Hatori hid his feelings that they were nearly impossible to read. Noami could though, it wasn't as easy as reading a novel, but it was readable to her in his language. She liked his language; it portrayed so much emotion it could make her feel it as well. Her mahogany eyes traced every one of his iris's details, etching in her stares. The dark aura was pulsing madly in his soul it seemed; she had a sudden urge to ask what had happened and why he carried such a troublesome burden?
 
“We are here,” Kureno said to the two. They tore their eyes from one anothers and gazed at the Rooster. He stood in front of a door with his shoes off.
 
“We are accompanying you into his room, he still is himself as you have saw him when she wasn't around.” Hatori answered her unspoken question. She felt a huge amount of relief lift from her shoulders and seemed to remember to breathe at that moment. She wasn't so close to Akito when she was young and they hadn't gotten any closer the past few years. She just hoped he would listen before havoc came into the scene.
 
“I am grateful Hatori-san.” She said as they slid their shows off and led into by Kureno, they went to their knees instantly and peered up at the dark room.
 
Akito… Noami thought miserably, the sudden movement from the futon surprised her as her eyes adjusted to the darkness.
 
“Kureno, open the door.” Akito's voice ordered. Noami didn't see what the point would be, it was evening so only the moon's light would leek its way into this room and all the birds had long gone to sleep. When Kureno had slid the door open to the garden outside Akito's room, moonlight poured into the room and lit it up slightly. Noami then spotted the nineteen-year-old cursed child of the Chinese Zodiac. His legs were over the side and he was slightly hunched over with his kimono slipping off at his left shoulder. His dark teal eyes scanned Noami's sitting form. Noami fought the urge to shudder, his gaze was much icier and there was no smile in them at all.
 
“It has been a long time Noami,” Akito spoke, Kureno sat down beside Akito's futon and watched the event. Akito remained motionless at this point and continued to stare at Noami, she still refused to give any involuntary muscle movement for his pleasure.
 
“Yes, it has been Akito-sama,” she said politely.
 
“Than let's begin with why you are here, I am aware that a certain girl needs certain living requirements within my family. Though I got little detail all together, maybe you can fill me in so I can make an accurate decision…” Akito said to Noami. She could not lie, for if he found out, everything that Eriko had lived through could be thrown away like it was nothing; worthless. But how could she explain it without triggering Akito's dangerous uncontrollable temper?
 
“It's quite difficult to explain Akito…it's about her fate basically, do I need to retell the tale of the Fox?” Noami asked.
 
“Ah, so she is the Fox. In other words, the Child that Wears a Collar, that tale is what you speak of?” Akito asked, his lips curving upward. So now he knows the identity of the long-lost Fox generation, though he normally wouldn't care but if she were anything like the Cat, he would need to do what every other leader of the Sohmas before him wished to do-lock her away forever. To prevent her from running away where no eyes can lay upon the Fox. And with every ounce of animosity that was thrown at the Fox through every other head before him was now connected and curled up within Akito. He felt the whole weight of responsibility not only from the curse, but from the capture of the Fox as well.
 
“Correct, if she can pull through the trauma of the symptoms, I'm sure-”
 
“-she won't be able to pull through, and I can tell through your voice that you doubt it just as much as everybody else does. The Fox is a weak simpleton and depends only on wits to get herself out of trouble, that I will not allow.” Akito stated, he stood up and stared down at Noami, Hatori avoided eye contact and watched Noami out of the corner of his right eye. Kureno watched as well, but without amusement or question. “She will be allowed to live within the Sohma Clan, but in return…”
 
Noami dared not make eye contact either; just being in the room gave her a reason to hide away, far away from the darkness of a far corner of her room back at the Sanotomono Estate. Her blue locks kept just as still as her, as if clinging to one another out of fright. What was Akito wishing in return for his approval?
 
“…well, I am well aware that the heads before me, have wished to contain this little thing…” Akito went down to his right knees and placed his left arm over his left leg while his right hand pressed against the floor. Hatori, Noami, and Kureno knew where this was going. “So, if Eriko were to somehow pull through than I will allow her to live freely, but if it's the opposite, she is to be locked up before she even takes a step outside this city, understood?”
 
“Yes, Akito-sama,” Noami answered.
 
“Than I would presume that she is living with Shigure and the others no doubt,” Akito said.
 
“Yes Akito,” Hatori answered, “That is whom the Sanotomonos wish for her to stay.”
 
“Very well, now I would like a word of privacy with Noami, leave you two.” Akito demanded. Hatori hesitated, but eventually followed Kureno out the door, the door slid shut. Noami's chest ringed with heart pounding throbs. If she knew any better, Akito would hear them.
 
“Well Noami, do not lie to this question because you know perfectly well I know when someone lies to me, and I'm sure you know the consequences to that mishap.” Akito stated as he leaned forward, closer to Noami. She gulped slightly, and her orbs were forced to make contact with the dark teal stones emitting anger and agony. His smile broadened.
 
“You wish to know where she is?” She blurted out quietly.
 
“Whom are you referring to Noami? The only ones I wish to know of their location is my own family, so, here is my question.” Akito said. She stiffened when he leaned into her ear. “Do you have any hope for Eriko?”
 
“I do…”
 
“I warned you before not lie.”
 
“I do Akito-sama…”
 
“You believe in what? The true pain of Eriko that she is going through? I know pain as if it were a friend, a friend that would cling to me like an impending storm cloud. I do know of Eriko's symptoms, I have seen them before and never have I seen such monstrosity next to that wretched Cat.” Akito said as he pulled back and sneered at Noami. “Now why don't you think, life is harsh, and fate will not stop for those who truly need it to stop. Who do you think can stop the hands of fate? No one, I should know, I will die soon enough. And when that day comes, I will make sure to see that the monster is locked away forever to the day it dies. All those cursed should suffer the way I do, why you ask? Because they don't share the equal amount of pain I have gone through since birth.” Noami took in a deep breath and released it, he was a dying person, she could sympathize with that. But she wasn't the brave woman students thought of her as in school. Nor what Aikoko thought of her at home, she was a teacher, not an ambassador…
 
“Akito, do not think of Eriko a-as a monster…” she demanded quietly, her eyes lying to the floor. She sensed Akito stir slightly, knowing full well his grin had not left his face. “She o-only acts out of how she was brought up, she thinks the fittest are to live while the weak perish…but the Fox never truly thought that way…”
 
“Than why did the Fox refuse the God's offer?” Akito asked. Outside the room, Hatori stood next to the wall and listened to the conversation he had to delve into so he could hear it. Kureno knew and watched him do it, but he did not want to disturb Akito's privacy with noise or he would be punished later.
 
“That…E-Eriko will answer…because not long from now, h-her symptoms will r-reveal what she needs to know, thus, she will answer you when she gets through w-with her symptoms…”
 
“You do not seem to understand, she will not get through those symptoms completely before banishing herself from the public eye. She will flee, and will never be seen again," Akito said, his voice began to reveal impatience.
 
“She will not run Akito, she is strong-willed-”
 
“Who the hell cares! Fate doesn't! It never does! If isn't going to stop for me than hell it won't stop for her!” Akito growled. Hatori heard the sickening breaking of bones and a small cry from Noami, he slid the shoji door open, Kureno remained outside, but peered in the take a glimpse of the scene.
 
Noami was doubled over with her forehead touching the wooden planks, both arms were wrapped tightly around her middle, blood bled through her clothes and dripped to the ground. Akito though was now standing up, his face contorted with fierce anger and hatred.
 
“SHE WON'T STAY! SHE WILL TRY TO RUN! YOU HEAR ME!” Akito shouted.
 
“That is enough Akito,” Hatori said as he bent down over Noami and managed to calm her down. Akito became uninterested immediately and walked quietly to the door Kureno opened earlier. A small white feather floated lazily down from the nest above the roof on the tall barren tree. Why the birds never flew south intrigued him; he felt more fondness over them than any other animal. Maybe that is why he cherishes Kureno, and rarely lets him leave the house.
 
Back inside, Hatori had not lifted Noami bridal style though his right arm was around her back and lifting her upright while his left supported her legs and the rest of her lower body. Her teeth were clenched while her eyes were tightly shut, but tears managed to slip through her orb barriers and streamed down her cheeks. Quickly Hatori took her to his office and laid her down on the floor. She laid flat on her back, knowing it was Hatori that was helping her.
 
He took off her shirt and threw it aside, it was now bloody and he was sure she wouldn't want it anymore either way. His bag, which was next to his desk, was now next to him, his left hand rummaging through the organized bag and pulled out his supplies while his right felt around her ribs and stomach. A black bruise was forming over her diaphragm; it was lucky for her that she could actually breathe now. Yet fortunately, she only had two broken ribs and a bruised stomach. It appeared that Akito had punched her, hard.
 
Hatori worked quickly and wrapped and applied the correct treatment gently on Noami. She had passed out while he carried her. Hatori decided as he placed his white coat on her frame that she would be staying the night, and probably get her another shirt.