Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Musouka ~ Dare to Dream ❯ Tohru's Realization ( Chapter 24 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Twenty-Four
 
It is possible to store the mind with a million facts and still be entirely uneducated.
 
Alec Bourne
 
Tohru's Realization
 
I hate math… Eriko growled mentally as she tried not to slouch in the chair.
 
English is dull… Eriko glared at the chalkboard.
 
And science definitely takes the cake…Eriko thought miserably as she propped her head on her arm, it was the eighth and final period of the school day, and it felt like it an eternity for her to arrive at this time as she felt the clock's hands were going a little too slow for her taste. Unfortunately Yuri's prediction she was unaware of was unluckily true, as far as the school day goes, she hadn't made one friend, instead, it seemed that no one even tried to make friends with the Fox.
“Did you see the new girl? She hangs out with Honda and Kyo Sohma,” a girl murmured to another few girls. She stopped and stared at their backs, they were not aware of her existence that stood behind them, allowing them to go on. “She doesn't look all that tough, she looks a lot like that Psychic girl doesn't she?”
 
Her thoughts reverted back to Saki Hanajima, besides the fact that she reads denpa waves (she sensed it) she knew she was a good person, or a good alley and not a good person to upset. But if naïve Tohru Honda could take her, so could Eriko. But the people Eriko couldn't stand, were gossipers.
 
“She better not have a relationship with him! He's my-”
 
“Your what?” Eriko asked dangerously, all the girls jumped and stared at her in a disgusted (and frightened) way. “Oh? I thought I didn't look that tough,”
 
“W-we're n-not afraid of y-you V-v-ixen!” one of the girls forced out, Eriko raised a brow.
 
“You're stuttering, and why give me such a flattering nickname?” Eriko asked.
 
“A boy in our class said you resembled one and Vixen is a familial name for someone like you!” another girl said.
 
“Oh? Is this boy just so happened to be Yasashiku Sanotomono hm?” Eriko asked.
 
“No! …”
 
“Yes,”
 
“Fine! He is the one who told us! But don't lay a finger on Yasashiku-kun!” the girl closest to her snarled.
 
“I wouldn't hurt him, he is after all my cousin and I favor his creativity.” Eriko answered with a smirk, scaring the girls even further.
 
“Cut it out Eriko,” the girls' faces broke out in smiles as Yasashiku approached, he looked quite arrogant. Eriko figured it was because it was probably the time to show off himself to them, Eriko thought it was lucky of him that Myuu didn't mind the people attracted to him. “They are only freshmen like myself that know no better.”
 
“Is she really your cousin Yasashiku sir?” a girl asked.
 
“She is, an older one in fact.” That made them silent, but it didn't last for long.
 
“How can you two even be related? She's nothing like you Yasashiku!”
 
“Actually being related to her does have good and bad advantages, such as arrogant behavior.”
 
Don't start you baka Raion! Eriko thought, he was comparing again, he hadn't changed in the last few months.
 
“I also have a few bad qualities such as the evil glare, but enough about myself why don't you girls scurry on to class and I'll join you in a minute.” Yasashiku said, the girls seemed willing to jump off the Golden Bridge so nonetheless, they ran down the halls and into their classrooms. Then Yasashiku turned serious and looked at Eriko.
 
“Don't make a crisis Eriko,” he said.
 
“What? Are you accusing me of what those girls were talking about? I don't even know them and in fact, this is my first hour here and there are already rumors about me, does that not tell you anything?” Eriko retorted.
 
“It tells me that there's a girl in front of me in dire need of an attitude adjustment?” Yasashiku joked; it didn't lighten her spirits.
 
“You're not helping Raion.” She hissed, he held up his hands in defense.
 
“No need to get testy Eriko, but try to be friendly, I know it's not easy for you, but things will just get harder for you if you can't learn to accept others, more importantly yourself.”
 
Accepting myself, a load of help that did! Eriko growled mentally, if only that stupid Lion would keep himself in his own business her life would probably be a load easier, well, it would be if everyone just vanished. Wouldn't it? If you had the fate of the Fox wouldn't you want to stay away from people avoid having contact with eyes and seal walls around your heart to evade feelings for someone, because they would only hurt once you have gone.
 
She looked to her left, Kyo was sitting in the seat next to the girl that sat at her left and he looked downright bored. She figured he would rather be failing miserably in beating up Yuki than sit in the classroom with nothing to do but listen to things you possibly already know.
 
“Sanotomono! Read passage 28,” the teacher ordered in an edgy tone, she looked down at the book. No way was she going to read that aloud in this class no no no no no. This was a health class, so what are students more likely taught in their eleventh year just to review something Eriko hated anything more than being the Fox. Not that she would have minded, but it just reminded her that she wouldn't be able to make children!
 
“Whatever,” she replied, some of the students snickered while other hid their faces behind their book covers to avoid being caught laughing. Unfortunately, the teacher didn't see Eriko's discomfort and made her do so, but it wasn't like he would have given the task to someone else even if he did see it. Eriko cleared her throat and caught a glimpse of Kyo's face, well, what she could see of it anyway.
 
Kyo wasn't a pervert thankfully, but he knew what was bothering her and had faced away from her and pretended to peer out the window with his right arm propped up, his shoulders were shaking occasionally, and he was hiding fits of laughter. He would get it later, but it seemed that Tohru was uncomfortable as well as she was beat red in the back row with Yuki across from her trying to busy himself by staring at the clock. The other students continued their snickering and hiding their faces behind their book covers. Why now and why her?
 
“The female genitals consist of two glands called ovaries that are responsible for producing eggs and female sex hormones. Once women reach sexual maturity, they experience a hormone regulated monthly fertility cycle known as a menstrual cycle. These hormones control the maturation and release of an egg from one of the ovaries every month, and they affect the lining of the womb making it ready to receive a fertilized egg. Mature eggs are released from the ovary and move along the fallopian tube to the uterus. If an egg is fertilized, it tries to embed itself in the uterus wall, ready to develop into a fetus. If no egg becomes implanted, the uterus lining is shed, and this results in a flow of menstrual blood, know as the 'period'.” Eriko read quickly but clearly, then sat back and sighed heavily, it didn't seem much to some people but it was enough to have Eriko lose her dignity. Eriko believed they shouldn't be taught this together, more like in gender-separated rooms!
 
“Good, now, Kyo Sohma,” It was Eriko's turn to hide her fits as Kyo's face bolted towards the teacher with pure disgust, the next passage was about the menstrual cycle. Yuki continued to stare at the clock and Tohru continued looking at the book with a bright red face, Eriko was now happy she was picked first, it only meant she wouldn't be picked again.
 
“Oh come on Orangetop, you'll have to learn about at some point.” Uo teased.
 
“Shut up Yankee! And besides I already know it! But I don't need to be reminded!” Kyo snapped.
 
“Passage 29 please Sohma-kun.” The teacher repeated, Kyo snarled and turned to the book, leaving a smirking Uo.
 
“Day one of the menstrual cycle is marked by the beginning of a period, also known as 'menstruation'. During menstruation, the thick uterus (womb) lining, which built up during the previous menstrual cycle, is released along with blood and mucus. The uterus contracts to force out the old lining.” Kyo read, his face turning a new shade of color as each word passed, Eriko wanted to laugh so hard by this point, but this reminded her that she would be starting in a week or so, perfect…
 
“Excellent, now you Miss Yukima,” Thank goodness, he was going with another person now, but there were several passages to go and several more students to pick on with another thirty minutes to go. But the laughter only rose when Yuki was picked to read about women's breasts, that got a lot of the people going as some students had already considered Yuki as a princess!
 
Poor guy…Eriko thought as he began reading, but she didn't listen, instead her mind wandered off again.
The bell finally rang and every single one of the students ran out of the room the quickest they could and get to their lockers. Eriko got to hers quickly and when she shut it, she discovered Tohru behind it.
 
“Hello Honda,” Eriko greeted cheerlessly, there was no point in being happy when the girl had more then plenty of the emotion already.
 
“Hello Eriko-chan! I was wondering if you could go shopping with me today? Yuki has student council and Kyo is going to his master's dojo to get some training in and of course to visit him.” Tohru explained, Eriko had nothing else to do for the day unless she wanted to sleep, but she wasn't tired, so what harm could happen while she was at the store with Tohru.
 
“Sure,” she answered.
 
“Yay! Then let's go!”
 
Several moments later Eriko and Tohru were outside walking down the street, Eriko asked why she didn't bring Haru and Momiji. She said that last time they stayed out too long their driver got sick of waiting and threatened that they would walk home next time they didn't appear at the time they agreed upon departure from the school. Eriko asked why they couldn't have the driver take them to the store then; Tohru answered that it was orders from the Head she supposed.
 
“So who's the Head of the Sohmas?” Eriko asked.
 
“His name is Akito Sohma,” Tohru answered.
 
“Must be really busy if he can't make a few visits every now and then.” Eriko said, she remembered that at least once a month Mei would come over, and thus, Kaede as well. The visits were actually quite short since Kaede pulled several tricks over a short period of time and Mei ran after her in hopes of stopping her mischievous ways, miserably, she failed.
 
“It's not like that,” Tohru said.
 
“How is it than?” Eriko asked, she shook her head softly.
 
“It's not my place to say,” Tohru said, looking up at Eriko with bright eyes and a sad smile. Eriko eyed her aqua orbs; there was something abnormal about them. Sadness wove itself around her irises, but so did determination and happiness, but something else caught her eye, it was an unsure emotion, but Eriko tried to decipher it, but didn't succeed.
 
“You all right?” she asked.
 
“I'm actually quite happy today, Eriko? What do you think of the Sohmas?” Tohru asked.
 
“Well, that's a question out of the blue. What do you feel about them?”
 
“I asked you first,” she said with a teasing tone that was something she never heard out of Tohru before if she ever had. Eriko figured it had something to do with that strange gleam in her eyes, it was certainly was not always there, she didn't see it on the first day she saw her nor on the last day before they saw each other before Christmas, but the feeling looked a little away from fresh.
 
“I find them interesting and likable, a lot better then mine anyhow.” Eriko replied.
 
“You're lucky you and the Sohmas have a family,” That's right! She never heard about Tohru's background, heck, she barely knew anything about the girl she walked next to, barely even close to a good friend. But maybe that was the reason for the sadness to lurk in her aquatic depths…
 
“You don't have one?” Eriko asked calmly.
 
“I do, but only a grandfather and a few cousins. I'm not really close to them but my grandfather is the best. My mom died a couple of years ago and my father passed away when I was little from a fever.” Tohru explained. It must have been hard for her no doubt. Eriko felt instantly rotten, she had a loving family that included Yuri, Sarah, and Dikatou. Then there was Mei, Aikoko, Ginry, and Aunt Kita. Yet she pushed them aside like trash when she was talking to someone who had little. It was astounding to how Tohru was smiling still; she wondered how much more she could take before the facial reassurance was gone forever.
 
“Sorry,” Eriko mumbled.
 
“Oh! There's nothing to be sorry about! There was nothing anyone could do about it,” Tohru replied.
 
“No, I'm sorry about how I have been.” Eriko corrected.
 
“You're-”
 
“I haven't been the kindest person in the world to you, not to a lot of people if I was to anyone at all. You see, I'm…never mind…”
 
“You know, it's a lot better if you tell people about it, you know about your feelings, dreams and stuff like that. When I do, it makes me feel a lot better, like my heart was relieved, like when I'm carrying three bags at my job, when Momiji helps me, it feels like the work is so much lighter.” Tohru explained, Eriko's eyes widened down at her, she really was astounding.
 
“Well…if you put it that way, I'm just really scared about…the future. I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I feel like I'm completely different from others, separated from their existence's and have a much more different purpose then they do.” She was careful not mention anything about her fate, it would blow her cover after all.
 
“You're right, a lot of people are afraid of the future, I'm one of those people.” Tohru said. “I'm not sure how I will be able to raise enough money for myself or for others, how I can use whatever skills I have to make a difference in others lives. But what really separates us are our feelings.”
 
“Our feelings?”
 
“Yes, our feelings for one another and about different things make us what we are, whether I wear white while you wear black, it doesn't change the fact that we're people, it doesn't change that fact that we're beings born on this planet for a reason we must decide for ourselves, that reason is for us only, something we decide to do all by ourselves and no one else can decide it for us.” Tohru explained, and she was right, on everything she said. Eriko looked up at the sky as they walked.
 
Did it really matter what fate thought? Didn't it matter what she thought? Everyone did care that she was the Fox, the lowest air-breathing creature on the planet, and to think people worship Inari, the Rice God that was neither female nor male but represented a fox.
 
“So…it only matters how I feel right?”
 
“Absolutely,”
 
“I might be out of place here, but you don't seem to care very much about your own feelings.” Eriko pointed out, she nearly fell, and because of that and the comment she blushed.
 
“Oh well…I have too much to worry about you know…. to worry about my own feelings it's what other people's feelings are that…really concern me…” Tohru tried to explain to her, but unknown to her, Eriko understood perfectly.
 
As much as I thought how fate would bring my end in this world someday…sometime soon after graduation…I never really paid attention to how I felt about it, it was always how the Fox felt about it, not myself, not the Eriko Sanotomono, always the Fox. But now I see it…how she cares so much about everybody, how she's so buoyant…she really looks into people and walks around in their skin, I should have tried that, the times I could have…but it's too late, you showed me Tohru Honda, but I'm afraid it won't matter for long…I only have till the end of the next year…to truly live a proper human life…
 
“You're truly a great person Honda,” Eriko complemented, she blushed harder.
 
“No n-no I'm not I'm just t-trying to help you and well-”
 
“Don't worry Honda, I won't tell anyone,” Eriko joked.
 
…and to learn to love everyone I meet and not just people like Kyo…
 
“So what's you're favorite foods? You never told me,” Tohru asked.
 
“I guess nikujaga (meat and potatoes) and rice, but I usually make it myself.” Eriko answered, “Why?”
 
“I thought it would be a nice welcome back treat since we didn't celebrate your return.” Tohru replied, her eyes widened.
 
“You would do that…for me?”
 
“Of course, you're back with us, just you being here is enough to re-celebrate New Years Eve!” Tohru cried happily.
 
“That would be great of you Honda, thank you so much.” Eriko replied.
 
Thank you…
 
After walking into the store and gathering up what they needed like milk, rice, and the ingredients for nikujaga, they were out of the store in at least thirty minutes. By this time Eriko and Tohru were smiling, they seemed frozen on their lips, not wanting to go away, if ever. Though Eriko was holding two bags in only her left hand, Tohru was carrying one in her left (she insisted on carrying at least one since Eriko offered to carry all three).
 
“I can't believe we're reviewing puberty, can you believe that?” Eriko asked, Tohru blushed again, remembering the earlier events, as luck would have it, she wasn't picked to read.
 
“Well, it's just to get ready for the final exams of the year.” Tohru mentioned.
 
“True,”
 
A few more minutes passed and it wouldn't have taken long for them to reach Shigure's house.
 
“Good thing I'm off today,” Tohru sighed, “I needed to get those supplies.”
 
“I could have gotten them for you…where do you work at?”
 
“At the Sohma Consecutive Building, I'm a janitor there,” Tohru answered. It was then that they approached a street to cross. By the time they were halfway across, Eriko heard the fast engine of a car from their right.
 
“Watch out Honda!” Eriko cried out as she lunged on top of the Onigiri, the car whizzed by, followed by a small poof!
 
“WATCH WHERE YA GOIN' MORONS!” The driver roared from his window as he sped down the road, no one else came.
 
“Are you all right Eriko? Eriko?” Tohru looked down to spot a little black fox sitting outside of Eriko's collar, it's little steely blue eyes looked up at her in the most frightened gaze she had ever seen an animal give. She knew it instantly, it was Eriko.
 
Nagai nagai sakamichi no tochuu de tsumazuite
 
Itai nani ka ga kirete mou arukenai
 
“OH NO! I TURNED YOU INTO AN ANIMAL I'M SO SORRY!” Tohru cried out picking up Eriko and putting her right in front of her face.
 
“Quiet down Honda!”
 
Tsumasaki tachi mitai na hibi demo itsuka kitto
 
Tsuyoku naritai to miageru sora wa takaku
 
“NO NO NO! IT'S MY FAULT I KNOW!”
 
“Quiet! Someone will hear you!”
 
Yorokobi mo kanashimi mo fui ni watashi o tamesu
 
Mou ikudo koeta darou
 
Hitori nakiakashita yoake
 
“I MUST HAVE DID SOMETHING TELL ME WHAT I DID!”
 
“I'm fine and you did nothing so quiet! Honda!”
 
“I'm sorry!”
 
“Honda!” she cried back in a harsh and cold tone, Tohru went silent and stared at the little fox, now Eriko could see the little gears spinning in her head.
 
Chiisa na kesshin kurikaeshi aruite yuku no
 
Harahara to yuki no mau michi mo haru ni wa hana
 
“This is perfectly natural, well for me anyway, I'm…I'm…the Fox…” Eriko admitted, Tohru seemed to have noticed something and gave Eriko a sympathetic expression, it seemed that she knew of her condition.
 
“I've heard of the tales of the Fox,” Tohru said. That earned a surprised glance from the black kitsune, she looked up at her aquatic orbs and blushed slightly from embarrassment.
 
Kizutsukeau hi ga aru keredo demo heiki
 
Hontou wa dare mo ga yasashikute motomeatteru
 
“It's not really important…”
 
“You're fated to run away…aren't you?”
 
“Yes…it's my fate…soon after graduation…” They stood there in silence, Tohru wondered…could she have been cursed this whole time? Maybe that was why she avoided contact with others, because she transformed when she was embraced. Maybe that's how…
 
Kanashikute kanashikute kokoro chigiresou na yoru
 
Sore demo nao shinjite miru
 
Hosoi kibou tsunaide
 
“Are you all right with it?”
 
“With Eriko living there you mean?”
“Yes,”
 
So the whole time, Yuri was worried about Eriko, how she would fit in, how she would deal with everyday life because of her fate. On the night of the `accident', her family must have been so worried and scared when they found her gone with only a bloody incident left behind and a fainted girl. The Fox, she knew she had a terrible fate and a story many still reminded her of that was never caused by her.
 
“Eriko, you've been distant all your life because you were the Fox right?” Tohru asked, the fox nodded, her eyes trembled, it made Tohru's heart tighten and her eyes welled up as well. “Is that why you were always so sarcastic? Avoiding other people?” Once again she received a nod, Tohru remembered the incident at the zoo, how she almost hugged the girl, she only flicked her away.
 
Koraete mo koraete mo ochiru namida nara ii no
 
Ame ga furu hageshiku furu
 
Subete o nagashiteku
 
“I'm scared, it's a fate generations before me dealt with and now it's my turn. And now, I finally see life as it should be, but fate will never allow me to live freely.” Eriko explained. “And all I ever wanted I never got…just because I'm the Fox…”
 
It's the Fox!
 
She's `his' spy, she must be spying on us to report to `him'!
 
Would she really do that?
 
She didn't want to be part of the Zodiac in the first place remember?
 
So the legend is correct?
 
Of course! The Fox thought she was too good for us and refused the `God's' offer!
 
“It's not fair…I wish I were you Honda, I could make choices for myself and I could walk under the sun and moon with a smile on my face and think positive…” Eriko cried, tears streaming down her face by this point. “And all because I refused the offer! Because I can never be excepted as I am!”
 
Ikiru no wa kurushii no onaji kurai suteki na no
 
Ima o koete koko o koete
 
Mata waratte misete
 
More horrible than the Cat…
 
I'm surprised it wasn't the Fox whom tricked the Cat, the Rat doesn't seem to be the kind…
 
Yes, I agree, the Fox is much more easier to believe of such trickery!
 
But the truth is the Rat did it…
 
But the Fox was given the option, and she refused…
 
She is not apart of us, nor is she like the Cat, she is the only one to ever be so close to `God' than any of us!
 
She is different…
 
She is a cut-throat…
She should be lynched for her stupidity…
 
“You're wrong Eriko,” Tohru replied; her thumb wiping the tears away, only leaving behind the trails. “You did not refuse God's offer, the Fox did. And because she didn't accept, she was not part of any zodiac, but because of her action you were cursed. But she made that choice on her own, so it gives you complete rights of free speech as well.”
 
“That's where you're wrong Honda, I have no choices to make for a future! I don't even have the choice to be able to visit your restaurant or be married and have kids…I won't have those privileges because I would be long gone rotting in some riverbank!” Eriko cried, her tears running over Tohru's fingers.
 
Yorokobi mo kanashimi mo sono te ni dakishimete yukeru
 
“But you can at least enjoy life now, when you have the chance.” Tohru replied with a smile.
 
“…” Can I? With the wake of my destiny just on the horizon? Eriko mentally asked, but she didn't want to ask Tohru, she knew she already bore enough pain, she didn't need to burden her with her own troubles.
 
“But besides…there's always the chance that you can fight it! There's always a chance, I should know. After my mother died, I was talking to a photo of her (I still do though) but then I met the Sohmas, who were so kind that they took me in. And if there's one thing they taught me, is that if we stay together we can be together…forever…”
 
Poof!
 
Together forever? That seemed like an impossibility to her as she dressed herself behind Tohru's blushing face. But who knows? She smiles, yeah, who knows what will happen in the future…
 
“I wouldn't be surprised if you never run away…”
 
“But Eriko…I want you to know, no matter what you are.” Tohru began. “We'll stay together, friends forever to the end.”
 
“That sounds like something to look forward to.” Eriko replied with a new spring in her step.
 
“But Eriko, it had already begun.”
 
“We're back!” Tohru cried as they stepped into Shigure's house.
 
“Oh, welcome back you two…erm…Eriko? What happened you look a bit…ruffled, so do you Tohru,” Shigure pointed out when he poked out from behind a wall. Then Yuki appeared and Kyo was on the stairs.
 
“We had a bit of an accident on the way home, no big deal.” Eriko answered.
 
“So, did you two have a chance to get to know one another?” Yuki asked.
 
“Yes, in fact, when we were on the way home we were talking about-! A restaurant? Why would you think I would want a restaurant?” Tohru asked in a puzzled tone, looking at Eriko, she sweat-dropped.
 
“Restaurant?” The boys said together.