Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Musouka ~ Dare to Dream ❯ Saki and Megumi Hanajima ( Chapter 29 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: The lines in bold (except the ones about Eriko) belong to Natsuki Takaya from Furuba, volume 9.
 
Chapter Twenty-Nine
 
Action is eloquence.
 
William Shakespeare
 
Saki and Megumi Hanajima
 
I don't know how I came to get here, but all I want to know now is if…anyone actually wants me…? Needs me? What would I be to others if the Fox didn't possess me?
“I suppose whatever your distress signals are have nothing to do with us? Or school? Is that correct?” Eriko jumped and looked to her right, it was Saki Hanajima. The girl had a way of giving her a fright, even if she could sense her own presence, but sometimes it was so faint and quick she never knew she was there till she said something. It was freaky enough to make Eriko jump out of her skin! But then again, Eriko never has jumped that high, she was never that athletic.
“Distress signals? Oh right, forgot…denpa waves…” Eriko muttered to herself, mentally slapping herself. She was becoming more forgetful, not to mention how tired she has been becoming lately. “But there isn't any need to worry, I'm fine.” Eriko answered quickly as she remembered the question and gathered up her books. The bell rung two minutes ago, she must have been so far in outer space that she didn't even notice people staring at her (including the teacher) as they filed out of the classroom.
“If you're wondering, I told Kyo off, so he won't be bothering us. I actually said you were going to come over to my house for a bit, if that is all right with you?” Hana explained, Eriko hoped she wouldn't have to ask. But go over to her house? There wouldn't have been a problem if she had ever been asked to go over to someone else's house. Trips to Shigure's house were out of orders from her former parents.
“Fine with me,” Eriko replied, earning her cool back. She didn't like flipping out, but she didn't like being so…self-centered or so she thought of herself all the time either. She supposed trying to make people at least comfortable around her was enough.
“All right then, follow me.” Hana said as she turned around, Eriko quickly followed her. As they walked through the intersection of a street, Eriko began to wonder. Why did Hana want her to come over to her house? Did she have something to talk about? If so then what about? And why? Eriko sighed, she hated questions. Eventually they came to the subway, Eriko continued her pondering. Just hoping that she wouldn't be seeing a western house that was considered haunted when she went to a `Fearfest' when she was little. She hated haunted houses, but she never showed it, it was mostly stupid anyway.
“So what is wrong?” Hana suddenly asked, Eriko blinked. What was wrong? How was she supposed to answer that? She didn't know that answer herself…But Eriko had to say something, or Hana would probably guess, and probably guess right.
“It's nothing really,” Eriko answered, Hana continued walked ahead without glancing back or faltering in her casual walk. The girl was full of mysteries, thought Eriko, but maybe, Hana thought the exact same thing about her. She wouldn't know for sure if she didn't ask before she did.
“It is not nothing, your waves are radiating off as if stress itself was making them. If you do not wish to tell of what you are going through, just be warned that those kind of things will drive you further and further away from people and your surroundings.” Hana said, they walked through the automatic doors and sat down, Eriko was across from Hana, surprisingly, they were the only ones of the subway tram.
“Did you go through the same thing?” Eriko asked.
“What would give anything away about me?”
“You certainly stand out like a sore thumb Hanajima, there is no way you can be like this under normal circumstances.” Eriko answered with a small smile, “Not that I mean it in a mean way that is.”
“It is quite all right, I am well aware that I can't possibly be the only person on the planet with such abnormality. But it is reassuring if there are people I can talk to that understand what I must have had to go through. But as you know, I am the only psychic in the school, so no one knows completely of my hardship in the past.” Hana explained.
“I can understand that, Honda and Uotani are your closest friends right? So you can tell them what you can in words, but the rest of the pain is too unbearable to feel let alone explain.” Eriko stated, looked at the floor as the subway began to move.
“You do seem to understand, that is good, it means I didn't waste any of our time.” Hana replied.
Our time? You shouldn't have to worry about your own… Eriko thought. “But being a psychic and all, you must feel uptight and alone in the world huh? Being put through things that people around you have no idea about, making you go through the pain by yourself.”
“Yes, people who are strange or different tend to be the one left out of the group.” Hana stated.
“Of course, only those who experience that difference can understand fully.” Eriko replied, sighing as she closed her eyes.
“That is a fact, but you are wrong with one thing.” Hana began, “When I was young, I was forced to endure these powers at a high level to where I could hear voices I don't want to hear, I couldn't even go to a playground, where I would hear over twenty children and their own parents talking and thinking at the same time. It was bothersome you could say, as I grew older people began to discover that I had these powers and sometimes dared to see if the rumors were true.”
 
“Uh…are you sure we should be doing this?”
“Just hold her tight!”
 
“Let's turn up the heat!”
 
“Teacher! Hanajima-san was playing with matches!”
“She…even burned her arm!”
“We tried to stop her, but…”
 
I can imagine that…Eriko thought, looking up at Hana, her expression hadn't changed, but she saw her eyes waver. Eriko thought no one deserved the pain they were forced to take without a choice, because Eriko herself, was possibly the reason the two zodiacs were even in possession of the Sanotomono and Sohma family. If only she didn't refuse the offer…
“But the only reason people discovered these out-of-the-ordinary powers of mine were from some unfortunate events back in elementary school, when I almost killed a student…”
 
“EWW! She ate it!”
“She really is a witch! Scary!”
 
Be quiet…if I'm a witch…what are you?
 
“Ever since then, people somehow heard these rumors, and as time flew, my parents decided to move. When I was transferred here, I met Tohru-chan and Uo-chan. Ever since we met, we were the best of friends. But it wasn't till they found out as well, of what I committed so long ago. But when they asked if I wanted to stay…my answer was…yes, I did want to stay here, I wanted to, I wanted to be with them, I wanted to be together forever. And if it weren't for them, or my family, I don't think I would be this Saki Hanajima today.” Hana said, they were quiet for a moment. The subway's engine and the tram running along the tracks was the only thing that made any noise.
Maybe it wouldn't be so bad, to tell her that she wasn't alone so long ago, when she was forced to endure something similar to what Eriko had to go through.
 
“It bothers you that much Eri-chan?” Sarah asked as they left the theater early, Yuri was close to Dikatou as Eriko walked along behind them.Sarah held out her hand to the Fox, she stared at it.
“Of course, it reminds me of why the fox generation has tried to repent for its ways…”
 
If there was anything the both of them knew, was that it would give no better comfort, but to say `I understand', whether it was why you understood, what you understood, how you understood, as long as you understood something they were put through. Nothing else could have put that one certain person's mind to ease except that simple statement, it was something Eriko longed for as well.
“I understand,” Eriko stated, this earned her a baffled stare from Hana. “I understand what you went through. I went through awful years when I was young as well, I was scared to make contact with people because of what I am, afraid they might get involved somehow in a crisis not meant for them, but for me. Back then the best thing that came to mind was to keep my distance from other people. Not speak to people, not do things with other people, not belong in a group or club. I didn't want anyway to be harmed because of me, and I didn't want my being to get in other people's way. But if there is anything in the world that could end the agony and bring fourth happiness, I would say it has already come, if only people would be more like her, or even give her a chance.”
Hana knew instantly that Eriko was talking about Tohru, and she smiled herself, Eriko and Hana made eye-contact and they're shoulders began to shake. Almost instantly they began laughing, both worries were driven from their minds and heavy burdens from the past lifted for that one event. Being able to laugh something off like nothing happened was something both of them wished they could have done earlier.
At that moment, Eriko forgot she was the Fox, forgot where she was going, and forgot her fate. She had never been so happy, but to be here on a train that held someone else that went through something similar was a great way to bring up a truce. When they calmed down, they looked up at one another again.
“We are close to the next station,” Hana stated as her normal expression returned. Eriko began to laugh again. “What's so funny?”
“Sorry, but now I find how strange you are at the moment. You should try smiling and laughing more, that way, it would make it easier for the person you would share the future with easier to find you.” Eriko answered, making Hana blink.
 
“I can't believe that there's not one person out there…who wouldn't love Saki.”
“So who ever you are please come to meet her…”
 
“You're right,” Hana admitted as she smiled, Eriko's laughter ceased, but she continued to giggle. “You should try it more too, who knows just how many more suitors might come and visit you.”
“That would anger Kyo,” they laughed together again. As they stepped off the subway and came to the surface. Hana and Eriko began heading to her house from there. They were silent, but their smiles told the world that they were too happy to be insulted.
“This is it,” Hana said as they came to a regular Japanese home.
Thank goodness it's normal! Eriko thought with a sigh as they went up to the front door.
“I'll go and get some snacks, you can make yourself at home while I'm at it.” Hana said as she left Eriko in her room, Eriko took the chance to look around. It was normal, but whether it was dark and creepy or bright and sunny Eriko wouldn't care, she had the chance to get to know Hana, and now she wouldn't regret it.
“Hm…you're not Tohru Honda. Nor Arisa Uotani.” That made Eriko jumped out of her skin practically, she neither sensed, heard, scented, or even spotted the person to her right. Cautiously she looked in that direction, her expression instantly changed into a softer face as she saw it was only a young boy probably in middle school. His black hair and violet eyes immediately told her he was Hana's younger brother.
“Oh! No, I'm not, I'm Eriko Sanotomono.” Eriko stated, the boy, who was half-hidden by a shoji door stood up, and walked out of what could have been his room. He slid it shut behind him and went on the side of the table across from Eriko.
“It wasn't such a good idea giving me your name.” He said.
“Erm…why not?”
“She is one of my friends Megumi, no need to cast any curses.” It was Hana; she placed a tray of snacks on the table and sat on the left side of the table. Eriko looked from one sibling to the other.
“You two look very much alike.” Eriko stated.
“No, we don't,” they said back in unison, making Eriko sweat-drop.
Yes, you do! “So, what about those curses you were talking about Hana-chan?” Eriko asked. Hana looked from her to her brother.
“I place curses on people, but simply knowing their name.” Megumi answered.
That's not good, good thing I'm now considered a friend of Hana's! Eriko thought as the two Hanajimas began to eat at the snacks Hana brought in.
“So were you born with that power like Hana-chan, Megumi-kun?” Eriko asked, he looked up at her plainly.
“No, I learned to do it, so Saki wouldn't be the only one.” Megumi answered, Hana smiled at this, and Megumi noticed. Eriko simply smiled as well.
I would like a younger sibling like that, someone to be proud of. But somehow I sense the oddity they both share, Hana seems depressed…could it be because she never wanted her brother to learn those curses? Would she have rather have been the only one? Eriko thought, Hana changed the subject and began a conversation about the new anime Megumi was taking a fondness of. Eriko never heard of it, so she let the two talk on. But she couldn't help but realize, the pride they both had, and admiration over one another.
“Eriko-chan is it? I have a question for you,” Megumi said, Eriko looked down at him. “Would you consider Saki as a friend?”
“Well, yes, I do.” Eriko admitted.
“Why?”
“Now Megumi, you know as well as I do when someone like Tohru and Uo state that their friends, they mean it. And I know for certain, that Eriko is no different.” Hana stated.
“Is that so, then I suppose you're a friend of mine as well. You like dumplings?” Megumi suddenly asked.
“Um…yes?”
“Then how you like to have a dumpling eating contest?”
“Not now Megumi,”
“You're on!”
“I'll go get the food then,” Hana sighed.
“I can cook them,”
“No, you stay here.” Hana said as she smiled and left the room.
“Thank you,” Megumi whispered, but Eriko heard him.
“Why?”
“For being my sister's friend, for every friend she has, it's someone else to live for and recognize through your life. I also think, she thinks of you as friend too,” Megumi said, Eriko blushed slightly, a new friend? That was a nice feeling…
“And to let you know, I'm also your friend as well Megumi-kun.” Eriko said, Megumi looked up at her.
“Do you know Tohru Honda?” he asked, she nodded. “You kind of resemble her,”
“No, I don't. We're completely different people, she would do much more to help the world then I could ever do,” Eriko replied.
“That's true, but she also has her regrets. But you have many more don't you? You shouldn't have to worry about that, regrets are something of the past, things not to be forgotten, but things not to be shoved away like nothing either. Things of the past are sometimes painful, don't you agree? But the only way you can repent for those things, are not to run away from it, but to learn from it.” Megumi explained. Eriko looked down at her hands, which were not on the table's surface, clamped together.
“I'm sure you know those feelings well Eriko-chan, but running away from them is never the answer, because sooner or later, they'll catch up with you and make you relive the memories you never wanted to remember.” Megumi continued. “That is something Saki has now overcome, but something you need to be able to overcome. But she didn't do it alone, eventually after she was transferred to Kaibara; she met Tohru and Uo. They became friends, but if not for them, Saki would probably have lost the person I admire so much.”
“She's lucky…” Eriko muttered, “…to have a brother like you.” She said as she looked up at Megumi, the first thing she noticed was the smile on his face. They both shared the same smile, he and Hana, they were the perfect pair of siblings she had ever met.
“Sorry I took so long, are you ready Megumi? Eriko?” Hana asked as she finally came in with a bowl of dumplings for the both of them.
“Don't you want any Hana-chan?” Eriko asked.
“No, I prefer the snacks.”
I think maybe one day Hana, one day…
“Eat them as fast as you can, the one with the empty bowl wins.” Megumi explained in a bored tone.
“Ready, set, go!” Hana said, starting the contest.
Someone will come and sweep you off your feet…
Around seven forty Eriko mentioned that she probably had to leave now, Hana and Megumi agreed. But before she left the building, Eriko turned to the two.
“There's something you should know…”
 
“Our Eriko is finally back from the Psychic's Lair!” Shigure cried as Eriko walked in at eight that night, almost instantly being greeted by Shigure, the first greeter.
“I'm so happy you're back Eriko-chan!” Tohru cried. Kyo rounded a corner with his usual ticked expression, but his eyes waved `welcome back' and Yuki came down the stairs to greet her as well.
“All right! Hurry up! We had to wait forever for you to get back so we could eat!” Kyo suddenly shouted.
“Sorry about that! We were having fun!” Eriko said.
“Fun? At that psychic's place?!” Kyo cried.
“It's not that bad, you should come over some time with Tohru and I,” Eriko said.
“YOU'RE NUTS!”
“But it really isn't that bad Kyo-kun-”
“YOU'RE BOTH NUTS!!!”
“All right now, let's eat!” Shigure cried.
“Come on Miss Sanotomono, we have a place all prepared for dinner,” Yuki said as he, Eriko, Shigure, Tohru, and Kyo headed for the table.
“So what did you do while you were there Eriko?” Shigure asked.
“Well, we did have a dumpling eating contest…” Eriko answered.
“Don't cha think it could have been poisoned! Good grief common sense woman!” Kyo shouted.
“Hana-chan would never do something like that Kyo-kun!” Tohru said quickly with a nervous smile.
“That's true,” Eriko agreed.
“You wouldn't know that for certain!” Kyo growled.
“Shut up you stupid Cat, you don't know anything for certain either.” Yuki jumped in.
“DON'T TELL ME TO SHUT UP!!!” Eriko sighed.