Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ My Son ❯ I Guess Not ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Normally…people would avoid me…”
 
“Keep their distance…”
 
“So why do you care about me so much anyway?”
 
 
I Guess Not
 
 
 
Kyo blinked at Tohru before her words fully sunk in. His crimson eyes narrowed at her question.
 
“What did you just say?” he asked her dangerously. He had never used this tone with her before.
 
Tohru flinched at his voice. “Ah-um, I was just wondering if your mother really hated you like you said she did. I mean, I really don't see why she would,” she stuttered, not looking at him directly.
 
Kyo's fist clinched, fighting to keep from going off on her. Slowly he began to count backwards, the distraction taking some of the edge off of his anger. Turning around sharply so she wouldn't see his face, he began to storm off. “It's none of your business,” he hissed loud enough for her to hear.
 
Tohru watched as he walked away sadly. “Kyo-kun…”
 
~*~
 
“She saw me…”
 
She saw me…”
 
“She saw me…”
 
“It's over!”
 
“It's over. Everything…”
 
“It's all…”
 
“…hopeless.”
 
*
 
Why would she ask something like that? Shouldn't it be obvious? My mother hated me, she was ashamed of me. She never wanted me, wished I had never been born. It's just like it was with Momiji, except much worse. My mother actually pretended she loved me. Pretended my being a member of the zodiac didn't bother her.
 
No, I'm not a member of the zodiac. I'm the stupid cat, just like Yuki said.
 
*
 
“It's his fault! It's all his fault!”
 
“I'll kill him then I'll kill myself!”
 
“Then you'll be satisfied, right?”
 
“If I die too, you'll be satisfied, right?!”
 
*
 
I wonder what she would have said if she'd heard me say that. Would she have been disappointed? Would she have been happy? Or maybe she would have been saddened?
 
I remember, once, when she was checking my beads, I looked at her out of the corner of my eye. I nearly fell back when I saw her looking at me, her eyes looking real sad. I don't remember her looking so sad, like she was about cry and give up. Why would she look like that?
 
*
 
“You really were scared weren't you?”
 
“That's why every day, dozens of times…”
 
“You checked to make sure my beads hadn't come off, right?”
 
“You were ashamed weren't you?”
 
*
 
It was after that… that I started watching her. She never knew I was watching her watch me; she couldn't tell I was anyway, since I always hid it well. It kept me up at night sometimes, wondering why she would look at me like that. Like she actually cared.
 
*
 
“You won't even acknowledge the real me…”
 
“…so why are you always acting like you love me so much?”
 
*
 
Why did you act like you loved me so much? It's not like it would have mattered, you could have rejected me and it wouldn't have made a difference. You would have lived longer, a lot longer. So why keep me? All I did was cause you pain?
 
*
 
“Your mother loved you more than anyone!”
 
*
 
That's not it. She only acted like she did because she thought that's what a mother should do. Because she thought it would make me happy, to think that I was accepted by at least one person. I'm sorry mom, but you were a terrible actor.
 
Did my mom love me? No, of course not.
 
~*~
 
Tohru walked into Shigure's office with her head hung low. In her hands she clutched a worn leather book, one that looked older than several years.
 
“Ah Tohru-kun, how did it go?” the dog asked, not looking up from typing his manuscript. “Did you get an answer?”
 
She let out a huge sigh, causing Shigure to look up curiously. “No, he stormed off before I could ask anything else,” she told him tiredly.
 
“What did you expect? Kyo-kun's mother has always been a sore spot with him,” Shigure said, taking his glasses off. His dark eyes darted to the worn book in her hands. “Are you finished reading that?”
 
Tohru looked a bit surprised before regaining her bearings. “Ah-um, yes, if you could, please return this to Hatori-san. He probably wants it back now,” she said, handing the leather book to him.
 
“I'm sure it made for some interesting reading,” Shigure replied, taking it from her. “The journal of the mother of the cat, I mean. What did you think?”
 
Tohru looked down, a sad look in her blue eyes. “Kyo-kun's mother's journal was…very sad. I wish he knew how she really felt.”
 
“Perhaps it's best if he didn't. What would he do if all he has known was suddenly swept away?” he suggested knowingly.
 
Tohru nodded before turning to leave. “I'm going to go make dinner,” she said before closing the door behind her.
 
Shigure gave the door an understanding smile before going back to working on his manuscript. “Although, I think he probably would have appreciated the truth, too.”
 
Outside, Tohru sniffled and wiped away at the tears that had spilled over from her eyes. She looked up at the ceiling, imagining she could see Kyo through the wood. She could see him sitting with his head in his knees, trying to answer her question, to see if his anger toward his mother was justified.
 
`Kyo, did you know your mother loved you? No, I guess not.'
 
 
Fin
 
 
And there's the follow up, as promised. It's probably not as good as the first one, but I still got the basic gist out, right? Anyway, review and tell me what you think. Flames are appreciated, too. Anyway, this is done and I'll try to update all my other stories that need attention and stuff, particularly Rose Colored Moon. Really need to update that one. Anyway, review and yeah. ^_^
 
Oh, and another thing. I'm requiring at least ten reviews for every chapter in my multi-chapter stories that I write from here on out. I actually got about five or six for this one, so not too bad, but if you want me to update hard enough, help the poor by generously sending a review. As most people say, reviews make the author less suicidal…but I just want feedback.