Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Mystery of the Snow ❯ Chapter Two: A Trail of Dust ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: Hey hey, me again ^_^. This part of the story takes you deeper into the girl's connection to the Sohma family. So read and enjoy n.n
Mystery of the Snow
Chapter Two
 
The night had consumed the city, and if anything, the only light that still burned was the light in the Sohma Estate. Outside the gates, everyone was sleeping peacefully, but inside, there was a buzz of anxiety and worry. Akito sat at the head of the table, his fingers intertwined and his chin restingon top of the small bridge his hands created. He closed his eyes, listening to the chatter and arguing around him.
 
“She's a menace to this family! We should've slaughtered her when she was born! We should've listened to her sister. She told us that Runa was evil and we refused to believe her, and locked her away in a bamboo prison! And now look what she's done!”
 
“You're over reacting. We'll just get some of the guards to kill her on the spot when she arrives to seek revenge upon the boy that put her in that prison. Who was it again?”
 
“Oh yes, it was-,”
 
“Silence.” The whole room quieted down and turned to watch the Head ofHouse. He had awoken from his brief nap and now gazed contently around the room. An evil smile cracked on his lips. Unlike everyone else, he was not worried, or scared, or angry. He was just…excited. Nothing like this had happened for a long time,since he was a small boy.
 
“The boy that put her away is about her age, right?”
 
“Yes, I think so.”
 
“Good, then let her come.” The patrons gasped at this. Many glanced at each other for a mere lack of what to say. One brave soul stood up. He was about 6', with flat brown hair and blue eyes. He looked down at the rest of his family before looking Akito in the eye.
 
“Akito, this is absurd. Do you remember what she did last time? Why we put her away? We have got to put that boy into hiding as long as she is still loose. He's not safe with her out here!”
 
“Do any of you remember why she was put away?” The crowd was silent once again, looking at each other solemnly. Do you remember? No, me neither. The same message floated over and over again around the table.
 
“She…she was crazy!” The standing man sputtered finally.
 
“And what was her `crazy' crime? I'm crazy, you haven't locked me away…” he chuckled at the baffled looks of the people. Some even looked away in shame. “Don't act like that, you think I don't pay attention to your worthless gossip. It comes in handy sometimes you know. But I say just act like normal. When the girl Runa comes, then we'll see what happens. Go home and spank your children and fuck your wives and cook for your husbands. Let me handle this.”
 
“Yes, Akito sir.” One by one, the family members got up and filed from the room, if anything, more anxious then when they came in. Only one man remained. His black hair fell over his left eye,showingon a dark green right one. He sat at the table, remaining quiet as he had the whole meeting. Akito slid from his place at the table, walking next to the man's side.
 
“Hatori…you don't look happy…”
 
“Akito, there's a maniac loose, looking for someone in this family. You don't seem awfully concerned.”
 
Akito laughed, sending chills down Hatori's spine. “Let me guess. You think that the girl escaping was YOUR fault. It wasn't. The bitch snapped and was too much for the hospital. You just sit back and try to live like normal. I'll handle it like I said.”
 
The fire crackled to life in the dark alley way. Two men stood around it, warming their hands with it. One man, his face covered with a scarf, turned to his companion.
 
“Hey, you got anything to eat?” His friend shook his head, but proceeded to talk.
 
“Did you know, some psycho girl escaped from the local hospital yesterday? She's related to them Sohma's.” The first guy laughed, which briefly turned into a hacking cough. Once he'd recovered, he pulled dow his scarf and spat.
 
“Them Sohma's. Pompous jackasses all of them, prancing around and swimming in their wealth and flaunting it. I hate `em all. Wish they would just die.” His friend chuckled at the musings of the raving hobo.
 
“Right. You go ahead and go kill `em.”
 
Footsteps were heard behind them. “No, I already got that job taken.”The first man spun around, coming face to face with dark brown eyes. He gasped in fear, stumbling backwards past the fire can.
 
“You…you're the girl! The lunatic!” Runa blinked for a moment, suddenly laughing. She stood for a moment, her knife in one hand, the other clutching her arm, blood dripping down.
 
“The lunatic? Is that what they're calling me now? How pathetic. The media are fools, and they deserve to die, just like the rest of you.” A hand flung out. The knife flew from Runa's grasp,whistling through the air and embedding itself in the first hobo's throat. He gasped and gurled, blood pouring from his mouth before he fell to the ground, twitching and clutching at his throat.
 
The second hobo yelped out, backing away. “You-You crazy bitch!” he stuttered, pressing himself against the wall. But Runa was ignoring him. She walked a lap around the fire can, warming herself up. It was almost like she was purring, her tilting her head back as the heat washed over her.
 
Finally she stood back to where she first appeared, opposite the living man. He screamed at her utter nonsense for the longest time. Finally, words formed on his tongue.
 
“Wh-who are you?!?”
 
“Runa Sohma. Don't you forget it. I won't let you, I'll make sure you remember it forever.” With a swift movement, she had spun, planting a spin kick right at the can. It went flying, landing right at the man's feet. He howled as the flames consumed his ragged clothing,then slowly ate away at his flesh. He crumbled to the ground, screaming and clawing at the wall.
 
His eyes widened wildly as Runa slowly walked to him. She lowered her face level to his, but at a safe distance away from the flames. “Do you remember me?” she whispered to him, her words carried by the wind. But the man had turned to ash, the scent of burnt flesh evident in the air. Runa sighed, dusting off the old blood stained hospital gown.
 
“Damn it…ashes on this thing.” She peeled it off of her body, dropping it into the still burning flame. She stood naked in the snow for a bit, shivering, before walking to the first hobo, pulling the knife from his neck. Blood sprayed out, tatooing itself onto Runa's pale body. She wiped the silver blade on the hobo's jacket before peeling it off of him. Soon, the hobo lay naked, and Runa sported his clothes, the scarf wrapped around her mouth and nose, leaving her eyes visible. She kicked the naked carcass before stepping out into the street.
 
A man ran into her, nearly pushing her over. He muttered a rude `hey' before starting to continue, but Runa grabbed his arm. Her firm grip pulled him back, causing him to glare into her eyes.
 
“Who the hell do you think you are?”
 
“Excuse me sir…do..do you know who I am?” Her eyes narrowed, the menace back in her voice. “I need directions to the Sohma Estate please. I'm a bit lost, and I'm visiting a close friend of mine from there.”
 
“Yea..it's that way…now please let go of me.”Runa dropped her arm, her hand instinctively going to her pocket, grasping the handle of the knife. She nodded curtly to the man and pushed passed him, her eyes on the sidewalk.
 
“I'm coming for you,” she whispered to the night, raising her eyes to the night sky.