Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Mystery of the Snow ❯ Chapter Three: The Encounter ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: Chapter Three! W00t! I'm on a roll ^_^. No reviews so far :'( Oh well, me don't care, as long as you folk are reading it ^.^. Oh yea forgot this:
Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Fruits Basket, they are owned by Natsuki Takaya (or somethin like that) So yea. Don't sue me. Please.
Roight. On with the story!
 
Mystery of the Snow
Chapter Three
 
Tohru Honda hummed a tune, pulling the last of Kyou's pants from the dryer. She sighed, rubbing her brow. Outside, the bitter cold winter wind beat against the window, threatening to break it and pour snow on the poor unsuspecting girl. Looking around the laundry room, she pushed herself on top of the dryer, pressing her face against the window.
 
“I wish it were spring,” she sighed, knocking on the glass as if someone would answer `Who's There?'. “Then I could hang the clothes outside. And it's so much nicer, not gloomy and depressing….Hello?” Someone had walked into the room, and was standing in the doorway, watching. Tohru spun around to find the parental figure of the house watching her, a lazy smile on his face.
 
“Now, what is our little flower doing sitting on the dryer?” Blushing, Tohru slowly slid down from the large machine, smoothing her skirt down.
 
“Errah…gomen nasai Shigure-san. I was looking outside the window, daydreaming I guess.” The dog chuckled, unfolding his arms and walking to Tohru's side, placing a hand on her shoulder. He too let his gaze go to the snow-pelted window.
 
“Ah, wishing for the snow to melt away…But you see, many people find comfort in the snow. Their icy breathe is like a haven for the cold and rutheless… the lost and alone. Keep that in mind Tohru. Someone could be looking for a young spring to enlighten them.” Shigure turned on his heel, smiling warmly at Tohru before heading back into his office. She watched his form, thinking over his words. A young spring…I could be someone's spring, she thought absently.
 
Meanwhile, Shigure mused to himself, smiling, “How did I think of that? I should write it down…”
 
“Ah…arrigato, Shigure-san,” she called to him, taking the basket under her arm. She stepped out into the hall, looking at the empty table. Two plates of uneaten food still remained. She sighed, picking both up with her other arm, balancing them. The dishes slid from her arm onto the counter.
 
“Kyou and Yuki haven't been home very much lately,” she admitted sadly to herself. Before, it was `Oh, Yuki's just running errands!' or `Kyou's just up at the dojo or chatting with Kagura'. But the absensces had grown more often, and longer. Soon, the only time Tohru saw them was whenever she stayed up late at night to wait for them.
 
The phone suddenly rang, causing Tohru to jump. The laundry basket tumbled from her arm, spilling warm clean clothes onto the already spotless kitchen floor. Tohru winced as the phone rang again. A murmur from across the hall reassured her that Shigure had picked it up.
 
“Oh Toh-Ru!” Shigure called in a sing song voice, “Miss. Hanajima is on the phone for you!” Tohru blinked. Eh? Hana? She hastily tossed the clothes back into the basket.
“Ah, coming!” Scrambling up, she walked to the hall phone, answering it.
“This is Tohru?”
“Ah, Tohru-kun, I'm hoping you're doing ok?” Hana's sweet yet mysterious voice came through the receiver. Tohru couldn't help but smile. Already two years in Shigure's house and Hana still gave frequent phone calls. How that girl worried for her. Hana was a true friend.
 
“Yes Hana, I'm fine.”
 
“Good. I strongly advise you to keep your doors and windows locked tonight. And don't sleep alone.” Tohru blinked. The tone of Hana's voice had changed drastically, and now was a more serious, stern, and worried voice.
 
“Hana, what do you mean?” she asked, giving a sideways glance to Shigure, who had peeked from his office. She only shrugged at him as Hana continued to speak to her.
 
“There's a girl loose, and she's coming for the Sohma's. Even on the television as they spoke of her, I could feel disturbing waves coming from her. Not the same as Yuki's or the others, even worse. And last night, I felt the waves come by my home,” Hana paused here, “She's in the town, Tohru. And she might come to Shigure's house. Be careful.” Before Tohru could respond, there was a click and the phone went dead.
 
“Hana…Hana? Shigure the phone isn't working!” Tohru placed the phone back onto the hook, looking up at him with worried eyes. “Shigure, she said something about a girl being loose…and she's coming for the Sohmas! Do you know who she is?” But Shigure had already paled, and for a good ten minutes, did not respond.
 
“Shigur-,”
“Tohru. Don't look behind you.”
 
A hand crept around and curled it's fingers around Tohru's neck, not tight, but still in a menacing way. She let out a gasp and didn't move, her eyes looking about wildly. Another hand came around and pressed itself against Tohru's stomach. When she looked down, she almost cried out. A knife barely skimmed the surface of Tohru's blouse. Tohru was pushed forwards as the hostage keeper brought herself into view.
 
Shigure was frozen with fear, his eyes set on the pair of eyes right behind Tohru's head. The eyes I the shadows curled in such a way, it was apparent the being was smiling.
 
“Hello Shigure. I haven't seen you in a while. I hope you're doing well.” Shigure gulped, standing up straight. He wished, all of a sudden, he didn't wear the neck of his robes so tight, because now, the fear was gripping him and he felt like he couldn't breathe.
 
“Runa…what're you doing here?” He put a hand on the phone, resting on the `Emergency button'. The eyes swiveled to where Shigure's finger rested.
 
“Don't even think about it, dog. I've disconnected the phoneline. No one has to know about our little rendevouz. Do they?” The grip on Tohru's throat tightened. The poor girl gasped for air, her eyes reflecting panic. They started to mist over as she searched Shigure's figure for help. But he didn't move, only standing tall and staring at the captor.
 
“He's not here, Runa.”
“Then where is he?”
“Let go of Tohru.” There was a chuckle, cold, that sent shiver's down Tohru's spine.
“That's this whore's name? Fine.” Removing the knife, which barely sliced a gap in Tohru's shirt, Runa pushed the startled girl forwards. Shigure caught her at a safe arm's length as not to transform. Tohru quickly moved herself behind Shigure, peeking out from behind him. Runa crossed her arms, the blade sliding into her pocket.
 
“Well?” Shigure looked down at the ground, hesitating.
“I can't tell you, Runa-,”
“Dammit Shigure. Do you want to die?”
“…No.”
“Then tell me!” The dog closed his eyes, the weight of the descision on his mind. Die and save him? Or…give away his position and live? Either way, she was going to find him. He opened his coffee eyes slowly, gazing down at the malicious girl.
 
“The Main House.” This earned a smile from Runa's lips. She ran a hand through her hair, still staring up at him. She kicked the line for the phone, jerking it off the table and sending it to the floor. She slid to Shigure, putting a hand on his chest and leaning close to his face. He didn't move, but noted the blood stains upon her clothes. This wasn't the first Sohma House visited.
 
“You see, Gure-chan? It wasn't so bad…Now..if you'll excuse me, I have quite an amount of houses to visit. Oh, and I shall leave you a parting gift. If you let anyone know that I've been here…” She shrugged lightly and twirled a piece of her hair, “I'll have to kill you. Bye Bye now!” With that, she wrapped her arms around his waist, momentarily disappearing beneath the black smoke. She smiled sweetly down at the dog at her feet before spinning around and breaking into a sprint, jumping through the opened window.
 
Tohru fell to the ground, her eyes wide in disbelief. “Sh-Shigure?” The dog let out a growl, shaking himself free of the robes.
 
“Tohru…it's alright. I think it'd be best if you slept in the office with me tonight.”
“Shigure who was that?”The dog looked back at Tohru. The pleading in her eyes made him give in. Sighing in a very dog-like way, he sat down facing Tohru. His tail, usually wagging, drooped to the ground.
 
“You see…five years ago…there was this girl. A Sohma turned her in as mentally unstable, and she was shipped away to the Tokyo Hospital for the Derranged. But it appears she's escaped, and now, she's searching for the one who sealed her away…”
 
A door sliding open caused both patrons to jump, even Tohru to let out a small scream. A baffled Yuki stood in the doorway, staring at the two. His jacket was coated with snow flakes, as was his violet grey hair. He walked to the pair, kicking lightly at Shigure's robes.
 
“What on Earth are you two doing on the floor? And Shigure, why are you a dog?” His first thought was Tohru was being clumsy and ran into him, like she did to the walls, but the look on her face told him otherwise. She jumped up, her eyes brimming with tears.
 
“Yuki! Thank goodness you're home safe!” With that, she threw her arms around him. He yelped out in surprise, falling back with a ~poof~. Tohru cradled the now rat Yuki in her arms, shaking. Yuki blinked at Tohru, stunned.