Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Mystery of the Snow ❯ Chapter Four: A Moment of Weakness ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: *wipes cobwebs off of old story* Wow it's been a while, ne? Welcome me back with open arms ^_^ I've decided to continue on with my thrilling rampage of a story. Enjoy it while it's here ^.^ I'll try to finish ASAP.
 
P.S GUESS THE GUY. A big clue is at the end of the chapter.
 
Mystery Of the Snow
Chapter 4


The knife clattered to the ground as she was quickly pushed into a heated embrace. She didn't quite remember how she'd gotten so, but soon she was pressed up against the wall of a very small home, locked in a deep passionate kiss. Her hands trembled, scrambling and tugging at the robe of her oppressor. Her mind screamed to push him away and stab him merclessly like she'd come to do, but her heart and yearning said otherwise. It was a two out of three vote, and her body's need for lust had taken over her. It'd been a few years since the last time she'd commited such acts anyway.
 
The pair had wrestled through the sliding doors, nearly breaking them off of their hindges in their hurry. They had tangled themselves within their limbs and clothes, in a struggle to remove them as quickly as possible. Soon the man and girl had stumbled onto the bed, their lips sealed together in a heated kiss, but their arms refraining from wrapping around each other's bodies. The girl had managed to push herself on top of him. As she looked down into his eyes, she couldn't see the hatred she had felt, but only the passion she yearned for all her years in the asylum. Pushing whatever remaining clothes off of his groin, she lowered herself onto him, her head falling back as the shock of a man inside her once again struck her. She wasn't the only one to feel this, as the man too gasped out, bucking his hips slightly beneath her.
 
In a matter of seconds, their vigerous love making could be heard all throughout the Sohma Estate. Most tried to ignore the cries, emberessed, turning up their TVs or talking just a little bit louder. Others, mostly the preteen and teen generation, laughed shamelessly and tried to guess who was getting lucky tonight. Only a select few found it odd that it came from a named person's home, seeing that it was one of the most unlikely things ever to happen.
 
With final cries of ecstasy, the two fell apart, breathing heavily and staring into each other's eyes, not seeing lust, or longing. Instead seeing hurt, betrayal, and a romance that once was. The girl just shook her head at him, her eyes welling over with tears. All the hatred in her couldn't bring her to even slap him now as he gazed back at her with dark brown eyes, fawn eyes as she refered to them often. And he was the cause of all of her agony to begin with. Why couldn't she just hit him? Tear spilled from her eyes onto her cheeks like waterfalls of sorrow. She threw the bundled up bed sheets off of her legs and stood from the bed, shaking. A startled sob came from her lips as she searched for her clothes. Never had she felt so ashamed, so revealed.
 
~*~
The lights of the street had finally turned off, marking the point of midnight. This cloak of shadow didn't bother Runa as she walked calmly along the sidewalk. She'd gotten a bit cold, the hobo's clothes too thin to truly sustain one in a cold winter night. So she'd broken into a clothing outlet, simply killed the cashier, and replaced her bloody clothes with some nice fitting jeans, a tank top and large sweater. The cold never bothered her until she got to this place. The glass next to her had several TV's on, blaring the same channel and the same news report.
 
-“…girl from the asylum still on the lose. Parents be careful as to where you let your children go, tell them to go in groups of at least 4 or 5, and lock your doors at night.” Runa just laughed at the town's feeble attempts to try and hide what they already knew. Locked doors and windows were just another puzzle for her to solve, and 4 or 5 children would just mean more to kill. But she wasn't a murderer, she didn't just kill random people, only those that got in the way. She was only out to kill one person tonight, and he was only a few blocks away, probably cooking ramen and fretting about his home. What a wimp. She remembered scolding him many a time before, threatening to beat his house down if he didn't grow a backbone and fight back. He never did though. He would always just go down on his knees, hands clasped together tightly, begging forgiveness for a crime he never commited.
 
The scarf that she had also picked up was wrapped around her neck and face, warming herself. She stood next to the clothing store's heater, hands rubbing feverishly together. She could see the tip of her nose, pink tinted. Her cheeks were red and flushed, and her fingernails were blue. She had to get to the Sohma Estate as soon as possibly. The knife tucked securely at her side, she slipped down the alley way, a hand trailing on the bricks of the buildings she hid behind.
 
~*~
 
By the time that Kyou had gotten home, the jacket having overheated him, tossed lazily over his shoulder, the whole house was moderately sedated. Brushing red hair from his eyes, he slid the door open to find the front hallway completely empty and stagnant, almost lifeless. The murmuring of voices from Shigure's office drew him to the only lit room in the home. Respectfully, he kicked off his shoes, trying to grasp parts of the conversation before he actually barged in on it. His eyes narrowed curiously at the words that he caught…things like threatened, insane, murderer and she. Though it was Yuki's annoying voice that was being heard, the sniffling of Tohru was what propelled him to the scene rather than just upstairs into his room. The door slid open, revealing Shigure sitting at his computer, surfing for some sort of website frantically, and Yuki on the cellular phone that Tohru had gotten him for Valentine's Day. He looked down at his own, dangling at his side with a neko-charm angrily glaring up at the world.
 
-“What the hell happened here?” He asked almost rudely, though the sight of Tohru's curled up frame before Shigure's desk struck a nerve in his body. He tossed his coat onto the floor, sliding the door closed behind him, catching the last part of Yuki's conversation.
 
“Yes, thank you. We will, we promise. We'll be waiting here.” He flipped the phone shut and eyed Kyou darkly before speaking to the room. “Hatori will be here momentarily to take us to the Main House. He doesn't want us here alone tonight. We are going to stay at his place tonight.” He scoffed suddenly, his eyes catching the dumbfounded look on Kyou's face. “What? Idiot can't comprehend a situation?”
 
Kyou's face displayed surprise first and foremost, followed closely by anger, “What? Don't be stupid I know something is going on! I was just waiting for someone to tell me about it!” The sudden touch of Tohru's small hand on his rough arm made him jump, and the anger fell from his face like a mask whose elastic had popped.
 
“Kyou…someone has visited the house…they cut the phone line so that we had to use Yuki's phone…I'm sorry, but we have to stay at the Main House tonight, it's not safe here…” A second hand came and held his bicep in her hands, looking up at him. “Someone…broke into the house. Threatened us. Shigure won't tell us who, but someone at the Main House is in trouble and we all need to be there.” The pit patting of Shigure's keyboard made everyone turn their head. The dog leaned heavily on the desk, his forehead in his hands, pushing the dark hair from his eyes as if he couldn't read the text on his monitor properly. The three teenagers moved from their positions, falling behind Shigure and reading over his shoulder. Though the room was silent Yuki was the only one able to speak, reading the newscast out loud.
 
“Escaped psychopath Runa Sohma has taken her toll on the Tokyo region ever since her disappearance and bloody escape from her cot two nights ago. She has left a bloody trail where she had gone, revealing up to at least 8 found dead bodies and six broken in homes. To any survivors that have been approached by the news, all they can say was that she was asking for a home, but too spooked it seemed to tell the place she was searching for-,”
 
“What? That's ridiculous why don't they just tell the reporters and catch her?” Kyou butted in, much to Yuki's chagrin.
 
“Because you dolt, she threatened them with their life. If she'd escaped, than when they catch her she can escape again. You forget that Runa never looses a face from her memory. Which is why she's out to find him…”
 
“Who?” Both Kyou and Tohru found themselves asking the question, but it remained unanswered, hanging in the air. The doorbell rang, causing the foursome to jump. Shigure stood up, using Kyou and Yuki as a balance, making his way to the doorway. He came back not too long after, Hatori behind him. “Come on, everyone, let's go,” he said sternly. It feared Tohru to see Shigure this solemn, this serious. But it was a relief to know that when the moment came, he could shape up in an instant. Taking both Yuki and Kyou's hands, Tohru stepped through the door, following Hatori and Shigure, who had grabbed the bags for the night's stay.
 
~*~
 
The gate was easy to scale. It always had been. Even if she couldn't climb over it, she knew almost every hole in the wall that she could sneak in through. It was no use trying to hide the homes within the gates, where most of the zodiac rested. The knife was held at her side, poised upwards, the moonlight reflecting on the glistening blade. She had moved the scarf down to allow herself easier breathing, the black hair falling into her eyes. She scanned the homes. They all looked the same. Small, square, brown tiled roofing, sliding brown paper doors, some had cars parked, others didn't. They were almost identical, the homes. Suburban bastards. It was like a miniature city within the walls, a Lego city. Someone copy pasted each home onto a new plot of land.
 
It wasn't hard to find the home. Though it looked exactly the same as the one it stood proudly in between, it had that aura that she knew. She was drawn to it. She had visited it so many times, it was magnetically drawing her towards it, each step was a step she had taken before. But not like this, not hiding in the shadows, the thought of spilled blood driving each of her feet forward, revenge, justice. She didn't climb through the front door, heavens no. A window by what appeared to be the kitchen seemed appropriate. It was easy, it slid open, no locks. Not only was he spineless, but he wasn't too smart either. What had she seen in him? She vaulted herself through the window, plunging herself into the darkness, a hand out to steady her land. There were no lights on, only the moon light illuminating the part of the kitchen she had appeared in. She slowly straightened herself up and crept along in the shadows, slinking around the corner to the main hallway.
 
She found his shoes placed neatly outside his room. The quiet breathing from within was a dead giveaway to where he was now. Poor sap. Should watch where he breathes. The door slid open quietly, the rustle of paper not loud enough to disturb a fly. It didn't take long for Runa to become adjusted to the darkness, having been traveling in it all night she could see every shape perfectly. The bed that lay against the window, sill collecting snowflakes. The chair in the corner that had his robe tossed over the back, the desk with numerous papers and family photos on it. Visits to the spa. New Years. It was a moment of weakness then. The mission was temporarily abandoned. The knife, she placed on the dresser. Her hair, tucked behind her ear as she reached for an image in a brown frame. The photo was 4x6 inches, standard size. It was him, standing, smiling, with the girl she'd just seen. Tohru. The two were holding up peace signs, standing in front of the Hot Spring's beautiful terrain. A pang of jealousy hit her. It wasn't supposed to be that Tohru bitch at his side. It was supposed to be her. Runa Sohma.
 
At that point she found herself caught offguard. A pale hand came and touched the image, taking it from her hand and placing it in it's rightful place back on the shelf. At that point Runa spun around, heart racing, a hand grabbing for the blade she'd left on the desk. But the eyes of her oppressor melted her. They swam not anger that she was there, not fear, but sorrow. Melancholy and sad, hurt. And she found her own eyes reflected it. The pair stood in silence, the knife poised between them.
 
“You're supposed to be sleeping,” she managed to choke out, the first to speak in the small moment of time that was complete silence. He didn't say anything at first. God, he looked like a puppy that was just hit by a newspaper. His hair was pulled back, revealing his face. How could no fear be gripping him? She didn't understand. His response, though, was a typical thing of him.
 
“I…I'm sorry I interuppted you.”