Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Push and Pull ❯ Ultimatum ( Chapter 8 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
PUSH AND PULL
A Fruits Basket Fanfic

Written by Miyu, Vampire Princess


AUTHOR'S NOTE:
This idea was derived from a drabble I wrote and a challenge from Koishii to write something I normally wouldn't write. Shigure versus Akito. This should be most interesting. *nods* Told from Shigure's POV. Standard Disclaimer follows the story.


Part Eight - Ultimatum



I never knew a body could feel so raw in the morning. Perhaps it's because I'm not used to the 'strenuous exercise'. But I can't help it. I'm addicted. I have to have it...have more of it.

More of her.

That makes two nights in a row, although I must say that last night was better. Not because we simply had more sex (which is good), but because my little Tohru can be a hentai (which is even better). I know it's mostly her innocent curiosity that leads her to ask questions and explore thoroughly, but it's such a goddamn turn on! Innocence like that shouldn't be so hot!

Good thing she's sleeping right now. Otherwise, we'd be at it again and I'm not sure if my old body can handle it. Then again, she looks so beautiful lying beside me, her head titled just so on the pillow that I can see her face directly. She breathes easily in the throws of sleep, her luscious body laid out before me.

Did I mention she's naked under the covers too?

GAH! I think a nice, COLD bath is in order.

*rumble*

And perhaps some breakfast.

Answering to the call of nature, I make my way into the bathroom and begin running water for a bath. I am tempted to go back over to Tohru's room, pick her up out of bed and carry her back over here. But the reality of that situation is not a good one, especially if she wakes up startled.

Sighing I sink into the tub as it finishes filling. My mind is awash in thought. Mostly about what I'm going to do today. It's Sunday. Time for my usual weekly visit to Akito. It shouldn't be any different from before, but then, it hasn't been the same the last two weeks.

He hasn't mentioned the incident with Tohru. His smile is all the reminder I need, though. He coos in my ear and tries to cuddle up to me. I allow him, but only because I know he won't hurt me in that way. I am larger and physically more powerful if I decide to exert myself. But I've quickly learned to just put my mind in another place whenever he's near my body. I'm coherent enough to smile and nod to his comments and give one word answers to his questions.

He's certain Tohru is leaving my place. That's the charade I've played for the past two weeks. When he learns differently he'll be very upset. Perhaps upset enough to attack me the same way he attacked Hatori years ago. But I can handle that. I can handle him.

I have a plan.

Stepping from the tub, I dry myself off. My stomach rumbles again and I sigh. I may have to resort to making breakfast. This may or may not be good.

But as I leave the bathroom, the sweet smell of cinnamon wafts up the staircase and down the hall. I take a deep breath savoring the smell, and take a quick peak into Tohru's room. Just as expected the bed is empty, the sheets have been stripped and changed, and Tohru is nowhere to be seen.

The closer I get to the kitchen, the stronger the cinnamon smell. My mouth is watering as I imagine what it could be that Tohru is making. Probably something she learned at the restaurant. She's learned a lot of delicious recipes from her new job.

And I can't wait to try every single one of them.

I peak through the doorway to see Tohru at the stove. Her voice echoes in the kitchen as she hums a tune. Her attention is completely devoted to her work. Good.

Carefully I step into the kitchen and walk up till I'm standing behind her. Leaning forward I place my chin on her shoulder and peer into the pan she cooking with. Her body does a little jump as it realizes I'm there, but I can still see the smile on her face.

"What's for breakfast this morning?"

"Cinnamon raisin pancakes," she answers happily. "It's something new we're trying at the restaurant."

I place a light kiss on her cheek before I step away, my hands resting gently on her hips. "They smell delicious. Ano...you didn't call off again today, did you, Tohru?"

She shakes her head. "Iie. But the manager called. He just wants me to come in a little early. I said it would be all right." She turns to look at me with wide eyes. "Is it all right, Shigure?"

"Of course," I reply with a smile. "I'll let you finish up. If you need me, I'll be in my study."

She nods. "All right."

A knock on my study door wakes me from my wide-eyed slumber in front of my computer. Tohru comes into my study with a tray of food. As she sits it on my desk I realize that it's only enough for one serving. She must really need to go into work early. I'm only a little disappointed, offering her the best smile I can muster on the spot.

"If it tastes as wonderful as it smells, I think this will be a hit at the restaurant," I comment, taking in the delicious aroma again. "Are you leaving for work now?"

"Hai," she answers with a sad smile. But it brightens quickly. "I'll be home just after nine, and I'll be able to bring home any leftovers. Would you like anything particular?"

I shake my head. "I'll leave it up to your good judgement."

She leans forward and places a light kiss to my lips. One of my hands grabs the back of her head, holding her there gently as I lengthen the kiss. When we part, I smile at her. "Have a good day, Tohru."

"You, too, Shigure," she replies, somewhat breathless from the kiss. With another bright smile she leaves my study, closing the door behind her. I watch her go, trying to hide my concern behind my smile.

Did I mention that I like the sound of my name without the honorific as it pours from her lips? Gods what a feeling of...rejuvenation...satisfaction...and desire.

But all that can wait. Now, it's time to get serious.

I arrive at the Honke just before two. My belly is full thanks to Tohru's wonderful breakfast and my mind is set on its objective. I've given this a lot of thought over the past week. Maybe too much. But my plan will not fail. It can't fail.

I will have vengeance.

Ha-san waits for me at the entrance of the main house, then escorts me back to see Akito. Our mood is rather tense, our talk light. He has no idea about my plan. I suppose I should've included him -- he is my best friend after all -- but I couldn't risk his involvement. It might get him hurt more than he already is and that just wouldn't be right. We'll talk more after my meeting. We always do. I'll have to bum a cigarette off of him, too, considering I need to buy some more. That's become my responsibility since Tohru started working and I haven't been doing very well. Perhaps I should quit.

Yeah, right.

Akito is all smiles as I enter the room. And not the usual smiles either. Oh no. These smiles are pure evil, knowing. It's been this way since he raped Tohru right in front of me. I'm still cursing my own inhibitions about that situation, but things are improving now and it's time to confront him.

He thinks I'm going to be all apologetic and groveling. I haven't been yet, but I know that's what he wants. It's in his eyes as he greets me, grasping my hands in his and pulling me close to kiss me on the cheek before his arms circle around me. I embrace him back lightly. I'd much rather push him away, but that would give away too much. He expects me to be stubborn, not aggressive.

"Are you doing well since I saw you last?" I ask him as we part and he leads me to the cushions in front of the window. He sits to one side and I kneel on the other.

"I have been too tired of late," he replies with a sigh. "Hatori thinks I may be coming down with a cold. It's not the right season, but I am always ill. I'm beginning to hate it."

"Then perhaps our meeting can wait another day," I reply. My stomach turns at the thought. I can't put this off anther day! But I also know that Akito will not go for it either.

"No. Absolutely not. You've come all this way and I know you are busy helping Tohru to pack." His smile, once faded, now returns. "How is that going, by the way?"

"Not as well as you'd expect," I say honestly, my own smile in place now.

He looks at me with wide eyes. "Why? What has happened?!" His voice is no more angry than surprised. "If it's a matter of finding her a place to stay, I can easily--"

I raise my hand and shake my head. "No, it's nothing so trivial."

He scowls at me, clearly confused. "What then? Has she been begging to stay, is that it? I didn't think the little sow would stoop so low."

I let his hurtful comment to Tohru fuel my ongoing desire for revenge. My smile hardens. "No, she has done no such thing."

He sighs, his scowl growing. "Then what? Tell me, Shigure!"

"I have decided that she is staying."

He stares at me blankly for a moment, then his eyes widen as my words sink in. I'm sure if it's satisfaction or trepidation I feel as realization strikes him, but I can't keep myself from smirking a little. This, of course, only fuels his anger. I can see the rage building in his face, his body tense. His face turns red with his anger.

"She will do no such thing!"

"Yes, she will. I have decided."

The palm of his left hand slams into the floor as he states, "It isn't your decision to make!"

"It is my house. I make the decision there, not you, Akito."

His eyes widen and there's a fire like no other I've ever seen burning there. I'm almost frightened for a moment as he reaches over and grabs the front of my yukata. Using it, and me, as leverage, he pulls us closer together.

"You will be forced to move to the Honke," he says, his face lingering close to mine. "I'll make you move back here. You'll never be able to leave again."

"Or I can leave the family. Disavow my own name," I answer evenly, our eyes glaring at each other, locked in a battle of wills.

His eyes widen, surprised. "You...wouldn't!"

"I believe I would."

"For that...that--!"

"I wouldn't say it if I were you," I growl at him. I can no longer take any of his insults to Tohru. If he wants to direct his anger at me, fine, but he will NOT hurt her in any way ever again.

Hurt moves across his eyes. A dark shadow seems to loom over us both. I can tell he's thinking of something to say in retaliation, something to do. But he cannot think quick enough. His last ditch effort is to pull me those few inches left between us and place his lips on mine. My body stiffen immediately and I refuse to respond, sickened by his response.

Apparently he's as sickened by my response as I am his. As he pulls away I see nothing but hate in his eyes. His body shakes with his rage. "You love her, don't you?" He shakes me a little, still holding the front of my yukata. "DON'T YOU?!"

I nod, knowing words can not help or hurt me now.

"TRAITOR!" he howls, pushing himself away from me. "How can you...why would you...her over me?! Why, Shigure?" He turns pleading eyes to me. "Tell me why."

"You made a mistake," I answer simply.

He tried to smile, but falls short. "You can forgive me, though. Right?"

I keep my gaze level, my expression even. "You took something that never belonged to you, Akito. It belonged to me, whether you liked it or not."

He practically turned his head and spit on the floor. "She's not worth--"

"She's worth more than you'll ever know," I cut him off. He look at me again with wide eyes. "Curse or no curse, why can't you see what Tohru has done for this family? She's brought us together. We ARE a family now. We know we are not alone. We're not suffering any more."

"You've all been made to suffer," he replies angrily. Releasing my yukata he sits back on his pallet and glares at me. "Just as I've been made to suffer. Why should your lives be any different? We all have to suffer!"

"I have seen so much suffering by your hand. I will not stand by and watch anymore. I will not be a part of it." I stand with little effort, my gaze condescending as it looks down upon him. "If this is your answer, than I suppose this is goodbye."

"No," he mutters pitifully. He recoils as if he's been stricken. Perhaps a physical blow would've driven home the point sooner, but I'm not that physical of a guy. No. I know my words have hit harder than any other blow I could've delivered. "Onegai, Shigure. You can't leave. You can't leave me. I... I need you. Onegai."

"You don't need me," I reply. "You need my information. But it's pointless. Yuki and Kyo no longer reside with me. And Tohru is now beyond your reach, of this I have made certain. You need nothing from me now."

He reaches out as I try to move away and grasps one of my ankles with his hand. His grip isn't as strong as it had been on my clothing, but it stops me in mid-step. I look down at him -- a pitiful excuse for a man, really -- and see the pleading in his eyes once again. He's on the verge to tears. Did he really think tears would change my mind?

"Ongeai, Shigure. I love you."

"I know you do," I answer, my voice much crueler and harsher than it had been when he'd first confessed just weeks ago. "But I do not return that affection as its placed on me. I love someone else. You will have to learn to live with it, or let it consume you. Either way, I'm not changing my mind."

He releases my ankle. And I turn fully to look at him. He pulls away, retracting to sit on his pallet. In his silence he turns to look out the window. "You are a stubborn son of bitch."

"Arigato."

He sighs, his shoulder slumping. "Very well. Do what you wish. I will not set foot in your home ever again."

It's my turned to be surprised. He's compromising with me? This is unexpected. I had thought to walk away from the Sohma household forever. I was prepared for that eventuality. In my own anger, I had not considered a compromise.

"You're not banishing me?" I try to leave the shock out of my voice, but it's difficult.

"I will expect both of you to visit me at least once a week," he tells me, not once looking away from the window. "No harm will befall either of you. I only have one...request."

I blink. "A request?"

He nods. "Tohru will bear the next head of this household."

My heart stops for a moment. "But that would mean...."

"Hai," he says with a sigh. "But this is my only request. Will you see it through? Or will you walk away forever?"

I pause to consider his request. For Tohru to bear the next Sohma child to be head of the house, Akito would have to be dead. And the timing would have to be just right. But if I knew Akito, he would see to it that it happened no matter what. Whether I agreed or not. With a sigh of my own, I nod.

"This is acceptable." I bow despite myself. "WE will visit you next week. With a gift."

Akito said nothing more as I walked away. I could still see him sitting in the frame of the window as I walked to Ha-san's house. He looked much older than me sitting in that window. Perhaps, this was for the best.

Only will tell I suppose.

Ha-san is waiting for me on the porch, a pack of cigarettes in hand. He offers one to me as I sit on the step beside him. "So, how did it go?"

"Not bad," I say, lighting the cigarette. Gods but I needed to buy a pack. "Tohru and I will be by to visit him next week."

Ha-san looks slightly surprised. "Both of you? He's not--"

I shake my head, blowing out a long poof of smoke from between pursed lips. "No. We've reached an agreement."

He raises an eyebrow in question. "Do tell."

"In good time," I reply, taking another long drag of the cigarette in my hand. With a smile I ask, "Would you mind driving me into town today, Ha-san? I'd like to pick up something."

"Cigarettes," he asks with a smirk.

"Hai.," I answer with a nod. "And perhaps...something else."

He nods. "I'll go get my keys."

"Arigato."

"Shigure?"

"Nani?"

"It better be a huge diamond," he replies, disappearing into his office. "She deserves it."

"I know," I reply, smiling like a fool. I'm not surprised that Ha-san knew what I had intended. He is my best friend. Sometimes I wonder if he really can read minds.

All this pushing and pulling has finally been resolved. I'm not sure if it's the solution I really wanted, but I can't argue with it. All I can do now is look toward the future.

Hmm...I wonder. Can Ha-san see the future too?


~OWARI~

DISCLAIMER:
Fruits Basket is owned by Natsuki Takaya/HAKUSENSHA - TV TOKYO - NAS - Fruba Project and licensed by FUNimation Productions, Ltd (for distribution in the USA). They own furuba. THEM! Not me! *sigh* All characters are used here without permission. Please do not sue. I have no money, although I would be happy to give away my bills. ^_^