Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Serenade ❯ Serenade ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
"Serenade"
a Fruits Basket Fanfic by Astral

Note: I do not own the characters of fruits basket even if I want too... very badly. *lust* But, I do own Sai, so keep shut and read. Copyright law protected.

It was evening. Kyo decided to go out to rest. The others didn't mind.
"I'm going out for a while." He said.
"Where to?" Asked Yuki.
"It's none of your business. I need some fresh air, that's all." He closed the door shut. He went for a walk, and entered the forest. It's quite unusual this time of the night, coz it's dark, and the light of the moon barely illuminates the whole forest. Then he heard the sound of splashing water. He walks there, and saw a somewhat, fantasy view.
"Woah..." He thought as he saw a girl taking her bath on a river, jsut beside a small waterfall. He can barely see her body, but he's sure that he saw that he has long white hair, and her pale brown skin, kinda makes his pants feel shrinking. Although the night was cold, heat from the mist and from the feeling that clouds his thoughts shielded him from any coldness.
Then the girl saw him. She did not scream, coz she knows it would just cause more trouble. She takes her dress, and tooks a run for it. Kyo didn't follow, but he went to where she took her bath. There he saw something shiny. He picks it up, and examines it. It was a pendant, with a cat's symbol etched on the design. He puts it in his pocket, and runs for home.

"Where have you been?" Shigure asked.
"I told you. I went out to get some fresh air."
"Well, Tohru's asleep. And Yuki's upstairs in his room. I'm going to bed too, so you're on your own."
"Well, goodnight." Shigure goes to his room. Kyo sits down on the living room, thinking of the girl that he saw. "Damn. I don't want to think about it. I'll go to sleep now." He walks to his bed, and sleeps.

The next day, the 3 of them goes to school. Once their, class begun. The teacher enters, and introduces a new student.
"Class, we have a new student today. Say welcome to Sai Hikawa." She announced, and tells the girl to enter.
"Holy Shit." Kyo thought, as he stands up.
"Kyo? What's the matter?" The teacher asked.
"Nothing..." He looks away, then looks at the girl. It was surprising. She has long silverish hair, and a pale brown skin. It was exactly the girl he saw at that night.
"Hello. My name is Sai Hikawa." She bows.
"Now Sai, I want you to take your seat beside Kyo." She follows her teacher's orders, and sits beside Kyo.
"It really is her..." He thought.

The classes end. Tohru and Yuki asked Kyo if he's going home, but he says that he would go home later. Kyo grabbed Sai's hand, making her sit down.
"Sai... um..." He looks away, and scratches his head.
"What is it? Please tell me..." He said softly.
"Um... you lost this." He hands over her pendant. She grabs the pendant, "Where did you get this?" She asks angrily.
"I... um... was walking... and ... um... Saw that..."
"I know now..." She said, "You're the one who's watching me taking a bath!"
"..." He went silent. He did not know what to do next.
"I know you. You're the member of the Sohma Family. You're the cat."
"Huh?" He was surprised. He wasn't sure what to do, coz she knows the truth. In an instant, she hugged him. But, instead of transforming into a cat, he didn't.
"You're probably wondering why you didn't transform."
"Yeah..." He replied blushing.
"Coz we're both members of the zodiac. It is said in the curse that nothing will happen to two same sides of the zodiac of the opposite gender during physical contact. It is also said that they will not transform when they touch. Also, the curse is lifted if the two are united."
"Are you sure?" She releases him. "Of course I'm sure. I am the last of my family, and this message has been passed on for generations."
"So we need to go home now.. It's getting late." He picks up his bag, and walks to the door. "Come. I'll take you home."
"Don't worry about me."
"Come now."
"No."
"Why?"
"Coz my family's killed and my house was burned down. I am the last of my family, and I now hide myself inside a hut I built near the river, until I break my curse."
He wasn't expecting this. He knows her story was similar to Tohru, but on a different scale. Her family was killed and her house was burned down. It was like tragedy and nightmare.
"I'll take you home. To my home." He grabs her hands, not caring whatever reaction she might do. They reach home, and everyone welcomed Kyo.

"Kyo brought a girl home... How surprising..." Shigure giggles, and Tohru comes in to greet the two.
"Welcome Home Kyo, and Sai."
Yuki walks to see who's there at the door. He saw Kyo and Sai.
"Oh, Sai. Welcome to our home." Yuki greeted. She bows, for a polite greeting. The two walks to the dining room. Tohru had prepared dinner, and Sai was told to sit down. She was still shy about the invitation.
"Don't worry Sai. Make yourself at home." Shigure said.
All of them ate happily. After that, they all went to the living room, for a serious talk.
"Shigure, There's something important to talk about." Kyo went to a serious tone.
"It's so surprising that Kyo wants to talk seriously..." Yuki said. Kyo clenched his fist, trying to lengthen his patience.
"It's about the zodiac." Sai started the talk.
"How did you know about that?" Shigure asks, "Kyo, did you tell her something?"
"No! She's the one who told me everything. That's why I took her home." He said.
"It's about the curse on Kyo. Yuki-san, can you come sit beside me for a while?" Without question, he immediately sat down beside her. She hugged her, and the two transformed into their animal form. Yuki transformed into his regular white rat state, and Sai into her silky white cat form.
"She's a member of the zodiac?" Shigure and Tohru said in chorus.
"Yeah, but she's not a member of the Sohma's. Another family was cursed of the same fate as us, but they were all killed. She's the only one remaining."
"Poor girl..."
The two reverted back to their original form. "Watch this." Kyo grabbed Sai, and hugged her, but the two did not turn into animals. "See?"
"Yup. I see very clearly." Shigure said, "she's naked, and you're hugging her."
"THAT'S NOT THE POINT!" Raising his temper. "The point is that we did not turn into animals."
Tohru went upstairs, and slept. Yuki soon followed.
"She has no place to stay now. If we were to leave her out there, she might be killed. She's the only one who can release me of my curse."
"I know. A friend of mine said that to me. It was from her family. I just found out recently that her family was killed and burned down. She can stay here."
"Kyo..."
"It's ok. I won't let anything touch you from now on."
Kyo went to his room. She just stayed there on the living room, sitting.
"Good night Sai."
"Good night and Thank you Kyo.."

[TBC]