Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Serenade ❯ Tale of Two Hearts ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]
"Serenade"
a Fruits Basket Fanfic by Astral

Note: I do not own the characters of fruits basket even if I want too... very badly. *lust* But, I do own Sai, so keep shut and read. Copyright law protected.

Chapter 2

The next day, Kyo woke up early, and ran silently downstairs. He went to the living room, and so no one there. "Where is she? Where could she go?" Kyo goes around the house, and saw Sai in the kitchen with Tohru. They were fixing breakfast.
Sai saw kyo entered, "Oh, Good Morning Kyo." Tohru greeted soon after.
The other two, Yuki and Shigure woke up a little bit late. After eating, they went to school, the four of them. They entered class, and the students saw the four of them. They circled the group, and told something about a class play.
"Tohru's role is Cinderella, and Yuki's the prince." A classmate informed them. "The others are going to be the 2 step sisters, and the step mother, while the others would be the dancers.

Later that day, they were practicing for the play. Sai and Kyo got the pair, maybe because they have no choice. They don't want to transform into animals in front of the class, or worse, transform back naked infront of the whole school. The thought makes them shiver. They moved closer to each other.
"Look, the two of them are hugging. I though kyo doesn't want girls going near him... Quite strange." A classmate said behind Yuki and Tohru.
"Don't bother them. They're chilhood friends, so it's natural. And besides, she's the only one Kyo trusts at this." Yuki lied, trying to hide the dark truth.

At last the practice ends, and on they went home.

A wekk passed since Sai was in the Sohma's. She keeps seeing Kyo go and enjoy himself with Tohru. This bothered her, but of course, she did not show anything to him. One night, she went outside, and Kyo followed. "The two needs some time alone. Come, let's leave them alone." Shigure said while dragging Yuki and Tohru upstairs.
The two sat on the rooftop, watching the moon.
"Kyo, please answer me honestly." Sai asked him seriously, "Do you love Tohru?"
He sat silent. Sai continued, "I know. I can tell."
He blushed. He doesn't know what to do, or what to say to her. She has feelings for Tohru, but he is shy, despite of being aggresive all the time.
"You don't have to force yourself." She holds Kyo's hand, "Follow what your heart tells you to. I'm telling you, you don't have to force yourself into this." She stood up, "Kyo, remember what I told you, ok?" She jumps, and heads to the forest. "Please do not follow."
Once gone, he thinks about what Sai told him. Now, He's in a very tight position. What would he choose, his freedom or his life? Although HE loves Tohru, He knows She loves Yuki. He knows too that Sai loves him, but he doesn't have any feelings for her, if any, just a small portion.
"God... This is hard...." He thoughts of it for a while.

Later that night, Kyo's worried about where Sai is, so he went to the forest to look for her. He smelled something burning. Worried, he ran to where he first found Sai, and found her there, lying. Without thinking, he lifts her, and carries her, running back to the Sohma house. Once there, he puts her on his bed, letting her rest.
The next day, Sai opened her eyes, and found herself inside Kyo's room. He smelled his fragrance, and found him sleeping just beside her. She puts her hand on his head, and kissed it. "Kyo... You don't have to do this... But, thank you for saving me." She left him there. She goes downstairs, past Shigure. "Oh, It's you Sai. Where are you going?" Shigure asked.
"Just outside. If Kyo wakes up and start looking for me, tell him that I have something to do. Also, please tell him to decide." She goes outside.
A minute had passed, and Kyo goes down to Shigure. "Where's Sai?"
"I don't know." He said, "And she said that she has something to do, and she wants you to decide about something..."
He goes outside, looking for her.

He found her at the same place she was before, there at the river. He walks slowly, and sits beside her.
"Sai..." He said, "I thought of what you told me yesterday."
"I don't want to know." She said, looking away.
"I choose you, over Tohru."
"Wha?" She was shocked. "Why?"
"Because I can't keep Tohru close to me. She loves Yuki, and Yuki loves her."
"And you love her."
"Yes. But now, I can forget all about it."
"You know, I was also pushed by my family, like you. But mine was a bit tougher."
"Really? Tell me." He sat closer, as if he wants to listen to her every word.
"My family knoew that I am cursed with the Cat, so they locked me in a container. My family ate good food, but I just ate biscuits. They all treated me bad, but I didn't mind. At least I was thankful I have a home."
"That was... harsh."
"Yup. And one day,a friend told me about our family's meeting. I learned about the curse and how it will be free. Although I was locked in my own room, I had a friend, a family member, who's about the same age as Shigure-san. I beleive they were friends."
"And so, why did you family die?"
"One night, all was sleeping. I can't sleep. I heard a cry, then one by one all of my family members cry desperately for help. My friend let me escape, and I ended up here. When I came back, I found my home burned down, and my family, killed." She started crying. Kyo gave her some comfort. "We... we shared the same fate, but at a different scale."
"Kyo... I'm afraid..." She cried, accidentally putting her hands on his chest, and her head followed. Tears then poured from her eyes.
"Don't be. I'm here." He puts his hands on her head, trying to calm her down, "Come, let's go back. They're probably worried." The two stands up, and returns to the house, holding hands.

[TBC]