Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Ten Days Late ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“She said
`I'm in trouble now
And it cannot wait'
She's ten days late…”
-Ten Days Late by Third Eye Blind
 
 
 
 
“Haru…can I talk to you?”
 
Haru turned around to see Tohru standing behind him, staring up at him with an almost urgent look on her face, or as urgent of a look that Tohru could muster. They were in a hallway in school before class would start, and Haru had been talking to Yuki when she interrupted them.
 
“Sure,” Haru said, turning around to face her.
 
Tohru blushed a little. “Is it- is it okay if we talk alone?”
 
Haru glanced back at Yuki; he had a slightly surprised look on his face. Not that Haru blamed him. It wasn't often that Tohru asked to speak with any of them in private, much less Haru. Looking back at her, he shrugged. “All right.”
 
They walked together down the halls, past groups of people. Tohru was very quiet, and very unlike herself. He studied her face. She had her eyes on the ground as they walked (a very dangerous thing for her to do, as she was prone to bumping into things) and was chewing on her bottom lip, a habit she had when she was either nervous or had something big on her mind.
 
They reached a corner that was rather empty, and Tohru stopped, turning to face him. She bit her lip for several more seconds.
 
“Something on your mind?” Haru asked gently as he began to grow impatient. He may be laid back, but he didn't like his time being wasted by others.
 
“Haru,” Tohru said softly, “I'm…. I'm late.”
 
“Huh?” He checked his watch. “No, we've still got a few minutes before-”
 
“Oh, no, I mean-” Her face was growing red, and she glanced around to see if anyone was near. “My-my period is late.” Her face grew redder, as though talking about periods was the most mortifying thing.
 
Haru, on the other hand, merely blinked, unsure if he had even heard her correctly. He hoped he hadn't, he desperately hoped she meant something else.
 
But, what else could it mean, besides….
 
“Are you sure that, y'know, you aren't just…running late?”
 
Tohru shook her head. “It's been too long since my last one.”
 
Haru sighed, rubbing his temple, unable to believe it. This could not be happening, it just couldn't….
 
“Are you absolutely sure? Did you take a test?”
 
Once again, Tohru shook her head. “I'm-I'm too embarrassed to buy one….”
 
“So there's a possibility that you aren't?”
 
“I…I guess. But, Haru…what if I am?” She looked up at him, her eyes big. She was scared. Hell, he didn't blame her. He was pretty damn scared himself.
 
“Okay….” Haru thought for a moment. “After school, we'll buy a test, and then I'll come with you to Shigure's, all right? Don't freak out until we're sure you're pregnant, okay?”
 
She nodded, though he could still see the fear in her eyes.
 
A bell rang; the two-minute warning bell.
 
“I'll meet you outside your classroom after school. Wait for me.”
 
“I will,” Tohru promised.
 
XxXxXxX
 
Yuki and Kyo were surprised when they found out that Haru was coming home with them, but generally accepted it, Kyo with a little snapping at the cow. Haru fought to keep his Black side down; now was not the time to turn Black, not when there was the secret that he may have gotten Tohru pregnant. It had been hard enough to keep the Black side down before, when all he knew was that he had been Tohru's first.
 
It had happened a little over a month ago, at Tohru's seventeenth birthday party. The zodiac members all came, as well as Tohru's strange friends. It was fun, though there was a definite division between the ages. Though Shigure and Aaya would flirt through the rooms that the teens occupied, generally they both stayed outside with Hatori, talking and smoking their cigarettes.
 
Everyone else - Kyo, Yuki, Momiji, Haru, Kisa, Hiro, Uo, Hana and of course, Tohru- stayed in the living room, playing Dai Hin Min and laughing at each other. Haru didn't understand why Hiro and Kisa were there, but he supposed it had to do with how much Tohru adored Kisa, and wherever Kisa went, Hiro was sure to follow. Kyo and Uo argued throughout the game, Hiro complained, but Tohru seemed very happy.
 
Then, Uo became the Rich Man for her third time in a row, which allowed her to make a rule. She took this brief time of power to bring drinking into the game. Her rule was that at any point of the game, she'd discretely place her thumb down on the table. When she did this, everyone had to put their thumb down as well. The last person to put their thumb on the table had to drink a shot of vodka, which she had smuggled over herself. Everyone was all for it, though Tohru had seemed a little doubtful at the idea of alcohol. An anime was put on to amuse Kisa and Hiro in another room, and the game began.
 
Haru got completely smashed during the game; he was never quick on his reflexes when he wasn't Black, and was always a little oblivious to his surroundings. Tohru too got a little tipsy, and it was after she tripped while getting a soda for Hiro (who had yelled from the other room that he was thirsty) that they decided to call it quits. It was decided that Haru would spend the night at Shigure's, as he was less likely to get caught drunk, and even if he did, Shigure probably wouldn't do anything.
 
Some time into the night, long after everyone had fallen asleep, Haru awoke with the burning need to use the bathroom. He had sluggishly made his way to the bathroom down the hall and opened the door without knocking. A loud squeak and a bright light greeted him; Tohru had been using the bathroom, but had luckily finished her business and was washing her hands when he had opened the door. It was then that it happened. Haru still wasn't sure what triggered his black side to come out, or whether it had been out the entire time. But Black Haru had taken over, and he forced himself on her. Tohru had protested a little at first, but that only drove him further.
 
When he had awoken the next morning, he barely remembered any of it, and passed it off as a dream. That was, until he saw her in the kitchen making breakfast. At the sight of him, Tohru blushed heavily, and fumbled over her words. Immediately, he knew that it was no dream, that he had done it.
 
But, he quickly forgot, until Tohru came to him earlier that day, to tell him her period was late. And, he sincerely hoped that it was just running late, that she wasn't pregnant.
 
On the way to Shigure's house, Haru stopped inside a pharmacy and bought a pregnancy test. He knew Tohru was too embarrassed to buy one herself, and so he took it upon himself to get it.
 
Once at the house, Tohru immediately went to the bathroom, while he kept himself busy, talking to Shigure. It didn't matter what he talked about, just as long as he wasn't thinking about the pregnancy test. They talked of trivial things, Haru wasn't sure what. He was on edge, waiting for Tohru to call for him-
 
“H-Haru?”
 
Her voice drifted downstairs, almost on cue. He immediately went up the stairs, and found her with her head poking out of the bathroom. Her eyes were wide, scared, and he knew what the answer was before she even opened her mouth.
 
“Haru…. It's positive.”
 
XxXxXxX
 
Please review!