Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ The Butterfly Effect ❯ planning with kyo ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Butterfly Effect chapter3
 
Yay! Chapter three even though practically no one cares because they're waiting for my other stories to be updated! Yay! … Wait, that's not right! Love all of my glory—love me! I need a boyfriend that'll actually take me out! Wahh! And I don't even own anything! The world is a cruel, cruel place!
 
 
“Did you know that I'm actually the youngest one in the department, even though I worked there the longest?” Tohru asked, climbing up the last steps into the roof.
 
Kyo turned his head, “no, you haven't told me anything about how you got there.”
 
“This'll be my twelfth year there; I've been doing this since I was five. In fact, that time when that boy in the red cap led me home… that was one of my first jobs, to lure in a child killer into the area so he would be caught… I choked and got lost running away. Embarrassing, right?” Kyo nodded a little as Tohru lied down on the roof casually on her stomach, her arms crossed over the center beam. “Have you ever acted before?”
 
“No, not really,” Kyo mumbled, settling into his usual position.
 
“What I'm going to be doing is like acting, but it's different every time. But like all plays, there are words you have to learn, lines to memorize. `Pet' is one of them. If anyone asks you on the street that looks Yankee, tell her you're Butterfly's. They'll back off if they know anything. You could say mom and the Ladies had a lot of respect on the streets.
 
“Whenever I do things like this, I have Hana and Uo as backup. Hana stays in the shadows or roofs, and Uo plays along about half a block down the street. You'll be in the car so nothing dangerous happens, but you'll still hear me though the headset.” Tohru laughed slightly, “Prostitutes can be a dangerous bunch if you're a guy!” Kyo looked about ready to protest. “I don't want either a cat or a naked teenager running through the district… it'd be distracting at best and I wouldn't be concentrating on work. The district is a very… physical place.”
 
“What about when, if, you actually attract this guy?” Kyo asked, grabbing the manila folder to look at the artist rendering.
 
“I'm going to either lead him into one of the sex houses or into an alleyway and do my `technique'… like a regular would do… he faints and you show up and pretend to be buddy-buddy with him until we get him into the car. I'll lick my wounds at the station and then we'll get back home in time for homework and bed.” Tohru shrugged, but Kyo still felt uneasy about it.
 
“But didn't your uncle or whatever get shot or something?”
 
“That's where the sex house or alleyway comes in. Hana and Uo can easily watch the alley and you need and ID to get in the sex houses. Usually the girls belong to a certain house and escort the men to that house, so I'll have to give the Mama a heads-up about you.” Tohru laughed lightly and closed her eyes, “you'll have to have a code name… like mine is blue butterfly… how about Ms. Kitty?”
 
“Aw, hell no!” Kyo jumped up and stomped his foot. “I ain't goin' into some place like that with a sissy-ass name like that!”
 
“But it'll be perfect! If you have a masculine name, it could blow the entire operation.”
 
“Come on and fight me for it then! You have a pussy punch (Shigure rolled his eyes at the unintended pun from his place on the ladder), but I saw you there, you must know how to fight!”
 
Tohru shook her head, “what would your code name be then?” she didn't even stand up to meet Kyo's challenge, but looked at the ladder instead.
 
“What about Macho-Neko.”
 
Tohru deadpanned. “With your ego…Sesshoumaru?”
 
“That's a cartoon character! Mr. Macho!” Kyo struck a pose.
 
“The Stud…” Tohru shrugged.
 
“…naw!” Kyo and Tohru agreed at the same time. Tohru went back to the ladder and watched it move subtlety again.
 
Tohru grinned and put a finger to her lips in a silent motion before starting to crawl over to the ladder, “well, at least you don't have a fluffy name like…” Tohru stuck her head over the ledge, scaring Shigure, “hi Inuyasha!”
 
“Ahh!” Shigure yelped and pulled back, accidentally knocking the ladder so it started to fall backward, Tohru attempted to grab the ladder, but it was too late for Shigure, who ended up landing on his back on the lawn. Good thing they had de-rocked the lawn (Kyo's doing) and Shigure was already halfway down in the first place.
 
“Are you alright Shigure-san?” Tohru called, looking down at the dog.
 
After a few moments, he took in a startled breath and wheezed, “I'm fine Tohru-kun.”
 
“Should I call Hatori-san for you?” Tohru started down the ladder, forgetting about the school mini-skirt that she still wore.
 
“I-I'll be fine.” Shigure sat up, holding his back, “but I'll need a chiropractor soon though…” he mumbled, wincing.
 
“Deserved that for spying on us.” Kyo 'humph'ed, grabbing the folder and following Tohru down the ladder.
 
“Shippou. If you don't like the other one, I'll call you Shippou.”
 
“Are you calling me weak?” Kyo was practically whimpering.
 
“Ms. Kitty it is!”
 
“You've been talking with Shigure again!”
 
“Neko-de.” Tohru replied, looking over her shoulder.
 
“What?”
 
“Cat claws… it's a weapon that replaces punches.” Tohru shrugged and walked up to her room with Kyo following.
 
Tohru dumped out her pack and put something on her hands, “see, neko-de.”
 
“They're just rings,” Tohru made fists that left three two-inch blades sticking between her fingers on each hand, “oh… that'd hurt. Isn't that cheating?”
 
Tohru pulled a right-straight over Kyo's left shoulder, “street fighting and martial arts are completely different. There's no `time-outs,' no `cheating,' it's all free-game. Some of them have formal training, but it doesn't' matter out here.” Putting away the various other pointy objects, Tohru sighed, “I don't like fighting, and Mom didn't like me fighting either. But I know enough to stay alive. Oh! I should tell Shigure that Uo and Hana are going to spend tomorrow night before I forget!” Tohru ran out the door, forgetting to take off her neko-de.
 
“But it's a weeknight!” Kyo called back, closing Tohru's door behind himself.
 
“All the better reason!” Tohru winked and knocked on Shigure's door, getting a groan in response.
 
“Come in Tohru-kun.” Tohru hesitated a moment before sliding the door open to reveal Shigure with one hand on his back and another writing on his manuscript.
 
“Sorry about that Shigure-san, I didn't think you would fall off” Shigure gave a reassuring smile before setting his brush down.
 
“Karma made me fall; it's not your fault… ooh… a little to the left.” Tohru kneeled behind Shigure and started giving him a shoulder massage while coaxing him to lie on his stomach.
 
“Mom taught me how to do this after she got back from work.” Tohru felt each vertebrae for alignment, “is it okay for Hana and Uo to spend the night tomorrow?” she asked, finding a particularly mis-aligned section.
 
“Ow!” Shigure hissed before relaxing again. “Yes, the girls can come over, but don't forget you have school tomorrow.”
 
“I know, we won't stay up too late.” Tohru promised, finishing her first sweep.
 
“You're better than a misuse! My little flower, can you go a little lower?” Tohru shook her head and started at Shigure's neck again. “Maybe I won't have to hall Hatori after all!”
 
“You're done, just no jumping off of ladders again, okay?” Shigure sat up and gave a fake pout.
 
“But I like jumping off roofs, I can almost fly!” Tohru smiled at his little joke.
 
“Thanks… for everything… goodnight Shigure!”
 
“Why do you want the girls over, Honda-kun?” Yuki asked, leaning outside Shigure's door.
 
“To plan. After last time…” Tohru drifted off and shook her head, “there's a reason Uo doesn't wear anything higher than her knees.” Guilt pressed on Tohru's face as she fingered the neko-de before taking them off.
 
“Then why don't I come as backup for you?” Yuki offered, following Tohru to the front room.
 
“Because I don't want you to get hurt.” Came Tohru's immediate reply. Sighing, Tohru opened one of the shoji screens and stared at the surrounding trees. “I'm barely sure that Kyo should even come with how things might go. Normally,” Tohru turned to face Yuki, tears in her eyes, “I would want all the help I can get, but I don't want to get anybody hurt. I… Mom and I, have hurt so many people doing this. That I just want it to stop.”
 
“Then why don't you?”
 
“Because I can't. `Sins of the mother' I guess.”
 
“If you want out so badly, why can't I go with you?” Yuki insisted, leaning into Tohru.
 
“I don't like this, but I'll tell you the truth: you're too clean-cut for this. If people were to find out that you were involved, your reputation would be shot! No only would you be shut out at school, but the law would get involved with your family and then everything would blow up in our faces!” Tohru thumped her head against the door frame and covered her eyes. “Unless…”
 
“Unless what?” Yuki urged, not seeing a certain creature outside.
 
“Unless you want to dress in drag-“
 
“No!”
 
“Oh, my dear brother! I just knew that you would see the light one day!” Ayame cheered, practically crushing Yuki from behind.
 
“Let me go, you ingrate!” Yuki seethed, turning to stone.
 
“Now, now. Don't be so harsh little brother!” Aya beamed, practically lighting up the entire room.
 
“How long are you staying this time Ayame-san?” Tohru smiled.
 
“Alas, I was just in the neighborhood when I got a phone call from a detective at the police department… Why Tohru, you're looking a bit flushed, maybe you should lie down and I'll call Hatori!” indeed, Tohru had taken on a pale look at the mention of the police.
 
“n-no! I'm fine!” Tohru laughed nervously, “I-I mean, why would I be worried about the police and-and…”
 
“Ah, yes, the detective said that he wanted me to do a little job for one of his girls—which most of their outfits are designed exclusively by moi—and make sure that her costume fits perfectly. The funny thing is—“
 
“Aya!” Shigure stood at the door with his hands wide open.
 
“Gure-san!” Ayame ran into Shigure's arms and gave his cousin a hug.
 
The whole scene was quiet before, “all right!” Aya stepped back and they gave each other a thumbs-up.
 
“The funny thing is,” Aya sat back down between the teenagers and used Yuki as an arm rest, “the good detective gave me this address. Did Kyo do anything that I should know about?”
 
Tohru's color came back, “no, I think the detective was talking about me Ayame-san. I work for the police sometimes and the costume for this mission needs a few adjustments before next Friday.”
 
“Hmm… I see.” Aya didn't smile as he visually took Tohru's measurements. “Well, lets see what we can do and while I'm doing that, you can tell me how you got mixed up with the police!” he smiled and helped Tohru to her feet and gently shoved her to the stairs.
 
 
(o)
 
It's not that great, but I'm at least updating. What'll happen next? Even I don't know! Dark