Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ The Embrace of God ❯ The Morning After ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Embrace of God
 
 
Disclaimer: Fruits Basket belongs to Natsuki Takaya. I'm merely a contributor to Furuba fanfiction.
 
 
Chapter Two: The Morning After
 
Tohru's eyes felt heavy as she finally saw a house...no, it was a cluster of houses. They rooftops and the windows looked oddly familiar, yet Tohru was too exhausted to ponder through her memory. Now was not the time. Staggering to the house that was the closest, Tohru weakly knocked against the shoji door.
 
The last thing she felt before collapsing into the silhouette of the figure that stood in front of her were two slender arms holding her by the shoulders as her head rested on the figure's chest. Her conscience became no more as her vision slowly blurred and faded into oblivion.
 
“I warned you that this day would come, Honda-san...and now look at yourself...I was right the whole time...wasn't I?”
 
~*~
 
The rain has come to a gradual cease as the night slowly passed. Now as the droplets of rain clung onto the spring leaves that grew by the Honke, a cluster of canaries perched on the branches chirping away at their song. The atmosphere was thin as the grass dew glittered vibrantly reflecting the sun's early morning rays that peeked out from behind several lightly shadowed clouds.
 
It was a gorgeous morning after last night's heavy rainfall.
 
An isolated figure fully clad in a traditional kimono embellished with dark fuchsia silk sat on the veranda outside his room. He had woken up earlier than usual today, due to the fact that he couldn't get much sleep in his head from what occurred last night. Tohru Honda had wandered into his estate looking battered with scratches and cuts all over her body. Her night attire was torn in various places mostly around the sleeves and pants but they were minor compared to the torn look in her faded eyes.
 
His first impulse was to throw her aside and go back to bed, but it was raining so hard and Hatori or one of the maids would have discovered her bruised form in the morning sooner or later. So, to avoid questions regarding why a bruised Tohru Honda was laying unconscious right outside his room, Akito thought twice and decided to bring her indoors. He didn't do much after that, except for laying out a simple but dry resting mat on the tatami floor and setting her sleeping form on it. He was lighter than her due to his weak-conditioned health, which made it difficult lifting her, so he settled for dragging her inside instead. He was positive the welts that appeared on her skin wouldn't bother her too much when she woke up. It'll be the cuts and slashes that'll spell a-g-o-n-y for Tohru.
 
Making sure that she was at least dry with that blanket, he callously unfolded a covering for her before he yawned and crept back into his bed — which was only about five feet away from where she slept.
 
There was no sympathy he felt for the weakened girl; rather it gave him a slight thrill to see her like this; hurt, both emotionally and physically, and damaged. It was a sight to see compared to the usual times he encountered before when she was all `perfect'.
 
He knew this kind of event would happen sooner or later. It was just a matter of time before the full realization of what she got herself ensnared in drove into her skull. And when it did, she ran to the only person who had been truthful about the curse since the beginning: Akito Sohma.
 
At this moment the Head of the Clan was pondering over the subject of what to do with her. It won't be wise to dispose of her at this very moment, perhaps later? No. He was too light to carry her body and like hell was he ever going to exhaust himself by dragging her around again. Hatori was going to check up on him soon and he had to do something to hide her body or the Dragon will be drilling him in the head with endless questions like: What is Honda-san doing here at the Honke? How did she end up in your room? Did you do anything `bad' to her? He'll never hear the end of Hatori's lecture and one of Akito's top pet-peeves were getting lectures from the Dragon even though he was his good doctor…
 
Akito's musings were interrupted suddenly by a low moan sounding from inside his room. The girl must have woken up. `Great, maybe now I can get rid of her…' He thought anxiously and stood up. He walked to the shoji door that lead to his room and slid it open slightly, peeking inside to see if she was truly awake or only sounding a dream. His eyes were met with the fragile form of the eighteen yr. old girl who had run to him in tears last night.
 
---
 
Tohru's eyes fluttered open as a melody from outside drifted to her ears. As she turned to lie on her back, a low moan of discomfort reverberated from her throat. Her flipside skin felt like it was being pulled apart and stretched beyond the limit the muscles would allow. Wincing from the acute pain that shot up her spine from her movement of sitting upright, Tohru rubbed her eyes and blinked them a few times to get accustomed to the light.
 
A sharp intake of breath barely escaped her lips as she took in the furniture and décor of the room she was in. This room looked elderly yet it was well-designed and it had a simplicity about it that awed Tohru; whoever lived in this particular room must have good taste. It was so unlike her room which had a wall with clustered photos of her and Yuki and Kyo. `Kyo-kun! Sohma-kun!' Tohru's eyes widened as her mind replayed the sad events from last night that sent her running to...to someone who lived here at the Honke...
 
Tohru tried to stand up, but her leg muscles were terribly sore. She couldn't move any part of her lower body which meant that she could not walk over to the door beside the shaded window with light peeking in through the curtains. `What time is it?' She gently flipped the covers that were shielding her lower body but regretted the move instantly after getting a good look at those hideous cuts and bruises that marred her perfect skin after that mindless dash through the forest.
 
“...Do you like what you see?” Spoke a distant voice from behind her.
 
That voice...
 
She heard it last night as well before she fainted...
 
“I warned you that this day would come, Honda-san...and now look at yourself...I was right the whole time...wasn't I?”
 
Now that Tohru thought about it, it sounded masculine, so it must belong to a male...
 
Honda-san. This person must have met her before if he knew her last name...
 
The only two people living at the Honke who addressed her formally by her last name were Hatori-san and...and...
 
“Akito-san...”
 
His name floated pass her lips almost inaudibly. A cold sensation of intense horror and dread were slowly gripping her thumping heart. She couldn't look into the eyes of the figure she collapsed against last night because the sky was so opaque and her eyelids could barely keep themselves open, so she couldn't know who brought her inside from the rain.
 
But now she knew, and Tohru was certain that she was in for it. Waking someone up in the middle of the night was one thing. Waking the Head of the Sohmas up in the middle of the night was a completely different thing. She trespassed on his property and touched him (even though she only leaned on him) without his permission, and no doubt he must be furious with her right now. But how will she tell him that she couldn't move because her legs were sprained?
 
She bit her lips and shut her eyes, preparing for the blow or yank of hair she felt certain would come as she heard his footsteps softly pad into the room from where she assumed he was before on the porch.
 
---
 
After making sure that she was up Akito smoothly slid the shoji door open. Even though her back was facing him he could see that her shoulder muscles had visibly tensed upon hearing his footsteps into the room. Was she frightened of him?
 
Akito gracefully walked over to where the damaged girl sat and knelt down beside her. Her expression was almost laughable; those eyes were squint and those lips were red—probably from a nervous habit of biting them. `Does she honestly think I'm going to hit her?' He thought as he slowly lifted a pale hand to cup her chin. He wasn't surprised when she flinched at the contact. Many before her had felt the same fear by him.
 
But his touches weren't hateful or harsh, nor was it loving or tender; it could only be described as gentle -no, gentle seemed too kind. He didn't feel anything for this girl in front of him. At least not at the moment. There were times when he loathed her and wished that she had never wandered in on his Jyuunishis, but now he only felt calmness and a slight childish curiosity as he examined her surprised face.
 
Tohru felt her cheeks begin to burn slightly from the closeness of his face's proximity to her. She dared not pull away or do anything to upset him. Not when half of her body was immobilized. All Tohru could do was shyly stare back at his cold but beautiful deep orbs. Wait. Did she just think that his eyes were beautiful? `Oh, mom, what's happening to me?' Tohru wondered as her face grew redder and redder.
 
Much to her relief, Akito let go of her chin and walked away from where she sat. His back was turned to her allowing her some privacy of recovering from their little `staring contest' which he won even though he pulled away first. His face was expressionless as he nonchalantly spoke.
 
“Would you like some water?”
 
Tohru swallowed. Her throat felt scratchy and dry, and water would definitely soothe it. She nodded, but then saw that he was facing away so instead she spoke quietly, “Yes, please, Akito-san...”
 
“Akito-sama.” He corrected tonelessly before facing her again. “You will address me as -sama when you are on Honke soil.” His teal eyes gazed brazenly at her, as if they were looking through her soul. Tohru felt an ominous shiver pass her spine at the gleam in his irises. He didn't look ready to strike at her, but there was certainly negativity in his expression. Tohru suddenly had a flash of what happened to Hatori's left eye and she repeated his name with more respect. “Akito-sama...”
 
He seemed to approve of this as he walked towards his door. “Can you stand up?” He inquired stopping his pace and turning back to her. Tohru sucked in her breath and tried her hardest to get up, using her arms as support but those scratches that were on her arms ached sharply in protest. She gave a small cry of pain at this before shaking her head no at a bemused Akito.
 
“Ano...I don't think I can move very much, Akito-sama.” Tohru replied sadly.
 
“Wait here then...” With that, Akito swiftly turned around and slid the shoji door open.
 
“...Are you going to get Hatori-san?”
 
“No.”
 
The door slid shut, leaving a confused Tohru looking after it. She wondered what he was off to do if he wasn't getting Hatori-san. But maybe she could just ask him when he returns for some bandages so she could take care of her wounds? After waiting for Akito for a while, Tohru began to feel unclean and she wondered if there was a bathroom nearby. A shower would certainly do her some good, but when she stretched her tired legs a bit the dull ache in her limbs reminded her of her injuries. `Oh, maybe I shouldn't have left Shigure-san, Kyo-kun and Sohma-kun...I was being too rash...maybe they didn't mean it the way they said it...' Tohru thought, tears beginning to collect in her eyelids. She was already starting to miss them.
 
`But if I had stayed, I would only get in their way...I am a burden to them. It's probably better if I stay out of their lives so that they can continue living it without me to interfere...' Her brain began to throb from thinking in circles so much that she just decided to stare at the walls. Tohru found a comfortable position to sit in and she just sat there, waiting for Akito's return.
 
What was taking him so long?
 
---
 
Akito wandered through the halls gathering as much materials as he could hold in a bag without catching too many odd glances from the maids. In his bag he collected a few rolls of bandage, some disinfectant wipes, a stitching kit, some rubbing alcohol and a big fluffy white bath towel. He was certain that he had assembled together enough medical supplies to make only one trip. He didn't want to rouse any suspicions from the maids by walking to and fro his room with a bag more than once.
 
As he walked through the halls that led to his room he suddenly realized how much he was acting like the Dragon; always carrying his medicine for him every day to and fro his check-up. Which reminded him; Hatori will be here soon. If Akito could just move Tohru to another room and shush her long enough for his check-up to pass, then Hatori wouldn't know about his little `guest'. Akito grinned smugly at the idea of being sneaky behind his own doctor's back as he stopped in front of his door. Looking around to make sure no one is nearby, he slid the door open and wasn't surprised to see Tohru gazing at the elaborate décor in the room, including the indoor lilies.
 
Tohru turned when he closed the door and eyed the bag inquisitively. She could see the edge of a towel peeking out and by the looks of it, several small boxes from their stretching against the threshold of the bag. Akito caught the curious shine in her blue orbs and said calmly, “I've brought some medicine and bandages for your wounds, Tohru-san...” He set the bag down and sat crossed-legged from her with the bag in between them. Tohru couldn't help asking, “Thank you, but, umm...may I ask what kind of medicine you brought for me, Akito-sama?” She blinked good-naturedly.
 
Akito reached inside the bag and pulled out the first object his pale fingers touched. This, much to both their surprises, was a fresh unused syringe with needle. Akito hadn't really paid close attention to what he snatched from the cabinets of Hatori's office because he was in a hurry and he was in no mood to explain to the Dragon should he come early and catch him skulking inside his office.
 
While Akito pondered on how to use a syringe properly to administer the anesthetic drug he brought in the bag, Tohru cleanly looked like she was about to have a heart attack.
 
Her eyes as wide as china plates, she gulped and spoke as clearly as she could without the pounding nervousness present in her voice, “A-ano, Akito-sama, a-are you s-sure you know how to use that properly?!” Realizing that she might have insulted his doctoring skills, she gasped and quickly covered her mouth. `But I never saw Akito-sama be a doctor before...wasn't Hatori-san the one who took care of him?'
 
Akito ignored her and set the syringe aside, mumbling faintly, “We'll worry about that later...” He reached into the bag again and took out the bath towel that was already folded. Handing it to her he replied, “Dry yourself off with this after you're done showering.” Seeing the questioning look in her eyes he added, “After we clean your wounds off with these disinfectants.”
 
Tohru watched as he took out some disinfecting ointment and some wet wipes. Her cheeks lightly flushed as he carefully took her left arm and skillfully applied a couple drops of ointment at every scratch. The cream felt cool and soothing against her skin as he cautiously started wiping her arm with the wet wipes, making sure that all her wounds had been disinfected. When he was done inspecting his work, Akito murmured for her to move a little so that he could get to work on the right arm.
 
Out of the blue, Tohru realized how awkward the situation has become; especially when the comprehension that she could still move her arms around and therefore she could have applied the medicine by herself came to mind. As if sensing her sudden discomfort, the young God stopped his progress and looked up to meet her gaze with his own. “Do you feel any stinging?” He asked smoothly.
 
“S-stinging?” Tohru blinked, confused as to what he asked.
 
“Whenever Hatori applies ointment for the sores that I get he has to check the brand of the ointment first to see if it's compatible with my sensitive skin. Most of them cause the sores to become more intense rather than make them go away...” Akito explained in his low breath. Tohru couldn't help noticing the distance her body had absentmindedly nudged closer to his. She was practically leaning on him for crying out loud... `Ooh, Akito-sama smells so nice...like faded sweet pea...' Tohru mentally slapped herself on the head for that thought. She never thought of Yuki or Kyo that way before, so how could she ever think this way towards their leader?
 
`Oh mom, I'm so ashamed of myself from thinking this way about Akito-sama. He's trying to help me by cleaning my wounds, and here I am, daydreaming about how nice he smells! Pull yourself together, Tohru!' Tohru thought determinedly. `Be sharp for once!'
 
“Are you upset about my cleaning you're injuries, Tohru-san?” Akito's collected voice cut through her thoughts like a knife.
 
“Huh, wha—?” She turned to him quickly, a nervous squiggle where her lips should be.
 
“I asked you, `Are you upset about my cleaning you're injuries,' Tohru-san?” He reminded, this time with a little hint of amusement and irritation present in his voice.
 
“Oh! Er-No! Gomenasai! M-my mind was just...just drifting onto other...things...” Tohru trailed off looking away. She was sure her cheeks were a lovely shade of magenta by now. Probably even brighter than his kimono.
 
“You're stressed aren't you? It's fairly obvious by the tensed muscles on your neck. And your fists are clenched...do I frighten you that much, Tohru-san?” He asked forlornly. Tohru noticed that his voice sounded like that of a lost and sad child who had been abandoned by his mother. She bit her lips and slowly met her eyes with his, answering, “N-no...you don't frighten me; Akito-sama...my mind was on what happened to me...the night before...” Tohru turned away in uneasiness.
 
“Oh, really? Talking about it may help you feel better...” Akito nudged sympathetically. He seemed to be getting the most out of her discomfort.
 
“Ano...Shigure-san, Kyo-kun and Sohma-kun...they...said s-some...things...” She mumbled feebly.
 
“You poor dear...,” Akito tsked as he finished cleaning her right arm; “...it isn't very just that they treat like that, ne? After all that you've done for those animals...”
 
Tohru noticed that his tone somehow changed when he uttered the word `animals'. “Akito-sama, I really haven't done much for them...perhaps they're right. Maybe I am a burden to them...” She reasoned. Tohru didn't think that her `friends' were to blame for what happened.
 
If only she hadn't woken up last night... and at least they had the decency to talk about her when she wasn't around...
 
Akito's ears picked up the information that he coaxed out of Tohru. `So they have finally realized that she is trouble..?' A small curve tugged at his lips as he watched her unguarded form stare at the window. `Maybe I can put her to good use while she is in such a broken phase...yes, that's it. Honda-san is at a phase where she is emotionally broken from she just heard...if I can control her and bend her to my will, then my Jyuunishis will soon understand the true power I have over them as their God...
 
...and they'll all return to me...'
 
Perfect.
 
This plan wasn't just perfect, it's completely flawless.
 
There is no way he could fail...
 
Not when he has their little flower ensnared in his clutches.
 
The flower that once gave them hope...
 
...and joy...
 
...shall become their utter downfall to him.
 
“Akito-sama?”
 
Akito snapped out of his reverie and stared back at the brunette that lay in front of him. “Nani?”
 
Tohru's face was red as a peach. She did what he assumed was a “bow” but with her legs too sore to move before speaking kindly, her chocolate-brown locks falling down her shoulders.
 
“Akito-sama, thank you for treating my injuries...”
 
“I'm not finished yet.” Akito said coolly.
 
“Eh?!” Tohru eyes were wide.
 
“There are still some wounds on your legs...mostly at your...” He trailed off, because he didn't wish to traumatize her by mentioning the tender area that was her inner thigh. Tohru's red face turned possibly redder at this as she began fidgeting nervously with the edges of her pajamas. She briefly wondered before how this scene would unfold, and the ending didn't quite fit Akito's current personality very adequately.
 
“Ano...Akito-sama, I-I can treat my leg wounds since I can still move my arms.”
 
He nodded understandingly and moved the bag closer towards her. Standing up, Akito began walking to the door that led to the veranda. “Tohru-san, when you're done applying treatment to your leg injuries, call for me and I get started with the stitching for your cuts...” Akito watched as Tohru nodded meekly at him before he turned and slid the shoji door open.
 
Tohru's eyes widened at the beautiful scenery of thousands of sakura petals twirling in the air.
`It's so lovely outside...I wish I could go catch the falling pink petals...'
 
The shoji door slid closed again, obstructing the view of the outside world. Tohru could faintly hear Akito as his footsteps padded softly against the wood before nothing else could be heard. However, Tohru could still his outline pass the slight transparent door. He was leaning against a tree...and from the looks of it; he was playing with a small bird that perched on his finger.
 
Tohru tore her eyes away and focused back to her leg wounds. She gently eased out of her pajama bottoms and observed the marks that stretched diagonally from her inner though to her hips. They looked bad, but they were faint; more like whip marks. It was the cuts on her arms that would need stitching. But they didn't look so bad anymore due to the disinfecting ointment.
 
`Akito-sama, thank you for helping me...' With that thought, Tohru proceeded to treat her wounds.
 
---
 
“Cheep!”
 
Akito swiftly caught the bird before it could fly away by pinching it's wings. He slowly closed his pale fingers over the canary like a cage that was getting smaller. As the tiny bird chirped pathetically for mercy from it's captor, Akito played with the feathers on it's head tenderly before holding the bird up to his lips, pecking it on the head in cruel affection.
 
The God whispered to the struggling bird, “Tohru-san, thank you for helping me..,” before defiling the white canary of it's life, ending it's pitiful chirps.
 
 
A/N: I accept constructive criticism and reviews encourage me to write more and update sooner, so if you want to see updates more frequently, then click the pretty blue button...