Full Metal Panic Fan Fiction ❯ Bulletproof ❯ Discovery ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Situated after the first TV serie. To my dismay, I haven't seen the second one yet, ngaaah!!!! Anyway, Melissa decides to resign, a fact that doesn't please Thessa, the young captain of the Thuata De Daanan, for various reasons...

Chapter one

* Limb by limb and tooth by tooth,

stirring up inside of me,

every day, every hour,

I wish that I.... was bulletproof... *

"Mmmh! There's nothing more relaxing than a hot bath with a cold beer!" Sighed Melissa. The last months had been quite ectic, but now that Gaul was dead, things were coming back to a relative normalcy. She had at least been allowed to leave the infirmary. After Thessa scolded her for not remaining there during the battle for the ship. Melissa smiled. The sweet captain hated losing soldiers on the battlefield. She was an idealist!

"I was like that when I was younger... `Wonder what happened to me?" But she knew perfectly well. Too many battles, too many fellow soldiers lost...

She angrilly swallowed the rest of her beer in one long sip. "Tssst, stop mourning! Past is past, move on with your life!"

Just as she said that, the door was swung open, giving way to an angry looking captain. She was disheveled, bangs of her eery white hair falling in her silvery eyes. She was also panting. She had obviously ran all the way to the `bathroom'. The younger girl held out her hand, showing some piece of paper. "Will you please explain to me what this is?" She shouted for everyone to hear.

The pilot narrowed her eyes and said quite flatly "Well, obviously, this is my resignation letter." And opened herself a fresh can of beer.

"I know that! What I want to know is why?"

"If you stopped shouting, maybe I could tell you..." The dark-haired woman was about to add something when she suddenly noticed something behind the captain. A vein popped on her forehead and she violently hurled her can towards the startled captain. The can flew past her at top speed and crashed loudly square on the forehead of Kurz Weber.

"Thessa-san, would you be kind enough to shut this door and leave this peeping tom outside?"

The captain looked a long time at the fallen and currently unconscious blond haired pilot, then back at her female subordinate. "Uh! Right!"

Two minutes later, the door was firmly closed and the white-haired girl had joined the other in the bath. The two women were staring at each other, occasionally sipping at their respective can. `She really isn't a child anymore...' Mused admiringly the pilot through half-lidded eyes.

Melissa studied a moment longer the stubborn face of her commander and smiled at herself. "So! You wanna know why I wanna quit?"

The younger girl simply nodded.

Melissa rested her head on the rim of the tub while her gaze got lost in past memories. When she finally spoke again, it was in a soft, low voice. "D'you remember when we fought against each other with the A.S? Do you remember this feeling?"

Thessa shifted uncomfortably, but nodded again.

"The fear and excitement of the fight that culminates in the destruction of your enemy... And then, the void you're left in, when everything's over..."

Thessa had never heard the usually energetic and outgoing sergent major talk like that. To say that it was surprising was an understatement. True, Melissa could be an irresponsible fool at times, but she was also strong, reliable, highly capable, loyal and determined. She had never pictured her as the melancholic sort. And if that was surprising, what was the word for the feelings that rose in her when Melissa's calves accidently brushed her thighs? The young captain barely supressed a shiver, but didn't actually broke contact. She refocused with some difficulty on her subordinate who hadn't stopped her monologue.

"... This void... I feel it all the time now... I... I just don't know what I'm fighting for anymore... I... I feel lost... I just can't fight like this..."

Melissa suddenly raised her head back and riveted her eyes to those of her captain who was lost in her own ocean of confusion.

"I don't know who I'm fighting for anymore."

This struck Thessa badly, who took it as a personnal attack. "I... I know that I'm not the best of the captains, but you don't fight for me, but for an ideal, for a better fut..." She didn't know why she felt compelled to defend herself. Mythrill was composed of mercenaries, each of them had their own reason to be there... or to leave.

The A.S. pilot cut her off. "No! You're a fine captain, the better we could hope for, you've proven yourself more than one once." Again, her gaze got lost. "And you've never considered war as a game... But, as for the ideals, do we have the right to impose our own conception of future to the others? To the cost of lives?"

They looked at each other for a long time, until Melissa sighed and got out of the bath. Just before she exited the bathroom, she added "Don't worry, I'll honor my contract until the end, you'll still have to stand me during one last month.".

Thessa remained motionless for a long time. She felt a bit confused. In all honesty, she often asked herself if she, if Mythril had the right to dispose of others's lives like she did. But that wasn't her main problem right now. What was bothering her, were the new feelings she felt towards the sergent major. Up until now, she would have always described their relationship as some rollercoster. But this, this was new. Well, okay, not exactly. She had already briefly experienced it, the one time they had hugged each other after their little contest. But, it was all in the heat of the moment, wasn't it?

She blushed. There had been dreams... Sweet dreams...

And for some reason, the idea of Melissa Mao leaving was really, really upsetting her! And not only because she was one of her best soldiers.

"So... Now, what?" She sighed in frustration. "Oh, I really need help..."

---------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------------------

Knock, Knock...

Chidori Kaname stopped her cooking. "Uhh? I wasn't expecting anyone..."

Someone knocked again and Chidori made her way to the door of her small flat. "Hai! I'm coming!". Under her breath, she muttered "... Better not be Sosouke with another of his security toys...". When she opened it, her eyes doubled in surprise of who was standing there.

"Thessa-san? What are you doing here? Are you alone? I mean..." She stuttered "You're always welcomed but you didn't tell me you were coming... I could have..."

The white-haired girl interrupted her with a sunny smile. "My guards are waiting outside. May I come in?"

Some time later, they were both sharing the meal Kaname had been cooking. "Thessa-san... I'm pleased to have you here, but... Why?"

Thessa smiled wickedly "Why? Can't I pay a friendly visit to the heroin who saved my ship? Friends are supposed to see each other sometimes. We are friends, aren't we?"

Kaname sweatdropped at that, but smiled back sincerly. "Of course, we are!"

"Thank you... You know, it's really important to me. I mean, the crew is wonderful, but, sometimes, I would like to live a normal life, have many friends at school and do what girls of our age are supposed to do... But that will never happen..." She sighed. " But I didn't come here to complain about myself. Actually, I need your help."

"Ohh? Is there a problem with the ship?"

"Mmh? Oh no! Nothing so serious... It's kind of a... personal matter..."

The blue-haired girl just looked at her curiously.

Thessa took a deep breath. "You see, there's this person I've always liked, and, at least for me, it has recently developped into something more. And I don't know what to do..."

Kaname tensed slightly. "I don't think that... I'm the right one to be asked this to."

Thessa looked up at her with a mix of disappointment and ununderstanding when the proverbial lamp lit up. She smiled widely "Oh! You think I'm talking about Sosouke!"

"Err... Aren't you?"

"No! I'm not! Do you remember when I explained you how telepathy works? That it is more like a merging of minds and the sharing of thoughts and feelings?"

"Hum... yeah?"

"Well, I've realised a long time ago that the feelings I had for Sosouke... came, in reality, from you, from our first telepathic `talk'." She smiled again. "Those are pretty strong feelings you have for him, or I wouldn't have picked them up on such a short merging! You should tell him."

Kaname blushed profusely and coughed in the hope to hide her embarassement. "Kof... Kof... Then, why did you tell me you two had a... relationship?"

Thessa pouted "Well, it took me some time to figure it out. And it was just too fun to pretend to be a normal girl with a crush on a cute guy! Isn't he cute when he is embarassed?"

A vein began to throb on Chidori's forehead. "Are you sure that you're really over him?"

"Well, mostly. But don't be so suspicious, I'm not going to steal him away from you. Anyway, I don't stand a chance against such a good cooker!" She answered cheerfully.

Kaname blushed again. "Hum, okay, thank you, but it's not like we are together or something..." She took a big breath and became all buziness. "Then, who is the lucky guy you're talking about, if I may ask? Is it a member of your crew?"

"Why do you want to know?"

"Hey! If I have to developp a crush on someone on our next telepathic link, I'd like to be warned!" And she mentally listed the men she knew Thessa was closest to. Sosouke? No, he wasn't in the game anymore. Then, the major Karirin? Yuk! Too old! But, then again, some girls did like older men, for whatever reason. And finally Weber. That pervert! But he could be charming when he wanted to, then, why not?

Thessa grinned devilishly. "It's one of my soldiers, right, but I won't tell you exactly who. It would spoil all the fun! We can't have that, can we?"

Kaname made a face. Like the guards, outside, who were of course listening with a rapt attention to the whole conversation. Not their fault if they'd got such a sensible equipment, was it?

"Then, how am I supposed to help you?"

The young captain slumped back in her chair, looking up at the ceyling. "I... don't really know myself... I just hoped something would pop up and help me clarify my feelings..."

Kaname leaned forward, resting her chin in her palms. "What do you mean?"

"I mean... I can't deny the attraction I have for this person. These are my own feelings this time, and their strengh scares me. If I was to be rejected... And even if I wasn't, to stay with me means a life of danger. To see my soldiers injured, or killed is hard enough. What about the one I love? How can I impose this on anyone? Especially if this person doesn't want this life anymore..."

Kaname closed her eyes and reflected on her own situation with Sosuke. When she finally opened them, Thessa was staring at her intently. `Now I see why she came to me.'

She smiled gently. "Hum, you have basically two choices. Not telling him and wondering the rest of your life what could have been. Or take a chance and tell him. Either way, you'll have to face the consequences. But I don't think you want to become an old lonely grouch, because you were too afraid to act on your feelings!"

That made the young captain laugh sincerly at the picture she just got of herself. "No, I really don't want that!"

"Good! Then, it's something you'll have to do sooner or later. As for the danger, it's his choice to do. If he returns your feelings, he would gladly risk his life everyday for you, as you would for him. And if you want my opinion, he would be a fool not to love you back!"

Unknown to her, the guards nodded in agreement. Each of them praying to be the one and swearing to beat to death the idiot who would dare to reject their dear captain.

Thessa smiled at her friend. "Thank you very much. Now, I know what I have to do. Sosouke is very lucky to have you!" And she left a very blushing and stammering teal-haired girl behind.

---------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------------------

Six days already.

Six days that they were stuck in this hell on earth that the columbian forest was. The engines were beginning to suffer of the constant humidity and the men were assaulted by the whole population of starving moskitos this goddamn jungle sheltered. And no cocain dealer in sight.

Melissa slapped herself for the billionth time. She examined with an evil satisfaction the crumpled dipter in her hand before returning her attention to her notebook. According to their informations, an unusually large quantity of drug was to be transported through the jungle to secret clears where helicopters should be awaiting it. Needless to say that with the amount of money it meant, a strong security was to be expected. The mission was simple: follow them, identify the leaders and stop them. But of course, to achieve this, the drug dealers would have to show up first! This was so unfair! This was her last mission after all. She'd have appreciated to leave on a spectacular grand final. She couldn't even make fun of Weber, since he was on holidays somewhere in Germany, and Sosouke was still on his `assignment' in Tokyo. Thinking about her companions brought a small smile to her lips. She was going to miss them. Deeply. The bond created between soldiers of a team were strong, almost family like, if not completely for people like herself. They had shared so much. They were her brothers. She would always care for them.

And then, there was...

New pictures appeared in her mind as her smile became dreamy. Pictures of a young and beautiful white-haired woman, dressed in a much too serious uniform. So frail, and yet, so determined. So righteous and strong-willed, but so unsure of herself at the same time. There was something about her, that just made everyone want to protect her, sergent-major Melissa Mao included.

She sighed wistfully and found herself staring at her notebook without really seing it for the last ten minutes. `Oh crap! This isn't like me at all. Next time, I'll be drooling all over myself. Hopefully, it will cease when I stop seing her! I almost lost it, the other day, in the bath... But I couldn't help myself! This was so damn tempting! Her skin was so soft! I'm lucky she didn't notice anything. That would have been the end of me. I couldn't take her looking at me with disgust. I don't care about anybody else, but... No, not from her!' She closed her eyes. `That's the real reason I've got to run away. This is a battle I can't win...'

Just at this moment, all hell broke loose. Out of instinct, she jumped behind a large boulder, which shielded her of a deafening explosion and an incandescent rain of schrappnels. A bit dazzled by the sonic shock, she crawled in the bushes, hiding herself to have the time to recover and determine what was going on. She raised a hand to her right ear, then brought it before her face. She frowned.

Blood. Her ears were bleeding...

That had been a close one.

Another explosion made her jerk her head in its direction. A mecha of her team had just been destroyed. She suddenly looked at the place her own A.S. had been. Now, there was only a fuming piece of metallic scrap.

Then, she heard others explosions. One by one, A.Ss were blown away by rockets. Some tried to take off and fire back, but the enemy missils just seemed to come from everywhere. She tried to contact them by radio. Nothing but a faint buzz answered her. The damn thing was probably broken!

Under the predominent sound of huge explosions and metal torn apart, she soon heard the staccato of automatic weapons. And humans cries of agony. She clenched her teeth. Whoever attacked them were going all out.

No quarters given. No prisoners.

A single tear ran down her left cheek, then she frowned and let loose with a long serie of curses. These assholes had surrounded them! How?!? They were supposed to have the finest detectors! Their sensors SHOULD have spotted them!!! And how did they knew they would be there, in the first place? Sounds of fights nearby interrupted her feverish thoughts. She armed her semi-automatic gun and headed carefully toward it.

There! Down to the river where they had installed their temporary camp. Two of her men were hiding behind some boulders, just like she had before. But unlike her, they had been spotted by the enemies. From her higher point of view, she could easily take in the situation. Three mens were firing at them relentlessy, clearly not allowing any other form of escape to her two fellow soldiers than death. And they laughed!!! The bloody bastards laughed!

She hated this kind of people. They were all she had always fought against. Those who thought they were strong because they had a weapon, those who took pride or pleasure in killing other people... Those who had no respect for life.

In the meantime, a group of five other men were discretly making their way through the forest, clearly intending to shot the two Mythril soldiers in their back.

Time to turn tables.

She didn't have much time to act. She crawled her way to the firing men, her progression unnoticed, thanks to all the noise they were making. When she was at the good distance, she armed one of her grenades, counted, then threw it to the trio.

They didn't even saw it coming. No one survived.

She took advantage of the frozen moment that followed to shout a warning to her comrades. They recognised her voice and just had the time to find new shelters against the new threat. They shot down two of the enemies before the others could find shelters too. The three others, with a sudden unknown quantity of adversary, preferred to flee.

Melissa got out of her hiding place and quickly joined her soldiers. O'Brien and Olafson. She smiled. Those two were old good chaps too. Always ready for a round of beer and a good fight.

"Good to see you're still alive, sergent-major." Saluted Olafson.

She saluted back. "I could say the same about you, corporal Olafson. And how about you, corporal O'Brien?" The man was obviously clutching his left arm, which had been recently and hurriedly bandaged.

"What? Oh, that? Don't worry, ma'am, that's nothing, won't stop me to kick their butt!"

She smirked. "Good! But for now, We can't stick here, they'll be back. We'd be better off and see if any of the others could make it too. Could you contact any of them?"

Olafson shook his head. "No, our radios don't seem to work."

"What? Did you try the emergency signal?"

"Yes, of course! But no answer... All we can do is hope that the Thuata De Danan got it..."

End of chapter one

I haven't seen many fics about Full Metallic Panic yet, tough, I must say, it's great! This little story just popped in my head, and there's more to come... Bulletproof is one of my favorite songs, ever. It's from Radiohead, the bends... It partly inspired the story, and well, when you feel it, you have to do it, don't you? Of course, I don't owe Full Metal Panic, altough, O'Brien and Olafson are my creations.

Ja ne