Full Moon Wo Sagashite Fan Fiction ❯ Incarnate ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 1
A sixteen-year-old girl named Full Moon had re-emerged onto the music scene, completely unchanged from the past. Her fans were loyal in waiting for her return and some fans were new. Her new single “Feathers of an Angel” was slowly climbing the charts. Her boyfriend, Takuto Kira was also her rival in the music business. His single, “Horizon” was released simultaneously with her song. Mitsuki's grandmother had passed away three years ago, at the time that she was supposed to have died. So, she was now under the protective care of Takuto. Her debut concert was hours away and she was opening for Takuto who had formed Route L again with original member, Keichi, and two new members, Take and Hiroshi.
The dressing room was warm and bright. Mitsuki was excited about her first concert in four years. She left the music business when she was twelve because she thought she was going to die in one year. Now, she had Takuto and Meroko who both watched over her. Takuto watched over her in person, while Meroko watched over her as an angel. Mitsuki never took their protection for granted and had blossomed into a pure, kind, and innocent girl. She still loved Eichi, but she loved Takuto more. He was here in person and watched over her like a hawk. Even Meroko who was an angel now watched over her friend and the man she loved. Eichi was dead, but he never showed any interest in reaching her from the afterlife. No ghosts, poltergeists, sudden winds, or any form of him showed up to reach her and comfort her. When she needed that comfort, it was Takuto who stood by her, not Eichi. Still, she never hated Eichi. Not even for one moment.
It was time to start the show. In her outfit chosen by Takuto, she stepped out onto the stage for the first time in four years. The crowd was cheering for her. She took the microphone in her hands, trying to not drop it while her hands shook in nervousness. She had done this before many times in her dreams. Singing in front of people was natural to her fantasies. Somehow tonight it was all coming true. She was still alive when she should have died three years ago. Instead her grandmother had taken her place. The thought was too much for her. Her cancer-free throat helped her tongue move to speak.
“Hello everyone...it feels good to be back, so I'll start with a song that I hope you remember from so long ago.”
Her strong and clear voice pelted out a rhythm that she had first sung. Now, it didn't hurt when she sang or raised her voice. The lyrics to “New Future” filled the ears of the audience and those that remembered the song, sang with her. Tears filled her eyes as she saw lips moving in sync to the words. They still remembered her and came to see her! Motivation pumped adrenaline, which started a high-energy show. At the end, she was so touched that she agreed to do an autograph session after. A line formed. Even though Takuto was the headliner for the show, her fans only heard him as he provided the music to pass time while waiting in line. The two security guards who had to stand by her booth did little to hide their annoyance at having to stay longer they had been scheduled. But, Mitsuki had no regrets and smiled politely to each fan and signed autographs with enthusiasm.
Soon, a photograph of her landed in front of her. She looked up, but couldn't see anybody. Her mind filled with one word.
Eichi.
Suddenly a small voice came, “Miss Full Moon, can you sign this for me, please?”
Wrinkling her eyebrows, she leaned over the table and saw a small boy with blond hair. He was a carbon copy of Sakurai Eichi!
He spoke again, “Can you sign this, please?”
With a racing heart, she found that she couldn't take her eyes off of the boy. He seemed to be about six years old. One of the guards shook her out of her stupor.
“He's asking you to sign the picture.”
The blush that covered her face went unnoticed by the young boy who had no experience about girls. She wanted to reach out and touch him, but was afraid to. If he disappeared in front of her, she had no idea what to do.
Forcing a smile, she asked, “How are you?”
He looked at her, and then looked at the ground, “I don't know.”
Desperately wanting to talk to this little boy, she purposely spilled her water on him, making it look like an accident. Feigning horror at her mistake, she stopped the autograph session and pulled the boy aside to dry his clothes. The guards expressed their growing dismay over fighting back the crowd and ushered her into her dressing room. The boy followed, holding her hand, so he wouldn't get lost amidst the throng of people. Locking the door behind her, she released his hand only to realize that her own were wet with sweat. Wiping her palms on her skirt, she motioned to the chair while she bent down over a drawer and pulled out a hair dryer.
“What's your name?”
He looked at her with soft, gentle eyes, “Tateishi Eichi.”
Her heart skipped another beat.
His worried expression caused her to explain, “You...look like...someone I know.”
A knowing laugh rang, “Is that why you spilled water on me?”
She blushed in front of the little boy again, “It's not something you should ask grown-ups about.”
He got up and took off his shirt.
“Sorry about asking that. You can give this shirt back to me when it's dry. I'll wait around here.”
Sighing, she stood up, “Wait! At least, sit down in that chair and have some cookies and water.”
A smile finally broke out, “If you have some, then please. I haven't eaten yet.”
Walking over to her dressing table, she opened the middle drawer and pulled out a bag of cookies. He accepted them and started chomping away. Then, she offered him a brand new bottle of water, which he used to wash down the cookies. Her eyes wouldn't move from his fingers. Those fingers which were now dirty with cookie crumbs looked so much like Eichi's hands. She would know. After all, she made a promise with him in a pinkie swear. What would it be like to touch those hands again? Would they feel the same? Or would she feel like she was holding a little boy's hand?
She jumped back when he asked for the bathroom to wash his hands. Not realizing that she had slowly crept up to his side, she looked away and pointed to the small door on the left side of the room. Then, she watched him walk towards it. She was very aware that he knew she was watching him. But, she just didn't know how to react. All her life, she wanted to see Eichi again and now this little boy stood in front of her, who was a complete clone of her beloved. Before he touched the doorknob, he turned to face her.
“Miss Full Moon, when I come out, will you tell me about this person whom I resemble?”
She stood up straight, “Okay.”
Very rarely did she get to talk about Eichi nowadays. No one was around to hear about him anymore. Her friends from school only seemed to ask about Takuto, their music idol. She didn't mind talking about him, but it was hard to keep secrets from the girls. So, Takuto kept his distance from her in public. That was why she had to wait until she was sixteen to enter the music business on her own without a guardian, sort of. The only legal guardian on paper was Wakaouji Keichi, her doctor. Takuto was her guardian in everything else. The bathroom door soon opened and out walked the little version of her beloved.
He sat down in front of her and smiled, “I'm ready to listen.”
They took a seat, as her heart thudded out of her chest, ready to begin her conversation on Eichi. She hadn't said his name in a long time. But this time, when she did, tears formed in her eyes and spilled over as she started her story.
“His name was Eichi, too. Sakurai Eichi. He was six years older than me. We were both orphans and one day, he said he loved me. But, I was so scared that I rejected him. But I really did love him more than anyone else in the world! He died when I was ten years old, in a plane crash.”
Her reflection on her memories of Eichi made her happy.
When she looked at the little boy in front of her, she smiled, “I'm sorry for making you listen to this. You probably want to hear stories about the Pika Rangers and how they saved Tokyo. Little boys like that, right?”
Reaching for a napkin, she lowered her gaze and dried her tears. Within seconds, she felt two small arms engulf her. Gasping in surprise, she looked up and saw him smiling tenderly at her. Her body trembled at his touch. She was so ashamed that a boy ten years younger than her was making her feel this way, but she still put her arms around him. Her cries only became louder in his arms. Her tongue continuously apologized for her actions.
“Full Moon, can I confess something?”
She knit her eyebrows, in confusion, and slowly shook her head up and down. After all, it couldn't be worse than what she had just said and just exposed this little boy to. Adult love.
“Little boys might like the Pika Rangers and how they helped Tokyo. But this little boy would rather have you by his side. You see, I've loved you ever since I was two years old, Mitsuki.”